10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    It is not based on personal performance. Other people affect your rating heavily and that's not personal performance.
    In individual matches that's the case. Over the course of a season, it averages out. Even the SR from a given match isn't based wholly on that match, your hidden MMR also heavily influences the outcome of the awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharjo View Post
    You need far fewer than 1000 to see an effect. Otherwise no one would ever climb. You're overestimating the effect of throwers and the like.
    I am not. I have dropped 200 rating due to them this season.

Deleted
    I am not. I have dropped 200 rating due to them this season.
    So? Can people not climb then, unless they play 1000+ matches? Is everyone's SR due only to luck?

If you're better than your SR suggests, the enemy team in fact has a larger chance to get bad players than yours. You should, on average, win more often if you are better than your SR. Once you've played a reasonable number of games, if your SR is dropping, it's because of you.

If you play well enough to climb, you will climb.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? Can people not climb then, unless they play 1000+ matches? Is everyone's SR due only to luck?

If you're better than your SR suggests, the enemy team in fact has a larger chance to get bad players than yours. You should, on average, win more often if you are better than your SR. Once you've played a reasonable number of games, if your SR is dropping, it's because of you.

If you're at the correct SR, the enemy has a higher chance of having players below where they should be.

People leaving or throwing is not because of me. I have 52% win rate but dropped 200 in rating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    If you're at the correct SR, the enemy has a higher chance of having players below where they should be.
    Do they? Surely if you're at exactly the mean, then the distribution of SRs on both teams would, on average, be exactly the same.

My point was more geared towards throwers/griefers. Each player slot is equally likely to be taken up by one of those, except yours, assuming you are not either of those things. Therefore, it's more likely that the enemy is to have such players than your team is. Further to the point, ignoring throwers and their kind, if you're playing above your SR (i.e. you're climbing/better than your SR suggests) then again, on average, your team will better, since enemy team has 6 random players, with an average SR of your current SR, and your team has only 5. Ergo, if you deserve to climb (you play well consistently and you aren't toxic), you will climb.

- - - Updated - - -

People leaving or throwing is not because of me.
    No, but assuming you are not a leaver or a thrower, the enemy team is more likely to have leavers/throwers than yours. i.e. this issue in fact works to inflate the SR of good players. Not the other way around.

Do they? Surely if you're at exactly the mean, then the distribution of SRs on both teams would, on average, be exactly the same.

My point was more geared towards throwers/griefers. Each player slot is equally likely to be taken up by one of those, except yours, assuming you are not either of those things. Therefore, it's more likely that the enemy is to have such players than your team is. Further to the point, ignoring throwers and their kind, if you're playing above your SR (i.e. you're climbing/better than your SR suggests) then again, on average, your team will better, since enemy team has 6 random players, with an average SR of your current SR, and your team has only 5. Ergo, if you deserve to climb (you play well consistently and you aren't toxic), you will climb.

- - - Updated - - -

No, but assuming you are not a leaver or a thrower, the enemy team is more likely to have leavers/throwers than yours. i.e. this issue in fact works to inflate the SR of good players. Not the other way around.
    Prove it instead of just talk that people don't drop because of throwing.

Deleted
    Prove it instead of just talk.
    Well, I'm trying to convey how the statistics of matchmaking over a population works, but you seem adamant on ignoring that.

Direct evidence: People who are good have high ratings.

Failing that, you can continue to whine about how throwers ruin your SR, and you are better than your SR, and I'll continue to disbelieve you while I, and everyone else who doesn't blame everything but themselves for losing, continue to improve and climb.

Well, I'm trying to convey how the statistics of matchmaking over a population works, but you seem adamant on ignoring that.

Direct evidence: People who are good have high ratings.

Failing that, you can continue to whine about how throwers ruin your SR, and you are better than your SR, and I'll continue to disbelieve you while I, and everyone else who doesn't blame everything but themselves for losing, continue to improve and climb.
    Prove that people don't drop in rating because of throwing.

Deleted
    Prove that people don't drop in rating because of throwing.
    I think you are ignoring a lot of what I'm saying in order to hold onto your belief that you are better at Overwatch than your SR suggests.

