Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    Thank you!! I will definitely look into the supplements. We already give her a multi-vitamin, but will definitely look into other supplements as well. I also was considering the fact that she may have an eating disorder. I will be consulting my husband when he gets home this evening about that being a possible issue. This whole thing for me is incredibly heart breaking for me. She's only 10, my first kiddo and I feel like I'm failing as a parent. I will definitely take your advice to heart and check into those things.

Thank you! <3
    You're not failing, you're talking about the issue and it sounds like you're doing all the right things. If it is in fact an eating disorder and not just picky eating, genetics is often a cause. The genetic cause of eating disorders is not something we talk a lot about in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoida...ntake_disorder something to read up on.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You're not failing, you're talking about the issue and it sounds like you're doing all the right things. If it is in fact an eating disorder and not just picky eating, genetics is often a cause. The genetic cause of eating disorders is not something we talk a lot about in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoida...ntake_disorder something to read up on.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much again! <3
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

10+ Year Old Account
    If shaming motherfuckers worked Gen-OT would be a much better place.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If shaming motherfuckers worked Gen-OT would be a much better place.
    Pretty much.

I've eaten like crap my whole life because I'm aiming to die of a heart attack by the age of 35, but that's just me.

Is it that children tend to overeat more often when their mothers are more strict/direct, or that mothers tend to be more strict/direct when their children are overweight? I could potentially see the validity of either argument.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    My oldest is incredibly skinny. I get asked a lot if I'm even feeding her. I'm honestly running into issues with her being extremely picky, on a horrific scale, meaning everything looks gross.

Example:

I'll make chicken, mashed potatoes, corn (or green beans). She will literally comment everything looks gross or disgusting. She'll sit and cry about it, we try to get her to eat. She'll finally take 2 bites of maybe the chicken and leave the dining room. An hour later, she's crying she's hungry and wants chicken nuggets. We make chicken nuggets, then she whines they are gross because they aren't from like chick-fil-a or something. Like the fuck?

I can't win. Regardless what I cook, it ends up as a scenario like above. I feel like she's practically starving herself to death. We keep offering her options. Chicken is gross (but she wants chick-fil-a?), beef is gross, eggs are gross, salads are gross.... cereal is ok, but no milk in it.. because milk is gross. Everything.. is ... gross. I'm honestly at a loss. We've tried giving her what she wants, not giving her what she wants and we always end up back at the same scenario. Now she complains that her legs hurt, her arms hurt, chest hurts, etc. We've taken her to doctors, had blood tests ran, etc.

I seriously don't know what to do, and I feel like I'm watching my oldest waste away. Our next step is taking her to a hospital and force feeding her through a tube. Not joking about this btw.

Any other parents out there ever go through this and was successful in helping their kiddos find something?
    Extreme picky eating, on this scale, can be an eating disorder. Have your primary doctor recommend a psychiatrist or whatever is appropriate for that, maybe.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

5+ Year Old Account
    Anorexia Signs & Symptoms

An individual suffering from anorexia nervosa may reveal one or several signs and symptoms such as:

Chronic dieting despite being hazardously underweight
    Obsession with calories and fat contents of food
    Engaging in ritualistic eating patterns, such as cutting food into tiny pieces, eating alone, and/or hiding food
    Continued fixation with food, recipes, or cooking; the individual may cook intricate meals for others but refrain from partaking
    Amenorrhea: an abnormal absence of menstruation, or loss of 3 consecutive menstrual cycles
    Depression or lethargic stage
    Development of lanugo: soft, fine hair that grows on face and body
    Reported sensation of feeling cold, particularly in extremities
    Loss or thinning of hair
    Avoidance of social functions, family, and friends. May become isolated and withdrawn

please seek help for her
    do not annoy the dragon for you are small crunchy and good with sauce

I would try to make the child as psychologically and emotionally healthy as possible so that they would not be driven to over eat.

