Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgzerg View Post
    AMD with their 9% market share among gamers is already irrelevant and nobody cares about them. They chose mining virtual money over providing entertainment, fuck amd tbh
    How is Nvidia any different? My graphics card that I bought nearly 2 years ago costs almost double the price today, new. All thanks to crypto mining.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    MS and Sony went with AMD, maybe nVIDIA is salty about that. However they are exclusively with Nintendo and the Switch is not going to slow down any time soon so who knows.
    I think Nvidia is just protecting their dominance. They can't gain more market share, so the best solution is to protect what they have. Especially if the APU market takes off, since that's not something Nvidia could ever do as they have no x86 license. APU's seem to be the best new thing since it's the best way to circumvent crypo-mining. Something Intel and AMD can do, and will certainly improve. This GPP program ensures that Nvidia cards are gaming cards, or at the least are branded with recognizable names. Thus furthering the naming confusion people have with products. This ensures that Nvidia has even more mind share over competitors like AMD.

The Switch has been hacked already and emulators are being worked on to make those games run on PC. All thanks to Nvidia's insecure well documented hardware. Plus the Tegra chip is running at half speed when docked and the heat it produces is warping Nintendo Switches. It's actually quiet embarrassing for Nvidia right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I think Nvidia is just protecting their dominance. They can't gain more market share, so the best solution is to protect what they have. Especially if the APU market takes off, since that's not something Nvidia could ever do as they have no x86 license. APU's seem to be the best new thing since it's the best way to circumvent crypo-mining. Something Intel and AMD can do, and will certainly improve. This GPP program ensures that Nvidia cards are gaming cards, or at the least are branded with recognizable names. Thus furthering the naming confusion people have with products. This ensures that Nvidia has even more mind share over competitors like AMD.

The Switch has been hacked already and emulators are being worked on to make those games run on PC. All thanks to Nvidia's insecure well documented hardware. Plus the Tegra chip is running at half speed when docked and the heat it produces is warping Nintendo Switches. It's actually quiet embarrassing for Nvidia right now.
    Still, Switch units will surpass XBOX ONE this year even with those issues. My switch has not warped as well as anyone else I know with a Switch so they could just be lemons, however that is not really a big deal I am sure it has been fixed if it was something common in a standard revision. Emulators are also a good thing I support, it gives people more options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still, Switch units will surpass XBOX ONE this year even with those issues. My switch has not warped as well as anyone else I know with a Switch so they could just be lemons, however that is not really a big deal I am sure it has been fixed if it was something common in a standard revision. Emulators are also a good thing I support, it gives people more options.
    Xbox One wasn't exactly popular this console generation. The success of the Switch has more to do with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey which were games of the year in 2017. 2017 didn't have many great games. Also the Dreamcasts failure was due to piracy, and the Switch is gonna be really easy to pirate on. Nvidia doesn't exactly make great APU's.

Xbox One wasn't exactly popular this console generation. The success of the Switch has more to do with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey which were games of the year in 2017. 2017 didn't have many great games. Also the Dreamcasts failure was due to piracy, and the Switch is gonna be really easy to pirate on. Nvidia doesn't exactly make great APU's.

Piracy did not kill the Dreamcast, it was SEGA's poor business moves over multiple generations. Switch is successful because it is handheld and is the successor to 3DS. As for the bend I am not sure, mine still looks fine but that kind of shit happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Piracy did not kill the Dreamcast, it was SEGA's poor business moves over multiple generations. Switch is successful because it is handheld and is the successor to 3DS. As for the bend I am not sure, mine still looks fine but that kind of shit happens.
    Nobody has an accurate reasoning for how the Dreamcast died. I personally had one and pirated the crap out of those games, and Sega did try to stop it, though people found work arounds. The PS2 and GC were not so easily piratable. It's not like the Dreamcast didn't continue to sell well even after Sega stopped supporting it. So my theory is that the ease of piracy is why Sega killed it. The Switch is already bypassed and people are working on piracy. Not saying the Switch is going to die a horrible death like the Dreamcast, but the exploits that were found in the Switch to pirate was due to Nvidia's hardware.

Also I wouldn't call the Switch very portable. Disconnecting it puts it in limp mode, and lasts for a few hours at best.

I think Nvidia is just protecting their dominance. They can't gain more market share, so the best solution is to protect what they have. Especially if the APU market takes off, since that's not something Nvidia could ever do as they have no x86 license. APU's seem to be the best new thing since it's the best way to circumvent crypo-mining. Something Intel and AMD can do, and will certainly improve.
    If Nvidia wants to protect their dominance then they should do it with quality products and not shady deals.

This is definitely happening because of the APU solutions but NVidia should have worked with Intel to create something if they wanted to compete on that side. Instead they have been doing pretty much everything they can to shore up their markets and stepping on both AMD and Intel in the process. It's not good for consumers. I am not saying that AMD and Intel are angels or are looking out for our best interests. If they do something that's anti-competitive then we should call them out on it too. Consumers should forget their biases and preferences when it comes to things like this and make a stand because it's only a matter of time before it turns around and bites them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a superior product you call the shots. Nothing new about it.

