Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post

Why not? You're happy they named a street after a president sympathetic to Muslim extremism that gave millions of dollars to foreign states that fund terrorists. Why would you be against honoring Bin Laden? After all, didn't your Leftist narratives blame Reagan for his actions anyhow?
    stop besmirching your god emperor Donny.

7+ Year Old Account
    its still history. needs to be remembered. that which becomes forgotten is doomed to be repeated.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Konteil View Post
    its still history. needs to be remembered. that which becomes forgotten is doomed to be repeated.
    the school name change..... it..... its CHANGING THE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    See, now this is actually accurate. Ultimately it stemmed from the South (ironically) feeling their rights and freedom were being taken advantage of.
    Their rights and freedom to what.

They felt the United States didn't understand or sympathize with their economy or problems. And frankly, they were right. At the same time, slavery was abhorrent and needed to be abolished. Each side had something different that was important to them, and there wasn't really an easy way to find a middle ground. Or any way at all.
    There is no "both sides" argument when it comes to slavery. At all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Honoring their leaders is far different from honoring history, I wish people would get that.
    The time stream is changing Boomzy! we need to go back in time! we need to prevent flash point!

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Derp de derp, because I only know how to focus on my narrative and not look at the larger scope. Because, muh, slabery and it makes Leftist/SJW whinning morally important.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not? You're happy they named a street after a president sympathetic to Muslim extremism that gave millions of dollars to foreign states that fund terrorists. Why would you be against honoring Bin Laden? After all, didn't your Leftist narratives blame Reagan for his actions anyhow?
    Fantastic argument. I've still yet to see anyone present reasons for the war that didn't deal with slavery.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    It's your kids, marty! Somethings gotta be done about your kids!
    we need to make sure barrys mom dies!

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5aRcwHULaI

Here's J.E.B. Stuart.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You're being absurd. The whole point of fighting the war was to keep the union together, not to defeat a terrorist faction and wipe out our opposition. To say that a huge section of the country, a huge amount of them drafted, were not our countrymen and not deserving of honor after their death is disgraceful. They weren't terrorists, they were our brothers and sisters, which is why the civil war was so fucked in the first place.
    Yes. A war that occurred to keep the Union together because one side really wanted to keep slaves. This kind of reasoning is so circular and bizarre. Why did we have to fight a war to do it? Why did we have to kill to do it? Because we had to wipe out the people that opposed rejoining the union, or reduce them until they gave in. Literally the same reason we fight anyone.

Honoring history is fine. History doesn't disappear when figures who were on the wrong side of it aren't on pedestals or the names of buildings. Turns out we have books! And wikipedias! And people with PhDs who teach it all day, every day, all across the country!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're replying to the wrong person buddy, I'm not a pro-confederate statue lover. Pick another card.
    The KKK was founded as a Confederate revanchist movement.

The leader of the KKK is called the Grand Dragon.

Dragonite is a Dragon.

Illuminati confirmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

GOT EM.

/10char
    Were you chasing a Pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Fantastic argument. I've still yet to see anyone present reasons for the war that didn't deal with slavery.
    Slavery was the driving factor behind the war. The abolitionist movement was growing in much of the country, and sentiment was beginning to turn against slavery in general. That's why it was a fight every time a new state was brought into the union. Any new state could upset the balance and move to abolish. The South felt that their way of life and economic livelihood was under attack, yes, but both of those things 100% revolved around slavery. They rebelled to protect their right to own slaves.

I guess my point was, it's not possible to discuss the causes of the Civil War without mostly dealing with slavery.
    Last edited by buck008; 2018-06-19 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    All for the name change. More concerned about why you have schools that are 95% African American. I thought segregation was over?
    Because it's almost like there are communities that are mostly made up of african americans? When you have a racially diverse country there are going to be places that are 95% white, or 95% black. Schools are a product of those communities.

You're being absurd. The whole point of fighting the war was to keep the union together, not to defeat a terrorist faction and wipe out our opposition. To say that a huge section of the country, a huge amount of them drafted, were not our countrymen and not deserving of honor after their death is disgraceful. They weren't terrorists, they were our brothers and sisters, which is why the civil war was so fucked in the first place.

Yes there are complicated individual stories. Robert E Lee was, by all accounts, a good man and a legendary West Point graduate. He still decided that his home state was more important than the country he swore an oath to protect. Their stories should be told. The statues and uniforms belong in museums. We need to remember what happened. Ultimately, these people were traitors to the United States. No, they do not deserve honor. They fought against and killed our countrymen. It was a bad time, and maybe there was no good answer for a lot of these people. But we can respect their memory without giving them a place of honor.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's good something is named after Obama, since Trump is cleaning every part of government influence that had Obama's influence.

He can enjoy having a street corner or school named after him.

That is all that will remain of his legacy.

Wait...what did Obama ever do for African American communities besides promote discord and racial tensions?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    It's good something is named after Obama, since Trump is cleaning every part of government influence that had Obama's influence.

He can enjoy having a street corner or school named after him.

That is all that will remain of his legacy.
    Despots often do feel the need to scrub the history books of their predecessors. Don't want to remind folks of the good old days. In his particular case, I'm sure it has a lot to do with his massive insecurity and his need to tell everyone that he is the best at everything. He has to be careful though, if he gets rid of too much of Obama, he won't have anyone to blame for his mistakes any more.

Honoring their leaders is far different from honoring history, I wish people would get that.
    So shall we honor hitler with a statue

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to pull the "they weren't terrorists, technically" card, then you're going to push the conversation here to where we point out that the Confederacy was significantly worse than mere terrorists. They had access to far more weaponry and social support for their cause.

You're right that they weren't the equivalent of Al-Qaeda.

But it's because they were the equivalent of ISIS.

That your brothers and sisters were that willing to stoop to treason and murder in defense of evils like slavery should horrify Americans. You shouldn't feel a drive to honor Confederates because of that close relationship. You should feel outraged and offended by them. The same way you would if you found out your actual brother liked to carve pieces off prostitutes he'd kidnapped and chained up in his basement.

When you discover there's a monster in your family, that doesn't mean you need to accept and honor the monster.

That they were so close to other Americans is what makes their conduct and beliefs shocking, and it's what should drive self-reflection out of fear that the rot was laid too deep in your national culture. Horror that such vicious evil lay that close to your own heart. And that should be felt deepest by Americans.

I know you're not pro-confederate, I'm just attacking the whole "they were our family, our neighbours" stance, because to my mind, it should make you more upset and intolerant towards the Confederacy, not less.
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-06-19 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you're going to pull the "they weren't terrorists, technically" card, then you're going to push the conversation here to where we point out that the Confederacy was significantly worse than mere terrorists. They had access to far more weaponry and social support for their cause.

You're right that they weren't the equivalent of Al-Qaeda.

But it's because they were the equivalent of ISIS.

That your brothers and sisters were that willing to stoop to treason and murder in defense of evils like slavery should horrify Americans. You shouldn't feel a drive to honor Confederates because of that close relationship. You should feel outraged and offended by them. The same way you would if you found out your actual brother liked to carve pieces off prostitutes he'd kidnapped and chained up in his basement.

When you discover there's a monster in your family, that doesn't mean you need to accept and honor the monster.

That they were so close to other Americans is what makes their conduct and beliefs shocking, and it's what should drive self-reflection out of fear that the rot was laid too deep in your national culture. Horror that such vicious evil lay that close to your own heart. And that should be felt deepest by Americans.
    Part of the problem is that in the early 1900's we started getting this slight, yet constant push by certain groups to paint the confederacy as something they are not. A statue here for a general, a word there about how it was brother fighting brother to make both sides look equal and eventually you have now. Now where people defend the confederacy as some great thing all about states rights and that anything to the contrary is rewriting history: ignoring that those saying that it was a states rights issue are themselves rewriting history.

It doesnt matter that the reasons and what happened during the civil war are ENTIRELY on record and unquestionable. People will sit and question it because it's become a cultural identity. The old saying of "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" applies directly to pro-confederates. They have forgotten their history.

They dont want to question it. Some of them cant. To question it to them is like questioning that the sky is blue. Its a heavy shame on them if this thing that they've rolled up into who they are is an evil, reprehensible thing. They've been taught that since they were a kid. Their parents were taught that since they were children, and so on. Its so damned ingrained that anything to the contrary has to be seen as lies, otherwise their cultural foundation crumbles as does what little pride they have in themselves. Its no surprise that most confederates are very poor, very unintelligent people: pride in their past is ALL THEY HAVE.

Of course it doesn't help that the North likes to act like they're all high and mighty better than everyone. Like they have no history of racism and that everyone else is racist. The north is racist as fuck but they dont see it that way because they can point at the south and go "MORE RACIST! STUPID REDNECKS!"
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg