Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    That's not a good metric to go by. Just look at Line of Defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are screenshots from in game "amusing"? I don't get it.
    I wasnt talking about screenshots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I wasnt talking about screenshots.
    He was.

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Lol right, by that logic No Man's Sky was the most amazing game ever created. The only people I see use this are folks in denial. This game looked cool years ago, most of us have realized nothing's ever going to happen with it. I guess if you like pictures of rendered ships you're doing okay.
    ahhh, someone is not in tune with pop culture or slang i see, pity. also your analogy is incorrect as NMS got hate after release not before, the fact that such a point even has to be made... /sigh. and how is Star Citizen not popular? what metric are you using to qualify your assertion; number of accounts, funds raised, media presence, what? you guys really need to stop trying to psycho-analyse people for supporting something you don't like and acting like they are suffering from sunk-cost fallacy or cult like adoration because if anyone needs to be analysed it's the very people that make those assertions and proclaim to dislike something and those that support it, even though it does not hurt anybody and is completely voluntary, yet stick to boards that are explicitly there to discuss the game and follow it's every update, really though who is the sad one now?

ATV tomorrow is looking pretty sick, definitely looking forward to this one. check out the sneak peek.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video...6OMSJIuR2H.mp4
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    Watch the video then it is indeed funny. The whole development of the game is a satire. Even more if you are a developer.
    I should stop having morals and start a kickstarter and sell images of future content. Looks like the easiest job of the world for heavy cash.
    That's pretty much what every other developer that uses Kickstarter has done, dingbat. What else are they going to fucking market to their potential buyers?

As expected, the sunk cost fallacy in this thread is laid on thick. I sincerely hope you guys will eventually get your fancy space game.

I doubt it though.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    As expected, the sunk cost fallacy in this thread is laid on thick. I sincerely hope you guys will eventually get your fancy space game.

I doubt it though.

I'm less concerned on if I will get it, than you are on whether I will get it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I'm less concerned on if I will get it, than you are on whether I will get it or not.
    Considering the situation that's a great thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    so do people think that just saying sunk-cost fallacy somehow makes them insightful? like you know what people's motivations are because you use the phrase without context, unless you have spoken to a large enough sample size of the Star Citizen community and they have explicitly stated that they have fallen prey to this condition? what of the condition of people who incessantly hang around subs of things they state to dislike only to ridicule and pass judgement on those who think differently? i pity you and the hubriss on display thinking you know better than people you don't even know and presume to be the one people should listen to for how to spend their own money, smh. it's so sad but i find it funny; the irony.

the Reclaimer is looking sick af though.

This weeks AtV:

Just the visual video (Dopamine):

Last edited by Odeezee; 2018-03-16 at 11:47 AM.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    so do people think that just saying sunk-cost fallacy somehow makes them insightful? like you know what people's motivations are because you use the phrase without context, unless you have spoken to a large enough sample size of the Star Citizen community and they have explicitly stated that they have fallen prey to this condition? what of the condition of people who incessantly hang around subs of things they state to dislike only to ridicule and pass judgement on those who think differently? i pity you and the hubriss on display thinking you know better than people you don't even know and presume to be the one people should listen to for how to spend their own money, smh. it's so sad but i find it funny; the irony.
    You are free to spend your money however you like, but if you think that throwing more money at the SC website will eventually put a product in your hands, then yeah, it's just sunk cost fallacy. Can't stop throwing money now, look at all the pretty pictures they have been able to make, even a video or two! While the development progress is all but nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    unless you have spoken to a large enough sample size of the Star Citizen community and they have explicitly stated that they have fallen prey to this condition?
    People who're trapped in the sunk cost fallacy generally don't know they are and if they do, they don't admit it. The symptoms are pretty damn obvious though: funneling money into something based on costs incurred rather than on tangible results.

The ironic thing is that you might even get an actual game if all these ignorant sods would stop throwing money at jpegs and youtube videos, which makes stagnating actual development so lucrative.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-03-19 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    People who're trapped in the sunk cost fallacy generally don't know they are and if they do, they don't admit it. The symptoms are pretty damn obvious though: funneling money into something based on costs incurred rather than on tangible results.

The ironic thing is that you might even get an actual game if all these ignorant sods would stop throwing money at jpegs and youtube videos, which makes stagnating actual development so lucrative.
    There's nothing stagnating about Star Citizen's development Mr know nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    You are free to spend your money however you like, but if you think that throwing more money at the SC website will eventually put a product in your hands, then yeah, it's just sunk cost fallacy. Can't stop throwing money now, look at all the pretty pictures they have been able to make, even a video or two! While the development progress is all but nil.
    Why do you assume that everyone who backs Star Citizen is a whale?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    The only thing I support in SC these days is the Hawking tribute. That's about the level of technical complexity CIG can be expected to pull off outside of making ships.
    Are you still at it you silly ol'bugger? lol

Quote Originally Posted by CogsNCocks View Post

Why do you assume that everyone who backs Star Citizen is a whale?
    Honestly, the actual amount doesn't really matter. It's fine if you bought in on the idea at the start and then maybe once more couple of years later to contribute a little bit by getting a small vanity item. But if you keep pumping your money into it time and time again when they come with their hand open, you have to question the psychology behind that.

Honestly, the actual amount doesn't really matter. It's fine if you bought in on the idea at the start and then maybe once more couple of years later to contribute a little bit by getting a small vanity item. But if you keep pumping your money into it time and time again when they come with their hand open, you have to question the psychology behind that.
    A lot of CIG's drive has been towards their bigger spenders, they know these people are enthuiastic or weak or whatever you want to call them and it appears CIG want to milk them for all they are worth. Private group dinners for $350 a head, shiny skins and items for $20,000+ spenders, top hat and monocle for the $1000 guys and so on.

There seems far less focus on getting new players into the game/demo as there hasn't been a free-fly week since mid of last year, everything is aimed at the "big boys" which, in my opinion, is a bit concerning because if you target the whales you're going to start designing around the whales rather than the common pre-order guy. And those with $1000, $2000, $5000 or more dropped on the game are going to feel far more entitled than someone paying $60.

so a few questions after watching the Reclaimer video,

I would like to hear mainly from the SC players as a whole and those tried but did not get hooked. With the multiplayer craft like the reclaimer, do you guys actually have full person crews? Or are you allowed to get AI crew to fill in the gaps?

For those who do have full player crews, how do you guys work a schedule for the game? The multiplayer ships seem like it would be rather hard to coordinate a group of players on a regular basis. That Reclaimer sounds like a good ship for someone like me who just wants to travel collect stuff and sell it one day, then hop in my fighter and pirate down some ships on another day.

Can these ships be used with AI or are they straight player use only? If straight use only, are there like Group missions that you guys do or just hit space and have at it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    A lot of CIG's drive has been towards their bigger spenders, they know these people are enthuiastic or weak or whatever you want to call them and it appears CIG want to milk them for all they are worth. Private group dinners for $350 a head, shiny skins and items for $20,000+ spenders, top hat and monocle for the $1000 guys and so on.

There seems far less focus on getting new players into the game/demo as there hasn't been a free-fly week since mid of last year, everything is aimed at the "big boys" which, in my opinion, is a bit concerning because if you target the whales you're going to start designing around the whales rather than the common pre-order guy. And those with $1000, $2000, $5000 or more dropped on the game are going to feel far more entitled than someone paying $60.
    I think you will find that these big spenders are a minority of the backers, have a ton of disposable income, and are just really into the game and want to see it made. I've seen twitch streamers get paid $1000 for telling a funny joke or getting winner winner chicken dinner in PUBG for goodness sake. Some people just have a lot of money. You don't need to concern yourself with the big spenders, they aren't victims and they don't require neither your sympathies or criticism.

- - - Updated - - -

You assume too much about what's motivating people to support the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    so a few questions after watching the Reclaimer video,

I would like to hear mainly from the SC players as a whole and those tried but did not get hooked. With the multiplayer craft like the reclaimer, do you guys actually have full person crews? Or are you allowed to get AI crew to fill in the gaps?

For those who do have full player crews, how do you guys work a schedule for the game? The multiplayer ships seem like it would be rather hard to coordinate a group of players on a regular basis. That Reclaimer sounds like a good ship for someone like me who just wants to travel collect stuff and sell it one day, then hop in my fighter and pirate down some ships on another day.

Can these ships be used with AI or are they straight player use only? If straight use only, are there like Group missions that you guys do or just hit space and have at it?
    Yes there will be AI crews.

Sunk cost fallacy...

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Sunk cost fallacy...
    Come back once you understand what that actually means.

You assume too much about what's motivating people to support the game.
    I assume one thing and one thing only; they want to see the game finished and released. What I'm questioning is the legitimacy of the claim that spending more money is driving anyone closer to that goal - CIG seems very comfortable just creating cheap 3D art (in comparison) for mostly promotional videos and asking abhorent sums of money for ... nothing of concrete value.

I'm exaggerating for the sake of the point, of course. I don't think they are throttling development to milk more money on purpose. But they aren't exactly trying hard either, 3.0 specifically proved that point.

I think you will find that these big spenders are a minority of the backers, have a ton of disposable income, and are just really into the game and want to see it made. You don't need to concern yourself with the big spenders, they aren't victims and they don't require neither your sympathies or criticism.
    Of course they're a minority but that doesn't stop them accounting for the majority of the funding and that is bound to influence CIG's decisions, it's evident from the price range of ships that currently exist.

I don't care if the whales don't want my criticism, it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to speak it.

Of course they're a minority but that doesn't stop them accounting for the majority of the funding and that is bound to influence CIG's decisions, it's evident from the price range of ships that currently exist.

I don't care if the whales don't want my criticism, it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to speak it.
    There are almost two million backers, and 180 million in funds raised. The price of admission is $45. Even if 1% of backers constituted the "whales" who threw in more money than was required to get in the door, you still have at least ninety million US dollars,
    half of the entire development budget
    , funded by people who laid down a little bit of cash on the project. The whales don't even come close to being the "majority" you claim them to be.