Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    With a good investment plan you’d make around $60k a year off that million. I’d invest it all let it grow and use it to retire early.
    Yup. Amazing how some people don't think it would change much at all when in reality it would offer financial independence almost anywhere on earth with some pretty simple investments. I could probably set myself up nicely on half that in some cheaper country.

Even if you don't want to rely on the market I'd be enough money to pay upfront for a small turn key business, for example a hotel on a nice Island in Thailand.

Deleted
    I need ten times that amount for my dream house but I guess I could buy a big flat in the centre of my city. It wouldn't be enough to stop me from studying, but there is a cut-off amount. I'd also want a bunch of personal prostitutes but that's illegal here if I'm not mistaken...

Id' move to a different country with faster internet. USA internet is an absolute joke.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Deleted
    Probably not much. I would save a few minutes every month filling welfare forms.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For myself, life would not change much. Money is important of course, but if I have enough to meet my basic needs, then I am happy. I would buy some more expensive toys of course and give a lot of it away to what I would consider appropriate charity. Several members of mine and my wife's family could change a lot however.

Edit: I would probably just give it all to charity or the government or something. Would be hypocritical for me to keep it.
    Last edited by Projectmars; 2018-01-09 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Removing Hypocracy

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prob get myself my own house and have my gf move in (If she wanted to ofc!) and get a better PC. Other than that? not much would change. I've never been for huge extravagant crap nor buy stuff for the sake of having it.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

10+ Year Old Account
    One word. Hummus! It's gonna be big! extra credit if you get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    I'd buy a shitload of crack.
    I have to admit I got a chuckle out of this one.

On topic : I would buy a house out right and put a few hundred k in savings. The rest would be put into investments to gradually earn more over time.

I would still work but could retire much earlier.

Not much would change, honestly. Would get a comfortable place to live, but nothing unreasonable. Just a house in a suburb around here. I would keep my job. I would buy a completely new acoustic drum kit and then a top of the line electric one as well. Maybe a new guitar or two? More concerned about the drums. But that's pretty much the only big purchases I would make.

Hard to say. Do I get a full milion or a million after taxes, which would be more like 600,000? I'd pay the house off, do about 50K in updates, new car and then figure out how to bank\invest the rest.

Not sure I'd be able to fully retire, but not having to worry about whether I had a high end job or basic job would keep the stress low. Overall, lifestyle wouldn't change too much, but again, hard to say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Say you suddenly win the lottery or a distant relative dies, either way you wind up a million dollars richer.

How would your life change? Would it be so different from how you live now? When you buy a new car it's new and exciting for the first week but after that it's just a car, wouldn't most things be like this?
    1 million?
    That's about 10 years of pay.

I could probably pay the mortgage and get a boat.
    Also college fund for the kids...

No dramatic changes however, not with just a million.

I'd keep quiet about it before leeches come knocking.

I don't think it would. I would hope that it would not be well known that i was rich. If it was, then my life would change. If it was well known that i was rich, i would buy a piece of land with a ranch style house that i could fence off and bar off the windows.

I would quit working and go to college for computer programming. Probably for C# and windows visual studio. I would invest my money in or start my own software company in hopes that i could create the games i want to play and software i want to use.

I would also hire some local musicians to jam with and record music with.

Wouldn't really change much.

I don't have that much I care to spend money on, mostly just to replace stuff of mine that's old and could do with a change.

It would just mean I'd have a nice pile of savings for if shit went down or life suddenly took a massive turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    £1mil isn't really alot to be honest. A large chunk, if not basically all of it would get a 2 or 3 bedroom house here in London. I'd no doubt use most of it in investments some how, try get more money out of the £1mil, give some close family, beyond that, no idea.
    Last edited by 3DTyrant; 2018-01-08 at 04:13 PM.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Say you suddenly win the lottery or a distant relative dies, either way you wind up a million dollars richer.

How would your life change? Would it be so different from how you live now? When you buy a new car it's new and exciting for the first week but after that it's just a car, wouldn't most things be like this?
    A million $ aint that much in lots of big cities , barely can buy a house . so my life would change but not drastically !

I would build a house in a decent neighborhood, with the other half I would use it as living expenses while I try different jobs to find something I'm truly passionate about after finishing my degree.

Also like most people are saying, $1mil isn't a lot of money in today's market BUT there's no reason you couldn't live off of it for 10+ years with proper budgeting.

But who needs proper budgeting when the first thing I'd do is spend $20,000 on home theater and audio equipment.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd move to a cold place, where people are kind and polite. Would invest the rest and live with that income.

I am not into luxury things, i just like to be where the people do not act like barbarians and i don't break into sweat at 7 a.m.

My life would change quite a lot for 1mil.

First things first I would pay off my loans, afterward I would treat myself with upgraded electronics such as new pieces for my PC, better monitor, new phone, decent soundbars and a laptop for work. I would then rent a nice apartment, and make some smart investments of around 500k to live off of that. From there I'd focus on workout, gaming and writing as i let it grow.

Fingers crossed for winning the lottery!
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.