Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I think you miss the point I was making.

There will be people who will participate. They'll put in the time and effort. But don't expect them to be happy.

Honestly, if Classic needs to bribe people into being there by putting in the possibility of obtaining rare items for their Live account, then Classic doesn't deserve to exist.
    Classic will not need to bribe anyone, The one who made this post is probably the same as you. Someone whom would only play it if they got something out of it. Aka playing it for the wrong reasons. And I can't for the love of me understand how you can translate that to "Classic doesnt deserve to exist". Your mindset doesnt diserve to exist, it should stay the hell out of classic.

I'm so damn tired of seeing these threads: What if vanilla had transmog, what if vanilla had flying mounts, what if vanilla had LFR.. GTFO OF OUR GAME.

The people who keep making these threads are the ones thats both: 1 - complaining that vanilla sucked, 2 - The reason why retail sucks. The same mindset of those people Blizzard listened to when Blizzard started to change their game. Catered to people who only could play 2 hours each week instead of those who actually put in time. And this has lead to the trash that is BFA and it will never get better.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Why wouldn't you be happy with your opportunity to get a long-desired mount that isn't available anymore? I don't get it.
    Let's just say I'd feel conflicted.

Of course I'd be "happy" about the opportunity to get the mount. But I would be doing something I don't like in order to get it. That's not a great experience and it's a silly philosophy upon which to design a game.

Yes, rewards do provide an incentive to play the game, but that doesn't mean it's ok if the experience of playing the game isn't enjoyable. The rewards should never be sole incentive, and if they are, that's a recipe for creating a toxic environment.

It doesn't needs to bribe anyone, but it will attract more people.
    Then don't bribe anyone because I don't think that the type of people that are attracted by bribery are going to the right kind of people.

Deleted
    It doesn't needs to bribe anyone, but it will attract more people. I don't know if classic actually needs more people, maybe it doesn't, maybe it'll turn out to be SO POPULAR that they'll need to draw away people from it (like it's going to happen, har har ahr)
    Attracting the wrong people, with the wrong mindset, for the wrong reasons. No one wants these players in the game, They will be selfish and not care a single shit about their reputation which plays a HUGE part in vanilla. They probably wouldn't even hesitate to ninja looting the thing because they're going to quit anyway. see thats a problem.

There shouldn't be any rewards outside of classic.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatsack View Post
    Classic will not need to bribe anyone, The one who made this post is probably the same as you. Someone whom would only play it if they got something out of it. Aka playing it for the wrong reasons. And I can't for the love of me understand how you can translate that to "Classic doesnt deserve to exist".
    You've very clearly misconstrued what I was actually saying:

Yes, absolutely, people playing it for the wrong reasons should not be there (hence why they shouldn't provide those reasons ie allowing items obtained in Classic to go to your main account on Live)

No, I did not translate that into "Classic doesn't deserve to exist". There is a conditional statement that you somehow missed. What I did say is that IF Classic needs these people to be in Classic, THEN Classic doesn't deserve to exist.

In other words, putting things in there as a carrot to attract the wrong crowd is a bad idea.

Your mindset doesnt diserve to exist, it should stay the hell out of classic.
    I am amazed at how you managed say both something utterly asinine and then so spot on in the same sentence.

(hint the first part is the asinine bit, the part after the comma is spot on)

I'm so damn tired of seeing these threads: What if vanilla had transmog, what if vanilla had flying mounts, what if vanilla had LFR.. GTFO OF OUR GAME.
    I couldn't agree more. And I don't even want to play Classic. It's nauseating tbh.

