Page 64 of 79 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    $60 feels pretty expensive for a level 90. Think about what $60 could get you elsewhere? I don't disagree with the price, but I personally thought it'd be closer to $30 / $40 which would also make it more accessible.
    Its not supposed to be more accessible... otherwise everyone would buy it all the time.
    Blizzard clearly doesnt want it to be cheap like the mounts that people buy left and right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombadrol View Post
    In short;
    - it's about the game being more fun (for me at least) when it feels like a level playing field. It is not because I don't want other people to have nice things.
    (I also think RaF and SoR was bad, and paid 90 in the shop is, in a way, the next step in the evolution.)
    If you are lvl 100 with ilvl 600 gear, and they are lvl 90 with ilvl 483 gear (and no profs at all), it is unbalanced... in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    But whats next? Buying Achievements/Gear/professions. Whats the point of an MMO if you can buy your way to the finish.
    90 isnt the finish in wod. its 100.
    same as RaF and level 80 when max is 90.

I am perfectly fine with the price, hell Id pay $100 per character to skip the awfulness that is MOP leveling. I plan to upgrade my last 4 85's doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    If you are lvl 100 with ilvl 600 gear, and they are lvl 90 with ilvl 483 gear (and no profs at all), it is unbalanced... in your favor.
    By level playing field I mean, that your financial situation shouldn't be reflected in-game. It makes it feel less like a World... I'm 100% sure the creative people at Blizzard agree with this - I'm also 100% sure that the company makes so much money on microtransactions, that this will of course not change.

10+ Year Old Account
    By level playing field I mean, that your financial situation shouldn't be reflected in-game. It makes it feel less like a World... I'm 100% sure the creative people at Blizzard agree with this - I'm also 100% sure that the company makes so much money on microtransactions, that this will of course not change.
    - Mounts
    - Hoods
    - Pets
    - Name changes
    - Guild name changes
    - Race changes
    - etc

Anytime you use a service, your real world financial status is displayed. Just like the real world. I have no right to get pissed at the porsche driver next to me. If I want a porsche, I should go buy one. I think there is more to this than most people let on. It is usually some form of jealousy, or anger. Maybe they are mad that we can skip the 90 levels they had to grind.

We are all getting a free 90 in WoD. I highly doubt someone who is offended by the process will just tell Blizz to take it back cause they don't want it. Also, if Blizz agreed with you, this service would never have come to light.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Its not supposed to be more accessible... otherwise everyone would buy it all the time.
    Blizzard clearly doesnt want it to be cheap like the mounts that people buy left and right.
    Blizzard priced it at what the market would bear. Nobody new plays WOW unless it is players children. It is a ten year old game. $60 seems to be the threshold people will pay to not have to level again. I think it is high but truthfully I will pay it. The leveling in this game after the 7th or 8th time is just painful.

The point is that Blizzard is monetizing the solution to a problem that they themselves introduced -- all while still maintaining a mandatory subscription-fee. Leveling is boring as hell for most players, so clearly *something* needs to be done. By selling 90's, Blizzard has elected the lazy solution of "just let them skip everything", but are also gating that option behind an additional purchase; the price itself is moot, it's the principle.

There are tons of free-to-play MMO's on the market, so why do so many players still choose to have a subscription? The answer is simple; because subscription MMO's are the only ones that are truly "fair games". Everyone is on an even playing-field. With most F2P games, players who shell out more will receive substantial advantages over those who do not. It would be like offering the choice to play a game of Street Fighter II for a quarter, or allowing you to play for free, but you only start with a sliver of health unless you pay the owner money to raise it.

By selling 90's, Blizzard is effectively choosing the worst of both worlds; they're selling a clear advantage while also charging you (three times over, I might add) to even play. This method has failed in literally every other game to utilize it, so even from a strictly monetary point of view, it is incredibly short-sighted. It won't any new players, and will alienate existing players. They'll make a great deal of money initially, but then players will leave in mass exodus -- again, as has been shown in literally every other MMO to make this transition -- until Blizzard is forced to go free-to-play with WoW. At that point, the game will shift from end-game focus, to new-player focus, because it will be the only lucrative option left.

It's bad business, it's bad game-design, and it's bad for players. That Blizzard is seriously considering this shows true ignorance on behalf of whomever is pushing such a short-sighted agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    The point is that Blizzard is monetizing the solution to a problem that they themselves introduced...
    This a really good point.

Blizzard did an amazing job to make so many people think that this is just a-ok.
    Last edited by mbrmbr; 2014-03-06 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    The point is that Blizzard is monetizing the solution to a problem that they themselves introduced -- all while still maintaining a mandatory subscription-fee. Leveling is boring as hell for most players, so clearly *something* needs to be done. By selling 90's, Blizzard has elected the lazy solution of "just let them skip everything", but are also gating that option behind an additional purchase; the price itself is moot, it's the principle.

There are tons of free-to-play MMO's on the market, so why do so many players still choose to have a subscription? The answer is simple; because subscription MMO's are the only ones that are truly "fair games". Everyone is on an even playing-field. With most F2P games, players who shell out more will receive substantial advantages over those who do not. It would be like offering the choice to play a game of Street Fighter II for a quarter, or allowing you to play for free, but you only start with a sliver of health unless you pay the owner money to raise it.

By selling 90's, Blizzard is effectively choosing the worst of both worlds; they're selling a clear advantage while also charging you (three times over, I might add) to even play. This method has failed in literally every other game to utilize it, so even from a strictly monetary point of view, it is incredibly short-sighted. It won't any new players, and will alienate existing players. They'll make a great deal of money initially, but then players will leave in mass exodus -- again, as has been shown in literally every other MMO to make this transition -- until Blizzard is forced to go free-to-play with WoW. At that point, the game will shift from end-game focus, to new-player focus, because it will be the only lucrative option left.

It's bad business, it's bad game-design, and it's bad for players. That Blizzard is seriously considering this shows true ignorance on behalf of whomever is pushing such a short-sighted agenda.
    Even if they gave us all new content. Even if they tripled the xp gain rate. Even if they offered one piece of BoA gear for every 6 months you are subbed. It still would not matter. Some of us just don't feel like grinding 90 levels for the 6th time, or 10th time, or 20th time. My last two characters were power leveled. One in dungeons only and the other in pet battles only.

The ever climbing ceiling is a real issue. Blizz needs to reduce the number of quests per zone to 20, not 120, and increase the XP gain to match the current perks. Then, no one would outlevel a zone, players could get a complete storyline, and the flight path to the NEXT ZONE should automatically unlock. This would let you level, in a VERY fast period of time, but, would still take the player through EVERY zone and provide a linear path.

Will Blizz ever do it? I hope so... but the realist in me says, "Not likely."

Indeed, they need to do a bit of an overhaul, to be honest. The current path of progression just isn't working. The game was design to level 1-60, and which each new expansion, Blizzard tried to emulate that experience, at the cost of the new player (or even alt-character)'s experience. It is a pretty fundamental problem, and Blizzard's only solutions thus far have been "just speed them through the old stuff as quickly as possible", and on the horizon we have "just let them skip it entirely", at a cost at that.

I also agree, such dramatic change is unlikely... but given that even WoW's current subs dwarf any MMO to come before or since, it would probably be to their benefit to do so. Even without a complete overhaul, though, there are far better options than just "sell 90's".

Deleted
    I don't mind paying 60 notes, I have plenty.

Here is the issue. Leveling is stale, and not fun at all for people who have played wow for more than a year.

Here are the two ways they can fix it.

1) Completely change how leveling is done, change the mechanics, change the questing/dungeons to be 10x more fun.

SIDE EFFECTS MAY INCLUDE: No new content for a year, recycled PvP gear, No new raids, no new dungeons, see what i am getting at?

2) Give a free level 90, and sell level 90, So that people can skip over the unfavorable content. Include a brand new tutorial that extensively explains your class/how to play at a 90+ level.

SIDE EFFECTS MAY INCLUDE: People complaining about pay to play, more people experiencing end game. Brand spanking new content based around level 90+. New dungeons, new mechanics, new class abilities, More people understanding their class better.

WHICH OPTION WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE PEOPLE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephius View Post
    Here is the issue. Leveling is stale, and not fun at all for people who have played wow for more than a year.

1) Completely change how leveling is done, change the mechanics, change the questing/dungeons to be 10x more fun.

SIDE EFFECTS MAY INCLUDE: No new content for a year, recycled PvP gear, No new raids, no new dungeons, see what i am getting at?

2) Give a free level 90, and sell level 90, So that people can skip over the unfavorable content. Include a brand new tutorial that extensively explains your class/how to play at a 90+ level.

SIDE EFFECTS MAY INCLUDE: People complaining about pay to play, more people experiencing end game. Brand spanking new content based around level 90+. New dungeons, new mechanics, new class abilities, More people understanding their class better.

I find the above to be true. On the other hand, some of us know we are tired of grinding 90 levels. If it took 12 hours of gameplay to see all the zones and hit lvl 90, I would totally level and never pay a dime. But, on an average, it takes 3-6 times that for the semi-average player. It is worth it for me to spend $60 and save 40 hours of grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephius View Post

What an incredibly loaded post.

Like the above poster said, there is so much more to this issue than "i are bored of lvling". The entire principle of charging their players to skip the game they just bought because blizzard can't keep it fresh is misguided, short sighted, and borderline evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post

Like the above poster said, there is so much more to this issue than "i are bored of lvling". The entire principle of charging their players to skip the game they just bought because blizzard can't keep it fresh is misguided, short sighted, and borderline evil.
    Evil? *snicker*

No, seriously. There is no pressure to pay for the service. I don't see how it can be 'evil' in any fashion if it is up to the individual to buy the service. It's an option for convenience. Even if they made leveling different and 'fun', it will still be time consuming, and therefore unappealing to a certain group of people. This option is to let said group of people skip content that they have no desire to do. Don't like it? Don't use it. I won't be; I actually enjoy 'twinking' a character as I level while doing battlegrounds and fully intend to do that if I level another character.

The playing field is level...a boosted level 90 is no different than a non boosted 90 in any meaningful way. Unless you think your /played stat is meaningful. Or are you worried about a flood of new 90s?

- - - Updated - - -

They are allowing you to get to the fresh part without requiring you to play though the old. Wow is basically 5 games piled into one at this point. I think people should experience the old content but 50+hrs of level grinding might be a barrier to entry for a new character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    They are allowing you to get to the fresh part without requiring you to play though the old. Wow is basically 5 games piled into one at this point. I think people should experience the old content but 50+hrs of level grinding might be a barrier to entry for a new character.
    They can make old content relevant at level cap by boosting the content or lowering a player's level to be appropriate to the content and offering end-game currency or rewards (aka Rift's mentor system), there was some evidence that Blizzard was playing around w/this in regards to old content dungeons but I haven't heard a word about it in several months now. Hopefully they didn't scrap it entirely, I agree that old content is essentially not being used as effectively as it could be.

If they "just bought" the game, then they probably ought not to go purchasing a 90, should they?

The service is clearly designed for people who have already gone through the content a half-dozen or more times and don't want to experience it anymore. It's not intended for people "who just bought the game" but if they want to use it, who gives a shit? It literally doesn't matter at all to anyone ever.
    Last edited by Radish Spirit; 2014-03-06 at 10:19 PM. Reason: doublequote

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    If they "just bought" the game, then they probably ought not to go purchasing a 90, should they?

The service is clearly designed for people who have already gone through the content a half-dozen or more times and don't want to experience it anymore. It's not intended for people "who just bought the game" but if they want to use it, who gives a shit? It literally doesn't matter at all to anyone ever.
    It doesn't matter if newer players with a little bit of $$ NEVER have to quest through 9 years worth of lore? That's a little depressing, even to me.