Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Wrong. I didn't create the divide, Disney and the left did. I was just highlighting how pathetic it had become.

Here, watch this and you might get a better idea of where I am coming from:

Not gonna watch that. don’t care and I’m going to see the movie it self now, my point is you came into this thread and started spouting crap about a movie you haven’t seen. saying reviews are only good because people think there racist and linking moronic tweets, it’s pretty clear why some one would think you have a problem with a movie with a lot of blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Not gonna watch that. don’t care and I’m going to see the movie it self now, my point is you came into this thread and started spouting crap about a movie you haven’t seen. saying reviews are only good because people think there racist and linking moronic tweets, it’s pretty clear why some one would think you have a problem with a movie with a lot of blacks.
    So you don't care about my reasoning or opinions because you had already predetermined my motives. If you just want to point fingers and scream racist at people then that's your call but it doesn't seem very productive.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So you don't care about my reasoning or opinions because you had already predetermined my motives. If you just want to point fingers and scream racist at people then that's your call but it doesn't seem very productive.
    Didn’t determine any thing, from what you have posted so far it seems like you came to the thread to make a fuss about sjw/liberals or what ever I don’t even think any thing you have posted so far is racist but from all angles it looks like you came to the thread to make a fuss about a movie you haven’t seen and have said your self you don’t plan on seeing.

To answer your question seriously, no I haven't seen it and I likely won't. I hadn't heard of Black Panther before the Civil War movie and to be honest I found his character to be annoying, something about it just didn't feel right. Same as I don't like the Hawkeye and Vision characters. Hard to explain, they just didn't gel with me.
    So how many posts are you going to devote to judging a film you haven't seen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So how many posts are you going to devote to judging a film you haven't seen?
    Because I was discussing how the promotion of the film was politicised, not the actual film itself. The movie could rank up there with Citizen Kane in terms of brilliance for all I care. I just find the way Disney and the left promoted and the film despicable.

Because I was discussing how the promotion of the film was politicised, not the actual film itself. The movie could rank up there with Citizen Kane in terms of brilliance for all I care. I just find the way Disney and the left promoted and the film despicable.
    Why do I get the feeling that, if this movie had been called White Panther and starred some gruff South African guy or whatever, you'd be on here doing the usual trololol triggered beta lib cucks routine?

10+ Year Old Account
    My point was that Disney is cynically politicising their films to escape potential bad reviews. That moron's tweet just shows what happens when you politicise a movie and the left runs with it. What should have been just another movie takes a giant divisive step towards the surreal. Well done Disney.
    How are they politicizing a movie? They didn't just pull Black Panther out of their ass. They planned to make this movie YEARS back and the character itself is old as shit. TIL when a movie features a cast full of minorities its politicized.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/18/m...e-records.html

“Black Panther” arrived to very strong results in the United Kingdom, Belgium, Ukraine, South Korea, Mexico and Brazil, in many cases beating initial ticket sales for Marvel nonsequels based on lesser-known characters, including “Guardians of the Galaxy” in 2014.

“Black Panther” was softer in Germany, an important market, where the sadomasochistic “Fifty Shades Freed” outsold it.
    Germany, we need to talk.

On February 15, 2017, Fandango announced that the film had the fourth-highest presale tickets sold, behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Rogue One. It also became the top preseller for a superhero film, beating Captain America: Civil War and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice; for a film released in February, beating Deadpool, as well as for the first quarter of the year, beating The Hunger Games and Beauty and the Beast.[174]
    As of February 18, 2018, Black Panther has grossed $192 million in the United States and Canada, and $169 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $361 million.[4] It had a worldwide opening of $361 million, the 15th-biggest of all time, including $30 million that was attributed to IMAX screenings, the fourth biggest amount ever.[167]
    The film opened to $28.4 million in the United Kingdom, out-grossing the entire theatrical runs of Justice League, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Ant-Man and Iron Man. It also made $25.3 million in Korea, $9.6 million in Mexico and $7.7 million in France.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...lm)#Box_office

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't think negative views were allowed because Disney promoted it as a black movie therefore any criticism was racist. Just like they promoted Star Wars as the first female lead so any criticism meant you are sexist. Disney really has mastered the art of sjw politics.
    Their just trying to cover up the fact they made song of the south. And the crows from dumbo
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Their just trying to cover up the fact they made song of the south. And the crows from dumbo
    You left out Fantasia, 1953 Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book.... I can list others...

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    How are they politicizing a movie? They didn't just pull Black Panther out of their ass. They planned to make this movie YEARS back and the character itself is old as shit. TIL when a movie features a cast full of minorities its politicized.
    If you look at practically every promotional interview, actor interview, studio interview, early review or puff piece it is hammered front and centre that this movie is a ground breaking black film with an all black cast. A lot of the leftist tweets extolling the virtues of this movie were extremely racist. In fact I don't think I've seen one article about Black Panther where the colour of the cast isn't mentioned. If you could point me to one I'd be grateful.

Why can't it be promoted as just another superhero movie? Why belittle the actors and fixate on skin colour? And before you blame me for that it has nothing to do with me, I'm just highlighting what the left keeps talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at practically every promotional interview, actor interview, studio interview, early review or puff piece it is hammered front and centre that this movie is a ground breaking black film with an all black cast. A lot of the leftist tweets extolling the virtues of this movie were extremely racist. In fact I don't think I've seen one article about Black Panther where the colour of the cast isn't mentioned. If you could point me to one I'd be grateful.

Why can't it be promoted as just another superhero movie? Why belittle the actors and fixate on skin colour? And before you blame me for that it has nothing to do with me, I'm just highlighting what the left keeps talking about.
    So you people to not acknowledge that its an out of ordinary movie in its subgenre. To just ignore the significance of the movie to black movie goers, black comic book fans, and the status quo in Hollywood (in general).

