Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Same, I could see my nephew loving this.

Then again the people just claiming it's garbage while not being the target for it where probably the same people who thought the wii gimmick would fail and later thought 1-2 Switch was doomed without being bundled before it went on to sell over a million copies.

It's a neat gimmick for kids to play around with, and while overpriced I doubt most people have actually looked at a kids section these days...
    ...the Wii gimmick did fail. Next to nobody wanted to develop for it, and it was only through the success of the franchise names (Zelda, Mario, SMB, ect) that the Wii lasted as long. Most people got tired of the Wii gimmick... hence the sarcastic term "Wii-Waggling" was born. It wasn't meant as a flattering complement, you know. ;P

Too early to tell if the Switch is going to do the same route. At least there's a couple 3rd party titles this time around to maybe tide people over for a few months...

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...the Wii gimmick did fail. Next to nobody wanted to develop for it, and it was only through the success of the franchise names (Zelda, Mario, SMB, ect) that the Wii lasted as long. Most people got tired of the Wii gimmick... hence the sarcastic term "Wii-Waggling" was born. It wasn't meant as a flattering complement, you know. ;P

Too early to tell if the Switch is going to do the same route. At least there's a couple 3rd party titles this time around to maybe tide people over for a few months...
    The fact you even made this post with a straight face is mind boggling to me. Do yourself a favor and research some shit. Even if you combine the sales of both Zelda games and both Galaxy games there is still literally over 60 million Wii consoles that never bought a single one of them MINIMUM. But yea... totally bro...

As for the Switch "going the same route" if the Switch manages to sell 100 mil that's a hell of a route to take.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Ok, you're paying $70 for piano simulator. Happy now?
    I guess Nintendo identified a forgotten demographic and is about to corner the oft-ignored Peanuts' Schroeder fan market?

- - - Updated - - -

The fact you even made this post with a straight face is mind boggling to me. Do yourself a favor and research some shit. Even if you combine the sales of both Zelda games and both Galaxy games there is still literally over 60 million Wii consoles that never bought a single one of them MINIMUM. But yea... totally bro...

As for the Switch "going the same route" if the Switch manages to sell 100 mil that's a hell of a route to take.
    I love how you left out SMB, Mario Kart, ect... but whatevs. We both know I'm right and you're wrong. ^_^ And why? because my point about "Wii-Waggling" is true, and was still a failure as nobody gives a shit about it or is trying to recreate that or invest in that shit today.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2018-01-18 at 05:22 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Well that didn't take long.

well I guess i'm pre ordering it.

I love how you left out SMB, Mario Kart, ect... but whatevs. We both know I'm right and you're wrong. ^_^ And why? because my point about "Wii-Waggling" is true, and was still a failure as nobody gives a shit about it or is trying to recreate that or invest in that shit.
    You mean the same MK that made heavy use of the Wii Mote and invented tilt controls for it? That casuals loved playing with the steering wheel? Yep, Wii gimmick totally had nothing to do with it /s

But yep, you're right a system that sold 100 mil was a failure. You know, cause only 5 systems ever manged to do that if you combine both handhelds and consoles. What a failure.

I love how you left out SMB, Mario Kart, ect... but whatevs. We both know I'm right and you're wrong. ^_^ And why? because my point about "Wii-Waggling" is true, and was still a failure as nobody gives a shit about it or is trying to recreate that or invest in that shit today.
    Well, gee, I guess we heard it here first.

The internet making fun of something makes it true!

He's talking factual sales you know, not just what people on the internet who hate everything anyway says.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not the target audience of course, it looks total garbage. My kids might have liked it if they cared about Nintendo products, but they don't.

1-2 switch selling a million copies is great, a million people stupid enough to buy a game that should have been bundled. All applaud Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    To be fair, 1-2 Switch was so fucking trash. Half the minigames didn't even work for me. Especially when compared to Wii Sports, which despite being packaged in, I wouldn't even blink if someone put it in the Top 100 games of all time. That game was so incredibly fun.
    I have no opinion on the game as I never played it and never plan to play it. I just feel like it's indisputable Nintendo made the right call on not bundling it when everyone(including myself) thought it would be dead in the water without doing so.

