Poll: Do you keep up to date with modern mainstream music?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The first time I saw how Ed Sheeran even looks was in Game of Thrones.

Man, years ago I was sinking all my income into CD's and I knew a lot about music but that faded away. Today I let me guide by spotify but don't care about a lot of bands any more. I'd say 'Kings of Leon' and 'Editors' are my all time favourites and I never get tired lsitening to them. Imo many genres did not realy evolve from past to present - it's all just resampling and boring.

Yes, but I don't listen to the radio 24/7/365.

If we're going to define mainstream as "music you'd hear on numerous radio stations", then no, not since I was maybe 12 years old. If I hear something modern and popular, it's generally by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Listen to normie music actually makes me uncomfortable
    "normie"?

Whats a normie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I'm not saying your complaints aren't valid but then you go and name bands that do all that shit. Lackluster lyrics, feminine voices, all sound the same. That's ACDC Queen and foo fighters down to a tee.
    ACDC and Foo Fighters sound feminine? They also sound the same? Queen has lackluster lyrics? So you mean to tell me their songs like Bohemian Rhapsody is lackluster? You sure about that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Finnish millennials and whatever the younger generation is called seem to listen to nothing but Finnish "hiphop", so no, I absolutely don't "keep up to date" with that utter shit.

Metal is truly dead.
    I wouldn't say metal is dead it's just become more underground. There are lots of awesome metal bands out there you just have to dig deep enough. Just because it's not heard on the radio or TV doesn't mean it's dead.

There is only a couple bands that i will check out their music when they have a new album out. Napalm Death, mastodon, tool. I checked out morbid angel's new album on YouTube the other day. It was not very good compared to their old albums. Its like Metallica's newer albums, there is not point in listening to them because they are crap compared to their old albums. Same with iron maiden. All their new albums are crap compared to their old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    "normie"?

Whats a normie?
    It's an indicator that the opinion of the person who typed it can be discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    All the music i listen to is NOT on the radio, the way I keep up with new cd's by my favorite bands is there band page is on my facebook and pandora.
    This is pretty much how I handle music as well, but I'm old. lol.

I generally want to flip off mainstream music. To me, it's typically (though not always) bland and boring. A few tunes are catchy and will get stuck in my head, but it's been ages since that's even happened.

I have more than 4 brain cells, so no.

No, I only listen to old country music in my truck.

Kind of, I dont listen to radio often but I discover most new songs I listen to through that regardless

Nope. I don't find most modern music that good. Some parodies are worthwhile though. Key of Awesome has some good ones. Otherwise I just listen to whatever I like at the time.

Honestly, I never believe in conspiracy but I am quite sure there is something behind the music industry. Mainstream media is soo bad there must be something going on. I understand that we "have different taste". But I'm sure we've often found some very good music on youtube with very few views and some rubish music like katy perry with hundreads of millions of views. Justin Bierber has billion views wtf?

The thing is these guys are popular because their music is played on the medias. At the same time, their music are played in the media because they are popular. But to be popular at first, they must have been approached by weird guys because there is no way their music is better than all these independent bands on youtube that are 10times more skilled

i keep up to date with bands i like.. no mainstream stuff though.

mainstream music, as in pop music, rap and radio alternative?
    no, not really that type of music is not really my taste of music at all.. never really was my thing ever since i was maybe about 12 or so

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    I wouldn't say metal is dead it's just become more underground. There are lots of awesome metal bands out there you just have to dig deep enough. Just because it's not heard on the radio or TV doesn't mean it's dead.
    No but the thing is, if 99.999% of the young people of Finland for example are listening to nothing but this Finnish hiphop crap, and don't listen to metal at all, then that means they're also not playing any instruments, and aren't going to be playing in metal bands, which means new metal bands won't be popping up anymore, and whilst people who have already loved metal for a long time ago still continue to listen to metal, and whilst old metal bands still continue to play metal, the fact that as a genre it's no longer desirable for the youth and that new bands are no longer being created, it will mean the death of it eventually.

By death, I mean it becoming something obscure like rockabilly or 60s 70s style metal, or rock. Or, 90s eurodance for that matter. All of that stuff still finds some listeners here and there, but...the thing is, Finland used to be - by a huge margin - the country with the most metal bands per capita on this planet. That's going to change. Then again, if metal keeps becoming more and more obscure because of these people who can't sing or play instruments (read: hip hop "artists"), it won't matter whether it's #1 or the last.

I don't even listen to music. Only music I listen to is in-game music or the Opening piece of an anime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I don't even listen to music.
    I can't even imagine such an existence.

I try to keep up to date on whatever genre of music caughts my ear.

It's pretty hard not to when you have the internet.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."