Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually fucking mad that they did that. It engaged me because I spent a lot of fucking time grinding that stupid rep and doing those dailies. I thought we'd get that cool city to hang out in eventually, not have them fuck off and join the Horde. Good storytelling I guess because it made me angry.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I would have helped them, but really only have looked at it as if they were helping me kill Gul'dan.
    Interesting.

Reminiscent of the opening of WoD where we freed Gul'dan just to stop the Iron Horde, only for him to become a far bigger problem for us later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yeah, the general "army of the light" assembled on Azeroth helped them. Velen took us there on his spiffy spaceship and khadgar was there and Illidan was there and a bunch of other people. The player character is just "one of the many people" who helped them in their fight.

...That, contrasted against aiding the Nightfallen, which seems very reliant on the player's character's help specifically, and not really from anyone else at the outset. It's not until much later in the storyline that "many people" come into play aiding the nightfallen; it's pretty much just the player character and a handful of Nightfallen that that person reaches out to.

In essence, you're comparing "I was a guy, part of the huge army that helped the Lightforged Draenei as part of the greater army of the light fight against the legion, and then lightforged chose the alliance" versus "I was THE GUY that pulled the Nightfallen from the brink of dying a slow, withering death, ran numerous solo missions under their direct instruction to help them reclaim their city, and risked my neck throughout countless ordeals asked of me, and now they've decided that all of that didn't matter and chose horde."
    TBH, the only things that we (as a player) had to do was find Thalyssra and guide her to Shal'aran and feed her some mana. From there, she would be perfectly fine doing everything without us.

Same goes for Argus - only thing we had to do was destroy the Fel Annihilator, provide the Army with a new vessel and secure Xe'ra

And honestly, discussing both topic is kind of stupid anyway, because (as said many many times) we act as representatives of our class orders, not faction. Even during arguments between Blood and Night Elves during 7.1 we dont pick any side, instead trying to solve the issue.
    Nightfallen as well as the Army were aided by united forces of Warriors, Paladins, Mages etc etc, not by the Alliance and the Horde. After their wars have ended, they are free to do whatever they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    TBH, the only things that we (as a player) had to do was find Thalyssra and guide her to Shal'aran and feed her some mana. From there, she would be perfectly fine doing everything without us.
    She needed us to break into Suramar city... repeatedly... to extract her buddies and feed them all mana for what's implied to be a very long time, not to mention going above and beyond to rescue withered and then secure the arcan'dor.

Same goes for Argus - only thing we had to do was destroy the Fel Annihilator, provide the Army with a new vessel and secure Xe'ra
    We were implied as being one of the many people there.

And honestly, discussing both topic is kind of stupid anyway, because (as said many many times) we act as representatives of our class orders, not faction. Even during arguments between Blood and Night Elves during 7.1 we dont pick any side, instead trying to solve the issue.
    Nightfallen as well as the Army were aided by united forces of Warriors, Paladins, Mages etc etc, not by the Alliance and the Horde. After their wars have ended, they are free to do whatever they want.
    ...Except they wont respect that person that saved them from utter annihilation, were they Alliance. And it's not like they were "praising" whatever the player character's class order was or calling on them in any real capacity; it was the player character themselves. An individual who is very inextricably either Horde or Alliance.

That's why it's dumb for the Nightfallen to choose a side. It was a very PERSONAL interaction (versus the general interaction with the highmountain and lightforged or "ancestral heritage" of the Dark Irons or Zandalari) the player character had with them. And it's basically saying "if you were Alliance that really didn't matter at all."
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-12-31 at 01:12 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

That's why it's dumb for the Nightfallen to choose a side.
    Honestly, all things considered, I kind of wish they'd make more neutral races like the Pandaren that could be played on either side. Instead of just Lightforged Draenei joining the alliance, why not also make some ex-Eredar or former demon-blood Draenei join the horde? They've gotta go somewhere now that the Legion is falling back, and the Horde is pretty damn well known for taking in outcasts that aren't welcome anywhere else.

Same with Nighfallen, just flip things and give the Alliance a High-Elf option.

Repeat this with every new race option, IMHO.

Why wouldn't you? It's not like you not doing the quests would change anything. You'd be skipping out on tons of AP.

