Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    They do consistently update the visuals from expansion to expansion, but WoW is such a huge game that it's impractical to update everything. Certain models, textures, maps etc. are still using their vanilla versions, but the vast majority of the current content looks very modern by comparison.

They did upgrade graphics of the Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms on release of Cataclysm expansion, and they do raise a plank in terms of graphics every expansion, all major cities look far better now than during Vanilla days. Also, WoW engine is made on Warcraft 3 base so even with major improvements you can't overcome some fundamental limitations of the engine especially with the amount of content they already have.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hogger/Meatball and gnoll friends desperately need a new model, in followup of the kobolds and troggs being the classic "ugly" ones, which got updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    They have updated. They haven't updated older content though. Textures could be upgraded but currently there is no reason since older content isn't made relevent.
    They can't just flip a switch to fix the textures, they'd have to make entirely new textures and paint over the existing terrain. Then you have a fancy floor and crappy objects, so you'll have to go and recreate every tree and shrub like they did in Elwynn.

They do. If you put a Vanilla zone and a Legion zone next to each other, you'd easily be able to see the difference. They just don't go back and update old content frequently because it's a lot of resources spent for something a vast minority of people care about.

When they find excuses, they do it (yeti/wolf model updates, etc, Cataclysm revamp). Otherwise, it's not worth it to them updating the world every couple of years.

Added to that is the fact WoW is meant to be available on as wide a range of computers as possible, including ones older than most "hardcore" gamers would own. That's one reason for its success; other MMOs have system requirements that are too high for a lot of player's PCs, but they can play WoW just fine because the base engine hasn't changed too much.

The title should read: "Why doesn't Blizz do this thing they've already done?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    If we look at League of Legends and other such games, over the years there have been massive graphical improvements.

But with WoW it looks fairly similar to when it first was developed. I get that they want to go for a certain artstyle but some of the textures in particular look like a game from the ps2/xbox era.

Shouldn't Blizz give this more attention? It no doubt is a major factor why new players don't bother trying the game out.
    The fuck have you been playing the last 10 years? WoW has improved massively. How ignorant can you be to not know? It does NOT look "fairly similar" to when it launched. What a bunch of horseshit.
    The engine is the old WC3 engine for fuck sake. There's only so much you can do with it. They'd have to relaunch the game, remake it from the core, and that would take a LOT of work, not to mention how it might come with other problems, like relaunching the worlds most popular MMO.
    Have you ever seen how people flip their shit over changes like the ones we had with the updated models? You think Blizz could actually change the entire game engine without being completely shat on over it? Fuck no.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    I said this in another thread, when they stop supporting people who play on potatoes they probably could make the game look much better.
    Those potato owners' money have same value with you so don't expect that.

And I think this post is utterly useless as probably OP has no info of how WoW was and is now and new to the game coming from games like Black Desert or something with pretty boob physics.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    They can't just flip a switch to fix the textures, they'd have to make entirely new textures and paint over the existing terrain. Then you have a fancy floor and crappy objects, so you'll have to go and recreate every tree and shrub like they did in Elwynn.
    I don't think a lot of people understand how texture resolution and object detail work together.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Current WoW has a lot of problems, but graphics isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynkeus View Post
    pretty boob physics.
    Ironically, some of the old models did have boob physics. The female dwarf and undead models were pretty blatant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have visual proof so we can compare side by side?
    lolwut? Have you just not played the game for the past like... three years?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    If we look at League of Legends and other such games, over the years there have been massive graphical improvements.

But with WoW it looks fairly similar to when it first was developed. I get that they want to go for a certain artstyle but some of the textures in particular look like a game from the ps2/xbox era.

Shouldn't Blizz give this more attention? It no doubt is a major factor why new players don't bother trying the game out.
    do you have any idea how fked up an engine is that is running a game for over 13 years? do you know how much it would take to overhaul the complete game? please don't compare this to a shitty MOBA with its handful of maps and models.
    have you EVER looked back at vanilla wow? google it and then please tell me again the game looks the same...ffs...

I said this in another thread, when they stop supporting people who play on potatoes they probably could make the game look much better.
    Well I mean considering there are settings for literally everything to up or down your visuals, supporting potatoes does not affect the visuals when set at the top level...
    Quote Originally Posted by Histidine View Post
    WoW is great.
    Not sure what game people are playing; I love the way things are.
    What bosses will be in the Deathwing Raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    Leg 1, Leg 2, Hind Legs is a duo boss fight, Wings, Tail, Head and last Heroic mode only boss is his Chin. Totally optional and only for those hardcore enough. It's jaw dropping!

Have you seen the Argus skyboxes? They are beautiful compared to the ones in WoD.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Ironically, some of the old models did have boob physics. The female dwarf and undead models were pretty blatant.
    Don't forget the human female's breasts swelling up and down every time they took a breath.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

They do, it's just iterative and the way WoW works with new expansions introducing new zones means that most of the graphical improvements take place in new areas while old ones are relatively untouched.

Aside from a few graphic engine changes eg, water and lighting effects, the Vanilla world does still look like ass. But that's just how the game works. And the vast majority of the playerbase is in the newer zones these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I remember the old female dwarf rock-in-a-sock...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    when they update the engine to take proper advantage of more than 1 CPU core, they will be able to better support the potatoes and add options to make the game look better on high end systems at the same time.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

People act like this game still looks like Vanilla. It's insanely different now than it was in 2004. Graphically, it's almost a totally different game.
    Last edited by ablib; 2017-10-29 at 01:44 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because redoing 1 Map in LoL is tantamount to redoing the entirety of WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I remember the old female dwarf rock-in-a-sock...
    I figured it gave extra damage on Warrior Charge.