Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Heroes and heroines are normaly experts in some subjects, like there profession and recreational activity. I can asume a western secret agent know how to drive a car and shoot a gun, be atletic and I will not be suprise if he know the Russian language, but I will be confused if he can read Egyptian hieroglyfer, if it is not foreshadowing like he is a amateur archeologlist. Now it also turns out that he is a master brain surgery then the plot need a master brain surgery.... then what the =I"""#KS)(

It all come back to that Rey is a multi-genius who can do everything then the plot demand it...
    You summed up Rey perfectly. She magically is skilled I whatever she needs to be to overcome the latest plot point making it nothing more than a speadbump on her road to victory. Every other protagonist has needed help and support from the rest of the cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hoped they'd kill Finn off in TFA, spose there's no chance for it to happen in this movie either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I keep hoping that James Cameron will get involved and make a Star Wars / Avatar mashup. Then we can finally have a blue Rey!
    Ooh! That was bad! No cookie for you.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty excited now to see this, being a big Rian Johnson fan from Brick and Breaking Bad. RT had a collection of some reactions from the Saturday premiere.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is everything. Intense, funny, emotional, exciting. It’s jam-packed with absolutely jaw dropping moments and I loved it so, so much. I’m still shaking.
    – Germain Lussier, io9
    There aren’t enough words to express how much I LOVED Star Wars: The Last Jedi! It is mind-blowing! I’m in geek heaven!
    – Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia

The Last Jedi is incredibly satisfying and hands down Mark Hamill’s best performance as Luke Skywalker
    – Aaron Couch, Hollywood Reporter

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is so beautifully human, populist, funny and surprising. I cried when one POC heroine got her moment because films like these leave their mark on entire generations — and representation matters.
    – Jen Yamato, Los Angeles Times
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi floored me. Rian Johnson and the team nail so much — thrills, laughs, heart and most of all, pushing the characters/overall franchise a major step forward. Some really rich material to explore in the future. Can’t wait for more.
    – Perri Nemiroff, Collider

Luke was right: This is not going to go the way you think. The Last Jedi will shatter you — and then make you whole again. Carrie Fisher has some unforgettable moments as Leia. Mark Hamill is crushing as a Luke who’s more broken and lost than your action figures from the ’70s. I think The Last Jedi may be the first Star Wars movie that’s not just about growing up, but also about growing old. New characters mature, veterans learn about becoming more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Despite a few surface similarities, The Last Jedi has a radically different structure from The Empire Strikes Back — and every other Star Wars movie.
    – Anthony Breznican, Entertainment Weekly

Curious to see Mark Hamill do some serious work, it's been a long drought since the FMV clips in Wing Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    So in your opinion we have never in the history of all movies had a good written movie. I mean in all movies you have to imply some things. Did this person take driving courses? Do they ever take a piss? Did they get training? Can everyone in this world run like an Olympic athlete?

The question isn't writhing really. It's more willingness to accept its just a fantasy. Or if you don't, more the likely, just shitting on someone just enjoying themselves is the goal. I mean it's ok to just not like something.
    compared to the novels that were set in starwars, no not really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Pretty excited now to see this, being a big Rian Johnson fan from Brick and Breaking Bad. RT had a collection of some reactions from the Saturday premiere.

– Germain Lussier, io9

Curious to see Mark Hamill do some serious work, it's been a long drought since the FMV clips in Wing Commander.
    and these people also prob said episode 7 was amazing yet we know different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    She regularly flew stuff, just not off-planet. And the writing very strongly suggested she has a hidden skillset that has been literally wiped from her memory.

It's not bad writing because you can't pay attention to the movie to things that don't hit you over the head.

The problem I have with the current generation of movie-goers is that their attention is always divided, ESPECIALLY at home or watching (legal or illegal) streams of things. Watching a movie on a second monitor barely counts as watching it, and it makes arguments about the story not being there fall flat.

The new Bladerunner movie supports this theory of mine. Brilliant, genius movie - that is bombing everywhere because people can't think 5 feet past their own face.
    How dare u compare Blade Runner to that shit movie force awakens

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I keep hoping that James Cameron will get involved and make a Star Wars / Avatar mashup. Then we can finally have a blue Rey!
    I want dave filoni to make a movie