Quote Originally Posted by delphiskye View Post
    Anorexia Signs & Symptoms

An individual suffering from anorexia nervosa may reveal one or several signs and symptoms such as:

Chronic dieting despite being hazardously underweight
    Obsession with calories and fat contents of food
    Engaging in ritualistic eating patterns, such as cutting food into tiny pieces, eating alone, and/or hiding food
    Continued fixation with food, recipes, or cooking; the individual may cook intricate meals for others but refrain from partaking
    Amenorrhea: an abnormal absence of menstruation, or loss of 3 consecutive menstrual cycles
    Depression or lethargic stage
    Development of lanugo: soft, fine hair that grows on face and body
    Reported sensation of feeling cold, particularly in extremities
    Loss or thinning of hair
    Avoidance of social functions, family, and friends. May become isolated and withdrawn

please seek help for her

The thing is, she isn't doing any of the above mentioned. Her issue is extreme picky eating. She's only 10 and doesn't really know what dieting / calories is. She doesn't even care about that. What she does care about... how food looks. Apparently everything looks gross to her. Which boggles my mind, she loves spaghetti with alfredo sauce. To me, that looks gross (and I enjoy meat in my spaghetti). However, I don't dare tell her that her food looks gross to me. =P

We will be seeking more help for her We already have before. As I mentioned in a previous post, we've taken her to doctors and had every blood test ran imaginable, we've taken her to a food counselor, and we've taken her to a psychiatrist.

We stopped the sessions with the psychiatrist we went to. I didn't want to, but this psychiatrist didn't listen to any of my concerns about my oldest, insisted that both my husband and myself showed up to the sessions (which were in the middle of work days, every week, so this would require me AND him taking a day off every week and take my daughter out of school every week), insisted I leave my 4 year old out in the waiting room alone while she gave my daughter and myself a session together (the hell?), and was just all around hard to work with. We are currently looking around for another psychiatrist, closer to where we live, that will give us a better schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    Extreme picky eating, on this scale, can be an eating disorder. Have your primary doctor recommend a psychiatrist or whatever is appropriate for that, maybe.
    We have and are still currently looking.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Nice fat shaming thread.

Will be interesting to see how your veiled America bashing and Fat shaming goes without your pocket moderator to protect you.
    hah now we know who's fat for sure. SHAME!

7+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, she isn't doing any of the above mentioned. Her issue is extreme picky eating. She's only 10 and doesn't really know what dieting / calories is. She doesn't even care about that. What she does care about... how food looks. Apparently everything looks gross to her. Which boggles my mind, she loves spaghetti with alfredo sauce. To me, that looks gross (and I enjoy meat in my spaghetti). However, I don't dare tell her that her food looks gross to me. =P
    What?? If she is going to call your food gross, you start calling hers gross too. Alfredo is pretty gross. No need to lie about such truths. Sometimes the best way to call people out on their silly behavior is to throw it back at them.

Honestly, I find the idea and look of a lot of food to be pretty gross too, but who cares. It's not there to be looked at. It's there to eat.

Deleted
    How would I stop getting my kids from becoming obese?

Oh I don't know, maybe by not feeding them with junk food?

I like how fat shaming is the one thing that unites the SJWs with the alt right.

Deleted
    My oldest is incredibly skinny. I get asked a lot if I'm even feeding her. I'm honestly running into issues with her being extremely picky, on a horrific scale, meaning everything looks gross.

Example:

I'll make chicken, mashed potatoes, corn (or green beans). She will literally comment everything looks gross or disgusting. She'll sit and cry about it, we try to get her to eat. She'll finally take 2 bites of maybe the chicken and leave the dining room. An hour later, she's crying she's hungry and wants chicken nuggets. We make chicken nuggets, then she whines they are gross because they aren't from like chick-fil-a or something. Like the fuck?