I dont expect it, but that's the only reason i'd ever play classic...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'd prefer it if Classic basically functions as if Retail/Current doesn't even exist.
    It will. Classic can exist in a vacuum untouched by retail, but we're talking about retail functioning as though Classic exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    nothing in classic should cross over to retail, nothing in retail should cross over to classic... because lets face it... then it wouldn't be classic...
    That's not really how that works. If classic is vanilla ice cream and retail is some Ben and Jerry's abomination of 40 things mixed into chocolate ice cream then adding vanilla ice cream to it changes it a little, but it's a one-way door. That abomination will never affect your vanilla ice cream. It will still always be vanilla ice cream. There is literally almost NO way you are getting this game with no battle.net inclusion. It will be part of the whole system even if it is a separate game on the launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    But it'll bring players who aren't there to really play Classic, but who just want to "rush the objective for their real character". I don't think that'll be a good thing for the Classic servers (or at least it's not what I hope to see on the Classic servers), so I'd prefer to keep it fully separated.
    What's even less of a good thing is having no players on the server. Nostalgia works great in small doses or when it doesn't cost anything, but if it has a subscription fee separate from your regular wow sub I think you'll find a lot of people who will either just choose not to play it or will just go find some free server to get their fix. Dabbling or even going hardcore on Nostalrius for free is completely different from a 10-15 dollar sub for an official product. Nostalgia has a shelf life, and it's a lot shorter depending on the price tag.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't like to see it the way you outlined, where items you collect in Classic are transmogs in BFA. What is more likely is that if you order the Collector's Edition of Classic you'll get in-game rewards in BFA (and maybe other Blizzard titles) much like they've done in the past with game releases. And even just buying Classic Standard Edition may reward you with a special pet or achievement in BFA. But I think that will be the extent of Classic affecting BFA only because they want to have Classic get as many sales as possible, so they'll offer as many incentives as viable to make that happen (much like they did with the pre-orders for BFA and with Blizzcon virtual ticket incentives).

They should be kept separate. It's not fair to either party, people with no interest in Classic should not have to feel like they are losing out on achievements or collectables by not playing. People with a genuine interest in Classic should not have to worry about Blizzard messing with the game just to bait people into playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieknight View Post
    The boys and girls demanded Vanilla... they should get vanilla... no effin sprinkles, no chocolate chips, not raisins, vanilla man, dont you get it... if you dont give them vanilla they'll cry that they didn't get what they ordered.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgee View Post
    Something I was thinking about the other day. What would you think if it was announced that certain activities performed on classic would translate to your retail account? For instance:

• Any mount you obtain in classic is added to your retail mount journal, including now unobtainable mounts such as the Zul'gurub tiger.
    • Any item appearances found in classic are added to your retail transmog tab. Including things such as Benediction, Rok'delar, and some of the classic Naxx weapons/armor.

Note that any mounts, titles, and transmogs that you have in retail now, and that existed in classic would not be usable in classic; you would have to re-earn/buy them to use them there (except transmog because that wasn't in classic at all to begin with). But anything "unlocked" in classic would also be unlocked in retail, essentially a one-way linking.

How would you feel if they also added special new content, like titles or achievements for your retail account by doing things in classic?
    I wouldn't mind that. People aren't gonna play classic anyways JUST to unlock transmogs, but it could incentivize people in both ways. I don't see any cons here really... I only see here people disliking this idea out of principle (both ways), which is stupid imho.

However I don't expect that to happen and it wouldn't affect me personally either way.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2018-10-04 at 02:17 PM.

No. Keep retail playerbase off Classic please. Stay where you are.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    For me, a very clear NO.

I'd hate to have any reason to play the horrible experience that was Classic, even if it was to re-"earn" some of the achievements that are not available any more.

Also would not be good for the real Classic fans for whom this is intended to be. They want to play classic because they want to play classic, not because they now have the chnace to complete something that they couldn't without it.

Completely unlink both, and then if there is enough demand long-term, let it run, if not, shut it off again.

this was talked about as soon as classic was announced and it has been a resounding "NO" ever since. we don't need people running around with unobtainable items they got while playing classic in 2019, let them be separate, it's much healthier for both games that way.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgee View Post
    Something I was thinking about the other day. What would you think if it was announced that certain activities performed on classic would translate to your retail account? For instance:

• Any mount you obtain in classic is added to your retail mount journal, including now unobtainable mounts such as the Zul'gurub tiger.
    • Any item appearances found in classic are added to your retail transmog tab. Including things such as Benediction, Rok'delar, and some of the classic Naxx weapons/armor.

Note that any mounts, titles, and transmogs that you have in retail now, and that existed in classic would not be usable in classic; you would have to re-earn/buy them to use them there (except transmog because that wasn't in classic at all to begin with). But anything "unlocked" in classic would also be unlocked in retail, essentially a one-way linking.

