Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

Self-defense, what do you recommend?

I realized the other day that I haven't carried any sort of self-defense since I lived in Chicago, and that I really should start carrying something to protect myself and my very wimpy 70-lb Golden Retriever when we are on walks. Just in case.

What sort of self defense weapon do you recommend overall, and why?

https://www.range365.com/best-self-defense-handgun
    http://www.selfdefenseninja.com/
    https://www.asecurelife.com/self-defense-without-a-gun/

I'd like to take some classes on how to shoot one day (I grew up in AK and it's a bit shameful that I don't know how to shoot), but if I do it would likely be for rifle use for hunting game rather than self-defense.

Despite what some people say about the NRA, they still have to best courses out there for firearm safety

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I realized the other day that I haven't carried any sort of self-defense since I lived in Chicago, and that I really should start carrying something to protect myself and my very wimpy 70-lb Golden Retriever when we are on walks. Just in case.

I'd like to take some classes on how to shoot one day (I grew up in AK and it's a bit shameful that I don't know how to shoot), but if I do it would likely be for rifle use for hunting game rather than self-defense. .
    The real answer is you need to go to the shop, and see how a number of them feel in your hand, and shoot them. Ergonomics is essential in a high stress situation. You need to have a weapon you're not afraid of. Gun nerds will bore you with a bunch of stats on size of ammuniton, actions, sights, etc. Brass tacks is they're all deadly, fairly easy to use, and at the ranges you're dealing with in a self-defense scenario, plenty accurate. Get one you don't mind carrying, can operate easily, and feels good in your hand.

Taking classes and spending a good amount of time at the range familiarizing yourself with the weapon is a damn good idea. Also consider getting a small biometric safe to store it on your nightstand, especially if you have little ones at home. Good luck and have fun!

Self defense course. It gives you non-lethal options, and also teaches you how to respond to a variety of situations the right way.

I'd recommend a phone, a fast pair of shoes, or if symptoms persist, a passport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If guns are widely available in your country... then a gun, if not I'd go with a self-defence course -- ideally I'd go with both.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-11-28 at 03:04 AM.

If you aint stupid or careless then i would say get a gun.

Its the only thing that will stop a person who is determined to do you harm.

Things like mace and pepper spray will give you a good running head start but it will most likely piss the person off even more increasing your chances of being killed.

Bursa thunder 380 is what I use. Used about $250-$300.

Pepper spray would be my second choice.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'm never touching a gun for self-defense.

Been carrying pepper spray in my purse, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't live in the US but the answer should be obvious if you do. Get something with plenty of stopping power like a colt .45 M1911.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Been carrying pepper spray in my purse, though.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

I'd like to take some classes on how to shoot one day (I grew up in AK and it's a bit shameful that I don't know how to shoot), but if I do it would likely be for rifle use for hunting game rather than self-defense.

Myself I would learn how to shoot and handle a gun, but learn and use self defense techniques before using a gun.

You know that a knife beats a gun on personal defense.. but most ppl always choose the gun. I call that darwinism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I love my 1911, but for a novice I'd recommend a simpler hand gun. Disassembly and cleaning a 1911 can be somewhat intensive for newbies.
    Ahh, I had no idea...

One can't go wrong with a glock 9mm in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    You know that a knife beats a gun on personal defense.. but most ppl always choose the gun. I call that darwinism.
    Never bring a knife to a gun fight!

Lets be real if you live in the US then 9 times out of 10 the person mugging you or wishes to do you harm will use a gun.

Plus not many people have what it takes to plunge a knife into someone but pulling a trigger well anyone can do that even under huge stress and fear.

Nothing. Just never leave the house.

Hi everyone. Former international competitor in Judo, pro fighter, coach/instructor and affiliate of the NYS Rape & Assault Prevention Council. So, there really aren't any easy answers to self defense. Whenever someone's attacking you right then, a weapon helps, but only as much as you're an expert in using it, and only as much as it doesn't become a distraction from you protecting yourself, and dealing with your assailant.

In order to be proficient in defending yourself, you need to actually work at it, a lot. You're generally not going to be able to respond the right way under duress regardless of what option you choose, unless you actually work at it, and get comfortable with it under at least a limited amount of pressure. Introducing a gun, or a knife, or something else may freak out someone who wants something material from you, or isn't prepared to do something serious, but in other situations, its just going to create a 'jump ball' situation for that weapon. Just as well, leaning on a less than lethal weapon without really knowing what you're doing, and how to work properly isn't going to help much either if you're inexperienced, and your assailant is.

Guns are obviously the supreme choice in this situation, but its important to remember that a gun's most natural use is damaging things that are far away (not in immediate arms' reach). Since a lot of altercations/situations happen closer than that, if you're going to rely on a gun, you need to be practicing how to draw, engage, and protect the gun from whoever's attacking you, rather than just whipping it out and throwing it up for grabs. You also need to consider that a lot of situations do not warrant a gun, and introducing them is ill advised and unsafe at best, and likely a crime at less than that.

The best advice I'd give is to pick a few things you're going to rely on, focus heavily on practice with them, and include situational awareness and 'tact' in terms of how you're going to react to a potential altercation, to not only protect yourself, but avoid hurting people unnecessarily and/or going to jail. Like I said, there's no easy answers, and it takes a lot of time and effort to be really proficient.

Anything besides a gun is just increasing your chances to be severely beaten worse for not immediately handing over your wallet/purse.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    No it doesn't you are just an edgelord.
    Probably watched a recent Punisher episode.