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

– Germain Lussier, io9

RT was sold to Warner Bros and everyone there is a corporate turd licker

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Ok then, answer me one question. Only one. Who in the film a force awakens dislikes Rey? Who gives her shit. Cant say ren or snoke because they want to turn her to the darkside to join them. So who in the film is anti Rey? The canteen guy who wanted BB8?
    Who is anti-Luke once they find out Luke is strong with the Force? Vader? The Emperor? Nope. Likewise, Rey is nothing but a piece of shit mook Kylo Ren is willing to torture for information (much like he did to Poe earlier in the movie). But as soon as she resists his mind probing, the attitude of him and Snoke both change. Much like Vader's mood towards Luke changed even before he found out he was the "son of Anakin Skywalker" (IE his own son). Vader would have easily been willing to kill Luke in the trenches of the first Death Star run, and then he feels the Force acting through Luke, so extensively that the unthinkable happens - a farm boy who has never flown off planet before (sound familiar?) puts away his computer targeting system and nails a one in a million shot with his eyes closed. Likewise, Kylo Ren would have easily had no problem torturing and eventually killing Rey once he got his information. He did so in the opening scene with the old man (God, forgotten his name, but he's famous). He would have with Poe as well if Finn didn't break him out.

If there's a couple criticisms of TFA that I think are valid, they're this: 1) in their attempts at a soft reboot, they tried to compress the themes of all three original movies into one movie, and 2) they relied on the knowledge of the audience to know this was a trilogy. I agree, to a certain extent, that TFA as a standalone movie is too compressed, too rushed. The "Empire" moments of the Jedi Academy and Luke's self-exile are all only discussed, or seen in flashbacks. The setup of who the First Order is, why they're still a force to be reckoned with, and why Leia is leadng a Resistance even though the Rebels won is outright cut out. The fall of Kylo Ren, why he feels the way he does, again, is probably a topic we're going to explore some time else. Etc. TFA will ultimately be able to be judged fully in the lens of the whole trilogy - and if your argument is that it should be able to stand on its own, then that's fair, but never the intent of the writers or directors or Disney. I think it's a good-enough film on its own, but I expect it to be better once put in the perspective of the trilogy - again, much like Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    compared to the novels that were set in starwars, no not really.
    I guess somewhere in the history of all movies you got novels..

Compared to airplanes all cars are slow.. slow ass cars..

Who is anti-Luke once they find out Luke is strong with the Force? Vader? The Emperor? Nope. Likewise, Rey is nothing but a piece of shit mook Kylo Ren is willing to torture for information (much like he did to Poe earlier in the movie). But as soon as she resists his mind probing, the attitude of him and Snoke both change. Much like Vader's mood towards Luke changed even before he found out he was the "son of Anakin Skywalker" (IE his own son). Vader would have easily been willing to kill Luke in the trenches of the first Death Star run, and then he feels the Force acting through Luke, so extensively that the unthinkable happens - a farm boy who has never flown off planet before (sound familiar?) puts away his computer targeting system and nails a one in a million shot with his eyes closed. Likewise, Kylo Ren would have easily had no problem torturing and eventually killing Rey once he got his information. He did so in the opening scene with the old man (God, forgotten his name, but he's famous). He would have with Poe as well if Finn didn't break him out.

If there's a couple criticisms of TFA that I think are valid, they're this: 1) in their attempts at a soft reboot, they tried to compress the themes of all three original movies into one movie, and 2) they relied on the knowledge of the audience to know this was a trilogy. I agree, to a certain extent, that TFA as a standalone movie is too compressed, too rushed. The "Empire" moments of the Jedi Academy and Luke's self-exile are all only discussed, or seen in flashbacks. The setup of who the First Order is, why they're still a force to be reckoned with, and why Leia is leadng a Resistance even though the Rebels won is outright cut out. The fall of Kylo Ren, why he feels the way he does, again, is probably a topic we're going to explore some time else. Etc. TFA will ultimately be able to be judged fully in the lens of the whole trilogy - and if your argument is that it should be able to stand on its own, then that's fair, but never the intent of the writers or directors or Disney. I think it's a good-enough film on its own, but I expect it to be better once put in the perspective of the trilogy - again, much like Empire.
    No one liked Luke because he was strong with the Force. No one liked liked Luke until he proved himself capable, Yoda wanted nothing to do with him until Obi-Wan pleaded his case. The only reason Vader didn't kill Luke in the trench run is because Han Solo shot one of his wing men, which cased the other to crash into him making him spiral out of control away from the trench. He was having issues targeting Luke due to Luke's force sensitivity and was starting to narrow in on him regardless as shown by him managing to hit R2. Vader didn't go "Man, I like this guy cause he has the Force, screw it let him take his shot."

Part of compressing the themes includes the main protagonists journey of self discovery, going from total scrub to complete badass. It happened way to fast in TFA.

Spoilers are already out, and they obviously went the opposite direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as it was confirmed today that Snoke really is cut in half by Kylo with no back story to Snoke, makes me kind of upset. That's shitty writing.