I can't win. Regardless what I cook, it ends up as a scenario like above. I feel like she's practically starving herself to death. We keep offering her options. Chicken is gross (but she wants chick-fil-a?), beef is gross, eggs are gross, salads are gross.... cereal is ok, but no milk in it.. because milk is gross. Everything.. is ... gross. I'm honestly at a loss. We've tried giving her what she wants, not giving her what she wants and we always end up back at the same scenario. Now she complains that her legs hurt, her arms hurt, chest hurts, etc. We've taken her to doctors, had blood tests ran, etc.

I seriously don't know what to do, and I feel like I'm watching my oldest waste away. Our next step is taking her to a hospital and force feeding her through a tube. Not joking about this btw.

Any other parents out there ever go through this and was successful in helping their kiddos find something?
    I behaved like this as a child, its a compulsive disorder that she herself doesnt have control over. I remember crying because food I normally thought appetizing now looked disgusting etc.

She needs professional help, I dont know the exact english words but it has to do with behaviour and forced ideas. I could only eat 1-3 very specific things, everything else was "disgusting" and those things were not enough to keep me healthy, I was insanely skinny.

I got over it by slowly learning to eat similar things through guidance, and having the intake of the 1-3 things I desired restricted to once or twice a week. It slowly got better again.

This is something that she herself has no control over, here it was likened to a junkfood addiction, which causes everything non-junk food to taste bland or look disgusting, its easy to realise as an adult and then try to break your habits... But for a child its not so easy to understand why food now looks disgusting or gross.

I'm still to this day an extremely picky eater, and its hard for my social dynamics. But I', open about it and I solve it myself by bringing food with me or eating before/after.

I know this is no solution, but I just wanted to chime in because I know of this behaviour.

Deleted
    I'm not a big fan of fat shaming because it doesn't do anything positive.
    The people that are getting hit by it are only going to eat more as food is usually their escape mechanism and when they feel bad they will reach for the food.
    Bullying someone into changing him/her self is never a good thing.

What should be done is give people a better education on the subject, what foods are good/bad what should you eat, teach them about portion sizes and the things that might happen if they continue on the path they are on.
    Also subsidize healthy food so that people on lower incomes can actually feed their family cheaper on healthy stuff then a 20 pack of fried chicken and a bag of fries for 5 dollars.

Shaming people for anything is just bad, help others or just stop butting in and let people live the life they choose to live (I choose nr2, I don't are what others do as long as it doesn't physically harm me).

7+ Year Old Account
    Saw the title of the thread, saw the OP. Made total sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0109102811.htm

Interesting.
    If you were a parent, how would you stop your kid from becoming obese? Would you take necessary action or would you just let it happen?

I think the key is to get your kid involved in sports. Don't let them waste away being a couch potato.
    You keep notice on your child, when the limit of sweets has come, you take it away or refuse them more. Be sure you involve them in cooking and eat together, explore new recipes.

Then you be sure, not your kids, YOU ALL to be active in sports with your child. Enforce the child to get an understanding and enjoyment in activities. Don't just dump them at a club and drive away.

My little girl isn't at the age of problem yet but already now, she's hardly even given sugary sweets or foods. She's soon 2, and has a good appetite for fruits and adventure.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Ranch is healthier than BBQ or ketchup. Or do you force your kids to eat dry chicken nuggets?
    ranch is absolutely not healthier than ketchup. we buy the "all natural" ketchup though, it advertises no high fructose corn syrup and shit like that.

ranch is satan's semen.

soon enough they'll realize the glory that is Frank's Red Hot sauce, and there will be no turning back
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Hopefully soon.
    Not married, has no kids, yet tells others to get married and have kids. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds. No woman will have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were a parent, how would you stop your kid from becoming obese? Would you take necessary action or would you just let it happen?

I think the key is to get your kid involved in sports. Don't let them waste away being a couch potato.
    I would lead by example. No sweets in the house. I don't eat them, and the kids wouldn't either aside from special occasions. Being active is only 1/2 the battle, but I would encourage it. Likely in the form of Martial Arts. If they really wanted to join a sports team, then sure, but I wouldn't encourage it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.