LOL @Dukenukemx trying to downplay Switches insane success, just because it has Nvidia in it

PS2 was pirated like a mothertrucker, didnt stop it from selling 150+ Mil lifetime and being the #1 console in history
    Xbox360 was pirated early on, still was > PS3 for the majority of that gen and MS biggest success
    .. the same with Wii
    .. the same with everything pretty much

Switch is only going to pick up more and more and more steam (new flagship Pokemon RPG game, new Smash Bros + for sure more Mario games), both Nintendo and Nvidia have hit a gold mine here .. I was skeptical, but noone can deny Switch being a smash hit anymore
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2018-03-13 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    If you have a superior product you call the shots. Nothing new about it.
    If that was actually true the hardware world would have looked different. Cause even when Nvidia had the shit products and AMD/ATI had the better products Nvidia was still calling the shots. And well Intel also was calling the shots during the time AMD had the much much much beter products.

So I will rephrase it for you. When you have the money and power you call the shots even when you have shit products. Nothing new about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how this reflects badly on Nvidia? PS4 has been hacked as well. And the Nvidia shield uses the Tegra SoC at a higher clock speed and doesn't have any issues, if it's overheating that's Nintendo's fault.

Nobody has an accurate reasoning for how the Dreamcast died. I personally had one and pirated the crap out of those games, and Sega did try to stop it, though people found work arounds. The PS2 and GC were not so easily piratable. It's not like the Dreamcast didn't continue to sell well even after Sega stopped supporting it. So my theory is that the ease of piracy is why Sega killed it. The Switch is already bypassed and people are working on piracy. Not saying the Switch is going to die a horrible death like the Dreamcast, but the exploits that were found in the Switch to pirate was due to Nvidia's hardware.

Also I wouldn't call the Switch very portable. Disconnecting it puts it in limp mode, and lasts for a few hours at best.
    Shit on it all you want it is still a great system lol. I understand what you are saying though, but most people I know won't pirate because you won't be able to play games online without the threat of being banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a Live Stream with Kyle Bennett and PCWorld on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    How is Nvidia any different? My graphics card that I bought nearly 2 years ago costs almost double the price today, new. All thanks to crypto mining.
    Well, that's the thing you and the person you're quoting aren't understanding about the problem. Nvidia and AMD are not setting these prices...the retailers are. I went to Microcenter to buy all my new PC parts outside of GPU(had a 1080 already and got it before this mining bs craze happened) and there were four or five cards visible...when I got my 1080 from there they easily had 10 1080s never mind anything lower at the time. Demand is high, so they(retailers) increased the prices....not Nvidia/AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Well, that's the thing you and the person you're quoting aren't understanding about the problem. Nvidia and AMD are not setting these prices...the retailers are. I went to Microcenter to buy all my new PC parts outside of GPU(had a 1080 already and got it before this mining bs craze happened) and there were four or five cards visible...when I got my 1080 from there they easily had 10 1080s never mind anything lower at the time. Demand is high, so they(retailers) increased the prices....not Nvidia/AMD.
    My point was that Nvidia cards are just as desired for Crypto mining (especially 1070's for power efficiency) as AMD cards. But yes you're right.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    AdoredTV is now giving his take on this. Also Kyle seems to be saying what I'm saying, in that this GPP program might be more to keep Intel out of their market and not so much AMD. Specifically Kaby Lake-G is scaring Nvidia.

I guess we now have confirmation.. Gigabyte has removed Auros branding from AMD cards and Newegg shows Asus RX 580s without the RoG brand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I guess we now have confirmation.. Gigabyte has removed Auros branding from AMD cards and Newegg shows Asus RX 580s without the RoG brand.
    Where are you getting the info for Gigabyte? I can still see some AMD Aorus cards on their website. The ASUS cards on Newegg are not RoG cards as they are not the high end cooler version. You can find Strix/RoG cards on Amazon or on the ASUS website.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Where are you getting the info for Gigabyte? I can still see some AMD Aorus cards on their website. The ASUS cards on Newegg are not RoG cards as they are not the high end cooler version. You can find Strix/RoG cards on Amazon or on the ASUS website.
    I think it comes from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...ng-box.242482/

If you go to Gigabyte and search for gaming box then you don't get an Auros AMD box, just a generic one.

Also, for ASUS, if you look at the images from the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-STRI...071D8YQJD?th=1

The title still says ROG but the images are now of a generic box.
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2018-03-20 at 07:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I think it comes from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...ng-box.242482/

If you go to Gigabyte and search for gaming box then you don't get an Auros AMD box, just a generic one.

Also, for ASUS, if you look at the images from the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-STRI...071D8YQJD?th=1

The title still says ROG but the images are now of a generic box.
    Well the RX580 Strix is still on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Radeon-S...OG-STRIX-RX580