Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMeo View Post
    My mom in her 50's doesn't do analog clock without clear numbers (but I think that's because her eyesight is starting to worsen and she doesn't want to admit it...), but my 12-year-old younger sister knows how to read any analog clock.

I'm super fascinated by this like, my mom has a preference for clear clocks but I didn't know analog clocks were such a Big Deal there are people who can't read them and refuse to learn? Almost all clocks in public around where I live are analog.

And like wtf are people who don't have an analog wall clock???
    I'm genuinely confused and worried here.
    Why do I need any kind of clock? My phone, computer or coffee maker (don't own a microwave) will always tell me and I always have one somewhere near me.. That's like asking wtf are people who don't have land lines?!? It's fucking pointless. The fact you're confused and worried about this is worrisome.. Do you have some need to hang on to the past? Can't learn new technology? Afraid of change?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Do millenials know how read a clock face? Do they even teach that now?

Do parent's no longer teach their kids how to do things? Just because their are more relevant and important things being taught in schools (maybe, well, there should be...) doesn't mean parents shouldn't teach their kids anything...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Why do I need any kind of clock? My phone, computer or coffee maker (don't own a microwave) will always tell me and I always have one somewhere near me.. That's like asking wtf are people who don't have land lines?!? It's fucking pointless. The fact you're confused and worried about this is worrisome.. Do you have some need to hang on to the past? Can't learn new technology? Afraid of change?
    I mean sometimes I want to read a book and not be bothered by smartphones or tablets and not walk to the kitchen to know what the time is.

Stop projecting -- I'm confused because literally everyone I know owns a clock. Every public space, libraries, schools, banks, have an analog wall clock (usually one like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a4/a4/9a/a...ese-design.jpg )

The idea that there are people who think ~clocks are thing of the past because I have a smartphone~ is just so weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by azarak View Post
    I think what he was getting at is that it's a ridiculous way to say the same thing. It's longer to say, less accurate, and slightly more confusing to hear that way, thus being less effective. It is a rather silly way to say times.
    They both have the same number of syllables so it's not longer to say... Nor is it less accurate since quarter to six is the exact same time as 5:45... Unless you're trying to catch a train or bus or something no one cares about 5:45 vs 5:47 either...

I mean sometimes I want to read a book and not be bothered by smartphones or tablets and not walk to the kitchen to know what the time is.

Stop projecting -- I'm confused because literally everyone I know owns a clock. Every public space, libraries, schools, banks, have an analog wall clock (usually one like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a4/a4/9a/a...ese-design.jpg )

The idea that there are people who think ~clocks are thing of the past because I have a smartphone~ is just so weird to me.
    I'm not projecting anything.. I haven't seen a wall clock anywhere except as you stated public places. None of my friends have them anymore.. As with history developments have made things obsolete. You don't see people riding down the highway in a horse and buggy... Normally..

Not sure why it's weird either.. I only need one thing to tell me the time and most people always have their phones around.. Used to wear a watch, but don't anymore.. And I don't want to the kitchen as I check my phone.. Reading a book vs a tablet is a different thing in general unless you like to invest hours into reading a clock..

I can understand a preference towards them or liking having them around in general but the fact you're confused and worried about people not having them is weird to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Why do people think millennials are stupid when they're the smartest generation ever. Insecurity?
    Because when people don't know the things they know they are stupid. Millennials grew up either with the development of or already having a good deal of tech. Millennials have different knowledge base and skill set. This therefore makes them stupid to others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    I'm not projecting anything.. I haven't seen a wall clock anywhere except as you stated public places. None of my friends have them anymore.. As with history developments have made things obsolete. You don't see people riding down the highway in a horse and buggy... Normally..

Not sure why it's weird either.. I only need one thing to tell me the time and most people always have their phones around.. Used to wear a watch, but don't anymore.. And I don't want to the kitchen as I check my phone.. Reading a book vs a tablet is a different thing in general unless you like to invest hours into reading a clock..

I can understand a preference towards them or liking having them around in general but the fact you're confused and worried about people not having them is weird to me.
    I think you misunderstand me -- when I read books, I don't want to be near smartANYTHING because I want to read a book and relax. Glancing up from a book for 2 secs to check my wall clock for the time is fast and efficient, more so than digging up my phone or walking to the kitchen to check the microwave (I don't even have a clock on my microwave anyway, but if I had...)

Maybe it is a cultural thing. Literally everyone I know and know OF has a clock. Every public space everywhere. I live near a mall and I walk past a huge analog clock every time I leave the house. The only public spaces with digital clocks are usually bus or train stations.