If you continue playing, be helpful on comms and improve your game, you'll climb just fine. I'm just trying to explain my thought process that keeps me playing in spite of the occasional loss due to throwers/leavers etc. in the hopes that this advise helps others keep playing and enjoying their games, like I do. I'm sorry if this doesn't help.

You're overestimating the effect of throwers and the like.
    I stopped playing the game because of the amount of throwers in the SEA region. People get so pissy fast here, indians speaking tamil, chinese just speaking mandarin, filippinos just speaking tagalog, thais just speaking thai, vietnamese just speaking vietnamese. It's a cluster fuck and as soon as you even suggest they talk english they will tell you to fuck off and then throw the game. The game is unplayable in SEA unless you play with a 6-man premade.

- - - Updated - - -

If you continue playing, be helpful on comms and improve your game, you'll climb just fine.
    Lmao.

Southeast asia
    Helpful on comms

Pick one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    snip
    Again, statistics, if you are good, the enemy has a higher probability of having a poor team than you do.

I think you are ignoring a lot of what I'm saying in order to hold onto your belief that you are better at Overwatch than your SR suggests.

If you continue playing, be helpful on comms and improve your game, you'll climb just fine. I'm just trying to explain my thought process that keeps me playing in spite of the occasional loss due to throwers/leavers etc. in the hopes that this advise helps others keep playing and enjoying their games, like I do. I'm sorry if this doesn't help.
    There is no way it is dropping because of me. I have played around 2800 for a long time and now I drop to 2600 because of throwers.

Deleted
    There is no way it is dropping because of me. I have played around 2800 for a long time and now I drop to 2600 because of throwers.
    If that's the case, climbing back up will be easy.
    In a small number of games (assuming you dropped 200SR from a loss streak) what I'm saying is not valid, so you're probably right.

Again, statistics, if you are good, the enemy has a higher probability of having a poor team than you do.
    Do you play on SEA servers? The team with the least amount of throwers win.

Just to quote peoples experience here with throwing:

"Let's talk about Competive in anything lower than Diamond in SEA.

It's fucking terrible. Every game there's 1 or 2 people on mic. 4 dps instalocks. Language barriers. And so much toxicity and throwing. Your hell is getting placed with Diamonds and Masters. My hell is being unable to climb in mid plat because everyone plays what they want, whether they're doing anything good.

The state of competitive in SEA has become a ground where the team with the least amount of throwers win. Out of 10 games at least 8 of them will have someone at the end of the game saying, "report XxXxXx". There is no way in hell that someone who wants to legitimately try to better themselves and try their absolute best to rank up, to get a good game fair string of games.

The mindset of the SEA community is terrible in that everyone plays whatever they want and get extremely toxic whenever they get asked to swap. So it's not just the higher ranks that are suffering. Someone like me in mid plat, can't get more than 2 straight games before no one wants to cooperate and we rock with 5 dps because everyone got mad at each other at the start.

It's one of the most discouraging things when you just play comp and hope that your team is cooperative. The SEA servers is just pure toxic and there is nothing anyone can do about it."

"southeast asia has not enough players, there isnt really a fix for this, except you might wanna play with high ping on an other server"

"TL;DR: Unhealthy matchmaking in Southeast Asia

If you have ever played in Southeast Asia, you would know how the competitive system struggles to create balanced matches due to lower population.

Firstly, I am a 42XX player and the highest SR game i have ever gotten was 41XX and that was only once in hundred of games. The average game I play ranges from 34XX to 39XX. This means that my potential SR gain is almost always lower than my potential lost despite of performance.

Even without all the negative behavior from other players, having to win 2+ games to cover 1 lost is pretty draining. It has come to a point where most of the higher SR players play to just prevent decay. The rest either reach their peak and let their SR decay or do placements towards the end of the season.

This results in an even lower amount of high SR players, which causes the cycle to constantly repeat. Maintaining a high SR has no longer become a test of skill but a test of luck due to this punishing system.

If the system can't find a fair game and puts me in a 34XX game as a result to prevent long queue time fine. It just seems that punishing players in similar situations with high SR lost and low SR gain as a result seems unfair. The system assumes that since the player is of a high SR he or she is expected to "carry" but in a team game is one persons effort really enough.

Blizzard should really consider standardizing SR gains and lost, so your potential lost is never more than your potential gain but equal instead."