She needed us to break into Suramar city... repeatedly... to extract her buddies and feed them all mana for what's implied to be a very long time, not to mention going above and beyond to rescue withered and then secure the arcan'dor.
    Are you implying that entering Suramar as an outlander is less dangerous than as Thalyssra? Both would be killed on sight. We sneaked past the guards and got the Masquarade spell from Silgryn, Thalyssra could achieve the same. Nothing we've done couldnt be done by her, she just had to get some help at the begining cause she was withering.

We were implied as being one of the many people there.
    I doubt that many people were fighting besides Turalyon or ventured into void with Alleria. I was the one fighting the void lord guy and getting his hearth for her so that she can improve her resistance to the void. Now she joined the Alliance - same question as the OP applies here.

...Except they wont respect that person that saved them from utter annihilation, were they Alliance. And it's not like they were "praising" whatever the player character's class order was or calling on them in any real capacity; it was the player character themselves. An individual who is very inextricably either Horde or Alliance.
    Just because she didnt spam your class name doesnt mean you didnt act as a representative of one. You get the mission to check her out from Khadgar, not from Sylvanas or Anduinn. And as I mentioned above, there are many examples where we (horde players) helped the ones who now join the Alliance - that isnt a problem for you?

That's why it's dumb for the Nightfallen to choose a side. It was a very PERSONAL interaction (versus the general interaction with the highmountain and lightforged or "ancestral heritage" of the Dark Irons or Zandalari) the player character had with them. And it's basically saying "if you were Alliance that really didn't matter at all."
    You seem to be forgetting our work with Anduinn in Krasarang Forest, or helping out Turalyon or Alleria, or the lightforged draenei (completing the tests of Archimonde).

There is too much bias in this converstaion really. Saying that Nightborne joining the Horde is a problem while ignoring Lightforged joining the Alliance is being ignorant. The fact is that Tyrande rejected Thallysra - you know, one of your leaders.

Yes because I found the Suramar storyline to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    The moment Thalyssra decided to destroy Nightwell even though Valtrois said it could be salvaged and reused for good purpose, I asked myself why did I help this moron. Who does she have more common with, Night Elves who condemned Illidan for wanting to salvage and re-create well of eternity, or Blood Elves, who only destroyed Sunwell because they deemed it corrupted beyond salvage, but when it got revitalized by a Naaru, they welcomed it back.

Not even mentioning these Nightfallen pricks got un-withered thanks to a Night Elf dude and his fruit tree. Good to know their gratitude was short lived.
    Yep, her actions in are far more consistent with night elf
    Philosophy than blood elf - I guess it should be expected since nightborne are night elf stock but it really lent to a night elf allegiance and philosophy. At least for
    Thalyssra , whereas Valtrois going blood elf would have been more believable. I also was surprised they took the whole
    Nightborne lot over. I was expecting the group
    To
    Be neutral with some playable
    On the horde and alliance or if only Horde were playable, the lore would have like high elves some friendly with NElves but unplayable. It is odd for any of the night elf groups to be so dedicated to faction conflict - even less so than the Pandaren making some being involved with blood elves hardly impacting the main group. Blizzard clearly felt different but the way they presented it seems inconsistent and a bit slapdash weak

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkins View Post
    1. Nightborne are not Night Elves. Their ideals, practices, and values are incredibly different, and their bodies are completely different. They haven't interacted with each other for other ten thousand years. The only thing they have in common is a skin tone.
    Lol. Someone doesn’t know their lore. Nightborne are kaldorei empire night elves. Everything about them is purest Night elf of the pre-sundering.

I mean it’s literally shown to you and told you. This is a night elven arcane culture. It’s from this part of the night elves high elves came from. It’s the original night elf culture that a lot of night elves left to adopt he long vigil, but some like the. Nightborne and she ‘dralar Continued in.

You don’t get more night elf than the nightborne. It’s just a different type to the Long Vigil ones. And to make it easier for people like you blizzard gave them a different name, slightly different. They added borne to night. So instead of night elf, you have Nightborne elf, but with all that, from showing you night elf arcane civilisation and showing you the people and the name included, you STILL don’t get it.

Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    This idea that the allied races betrayed us, is just so fucking weird to me.