I don't believe analog clocks are obsolete -- they still fullfil their function just fine. Canvas oven mitts didn't became obsolete even if silicone ones exists after all, and I just find it ridiculous that it's "hipster" to own a CLOCK.

Do kids know how to read an analog clock?
    Do millenials know how read a clock face? Do they even teach that now?
    Pick one. I'm considered a millennial, and I'm in my mid-30s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tkioz View Post
    You claim that people using linguistic patterns they learnt as children from when those patterns made sense is 'self-important'... I... There are no words for the stupid here.

I bet you are one of those people who buy new knives everytime one gets dull because you never learnt a basic fucking life skill.
    learned.....the word is learned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Quarter to 6 is a phrase used by idiots to sound smarter than actual intelligent people that simply say 5:45.
    "is a phrase used by idiots" is a phrase used by pompous idiots to sound cleverer than real people.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was just an observation I made a couple days ago. I bought a clock for my kitchen..worst part is..it roman numerals lol.
    So you are saying you don't know how to read Roman numerals. I am disappointed.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Why do people think millennials are stupid when they're the smartest generation ever. Insecurity?
    I don't think millenials are stupid but they are lazier for sure. plus they don't want to learn how to fix a thing/use tools. not all but a lot of bloody morons and refuse to tinker.

10+ Year Old Account
    "millenials" are in there 20s and 30s. So yes they do. It's stupid you are calling them kids. I think you meant Gen Z.

And who cares anyway. There is no reason to have analog clocks anymore.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2017-12-09 at 02:57 AM.
    Aye mate

I think you misunderstand me -- when I read books, I don't want to be near smartANYTHING because I want to read a book and relax. Glancing up from a book for 2 secs to check my wall clock for the time is fast and efficient, more so than digging up my phone or walking to the kitchen to check the microwave (I don't even have a clock on my microwave anyway, but if I had...)

Maybe it is a cultural thing. Literally everyone I know and know OF has a clock. Every public space everywhere. I live near a mall and I walk past a huge analog clock every time I leave the house. The only public spaces with digital clocks are usually bus or train stations.

I don't believe analog clocks are obsolete -- they still fullfil their function just fine. Canvas oven mitts didn't became obsolete even if silicone ones exists after all, and I just find it ridiculous that it's "hipster" to own a CLOCK.
    I did misunderstand and that is understandable and makes sense.. It does seem like a cultural thing and since I live in NYC I am more used to seeing digital signs due to the subways. I also was wrong in calling them obsolete. They are great for public spaces... I also love clock towers! I just don't find them useful in the home, but I guess that seeming more like a preference thing..

I did not know analog clocks were considered hipster though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Pick one. I'm considered a millennial, and I'm in my mid-30s.
    Jaylock is probably a millenial and doesn't even realize it..

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    "millenials" are in there 20s and 30s. So yes they do. It's stupid you are calling them kids. I think you meant Gen X.
    Gen X is the generation before millennials, not after, so Gen Xers are in their late 30s to early 50s.

Did you know some Millenials are in their early 30s? Of course we can read an analog clock. It wasn't taught in school, learned from others. I'd be more worried about Gen Z in this aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Yes but i dont see the point in buying one any time past 2004 or so.

My phone has a digital clock. My pc at work and at home has a digital clock. My car has a digital clock. The one area of my house with analogue clock also has my oven which has a digital clock, my thermostat which has a digital clock and my microwave which has a digital clock. Oh, and my TV has one too.

Buying one at this point is just a waste of money. Its purely an aesthetics purchase, and there is lot better shit you can buy for visuals, that won't make you look like either a hipster, or a granny.
    People can decorate their dwelling how they want?

I'm rather surprised all the hate over a rather simple question or simple lingo that people are way to offended over.

I put up one today in my kitchen...the neice and nephew were stumped when I asked them the time on it.
    Kids? That's Gen Z, dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Gen X is the generation before millennials, not after, so Gen Xers are in their late 30s to early 50s.
    Right. Sorry meant Z.
    Aye mate

So here's the million dollar question:

If millennials can't read an analog clock, is it the fault of

a) the millennials
    b) the liberals
    c) brain-sucking aliens from outer space
    d) their anti-education conservative baby boomer parents and "teachers"

Hmm, I think I might need to use all my lifelines for this one, what a perplexing question instead.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

They still teach it in elementary school

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    learned.....the word is learned
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/us...rnt-vs-learned

Both are perfectly valid.