Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I understood the laughing scene just fine, actually. That doesn't change the fact that it was very cheesy and awkward to watch for a great many people. Nor does it render my core point invalid: that Tidus came across as 'whiny'.

I enjoyed the game overall though it was not a game without its flaws.
    It really doesn't help that the script is translated from Japanese which sometimes can result in the lose of nuance, the fact that back then they didn't re-lip-sync the graphics (probably lack of technology) so the VAs have to adapt to the onscreen graphics instead of the other around resulting in awkward speech patterns and in general they didn't hire the best actors and directors.

The laughing scene was Blizzard quality bad.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Probably because it is. Emulators are very rarely accurate. Fully accurate emulators require a lot of CPU power (e.g. Higan; 3Ghz modern CPU to emulate the ancient hardware of the SNES running at <5Mhz).
    Pretty much, yep. It's a world of pain to accurately simulate hardware. Complexity is pretty much limitless, depending on how far you are willing to go.

Though for practical intents and purposes, PCSX-2 is accurate enough to play many games. Since I never had a console, I'm happy that it exists and enabled me to play FF-X.

It really doesn't help that the script is translated from Japanese which sometimes can result in the lose of nuance, the fact that back then they didn't re-lip-sync the graphics (probably lack of technology) so the VAs have to adapt to the onscreen graphics instead of the other around resulting in awkward speech patterns and in general they didn't hire the best actors and directors.

The laughing scene was Blizzard quality bad.
    To be frank the Japanese version of that scene sounds even more ridiculous.

Probably because it is. Emulators are very rarely accurate. Fully accurate emulators require a lot of CPU power (e.g. Higan; 3Ghz modern CPU to emulate the ancient hardware of the SNES running at <5Mhz).
    I have a decent built ala 2013 or so. I emulated the entire dot hack gu series flawlessly except for slightly odd sound filters. Like almost correct, but just off. not enough to spoil the game at all. I agree it's not the level of OEM performance, but if I can emulate ps2 games almost scot free. I regret selling my copies

PSX/super nintendo, sega etc. all emulate flawlessly and identically to OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I...don't know, really.

I'm all for solo content in MMOs, but trying to make a "challenge" out of it always just seems like folly to me. As you touched on, the games just don't lend themselves well to it, especially one with a combat engine like FFXIV.

That said, things like Brawlers Guild and Proving Grounds in WoW actually provided a fair challenge to many players. So I suppose the potential is there. It won't be a significant challenge to the best players, but I suppose everyone is used to that.
    Agreed, I somewhat enjoyed brawlers guild, but as a Ret it was really easy. I had more healing/defensives than most classes. The only fight I even had an inkling of a tough time with was the one tron where you had to kill enemies to push the electrical conduit to the other side of the room. Took me 1 extra try to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Chocobos/Companions. Obviously, Chocobos need to be improved in order to be able to actually hold threat, but aren't there more companions on the way around the same time? So you'll be able to use companions to fill in your gaps.
    Fair point. I can see the value in that, but then what about someone who never leveled their chocobo? Can they still do it or no? I only vaguely remember the comment about more companions. Not sure if they're in lieu of or in addition to.

They are having gear specific to the Deep Dungeons - i.e. gear that works only for it; only useful for glamour outside it - though, so they can probably patch up any class weaknesses with that without affecting the rest of the game.

So it's possible it will be more "balanced" than Brawler's Guild in the sense that there won't be a class at a severe disadvantage.

Don't think they are going for an "arcade" type of challenge though - i.e. git gud or quit - at least I hope not.
    Hmm... Even still how is it supposed to be engaging? So the gear prevents a BLM from dying in 2-3 hits, but then what, does he just do his rotation, step out of telegraphs, for a while then move to the next room/floor?

The simplest solution is to just have gear to compensate for class weaknesses.

Take too much damage as a caster? There is Deep Dungeon gear restricted to healing/DPS classes to fix that.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Fair point. I can see the value in that, but then what about someone who never leveled their chocobo? Can they still do it or no? I only vaguely remember the comment about more companions. Not sure if they're in lieu of or in addition to.
    I posted this a while back as well, when SC was railing against the HT and offering very odd, entire system changing solutions. Here is was was said about it ~13 Months ago at PAX East by Yoshida:

http://gamerescape.com/2015/03/09/pa...naoki-yoshida/
    They are not currently planning on adding new modes (i.e. hard/extreme/savage) to existing ARR battles, although if there was sufficient demand for “Titan super hard extreme mode” he’d of course consider it. He has considered adding official speed runs on dungeons with a ranking system, so they are seeing what they can create on that aspect, which could include ARR dungeons. Yoshida is also still considering removing the class/job restrictions on existing dungeons to allow people to go in solo, or perhaps with a team of NPCs. The NPC system being considered, for example, is to be able to take members of your Grand Company and raise a team or squad that could fight with you. Unfortunately, this new system would not, however, include your Chocobo Companion. They are considering a gambit-system for the Chocobo Companion (and Magitek). This system is pretty definite, but includes a few aspects, and is perhaps a year or so away from release.
    So, not entirely sure, but it seems like, Chocobos and Magitek will be getting a Gambit system similar to FFXII. The rest of what I say is speculation, but I would venture to guess that with a Gambit System they would have to redesign the current abilities, including taunts and therefore ability to hold threat. The other NPC system sounds pretty neat too, but not a lot of info on that.

As to people who have not leveled their chocobos, well, I guess they'll have too. I mean for any other content in the game, if I want to participate, I have to level something, whether it is classes, or ilvl on gear, you have to prepare in order to be able to do content, how is this any different? Want to participate in end-level dungeons? Get your ilvl up. Want to be able to do Deep Dungeon Solo content? You need to level your companions.

Hmm... Even still how is it supposed to be engaging? So the gear prevents a BLM from dying in 2-3 hits, but then what, does he just do his rotation, step out of telegraphs, for a while then move to the next room/floor?

See above.
    Those are the problems I see too. However, with a companion/Gambit system, there is more complexity involved. You have to decide what companions suit you at the time and adjust your gambits to the current situation. At least to me, in FFXII, I really loved that. It was crazy how difficult some fights could be, then make a few changes to your gambits and bam, super easy.

I want to take my chocobo as a healer and my retainer as a 2nd DPS >:3

I'll ninja tank it like the ninja of Vana'diel!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Step out of telegraphs AND adjust his loadout (gear, potions, ... etc.) - gear can even provide new spells and potions various effects.

To be frank, if mobs don't have an ultra-strong unavoidable auto attack ... there is no need for a tank.

Won't be surprised if combat is primarily around knowing when and what to attack, and when to retreat and recover (and rebuff + what buffs to use).

Not as hardcore as that but you get the idea.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    I just discovered that you can trade 3 G5 Materia vs an unidentified shell/gem.

Haha.

- - - Updated - - -

To be frank, if mobs don't have an ultra-strong unavoidable auto attack ... there is no need for a tank.
    A tank is needs for coordinated strategy. Someone has to have the aggro and position the mob correctly so the rest of the raid doesn't get hit by cone AEs etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    some super-intense solo boss fight like that.
    *Black mage steps in and start casting*

Hold it..

wait...

any second now...

BÄM! In your face!

*boss looks unimpressed*

Okay ... there is more where that came from. *BLM starts another cast*

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I just discovered that you can trade 3 G5 Materia vs an unidentified shell/gem.

Haha.
    News to me also. Guess I missed that in the patch notes. Not that I would do that trade...I'm using those for the lore gear I'm still acquiring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    News to me also. Guess I missed that in the patch notes. Not that I would do that trade...I'm using those for the lore gear I'm still acquiring.
    Sorry I meant Carbonized matter, not Materia. The reagent you need to socket materia.
    Well G5s cost 6K in the AH.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again, you're talking about an entirely different game and systems. FFXIV isn't going to have some super-intense solo boss fight like that, the game engine and systems just don't lend themselves to it.
    IMHO SE has already kind of been toying with the idea.

Some MSQ with instanced fights can be quite tough - don't tell me you haven't died and had to rely on the Echo to clear at least a few of them.

Not as intense as Bloodborne of course but it can still be entertaining as you look for opening where it's safe to cast / move in for an attack.

- - - Updated - - -

A tank is needs for coordinated strategy. Someone has to have the aggro and position the mob correctly so the rest of the raid doesn't get hit by cone AEs etc.
    Or you can just make the AoE not as far reaching/wide such that players can realistically get the fuck out of the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some MSQ with instanced fights can be quite tough - don't tell me you haven't died and had to rely on the Echo to clear at least a few of them.
    Erm ... no? Why would I die during a quest unless I am severely undergeared. Also quests don't give echo stacks, unless they changed that.
    Or are you talking about Primals/Trials? These are essentially Onyxia style raid bosses. (Tiny dungeon, next to 0 trash one boss)

The problem is "watch for an opening where you can cast" does not work at all with the current class design. Heavy movement encounters are a nightmare as iss when you play Blackmage.

Sorry I meant Carbonized matter, not Materia. The reagent you need to socket materia.
    Well G5s cost 6K in the AH.
    Where at, exactly? Been thumbing around for info on this and not finding anything.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Erm ... no? Why would I die during a quest unless I am severely undergeared. Also quests don't give echo stacks, unless they changed that.
    Or are you talking about Primals/Trials? These are essentially Onyxia style raid bosses. (Tiny dungeon, next to 0 trash one boss)

The problem is "watch for an opening where you can cast" does not work at all with the current class design. Heavy movement encounters are a nightmare as iss when you play Blackmage.
    Instanced fights ... you know the ones that ask you to click on a marker, tells you your level will be sync if above X then ports you into an instance.

BLM have the longest wind up in the game, however mobs can be designed to have long wind up and recovery times for their moves too. Stacking spell speed would help as will using items that can slow the mob.

It won't be as intense as Bloodborne where the window for attack is like a faction of a second.

- - - Updated - - -

But they're intense for different reasons. Reasons that don't translate well into single-player encounters.

No, because then you've removed a portion of what I mentioned above. The encounters being predicated on everyone having their own job and role and how those roles interact with one another.
    Err ... those MSQ instanced fights are single player encounters ...

As for your second point ... I'm not sure how it applies since we are talking about Deep Dungeon fights, fights that can be done solo. The "own role" thing isn't relevant as you have to be a "omni-fighter" balancing attack, defense and HP recovery.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2016-04-26 at 11:55 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I thought you were talking about the Primal fights or whatever.

And no, none of the single player story stuff was any challenge, at least not that I can recall.
    Not wipe for hours on end challenge but you have died / fail a few encounters a few times no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Where at, exactly? Been thumbing around for info on this and not finding anything.
    Umm I think it was Hismena. The Eso-Upgrade item seller. NPC on the right.

I saw it today when I was trading in some void ark currency for the 210 upgrade stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Instanced fights ... you know the ones that ask you to click on a marker, tells you your level will be sync if above X then ports you into an instance.
    Yeah no. These don't give echo buffs.

I died to one of them when I was a noob and didn't know the game well (Garlean fort I didn't notice the healer in time -> some sort of enrage).
    Today? Not a chance, since I know how to play now.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah no. These don't give echo buffs.

I died to one of them when I was a noob and didn't know the game well (Garlean fort I didn't notice the healer in time -> some sort of enrage).
    Today? Not a chance, since I know how to play now.
    They do, you just have to die/fail a few times.

SE is smart enough to know that having players stuck on mandatory quests is not a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    They do, you just have to die/fail a few times.
    Mmh.. okay.

See: there's your proof that I never died much.

I had the most trouble with Paladin class quests. If your gear is not up to snuff, these can be quite brutal.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mmh.. okay.

See: there's your proof that I never died much.

I had the most trouble with Paladin class quests. If your gear is not up to snuff, these can be quite brutal.
    Paladin ... die ... surely you jest. :P

Seriously though, I have gotten 5 stacks (the max) on some of the MSQs instances because either I didn't pay attention to the instructions or my internet decided it hates me and giving my high latency.