Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    You do it because you're afraid of being shamed not because you have empathy.

That's just what you tell yourself to feel superior, which shows some other issues you might have.
    That's a very strange conclusion to draw. People don't really think this way. Empathy is about understanding how it would feel if you were in the other person's shoes and then acting in a way towards them how you would like them to treat you. I might feel guilty for not paying a tip, because I have a conscience (something that sociopaths lack, together with empathy)

But a fear of being shamed? No that would be very odd. That's how a person without empathy might respond. They would pay the tip because they're more concerned with how others around them would respond than because they have any feeling of guilt (because while they're incapable of guilt, being shamed means that they'd lose credibility with other people)

As it should. And people would decide, based on that, if they want to dine there.
    Why would it make any difference? If I go to a restaurant knowing that the accepted practice in the country is to add a 20% tip then I simply take that into account when considering the price. I am not some retard who can't do that kind of simple arithmetic. I get that maybe for someone visiting a foreign country that it might things a little more complicated, but since it's all relative it shouldn't really be a factor.

And there we have it. The proof that you only do this so you have some sort of pathetic imaginary high ground to stand on.
    Again. That's a very strange conclusion to draw. People don't really think this way (unless they have zero empathy)

Based on what you say so far I'm a far better human being than you are.

I don't need to go to forums and claim I'm better than others.
    Dude, you're the one here trying to justify what is to anyone with any degree of empathy, dickish behaviour. I am not here to claim I am better than others, simply to give my view on the topic at hand. You have some seriously odd ideas about what motivates people (again everything you write just seems to scream no empathy. how strange).

You're not a massive dick for refusing to pay more than the bill says.
    Correct, you're a massive dick for refusing to pay that which would be fair. It's like when you refuse to be considerate to other drivers on the road: You're not a dick for refusing to do so something that the law doesn't compel you to do. You're a dick for refusing to show consideration for other people.

You're just brainwashed into thinking it. Which means the shaming tactics are working ( on you ).
    Once again, zero understanding of what makes people tick.

Those of us who are slightly more resistant to manipulation see through it.
    You mean those without any empathy don't get it....

If you were really such a nice person you wouldn't be debating on MMOC and trying to compare yourself to me ( I don't even live in the US and you have NO idea how much money I give to the poor, as to claim I lack empathy ), you'd be out there and save a kitten from a tree.

But you're just the typical Facebook soccer mom commenter, who feels the need to flaunt how good of a human being they are in order to get attention.
    Yeah, that's right. Go full out ad hominem on me. Of course rational people don't need to resort to this kind of tactic if they had an actual argument...
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-02-13 at 05:24 PM.

I hardly ever tip, but we don't pay lower than minimum to servers here, in a lot of states however they do. So I would tip if I was in one of those states.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as people continue to fuel this business it won't change. Why would employers pay more when there's a bunch of suckers ready to pay for them.

The employer makes a boatload of money and only pays the waiter 3$ an hour.
    Like i said, most states don't do that anymore because it's illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I only tip if the service was outstanding, no matter the country I'm in.

Why tip someone for just writing down what you want and bringing over some plates?
    Would make more sense to tip the chef in any case too.
    Because in America if you don't tip the servers they get less than minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I mean if even 50% of those working as servers said "This is unacceptable we want a change" that's a significant number to surely warrant Government interest
    At least until a lobbyist from the restaurant industry starts waving enticing offers in front of committee members. Then the interest crumbles like a house of cards.

In this case, a waiter that should get his money from the employer, not from you.
    But they don't. Not tipping in the USA is morally theft. By raging against the system you are fucking the individual server.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    i know several severs that don't want the tipping culture changed in the US because they make more with it than without. Granted most of these are rather attractive females or work in high end restaurants.

If they got paid minwage it would be a pay cut to some. Most wait staff that does their job and treat their people well seem to make above min-wage, and i think some(most?) states have laws that if tips dont at least equal min-wage the store has to make up the difference.
    This is generally true, and you don't even have to be female. It's rare for me that my total compensation is under $25/hour; it usually has to be really slow for that, and on some nights I can pull $40/hour plus.

An industry-wide switching of servers to hourly (unless they converted tips to a service fee that servers got to keep) would likely necessitate a restructuring of labor in restaurants. Most (I'd guess) servers aren't getting full-time hours- it's the ability to make a high hourly through tips despite shorter hours that makes the job worthwhile for a lot of servers.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I once heard a Canadian colleague saying that you don't tip in Australia, but you wouldn't anyway. Kek.

P.S. Thanks a lot, now I have "French kissing in the USA" stuck in my head.
    There are plenty of places in Australia where you would want to tip, restaurants and such on the higher end of the scale but in general tipping is not existent at places that are equivalent to ihop or cafes or burger places.

That's a very strange conclusion to draw. People don't really think this way. Empathy is about understanding how it would feel if you were in the other person's shoes and then acting in a way towards them how you would like them to treat you.

No, empathy is helping those that need help. Waiters don't. They chose that job knowing what the contract's hourly wage is.

Show your ''empathy'' by donating to those gender study majors who can't find a job, too.

But a fear of being shamed? No that would be very odd. That's how a person without empathy might respond. They would pay the tip because they're more concerned with how others around them would respond than because they have any feeling of guilt (because while they're incapable of guilt, being shamed means that they'd lose credibility with other people)
    A sociopath wouldn't care about how others view them.

Tipping has nothing to do with empathy.

Again. That's a very strange conclusion to draw.
    Not at all, your words prove me right.

Normal people don't throw words like ''sociopath'' around based on a few forum posts.