How would you feel if they also added special new content, like titles or achievements for your retail account by doing things in classic?
    I'd be 100% for all of that. It sounds like a great idea for fans of both retail and classic! Classic purists will freak out because they think people will only get into it to get the new goodies, but the time and grind required makes that silly. It would make no difference if you're grinding to get your T2 for Classic or Retail, because you still have to do the grind and put in the effort.

It will not, in any way, change Classic. It would (as you stated) literally just be a behind-the-scenes system where if you get something in Classic, it unlocks it for you in Retail.

Big yes from me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Classic should be classic and only classic, retail should be retail and only retail... they should be seperate and should remain seperate... nothing in classic should cross over to retail, nothing in retail should cross over to classic... because lets face it... then it wouldn't be classic...

If you want classic achievements on your retail account then you probably need to find Mr Peabody to take you back to the days of classic so you could actually earn them instead of cheesing them.
    How is it 'cheesing them'? You would still have to go into classic and earn them. Classic isn't going to be some EZ MODO faceroll where you just magically get all the shit you want. You still have to work to level 60, you still have to gear up and farm mats for potions, food, enchants, and crafted gear, and you still have to work with 39 other people for MONTHS to get what you want.

Face it, if someone is dedicated enough to try and get something from Classic so it goes into Retail, they've earned it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyjscizzle View Post
    Should be no link whatsoever. People want classic they can have classic, not classic 2.0
    It wouldn't affect Classic in any way. It's a one-way link.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grungrungrun View Post
    We don't want people playing it only for achievements/mounts for their main account. Play classic because you love classic, not because you want to pimp up your main account.
    And why can't people do it for both? Some of us both love classic and would also love to get some old, unobtainable items on our main account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    But it'll bring players who aren't there to really play Classic, but who just want to "rush the objective for their real character". I don't think that'll be a good thing for the Classic servers (or at least it's not what I hope to see on the Classic servers), so I'd prefer to keep it fully separated.
    Tell that to the people who will grind raids for months and years to get rare items. Are they 'rushing the objective'? Are they not putting in any effort? Or are they hardcore grinding to get something cool they really want, and are willing to put in all the effort required to do so?

Keep it separate, keep it clean. Let vanilla be vanilla in peace. Quiet vanilla, a place of love. Keep vanilla great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Attracting the wrong people, with the wrong mindset, for the wrong reasons. No one wants these players in the game, They will be selfish and not care a single shit about their reputation which plays a HUGE part in vanilla. They probably wouldn't even hesitate to ninja looting the thing because they're going to quit anyway. see thats a problem.

There shouldn't be any rewards outside of classic.
    That's a whole lot of assumptions and judgement on your part, dude. Selfish and not care about their reputation? Wanting to ninja-loot, etc.? How do you know they're not just people willing to put in a lot of time and effort to get something rare and hard to obtain? How do you know they're not also there for the community and the experience, but would love the chance to port some of that over to retail to show off to their other friends?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if they make this one little thing. Only you yourself can see the cosmetics. You're riding the Black battle tank on your screen. Everyone else will see a Ponto. Have T3 transmoged. Everyone else see random low lvl crap gear. You have Scarab Lord titel, everyone else will see Jenkins.

Or just not have it linked at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Keep it separate, keep it clean. Let vanilla be vanilla in peace. Quiet vanilla, a place of love. Keep vanilla great.
    How does a one-way link from Classic to Retail affect it?

As long as the link is one way, I don't see much of an issue.

The only real issue is the "I feel special" crowd that got items when they were live. Granted, if I had played during Vanilla, I would probably feel different.

They could always implement a sort of "Void Storage"esque thing, where you basically destroy an item on classic, and can use it on retail, but it's name is different "Replica" for example, or if the color scheme was different to differentiate between those who got those items when they were current.

If there is no link between classic and retail, or I can't show something on retail that I got from classic, I'll be playing classic a lot less, if at all.
    Last edited by Neverafter; 2018-10-04 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    No. Keep retail playerbase off Classic please. Stay where you are.
    There are already retail players who want to play classic (hello, nice to meet you) because the games are different experiences and some of us can appreciate both.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SOFTNUT View Post
    this was talked about as soon as classic was announced and it has been a resounding "NO" ever since. we don't need people running around with unobtainable items they got while playing classic in 2019, let them be separate, it's much healthier for both games that way.
    How is it 'much healthier for both' when having the one-way link actually promotes interaction between both games, potentially renewing interest in both sides?