Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    We always need herbalists enchanters alchemists

Some professions will always have demand

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    ... And what am I to do with your anecdotal evidence?
    The economy is alive and well, the release of BfA will see it boom once more. Right now we're in the final stretch, and the AH is still filled up. I'm sorry for your sake if you play on a dead server, but on alive servers the economy is fueled by professions + players wanting things from professions, among other things, and will continue to be so.

And as for Leatherworkers, I've made millions in no small part thanks to selling anti-daze saddles. Others have made lots of money through BOE legendaries as well as selling the lower BOEs (which they upped ILVL for) to players with alts. I've also utilized Leatherworker world quests for materials.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against people being ignorant to the potential of professions and thus creating less competition, but this thread's core message is just plain wrongful. Professions matter as much now as they did to X groups, and as little as they ever did to Y groups of players.

No, most professions won't be "essentially useless". They'll simply be useless, to players whom can't utilize them. As was always the case.

https://thelazygoldmaker.com/legion-...battle-azeroth
    While people will continue to make gold off the professions as long as they are in the game, the problem is that professions was seen by many as not worth the time spent since they invested a short time and found only more grind with no interesting narrative or immersion. Professions need more immersion and nothing has really been done for years to improve that experience, right now we get either the overhead hammer motion for blacksmithing and engineering or the hands washing motion which is supposed to signify several professions...this is boring and lazy. This is only the tip of the iceberg of laziness and uncreative thinking that has taken over at Blizzard and this is why First aid is being eliminated as a secondary profession. Blizzard doesn't have a clue what to do beyond make another cash grab like the auctioneer mount to make the next quarterly report look better. The professions were made to be another RNG time sink in Legion but a lot of people just decided that it wasn't worth it because past expansions had very little enjoyment derived from maxing them out but they were easy to max out.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Blizzard doesn't have a clue what to do beyond make another cash grab like the auctioneer mount to make the next quarterly report look better.
    ... Uhm, OK? I don't entertain conspiracy theories. Nor do I know a single person that can afford the mount day one, who got their gold through buying tokens.

The thing that was done "in years" to try and give more depth to professions, happened during Legion. Questlines, ranks, crafting to advance and input reflecting what you could put out etc.

The playerbase didn't bite, people who run many characters with maxed professions felt it was busywork rather than fun.

The word "immersion" is meaningless, it's entirely subjective. Saying "they should make it more immersive!!" as if that holds water, is a cop out argument. Professions will remain as they always have been before Legion, and some will be able to utilize them whilst others will sit around thinking they're "useless".
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-06-10 at 11:14 PM.

I was mining/BS for Legion. I think im going to go mining/herb for BfA and just sell everything.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    The number of enchants/gem etc in Legion are at a pathetic level.

What are there - 2 enchants? You're lucky to get a gem slot too.

Inscription? Glyphs are useless. You're basically left with respec tomes and Darkmoon Cards that become useless after the 2nd patch.

Any of the armor/weapon making professions are also dead too because they refuse to make crafting relevant for the whole expansion. You also can't choose what stats come on the items. Totally RNG.

BfA professions are even more neutered. The quest lines are gone and they're back to minimal effort boring as fuck systems.

No revamp was done at all.
    4 enchants for raiding, rings, neck, back. We're getting Weapon enchants back in BfA, so that's something.

And on Inscription, I don't know anyone who didn't use vantus runes once a week during progression, if anything it was LW/Tailoring/Blacksmith that got left behind.

1000 versatility? Didn't even notice it. I did Inscription in Legion on my main. It being locked to 1 boss is soooo bad.

It's good we're getting weapon drops and therefore weapon enchants back but....

Professions are a bit of a joke at this point.
    They're a bit eh for sure, unless you like making money, but i really don't care about that.

Professions are just a way to make money through the auction house. Things like crafting gear is just a fucking waste of time unless you're selling it to someone who doesn't know any better, you can get so much better gear just from regular sources with so much less time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    4 enchants for raiding, rings, neck, back. We're getting Weapon enchants back in BfA, so that's something.

And on Inscription, I don't know anyone who didn't use vantus runes once a week during progression, if anything it was LW/Tailoring/Blacksmith that got left behind.
    So like I said, Professions are just as useful as they always were and will continue to be. Some people are just so desperate to be angry about this game that they'll fault a system for simply being what it has always been. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them also went off the handle over Legion's profession system.

Fewer, less readily available items to sell =/= fewer reasons to sell them and fewer customers wanting them. BfA also changes up gathering a bit for herbalists. Zones no longer determine what grows, habitat does. I've found it refreshing to hunt for herbs on the sides of buildings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    Professions are just a way to make money through the auction house. Things like crafting gear is just a fucking waste of time unless you're selling it to someone who doesn't know any better, you can get so much better gear just from regular sources with so much less time and effort.
    ... Legion BOE legendaries + the upgradeable crafted gear, says hello.
    It went out of style eventually, of course, but remained relevant and still remains relevant. Being self-sufficient with the help of professions never goes out of style though. Not to mention that all crafted gear eventually becomes an income for transmog purposes.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-06-10 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    The market is driven by the playerbase as a whole. You're factually wrong when you make retarded statements about professions being irrelevant, nobody bothering with them etc etc.

I am an opponent of blatant stupidity, which is the only reason that I've allowed myself to fall for your bait. I refuse to believe that anyone can be so oblivious for real, but it's tough sticking with that principle when seeing your statements.