So yeah, what the guy above pointed in the spoilers... They had one thing to explain, ONE that was more important than all the other backstories, but nope. Damn, directors are getting dumber and dumber. Or whoever forgot to include that. Atleast the movie overall seems ok. Can't wait to see it.

and from what I've read, nothing about Rebels as well, which was put on a pause, leading me to believe that for a reason but nope

I have read all of the spoilers and my initial reaction without seeing the movie is very negative. I guess we'll just have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    So yeah, what the guy above pointed in the spoilers... They had one thing to explain, ONE that was more important than all the other backstories, but nope. Damn, directors are getting dumber and dumber. Or whoever forgot to include that. Atleast the movie overall seems ok. Can't wait to see it.

[spoilers] and from what I've read, nothing about Rebels as well, which was put on a pause, leading me to believe that for a reason but nope [/spoilers]
    Yes, it's like Palpatine background was so well explained in IV-V-VI and the efforts to explain it in I-II-III were so well received.

Am I the only person who thought Snoke was just a new character without an elaborate backstory? I didn't expect a big revelation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Am I the only person who thought Snoke was just a new character without an elaborate backstory? I didn't expect a big revelation.
    Yeah, I guess. We should've known better. Star Wars movies always had insanely bad story writing. Star Wars truly is shit outside of games, especially Old Republic games.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    One, the Emperor did not had a backstory in IV-V-VI. Two, Darth Maul did not had a backstory in I. Three, Darth Tyrannus had no backstory in II. Four, Darth Revan and Darth Vader actual backstory in Knights of the Old Republic and IV-V-VI (before they turn evil) can be summed in two lines.

Also, that's odd, I sort of heard that there are books and comics to explore that (I would daresay that a 2 hours movie is not the best medium to have a vilain with a very complex background presented, especially considering how much people mocked Lucas awful but sincere efforts to present the Emperor past in I)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    Yeah, I guess. We should've known better. Star Wars movies always had insanely bad story writing. Star Wars truly is shit outside of games, especially Old Republic games.
    The Old Republic story is not particulary good all alone, since it boil downs to not one, but two super evil Sith Empire doing what the Empire did, but eviler.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2017-12-12 at 06:46 PM.

Loved it. I got a few nitpick, but i dont really mind.

And about fucking time: they let Leia fucking use the force, i mean jesus after 30 years youd think Leia would have picked more then just sensing the force, which is one of the thing i hated about TFA, why cant Leia be some kind of real force user too. Im sure some people gona be whiny about it, but personally fuck it i wanted Leia to use the force for real and she did.

She regularly flew stuff, just not off-planet. And the writing very strongly suggested she has a hidden skillset that has been literally wiped from her memory.

It's not bad writing because you can't pay attention to the movie to things that don't hit you over the head.

The problem I have with the current generation of movie-goers is that their attention is always divided, ESPECIALLY at home or watching (legal or illegal) streams of things. Watching a movie on a second monitor barely counts as watching it, and it makes arguments about the story not being there fall flat.

The new Bladerunner movie supports this theory of mine. Brilliant, genius movie - that is bombing everywhere because people can't think 5 feet past their own face.
    It's less about divided attention and more about lack of cognition. A plotless movie with tons of explosions, as long as it's got some simple humor, does extremely well because there's no thinking involved. People just don't want to have to think.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    One, the Emperor did not had a backstory in IV-V-VI. Two, Darth Maul did not had a backstory in I. Three, Darth Tyrannus had no backstory in II. Four, Darth Revan and Darth Vader actual backstory in Knights of the Old Republic and IV-V-VI (before they turn evil) can be summed in two lines.
    In the originals we know that the Empire is the major force in the galaxy and that the Emperor is the ruler of it, there isn't any need for a backstory because there are no questions presented to us in the movie that cause us to think why is the galaxy this way.

The problem with it in the new films is that most people already know about the Empire and how the Rebels defeated them, and even those who never seen a Starwars film learn in the film that this is a new organization that has just popped up recently so you are left with questions like how did it form and who is this Snoke guy?

The acting in The Force Awakens was good but everything else in it was complete horseshit because they just tried to one up all the old films and it ends up ruining Rey and making her seem like a mary sue.

Maz Kanata - older and quirkier than Yoda
    BB-8- smaller and cuter than R2-D2
    Rey- More powerful and better skilled than Luke. Plus she was even poorer than him.
    Starkiller Base- more powerful than a Deathstar plus it can shoot magic missile lasers at multiple planets.

There are prob more but I can't think of em off the top of my head. But had they just gone with Rey being more op than Luke (which might be revealed with her past) instead of making everything else "better than x" then she wouldn't seem as much of a mary sue they created just to one up on all the old shit.