Generally you should only bundle games for 2 reasons, 1) to add incentive to buy the system or 2) it's a game that won't do well on it's own to get it an install base. The first one didn't matter because Nintendo seems to have met/surpassed sales goals without it being bundled and the 2nd was clearly wrong because Nintendo found 1 mil people willing to pay $50 for it LOL.

Nintendo does get stuff wrong, and their failures are obvious but at this point I feel like they get things right more so then wrong. For every Wii U there is 2 things people never said would work but did. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see this shit actually be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    To be fair, 1-2 Switch was so fucking trash. Half the minigames didn't even work for me. Especially when compared to Wii Sports, which despite being packaged in, I wouldn't even blink if someone put it in the Top 100 games of all time. That game was so incredibly fun.

One thing about 1-2-Switch, all three major launch titles for the Switch represent something about the Switch.

1-2-Switch represents HD rumble, motion and gyro, IR, all the internal stuff.

Snipperclips represents multiplayer out of the box.

Breath of the Wild represents console experience both at home and on the go.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, Nintendo is a toy company, this is just bringing together what they before they went into the videogame market. Just like their merging of handheld and consoles.

Now I'm just wondering how they are going to bring hanafuda cards into the Switch's lineup.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the toys are just like what 1-2-Switch did, but adding something physical to it alongside of the JoyCons.

You mean the same MK that made heavy use of the Wii Mote and invented tilt controls for it? That casuals loved playing with the steering wheel? Yep, Wii gimmick totally had nothing to do with it /s

But yep, you're right a system that sold 100 mil was a failure. You know, cause only 5 systems ever manged to do that if you combine both handhelds and consoles. What a failure.
    Oh christ, here we go...

First off, before you Nintendo Fanboy all over me - I didn't say the Wii wasn't a success (although, on the side, it wasn't - or at least I don't consider 1-year+ Fads as a "success" when determining Console generations... more on that later). I argued the gimmick of the Wii failed. I say it failed because nobody fucking cared and liked it post its fad-year, and nobody wanted to continue it's stupid motion controls. This is why modern more-successful consoles like the PS4/XB1 work because they focus on GAMING controllers, not gimmick controllers. (don't throw at me Switch's 11 mill this season... lets wait 2+ years and see if it fails like the Wii-U did, or becomes another fad like the Wii was.)

Secondly, don't say "Wii didn't fail! it sold 100 million units" and then leave out the fact the sales stopped dead-cold a year+ later because (Gasp! as I said!) no other games were made for it. It was a smegging fad like smegging Rockband was... but I'll agree it wouldn't have been a fad had they not done EXACTLY what I said, not make stupid wii-waggle controllers instead of ACTUAL PROPER CONTROLLERS. I know, the truth hurts... and no matter how hard you may get upset or it hurts your Nintendo-pride - the fact is Nintendo themselves realized that mistake that later when they had to at least try to make button configs similar to the PS/XB because they forgot GAMES sold the console, not gimmicks. And no 3rd party wanted to develop for a gimmick, no matter how many unit sales - hence my original point... the Wii-Waggling gimmick failed on the Wii. 100 million units or 10 million, it didn't fucking matter - the wii-waggle failed to catch on in the market.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2018-01-18 at 08:38 AM.

First off, before you Nintendo Fanboy all over me
    Ah the classic.

Thanks for making it so I didn't even need to bother reading the rest of your post, I already knew it was doomed there.

Millions of Wiis were sold.

Millions of them were also quickly forgotten as the Wii-Waggle gimmick grew old.

As a gaming machine, Wii is lackluster at best, with only the usual first party suspects giving it some semblance of relevancy.

- - - Updated - - -

(don't throw at me Switch's 11 mill this season... lets wait 2+ years and see if it fails like the Wii-U did, or becomes another fad like the Wii was.)
    I don't think Switch will fail anywhere as hard as Wii did. JoyCon waggling is optional, the system already has good 3rd party support (and for indies it is the dream machine) and it is the most powerful portable console on the market.

Well...Labo looks cool I think, but yeah, not at that price...once it drops to around $10-$20 used at GameStop, then I might grab the game and get the patterns online and harvest my own cardboard boxes.

The sub Reddit is fucking disgusting sometimes. People trying to justify the price. "It comes with 5 games each needing their own controller "

It's fucking cardboard holy shit. It has less games on it than 1 2 switch.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If that fishing game has any kind of story mode and not just a pond with fish in it, I'm so there, fishing with the rest of the anglers. Tho I guess it'll be barebones fishing in a pond or two with a small variety of fish since it's a 5in1 pack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792T5S...=nintendo+labo

£60 for a piece of cardboard......

I have no words to describe the absolute greed and stupidity of it.

There's nothing innovative about this at all. It's just cardboard made for the Switch and priced high because it has Nintendo slapped on it.

It's the equivalent of car makers who price basic products higher than usual because it's got their brand name on it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-01-18 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792T5S...=nintendo+labo

£60 for a piece of cardboard......

I have no words to describe the absolute greed and stupidity of it.
    It's mainly for the games themselves, and you don't even actually need the cardboard to play them. Yeah, it's pricey and I agree with a lower price point, but it's frustrating seeing Nintendo actually try some cool new shit like this only to have everyone turn on them because "oh em gee cardboard!".

If anything, I really hope this is more a proof of concept to help get third party developers to start thinking about games on the Switch differently and looking to this for inspiration. Some sweet peripherals for games that really make use of the hardware/motion controls that are this consoles true unique selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's mainly for the games themselves, and you don't even actually need the cardboard to play them. Yeah, it's pricey and I agree with a lower price point, but it's frustrating seeing Nintendo actually try some cool new shit like this only to have everyone turn on them because "oh em gee cardboard!".

If anything, I really hope this is more a proof of concept to help get third party developers to start thinking about games on the Switch differently and looking to this for inspiration. Some sweet peripherals for games that really make use of the hardware/motion controls that are this consoles true unique selling point.
    Then if they wanted to be innovative they should have not used cardboard.

Simple as that.

It reminds me of these baubles I saw last Christmas that were like £30-40 just because they had the word "Lamborghini" printed on them.

This is essentially the same thing. Overpriced cardboard with their stamp on it.

And if it was any other company I'd give them the same criticism for it. Not because it's Nintendo.

Then if they wanted to be innovative they should have not used cardboard.
    Honestly, I think it's pretty awesome, myself. Yeah it's flimsy, but it's both showing off that you don't need to have any kind of high-tech/complicated solutions for these things, and I dig that it's inviting folks to do shit like customize it with markets and stickers and whatnot.

It reminds me of these baubles I saw last Christmas that were like £30-40 just because they had the word "Lamborghini" printed on them.
    Except, again, you're not paying this price for the cardboard. It's for the software and related costs with developing it to begin with. This isn't just slapping a Nintendo brand on something that already exists, they had to create all these designs to begin with as well.

And if it was any other company I'd give them the same criticism for it. Not because it's Nintendo.
    You know I'm no Nintendo fan and I'm usually pretty critical, but for once I actually love this idea. It's a flawed execution, mainly with the pricing that seems out of whack, but conceptually it's bloody brilliant and this is literally the kind of stuff I was hoping to see them push to really show off how interesting and unique the Switch is compared to the other platforms hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, I think it's pretty awesome, myself. Yeah it's flimsy, but it's both showing off that you don't need to have any kind of high-tech/complicated solutions for these things, and I dig that it's inviting folks to do shit like customize it with markets and stickers and whatnot.

Except, again, you're not paying this price for the cardboard. It's for the software and related costs with developing it to begin with. This isn't just slapping a Nintendo brand on something that already exists, they had to create all these designs to begin with as well.

You know I'm no Nintendo fan and I'm usually pretty critical, but for once I actually love this idea. It's a flawed execution, mainly with the pricing that seems out of whack, but conceptually it's bloody brilliant and this is literally the kind of stuff I was hoping to see them push to really show off how interesting and unique the Switch is compared to the other platforms hardware.
    If you think it's brilliant then fine. I'm not going to tell you that you can't think that because we are all entitled to our opinions here.

And mine is that it's an overpriced piece of flimsy cardboard with less games than cheaper game compilations that has a high price purely because Nintendo stamped their name on it.