Darnold is also probably going against the 3s (I don't know either team's roster to know for sure). He should look good against them, especially when teams do no game planning for preseason. If he wasn't standing out then there would be a problem.

That being said, hopefully both him and Bridgewater look good in all 4 games. Some teams don't have a backup capable of running an offense so having 3 would be a really good situation for them if someone goes down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how little prep Darnold had with his stupid holdout any success is a positive, regardless of opposition.
    /s

He actually started in the middle of the 2nd quarter against the 2s, which I think is even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and you can just tell from the way he behaves in the pocket, the way he moves to keep options open and how he keeps his eyes downfield and tries to manipulate safeties and defenders by looking them off. Darnold is for real, regardless of exact opposition. Cause remember, he's also not playing with the starters on his own team, so any upside he has from being against the 2's and 3's is compensated in part by being surrounded by 2's and 3;s himself.

That said, I read on twitter today or yesterday that Baker Mayfield (who looked legit too) produced largely the same numbers as Kaizer did last year for the Browns in the pre-season opener. So, I won;t annoint Mayfield or Darnold the next superstars yet, but their games were promising.

IDK, I watched Mayfield's game today, he looks jittery in the pocket, feet are always moving. His technique is great and he passes beautifully, but I think Darnold has been better tonight than Mayfield was.

Darnold is looking off receivers, going through progressions, rolling out and hitting guys on the run, buying time. I honestly can't believe he's looking this good after holding out so long.

Edit: I guess the big "knock" on Darnold is that his YPC is like hovering around 5, so even though he's 13/18, he's still got less than 100 yards passing. But I dunno if that's the gameplan or him checking down "too much." He did miss one bomb pretty badly
    Last edited by eschatological; 2018-08-11 at 02:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Edit: I guess the big "knock" on Darnold is that his YPC is like hovering around 5, so even though he's 13/18, he's still got less than 100 yards passing. But I dunno if that's the gameplan or him checking down "too much." He did miss one bomb pretty badly
    Hopefully that makes him the next Alex Smith and not the next Peyton Manning then. Alex Smith in the division I can live with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kerryon Johnson is fun to watch. Is Detroit actually going to have a run game this year?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Hopefully that makes him the next Alex Smith and not the next Peyton Manning then. Alex Smith in the division I can live with.
    How'd Alex Smith do against the Patriots last season?

/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    How'd Alex Smith do against the Patriots last season?

That loss had almost nothing to do with Alex Smith and had everything to do with Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt. But, noted, with a decent cast around him Alex Smith can be bothersome.

Still better than having Peyton in the division.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a terrific showing from us in our first preseason game at all. But...preseason...

It's not your fault, you were playing against the God-Emperor QB of the United States, Sam "First of His Name" Darnold, as Reddit has dubbed him.

10+ Year Old Account
    that's why I love reddit. I love how the_darnold is actually a thing and the satirical format

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Not a terrific showing from us in our first preseason game at all. But...preseason...
    Steve Sarkessian will ruin the season.

I'm seeing too many parallels between Sark and Ken Zampese.

1. Offense good at gaining yards year one, sucks in red zone.
    2. bad pre-season showing.
    3. Atlanta will go first 1-2 games without scoring a TD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, done watching the Broncos walk into the buzzsaw that is a well oiled Vikings team, let's get some Cardinals and Josh Rosen action!

Marquette King is pretty good. 50 yard net average on 4 punts so far. His leg might fall off halfway through the year though.

Also, calling it now. Vance Joseph will be the 1st head coach fired this year.

Ha, that TD by Edmonds was great. Don't think I've ever seen one quite like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Also, calling it now. Vance Joseph will be the 1st head coach fired this year.
    I was trying to think of arguments that it would be someone else, but going through the list of likely hot-seat candidates, I can really only see TB coach Dirk Koetter be in a similar situation. The rest of the coaches seem to all have just been extended or hired or are above reproach.

So yeah, I wouldn't bet against it being Joseph.

The fear bunker I've built in anticipation of Josh Rosen being any good is immense. I hope he sucks just so I can look at my team and not say "what if" for the next 10+ years.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't know who you guys are watching for coverage, but I believe NFL Network just uses a crew based on the home team's local coverage. On the Bills game, we at least had Steve Tasker who has CBS experience as a color commentary, but this Arizona color guy is hilariously buffoonish.

AZ color guy sounds like Hulk Hogan. Actually Jesse Ventura. And here comes Rosen.
    Last edited by Saladbar; 2018-08-12 at 02:39 AM.

Did the Arizona color guy just make a Red Sea reference because Rosen is Jewish? Like, I don't even know.