Our characters were not representing our faction, they were representing our class orders. And even if they were, we helped them because there was something that we wanted from them, we were not helping them over the kindness of our hearts. For highmountain we wanted the Hammer, For the nightborne we wanted to kill gul'dan, helping them was the mos practical way to do this, for the army of light we wanted the legion gone.

We got what we wanted from them and left.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    I would still have helped them because of phat achievements and lewt. Only did it on my main though, so Suramar is still in shambles on all my other alts.
    Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it. The nightborne have never seemed in a position to dictate their alliance to me.

The ingame feeling was not far from the truth for me. I expected them to be a Night Elf lore development at first, then during the 7.1 questline the Nightborne started being all "oh we have so much in common with Blood Elves! oh we really want to visit Silvermoon at some point!".

For me, that was a bad sign of things spilling over to the Horde side of things and I stopped being interested. No surprise they ended up as a Horde race.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Interesting.

Reminiscent of the opening of WoD where we freed Gul'dan just to stop the Iron Horde, only for him to become a far bigger problem for us later.
    The alternative is have Illidan with Sargearas' soul.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Or, y'know, let's JOIN FORCES
    You mean like we've done again and again?

Nah, let's not. Joining forces to defeat X Big Bad Guy has been done to death.

- - - Updated - - -

In essence, you're comparing "I was a guy, part of the huge army that helped the Lightforged Draenei as part of the greater army of the light fight against the legion, and then lightforged chose the alliance" versus "I was THE GUY that pulled the Nightfallen from the brink of dying a slow, withering death, ran numerous solo missions under their direct instruction to help them reclaim their city, and risked my neck throughout countless ordeals asked of me, and now they've decided that all of that didn't matter and chose horde."
    Pretty much this.

They've made their bed, frankly. However sentimental the Alliance might have been about the Nightborne in Legion, siding with the Horde is a pretty unforgivable move.

They really should have been neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    exactly. it's a two faction game. people are gonna be biased snowflakes get over it
    It's a two faction game where you can play both factions simultaneously with no repercussions. There's no reason to pick one over the other when you can play and enjoy both equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I find this question to be fairly irrelevant in a game that lacks any real decisions to make. You can't impact the story, and the only meaningful choice you ever make in WoW is Horde or Alliance - and that's before you even start the game.
    They did add a few, emphasis on few. I kind of miss the Aldor vs Scryer choices.

I have to unlock flying somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I find this question to be fairly irrelevant in a game that lacks any real decisions to make. You can't impact the story, and the only meaningful choice you ever make in WoW is Horde or Alliance - and that's before you even start the game. Why worry about your role in the plot Blizzard's writers create when that role is non-existant anyway?
    Yeah, this. I'm going to help the Lightforged which will happily turn around and kill me in BfA. I helped Alleria with her Void fetish and first thing she does is try to get BEs back to the Alliance. I helped Tyrande even if she will gleefully eviscerate my ass if I step foot in her city. That's no different.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2017-12-31 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    You mean like we've done again and again?

Nah, let's not. Joining forces to defeat X Big Bad Guy has been done to death.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much this.

They've made their bed, frankly. However sentimental the Alliance might have been about the Nightborne in Legion, siding with the Horde is a pretty unforgivable move.

They really should have been neutral.
    What I don’t get is why Blizzard couldn’t make some of them horde and the rest neutral? That makes so much more sense. Thalyssra and co, esp Thalyssra is so Night elf in her actions, language, decision, she really doesn’t fit with the blood elf Louis. At most Baltrois I could have believed. They could have made some of them join the alliance but remain unplyablentoo. Instead they seem to have destroyed Thalyssra’s character (changed her to something more “horde” like but not really like how she was presented in 7.0) I hate when they do that just for gimmicks like nightborne going horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    What I don’t get is why Blizzard couldn’t make some of them horde and the rest neutral? That makes so much more sense. Thalyssra and co, esp Thalyssra is so Night elf in her actions, language, decision, she really doesn’t fit with the blood elf Louis. At most Baltrois I could have believed. They could have made some of them join the alliance but remain unplyablentoo. Instead they seem to have destroyed Thalyssra’s character (changed her to something more “horde” like but not really like how she was presented in 7.0) I hate when they do that just for gimmicks like nightborne going horde.
    Because any race with "neutral" factor to it will be as flaworless and irrelevant as pandaren are.