Poll: What do you think about addons in classic?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

New addons in classic?

I'm starting to worry that addons will ruin some of the classic experience... maybe not at launch, but later when new addons are developed, such as weakauras or a better DBM addon. This sounds a bit purist, but I really hope they find a way to limit addons so we don't get any "unfair" advantages. Imho vanilla is best played without all those complex timers and indicators. Also there has been group finder addons for vanilla pservers already and I seriously don't want them to become the norm.

So I wanted to ask, what do you guys think?

EDIT : I have no problem with normal addons like actionbars etc etc. Just the new stuff I'm worried about.
    Last edited by RadiationWoW; 2018-07-11 at 04:03 AM.

and 12 years worth of knowledge of fights and quests isnt going to skew things? addons are a thing in wow. deal with it

You do realise addons existed back in Vanilla right? One of the most overpowered addons existed only in vanilla in which forget the name (Decursive?) but it was literally 1 button press to dispel anyone in your raid with a debuff (dispell/decurse/cleanse had no CD) and you could spam click it to remove debuffs from your entire raid. So your "ruined" experience already had overpowered addons.

Also there was already timers... I somehow remember timers when fighting Ragnaros and knowing when he would submerge/re-emerge so ... (could be wrong on this, long time ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    and 12 years worth of knowledge of fights and quests isnt going to skew things? addons are a thing in wow. deal with it
    Personal knowledge about the fight isn't a same thing as an addon telling you exactly when to dispell someone or when to move somewhere. Naxx has lots of tacs that could be way easier with a proper timer addon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raone View Post
    You do realise addons existed back in Vanilla right? One of the most overpowered addons existed only in vanilla in which forget the name (Decursive?) but it was literally 1 button press to dispel anyone in your raid with a debuff (dispell/decurse/cleanse had no CD) and you could spam click it to remove debuffs from your entire raid. So your "ruined" experience already had overpowered addons.

Also there was already timers... I somehow remember timers when fighting Ragnaros and knowing when he would submerge/re-emerge so ... (could be wrong on this, long time ago)
    I know there were addons, but I mean addons like weakwauras which is really flexible to do almost anything. Also I've seen group finder addons being developed for vanilla(pservers).

Good. Lazypig.

Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post
    Good. Lazypig.
    Yeah I could've been more specific in the thread, but yeah I have no problem with addons like Lazy pig. Just the new addons that could be developed later in classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing you can do. As far as I'm aware, there are already addons that didn't exist in vanilla. If I remember correctly, there are addons group finder... And hey, if you dont like them, dont download them. Its not that hard...

Quote Originally Posted by RadiationWoW View Post
    I'm starting to worry that addons will ruin some of the classic experience... maybe not at launch, but later when new addons are developed, such as weakauras or a better DBM addon. This sounds a bit purist, but I really hope they find a way to limit addons so we don't get any "unfair" advantages. Imho vanilla is best played without all those complex timers and indicators. Also there has been group finder addons for vanilla pservers already and I seriously don't want them to become the norm.

So I wanted to ask, what do you guys think?

EDIT : I have no problem with normal addons like actionbars etc etc. Just the new stuff I'm worried about.
    Guess what addon's like DBM existed in Vanilla. They were just kept inhouse by many top guilds. And the group finder addon came from Vanilla as well.

Since they're using the modern client for Classic that means that it's very likely that we'll get the modern addon API too. This means that shady addons like decursive or HealBot won't work, you'll be limited to what addons can do on live which is very little compared to vanilla.

But let me guess, you don't want people to be creative and create new addons? That goes against the entire spirit of vanilla, or heck even private servers. Addons like LunaUnitFrames didn't exist in vanilla, it's entirely new.

Then don't use them. WTF.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    I will have to also agree addons are and always will be a part of the system..
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Then don't use them. WTF.
    It's not about me using them. I personally don't want classic to have these modern WA or groupfinder addons, because they might become a "must have" thing to have which could affect the gameplay a lot.

How will affect your game play the fact that people won't be forced to ask for a tank for 2 hours while doing nothing?

You know that if they don't allow addons for this shit it can simply be made using an external site, right? Have you played GW2?

You can't really stop people from choosing the easiest path, even though you might have masochistic tendencies...

It's not about me using them. I personally don't want classic to have these modern WA or groupfinder addons, because they might become a "must have" thing to have which could affect the gameplay a lot.
    It depends on what kind of player you are. It will affect you only if you care about doing end game content efficiently. But in that case having certain addons was mandatory even back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    How will affect your game play the fact that people won't be forced to ask for a tank for 2 hours while doing nothing?

You know that if they don't allow addons for this shit it can simply be made using an external site, right? Have you played GW2?

You can't really stop people from choosing the easiest path, even though you might have masochistic tendencies...
    Of course it will affect my gameplay. Think about it. Normally you see groups in chat looking for people and if you see a group you're interested in you send that grp a whisper to ask if you can join, that's already 1 interaction with an another player which in my opinion further helps with additional communication in the dungeon because you already had to say something even if it was very little.

Now if you join with an addon which just looks up chat messages (this actually exists) and tells you what dungeon they're about to do and what they need and all you need to do is to click a button which will then send the grp leader a whisper and voila! All done.

Ofc it's impossible for me to know if these addons would ever ruin the dungeon/raid communication, but I still fear for the worst. This basically happened on retail after LFD.
    Last edited by RadiationWoW; 2018-07-11 at 07:27 AM.

Deleted
    I like addons, but it would be fun to see what happend, if they made a server without them. I wonder how hard raids would get.

My opinion: Addons for changing the UI are good. Addons that make the game easier are generally bad.

Afaik DBM was as functional in 1.12 as it is now, remember doing Thaddeus and just following the DBM notifications of moving right or left depending on what buff and wondering how people could still mess it up.

Addons are great especially when it comes to the UI changes. The one I got to personalize my UI was my first one. Made it clearer for me to play (the base UI is great but I wanted something taking much less spaces).
    However, when it comes to bring QoL changes, like decursive back then, I think they are terrible. Addons are made to make things more convenient for you, not playing for you.

I know there were addons, but I mean addons like weakwauras which is really flexible to do almost anything. Also I've seen group finder addons being developed for vanilla(pservers).
    The thing with Decursive is not only did it cleanse whoever was afflicted with a debuff, it let you know when there was someone you could cleanse. So on my Priest, it told me when someone had a magic or disease debuff, but ignored it when it was a curse or poison. And yeah, standing around for an entire boss fight spamming one button was boring as hell, but that was the game we played. In a year running MC, I don't know that I ever once actually healed anyone. It was all about decursing.

Edit:
    Oi!!! Yeah, I never healed - on Lucifron. Of course I healed during the rest of the raid.
    Last edited by wysimdnwyg; 2018-07-13 at 02:14 AM.