Are professions worth it? Yes, the in-game economy says so.
    Are people bothering with them? Yes, the in-game economy says so.

There, no amount of mental gymnastics or attempts to rationalize things away on your part changes these facts. /The End
    While this is all true, I think everyone can agree that professions AND the AH need a complete revamp. This band-aid blizzard did is really "meh"

- - - Updated - - -

1000 versatility? Didn't even notice it. I did Inscription in Legion on my main. It being locked to 1 boss is soooo bad.

It's good we're getting weapon drops and therefore weapon enchants back but....

Professions are a bit of a joke at this point.
    They destroyed JC with this random sockets.... it was my favorite prof

Professions are worth it, well maybe not so much the investment in legion - seriously it was a pita - but long story short you save a ton of gold just getting the shit done.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends on what one means by 'worth it'. Personally, my druid main has herb/alch and if I'm out in the world doing something and see herbs I'll pick them because it's basically found mats. I didn't bother leveling alch all the way, though so I ended up selling the herbs and buying what I needed. BUT... I don't raid, so flasks weren't a priority.

I know people who have stables of alts with various professions so that they are completely self-sufficient. Others I know use gold to buy things and don't bother with professions at all. Some people were like me - we used to max out profs because they were easy but didn't bother in Legion because the barriers made it not worth it to us.

So, it all depends. Me, I think profs aren't worth it as a gold making activity and unless they're pretty easy to max, I'll just use whatever gathering prof I have to grab some easy extra gold. But that's me and my definition of 'worth it'.

I think professions like Enchanting, Alchemy, Jewelcrafting and Engineering are fine, but BS, LW and Tailoring are a problem. Crafting armor/weapons has been obsolete for a while. Yes, there are epic recipes that craft Normal-level gear but it's usually one or two items and it immediately becomes obsolete and then the profession has nothing else to offer until a new addition that will also last for a few days and then be obsolete.

For making gold they are more than useful, that I recognize. It's just that they aren't exactly fun. I am not quite sure what's the difference between crafting in WoW and in Diablo 3, but I thoroughly enjoyed the latter! Yeah I think the fun part is being able to craft items for yourself and for your friends while progressing your characters. I remember leveling Blacksmithing on my human paladin while also leveling him 1-80. Having to go specifically to Un'goro and Silithus in search of Thorium (I might be mistaking the name) Ore so I could craft myself a new blue chest or weapon. Nowadays leveling is so fast and we ditch old items for dungeon blues and LFR epics so fast that we never get to experience that excitement from crafting our own item with our own mats that we went to the other side of the world to obtain.

5+ Year Old Account
    They haven't made crafted armor or weapons desirable since BC. Another victim of RNG for the sake of balance. Blizzard chooses sterility over chaotic fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    They haven't made crafted armor or weapons desirable since BC. Another victim of RNG for the sake of balance. Blizzard chooses sterility over chaotic fun.
    The last time they did this, was in Legion. And old crafted armor is desired for transmog.

Sorry, hyperbole doesn't erase fact.

Quote Originally Posted by nastje View Post
    Let's be honest, nobody cares about professions anymore
    Lol. I like how often "let's be honest" is used right before a personal opinion.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Kind of wish LW/Tailoring/BS were more desired for current content when it comes to actually wearing the gear. Suppose the case could be made that you could use the gear for leveling, but it gets phased out pretty quickly (especially when Blizz starts adding gear tokens, even the gear you can upgrade becomes worthless). As a LWer, I wish I could make a piece of gear for myself that I can constantly upgrade throughout an expansion that will always be relevant, because I stop caring about the gear I can craft for myself pretty quickly as it becomes crap quickly. After a certain point, all I do is craft gear to disenchant. While I have many desires for what LWing could be, I wish it could be more relevant by itself on the level of enchanting and alchemy for an entire expansion. I keep LWing on my main because I've had it since vanilla, but my alchemy/enchanting/JC alts make insanely more money than I ever could as LWing with minimal effort.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

7+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between usefulness for profit and usefulness for performance. Not having a flask or a 200 haste gem won't change your performance dramatically, especially not amongst the main crowd of players that don't do mythic. Sure there's loads of stuff on the AH, but there always was, however it's absolutely NOT necessary to have any of them at all to progress (bar mythic as mentioned), which wasn't the case back in the day.
    I found the lfr player "Gems, enchants, flasks, potions, and food dont help you that much"
    also i dont think you have played proefssions like engineering who have alot of benefits for having em.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The point isn't being in a shit raiding team or a good one. What I'm trying to say is that enchanting (forgotten totally, let's be honest) for example made a big difference to your character and having that one extra gem did too. Nowadays it simply doesn't. If you're fully gemmed that's cool good on you, but it doesn't make an impact on your character at all unless you're in a semi-hardcore raiding guild. At one point everyone, casuals, pvp players etcetera, all wanted a noticeable edge and were more interested in professions because it gave them that. Nowadays it improves nearly nothing. Nobody announces their proffs on trade anymore because people don't care.
    The more you post, the more you sound like you don't have a clue about the topic that you initially started. You're 3 posts in (as of the post that I'm responding to) and you seem completely clueless. People like yourself make me question where they breed you all at, because I don't understand how you're this dense
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Thanks to "professions" I've made tens of millions of gold. I find that pretty useful.

I don't know the state of professions in *this* regard, but professions became worthless to me when they made it to where you had to be max level, to get recipes, BOP raw mats, etc.