"SEA player here. OP is correct, SEA matchmaking is terrible. I'd rather have longer queues for fair games than this horseshit. It is next to impossible to climb in high elo in solo queue in SEA unless you 1-trick for the phat performance SR gains. I play at odd hours sometimes, so the moment I try to solo queue my SR starts to drop exponentially even if I maintain a winrate > 50%. We're talking 10 SR for a win and minus 30 or more for a loss. In previous seasons, the high elo players in SEA (particularly people in the same semi-pro/pro teams) would just 6-stack to climb the ladder because you were bound to be punished by the system if you tried any other way.

If you get good ping to Korea, VPN. If not, try select Asia servers. You will get Taiwan or something but it's slightly better than this bullshit. I've posted this on Blizzard forums before, asking for a proper solo queue and standardized SR gains, because small servers are going to shit. Got downvoted to hell, something about "but my 4 gold medals"."

I've run into a 5-man premade who are keeping themselves around 3000 rating just to fuck with people. If you get them on your team when they're throwing you can't win, chances are you'll run into them an additional 3 or 4 times over the evening. If you get them on your team when they're raising their rating back to 3000 you're guaranteed to increase in rating if you get them several games in a row but if you get them when they're throwing, you're going to drop a lot. I've reported them countless of times without Blizzard doing anything about them.

If that's the case, climbing back up will be easy.
    In a small number of games (assuming you dropped 200SR from a loss streak) what I'm saying is not valid, so you're probably right.
    So why do you argue against it?

10+ Year Old Account
    2-300SR variance is piss all to be honest. That’s like 6-10 matches worth of SR.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Do you play on SEA servers? The team with the least amount of throwers win.
    That is my experience too. xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    2-300SR variance is piss all to be honest. That’s like 6-10 matches worth of SR.
    That's a lot of matches.

Keep reporting your symmetra/torb/hanzo/widow 1 tricks, hopefully after a couple hundred thousand more reports blizzard will do something, stevoo got a 4 day ban FeelsGood, but we dont want bans, we need blizzard to SYSTEMATICALY root these scum from the system make a group queu system, and get rid of rewards from solo queu comp and make them group queu only, make the compettive scene, actually competetive, not who has the less memers and trolls on their team. If 6 stacking only is the standard of play people like fuey/stevoo and their ilk will be ostracised from any pro/high end group and will effectively be banished! its just if blizzard has the balls to respect the people who actually enjoy playing the game properly.

And i dont want to hear well they just want to have fun blah blah bullshit, thats what quickplay is for. its like raiding in wow, to run a mythic raid you need 20 people on your server, you vet those 20 people, you constantly change, you adapt your group to the raid boss, you have specific times you play, thats what being truly competitive is about everyone on the same page, any type of queu system throws that out the door. and ttats why ow comp is AND WILL BE forever a cesspool unless blizzard GETS A GRIP ON HOW A GAME SYSTEM SHOULD FUNCTION.

That's a lot of matches.
    Not really, I used to play about 6-10 matches in an evening when I was still playing. Though, it could be all losses or 50/50 wins/losses or any other mix of outcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Keep reporting your symmetra/torb/hanzo/widow 1 tricks, hopefully after a couple hundred thousand more reports blizzard will do something, stevoo got a 4 day ban FeelsGood, but we dont want bans, we need blizzard to SYSTEMATICALY root these scum from the system make a group queu system, and get rid of rewards from solo queu comp and make them group queu only, make the compettive scene, actually competetive, not who has the less memers and trolls on their team. If 6 stacking only is the standard of play people like fuey/stevoo and their ilk will be ostracised from any pro/high end group and will effectively be banished! its just if blizzard has the balls to respect the people who actually enjoy playing the game properly.

And i dont want to hear well they just want to have fun blah blah bullshit, thats what quickplay is for. its like raiding in wow, to run a mythic raid you need 20 people on your server, you vet those 20 people, you constantly change, you adapt your group to the raid boss, you have specific times you play, thats what being truly competetive is about everyone on the same page, any type of queu system throws that out the door. and thtats why ow comp is AND WILL BE forever a cesspool unless blizzard GETS A GRIP
    That's a terrible idea. I don't have 5 people to reliably play with if I'd want to play and as such would be shut out from playing the game in competitive at all.