Hollywood is dominated by proven troupes, troupes that made money in the past. Risks are seldom taken because no one wants to be the filmmaker/studio on the wrong side of a risk. How many black superheroes are there and how many have movies? Blade? Only hardcore comic book fans would even recognize him as a superhero. Spawn? Great role model. Remember the drama on the internet when it was suggested that Donald Glover might've been Spiderman? Black superheroes haven't fared too well on the big screen. Of course people are going to make a big deal about Black Panther's cast. Not only is it a studio taking a huge risk, it success lets studios know "hey, maybe people are interested in heroes beyond the plain white guy (see Wonder Woman's success), maybe people outside of a stereotypical demographic are also interested in sci-fi/fantasy/comic movies."

It would be doing a great disservice to the movie (also filmmakers and fans) if everyone went around pretending (because that exactly what it would be - pretending) that this was just your typical superhero movie.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Iam quarter Welsh cause my Grandfather was from Wales and i have no problem if they want to promote Wales but i do wonder if this was a mistake or the Director thinking the Welsh Flag looks cool which it does or the director has a welsh bias which would be interesting if he does.

Wales like England voted for Brexit and Wales knows it cant exist as a independent nation and is ok with just having its own Parliament and its own language on the signs unlike England that has no parliament or any real recognition as a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Um it’s African American panther you racist.
    Pretty sure you need to be an American citizen, which T'challa is not, to be African American. Since he has both the ethnicity and the nationality calling him just plain African is correct.

Also in case you're unaware there's an animal called a black panther that T'challa styled his superhero identity Black Panther after. Or someone did. I think it's a legacy character handed down.

Nice job throwing around undeserved racist cards, btw. You got me to respond.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporebat View Post
    Wales like England voted for Brexit and Wales knows it cant exist as a independent nation and is ok with just having its own Parliament and its own language on the signs unlike England that has no parliament or any real recognition as a nation.
    To most people, England and the UK are synonymous in every meaningful way. And because so many of us come from countries that were once ruled from Britain, I'm not sure you're going to garner much sympathy with this victim routine.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    So you people to not acknowledge that its an out of ordinary movie in its subgenre. To just ignore the significance of the movie to black movie goers, black comic book fans, and the status quo in Hollywood (in general).

Hollywood is dominated by proven troupes, troupes that made money in the past. Risks are seldom taken because no one wants to be the filmmaker/studio on the wrong side of a risk. How many black superheroes are there and how many have movies? Blade? Only hardcore comic book fans would even recognize him as a superhero. Spawn? Great role model. Remember the drama on the internet when it was suggested that Donald Glover might've been Spiderman? Black superheroes haven't fared too well on the big screen. Of course people are going to make a big deal about Black Panther's cast. Not only is it a studio taking a huge risk, it success lets studios know "hey, maybe people are interested in heroes beyond the plain white guy (see Wonder Woman's success), maybe people outside of a stereotypical demographic are also interested in sci-fi/fantasy/comic movies."

It would be doing a great disservice to the movie (also filmmakers and fans) if everyone went around pretending (because that exactly what it would be - pretending) that this was just your typical superhero movie.
    I respectfully disagree. I believe Black Panther would have been a successful movie without all the sjw pandering. How many Will Smith movies were successful? A fuckload and none of them required promotions centred around diversity. Critics being terrified to be the first to criticise a film on it's merits sets a dangerous precedent. And Disney cynically banked on this and people can't stop praising them for it.

And don't you find the constant references back to race patronising? Wouldn't it be more cause for celebration if race was never mentioned because it's unremarkable? To me it is unremarkable, it is just another superhero movie. And for that I'm being pilloried.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    To most people, England and the UK are synonymous in every meaningful way. And because so many of us come from countries that were once ruled from Britain, I'm not sure you're going to garner much sympathy with this victim routine.
    and you wonder why they voted Brexit?

I respectfully disagree. I believe Black Panther would have been a successful movie without all the sjw pandering. How many Will Smith movies were successful? A fuckload and none of them required promotions centred around diversity. Critics being terrified to be the first to criticise a film on it's merits sets a dangerous precedent. And Disney cynically banked on this and people can't stop praising them for it.

And don't you find the constant references back to race patronising? Wouldn't it be more cause for celebration if race was never mentioned because it's unremarkable? To me it is unremarkable, it is just another superhero movie. And for that I'm being pilloried.
    No you're being piloried because you're being an insufferable t pedantic twat. Stop playing the victim child. You're quite literally being mirror image of the very thing you claim to hate. Do you not know what irony is or do you just not care?
    Last edited by shimerra; 2018-02-19 at 05:56 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Pretty sure you need to be an American citizen, which T'challa is not, to be African American. Since he has both the ethnicity and the nationality calling him just plain African is correct.

Also in case you're unaware there's an animal called a black panther that T'challa styled his superhero identity Black Panther after. Or someone did. I think it's a legacy character handed down.

Nice job throwing around undeserved racist cards, btw. You got me to respond.
    You realize you are responding to a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    You realize you are responding to a joke, right?
    Never underestimate how profoundly stupid some people are.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I don't know, I'm pretty traditional/conservative and I have no problem with discussing how Black Panther can be seen as an important/milestone movie for the black community in the US. I loved the whole cast, in particular Danai Gurira (I've liked her since Walking Dead) and T'Challa's relationship with his sister Shuri. And while i didn't agree with Killmonger's goal, I could certainly understand how he ended up where he did psychologically.

A movie with a black cast, and with a plot centered on Africa, doesn't make me feel threatened at all as a white guy from the Balkans. Why would it? Even if you do remove the deeper issues of discussion in the film, you're still left with a pretty entertaining movie.