So either you're not normal or you think you have some sort of moral highground, which you don't.

Correct, you're a massive dick for refusing to pay that which would be fair.
    What would be fair is what's on the bill.

You're a dick for refusing to show consideration for other people.

What consideration? Waiters aren't some sort of helpless abuse victims. They willingly enter this business and they get paid far more than they should be paid when you account for tips, which also don't get taxed.

Why would I have consideration for tax evaders that rely on shame tactics to earn wages comparable to those of people with an education?

Yeah, that's right. Go full out ad hominem on me. Of course rational people don't need to resort to this kind of tactic if they had an actual argument...
    Your argument is " This is wrong because I say so " so there's no reason for me to use ad hominem. Nor did I. You don't seem to understand what ad hominem is.

At any rate, my argument is that you shouldn't tip because waiters willingly accept their wage, don't pay taxes out of tips and this toxic industry is allowing them to earn as much as someone that studied their ass off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    But they don't. Not tipping in the USA is morally theft. By raging against the system you are fucking the individual server.
    The individual fucked himself over by accepting a 3$/hr job and expecting to get more at the expense of the citizens that did not hire him.

You're asking me to have compassion for people that put themselves in that position. None given.

So @pateuvasiliu =

?

Edgy.

- - - Updated - - -

The individual fucked himself over by accepting a 3$/hr job and expecting to get more at the expense of the citizens that did not hire him.

You're asking me to have compassion for people that put themselves in that position. None given.
    Yeah, like individual people really have a choice in the American minimum wage system. But hey, if punching down makes you feel righteous. You clearly don't care about morality so the discussion is moot.

So @pateuvasiliu =

Edgy.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, like individual people really have a choice in the American minimum wage system. But hey, if punching down makes you feel righteous. You clearly don't care about morality so the discussion is moot.
    I care about morality plenty, I'm against abortion, prostitution, alimony, child support.. gee, what else?

This shit you're exhibiting right now is precisely why the employers can get away with hiring people with 3$ an hour. It's an industry made to:

1. Make you think you have some sort of moral high ground for paying where their employer ( the actual business owner who makes money ) doesn't

2. Shame those who don't into doing it ( which results in more money for the employer as they don't have to change the wages they pay the waiters )

I care about morality plenty, I'm against abortion, prostitution, alimony, child support.. gee, what else?
    Dunno, sounds more like you only care about yourself.

Dunno, sounds more like you only care about yourself.
    Despite it not being true, that's not a bad thing.

Sitdown restaurants: Our waiters and waitresses here don't even make minimum wage. They depend almost exclusively on tips. I usually go 15% for average service. 10% for below average service. 20%+ if they did an exceptional job.

Delivery: Usually 10% to 15%. Drivers already make minimum or higher and they get money for gas.

Massage: $15 to $20 for a 1 hour service. My Wife and I usually get a 90 minute couples massage once a month and we tip our therapists each $30.

I'm not a big fan of tipping, especially living in California where wait staff makes at least minimum wage, so they don't live off only tips like in other states. If i have some extra coins when buying my coffee, I'll put it in the tip jar. But yeah, in sit down restaurant, I just double tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Oh shit is it that time again? Time for yet another tipping thread?
    2 weeks from now we'll have the "who should pay on the first date"

A month from now "I just went on a date. Does she like me" thread

Once I accidentally gave my local pizza place a $20 tip for 2 small pizzas I came to pick up myself. I was pretty annoyed at first, but I started getting the royal treatment every time I went in from then on, so it ended up totally being worth it.

Despite it not being true,
    Wanting to deny reproductive rights to women, the right to work their jobs to sex workers, financial support for spouses, and especially financial support for children. In combination with the disdain for servers.

You're trying to frame it otherwise, but really, you are just an egoist who doesn't care about other people. Would be a lot more honest if you just owned it.

I get a lack of empathy. Sometimes beings are born that way. But don't lie about it.

that's not a bad thing.
    Generally, only caring about one selves is regarded a negative in human society. Normal people understand that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Us foreigners like me an Australian , or British, Europeans & New Zealanders who may visit the USA for a Holiday are not used to tipping.

I know Tipping from customers makes up quite a bit of a workers wages in the USA.

So some basic questions about Tipping in the USA.

How much do you normally tip someone.?
    Do you have to Tip ?
    If you have 2 people serving you.. do you tip both ?

Do wait staff in Canada expect Tips as well. ?
    I just payed a flat 30 dollars and only ate at local littel places around san fran recommended by my friend. Except one Chinese joint that rolled the red carpet out for us where we tipped extravigantly for the exceptional service

So how much I tip depends strongly on the state that I'm in, along with the quality of the service.

Some of the nicer/wealthier states will pay minimum wage to tipped staff, including places like California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota. I tend to tip a little less, since they are not actively relying on my tips to survive. 15% is basically my upper limit, barring exceptional service. In other states, 15% is basically my minimum, going as high as 30% based on service. Basically all the red/southern states allow a tipped wage of $2.13 an hour, around $5 less than the federal minimum wage. So waitresses at diners rely on ~$3 per person to make ends meet.

If you have multiple servers, you tip the same amount. If you're paying by card, there will be somewhere on the receipt to leave a tip. If you're paying by cash, leave whatever extra amount you want on the table. Pro-tip, if you're tipping $0 make sure to write "No Tip" on the tip line, write the total out, and take a picture. Pay attention to your account, as I've encountered a handful of places that will adjust your tipped amount after the fact. Same thing if you're tipping a small %.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2018-02-13 at 07:06 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis