Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Not as bad of course not but i'm making a point while using extremes, same extreme goes for phones with spy software on them to control the whereabouts and dealings of kids under the idea of "safety" or "protection"
    You just keep beating that Orwellian drum.

Parents have a right to know where their kids go, what they are doing, when, for how long, with whom, and for what purpose. Parents are responsible for their children. Even if you are the kind of shit-tier parent that can't be bothered to actually give a damn, you are still legally responsible for your child's actions.

I will use every tool at my disposal to make sure I fulfill my parental obligations. If that means I occasionally violate my children's privacy, tough shit. If that means I show up out of nowhere at the place my child knows damn well he isn't supposed to be, and I embarrass the hell out of him, too bad, he should have done what he was told in the first place. It was a violation of my privacy when my mother went through my dresser drawers looking for drugs, she did it anyway, and had she suspected I was on drugs and NOT looked, she would have been a shitty parent.

The fact that the same apps might be useful if my child is abducted and the kidnapper is such a terrible criminal that they don't immediately disable the phone is also a great benefit, but by no means is it the only legitimate use of such an app.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It may be less common in large cities but in more rural areas, where I grew up, it was pretty common. I lived a mile from the school but they wouldn't let me walk home unless I had a note from my parents.
    I grew up in a suburb next door to a medium city. The medium city (where my school was) had the largest high school in the state. The private school I went to, as well as public schools in the area, did not allow kids to leave during the school day without prior arrangements unless a parent was picking them up. My understanding is that the entire state operates under the same principles; at the very least, everyone I knew in high school or college was subject to the same restrictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

When I was in school, phones were really beginning to take off. I remember I had one of the very first colour display screens to come out. It was a tiny little thing.

Anyways, the school introduced a quick rule regarding phones. You don't bring them to school unless your parents or guardian informs the school you need one. Additionally, if that was the case you dropped it in reception in the morning. Got caught with it, you lost it for the day, got caught a second time with it, lost it for the week, got caught with it again that's it for the term. Didn't matter if it was lesson time or break time, no phones on the grounds. I'd pretty much expect this to be the rules in all schools

Regardless, not idea how they plan to enforce this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    You just keep beating that Orwellian drum.

Parents have a right to know where their kids go, what they are doing, when, for how long, with whom, and for what purpose. Parents are responsible for their children. Even if you are the kind of shit-tier parent that can't be bothered to actually give a damn, you are still legally responsible for your child's actions.

I will use every tool at my disposal to make sure I fulfill my parental obligations. If that means I occasionally violate my children's privacy, tough shit. If that means I show up out of nowhere at the place my child knows damn well he isn't supposed to be, and I embarrass the hell out of him, too bad, he should have done what he was told in the first place. It was a violation of my privacy when my mother went through my dresser drawers looking for drugs, she did it anyway, and had she suspected I was on drugs and NOT looked, she would have been a shitty parent.

The fact that the same apps might be useful if my child is abducted and the kidnapper is such a terrible criminal that they don't immediately disable the phone is also a great benefit, but by no means is it the only legitimate use of such an app.
    It is your right to mess up your child as their parent, i can't argue that. I don't follow that reasoning and when i have kids i won't follow that reasoning either. I find that far too paranoid and i know what that can do to a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Simpler to have them banned all day than to allow them during certain hours ?
    I don't think its THAT hard to just check the hour and see if its lunchtime or breaks. Unless French teachers are extremely incompetent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    On one hand, I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, I've never heard of a teacher that hasn't had run-ins with parents over stuff that was literally the fault solely of their child.

I'm not talking about noticing that they're on their phone. Are the students allowed to use their phones for music? Are they allowed to use them to look up information? If so, then it's much harder to notice. There are also kids who simply refuse to give up their phones when asked to hand them over. Teachers I've spoken to have also given that as a reason why they don't like to confiscate phones - basically, fear of what might happen. If you're a teacher, you either haven't been one for very long, or you've been exceptionally lucky in the students, staff, and parents you've dealt with. Either way, I suspect we're just going to have to agree to disagree here in terms of the benefits of allowing phones during the school day (none, in my book) vs the downsides and complications.
    I just wanted to say I recognize this.

Some of the posts here...*sigh*

I have to wonder if anyone realizes that cell phones were never necessary...at least back in the day.

Great. No need to have a phone on hand during school hours, be it during actual class or in the breaks.

Parents can call the school if something's so important and have a teacher inform their child about this certain matter, and plenty of other things to do during breaks instead of having your eyes glued to your phone, regardless of what type of kid you are.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I would imagine you learn more from 8 hours on your phone than you learn from 8 hours in a modern classroom anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

As if school uniforms were never a thing. Think before you talk.
    Assuming as if I never knew they existed. Think before you reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    There is absolutely no need to have your phone during the school day. If a parent needs to get a hold of you they can call the office (just like they did before cell phones).
    Someone will think of some excuse where their child NEEDS to have a phone on them and will sue. Oh wait, this isn't in the USA? Nevermind, it should go well then.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Some of the posts here...*sigh*

I have to wonder if anyone realizes that cell phones were never necessary...at least back in the day.
    Back in the Day the internet and access to information and Technology was also a lot less limited. Why punish modern learning because of past learning.

I mean back in the day many people wouldn't have even gone to school.

During Primary and Highschool many people brought Gameboys and Handhelds to School to play during breaks and shit. Why Ban phones at the same time.

Kids survived without them before they even existed, so I got no issues with this.

Back in the day people/teachers knew how, where to communicate effectively if something occurred in school that demanded the parents' immediate attention.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    Assuming as if I never knew they existed. Think before you reply.
    Okay fair cop, firstly I shouldn't have answered like an ass, post work buzz does that to me; but I was always lead to believe uniforms were introduced precisely to combat "status" bullying but it's not one of those things I've given thought to so if that's just an urban legend so be it

(As such I thought it was ironic you had picked that as a counter example)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Good, i don't see why you'd need a smartphone in school

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    This is absolutely stupid, go to the office to get a hold of your parents? Lol no, that sounds way too inconvenient, long and tedious. Who cares if teachers are bothered by it? They can go shove a cock up their ass. They have them for safety reasons.
    Absolutely! not totally for Line, Whatsup, Instagram, Facebook or some other shit. Lol fuck sake, back to your studies kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Not even close to as bad as in the realm of there being almost zero negatives. That's why it's a ridiculous comparison.
    That's your opinion that there are zero negatives, i rate physical and mental harm differently and i don't shrug off mental harm as a non-existent element.

15+ Year Old Account
    This can be seen as heavy-handed and authoritarian and, yes, it is in an educational sense where such measures are not always a wrong thing. Imagine 25+ schoolkids using their smartphones in class and not caring about what the teacher has to say, using the smartphones for various purposes. As for safety purposes: Please, this is a classic kneejerk argument. Schools have safety measures themselves and when alone the smartphone will unlikely save them if serious harm ever came to them. It would imply that smartphones have made schoolkid's life safer when in reality only the willingness to learn, to concentrate and self-educate on matters has dropped. Recent tests across schools here showed a drop in certain skills and disciplines on which I blame unguided access to new technologies.

I certainly don't object kids having smartphones and tablets but their usage should be as guided as the usage of desktop computer were in the old days where computers were not just tools to spend times on gaming. With smartphones it's on steroids to a level that even adults expose a child-like behaviour towards this technology. I hate when adults use their smartphones in cinema and moan about their "intolerant" neighbours wanting to watch a movie without someone chatting on Whatsapp. It seems smartphone equals instant permission to do anything you'd want. I recall times where even cellphones were offlimits in sensitive areas like hospitals now clinic personnel has to take care about not tripping over smartphone zombies.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2017-12-13 at 09:50 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, the little bastards need to he taught some control and discipline. I can't use mine when working, so this will teach them some form of respect
    #boycottchina

Children will just find something else to not get bored, and likely far more disruptive for the entire class anyway.

ban the usage during school hours, if someone is using it then, take it away till the end of the day, lesson learned, worked for us, but back then, teachers didnt have hands tied behind their back...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So phones are already banned during classes but kids still use them? Then punishments are not harsh enough.
    What are they going to do when kids will be using them despite the ban? Are they going to inventory all personal belongings at the beginning of the day and store them in the property room?

They are not fixing the real problem. Burned-out teachers and not engaging classes and if kids don't want to socialize outside classes don't force them.
    Kids must be guided from early age on how to use phone and when it is not appropriate to use it.
    If this was neglected then no amount of bans and repressions will fix it.