Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is the "sunk cost fallacy" the reason why some people keep pretending that BFA is ok?

Just wondering: it would make a lot of sense if people became unable to recognize that they're wasting their time on a bad expansion, after having invested so much money/time into this game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arckos View Post
    Just wondering: it would make a lot of sense if people became unable to recognize that they're wasting their time on a bad expansion, after having invested so much money/time into this game?
    Or maybe some people do enjoy the game or some aspects of it still?

BFA is a turd but I raid cause it's fun to hang out with my friends on wow and kill bosses even if azerite armor sucks.

I paid for BFA with gold, and I really like it.

I can tell you what the most likely reason is that I don't dislike it while others do.

I don't raid. Outside of LFR. So I really don't care how bad Azerite traits are. I don't grind Azerite. I just level up my different classes and do some world quests and dungeons. Gear really doesn't matter that much to me. My main druid is 350, my shaman is 347. And I don't really have any urge to grind anything to get better gear or Azerite or whatever. What matter mostly to me are cosmetics, so I level alts, especially the new Allied Races.
    Last edited by Naked Snake; 2018-10-16 at 03:00 PM.

Lol what?

I don't enjoy WoW right now. But I'm not so ignorant to think that because I don't enjoy it, others are just wasting their time.

Chill out and go outside.

Deleted
    You pointing out it's a bad expansion won't make it any better, so let me enjoy this mediocre expansion.

"oh no they put trinket effects onto head/shoulder/chest pieces!"

lol

Raiding and M+ are fun

BGs are fun to kill time in

Arena is fun if you're playing with friends

What else has wow ever been?

The main issue with BfA is that they created separate experiences for each faction when it should have been cohesive, they had to stretch things far too thin to make each continent feel unique and it created less time for them to focus on the actual game systems.

Nah, this is an example of the sunk cost fallacy fallacy. People on a fan run forum aren't going to admit that they're only playing the game because of their emotional bond while people who aren't playing will very smugly imply that a sunk cost fallacy is the only logical reason people still play (you know, cuz they quit). It's impossible to account for the reasons people are playing WoW but a topic like this is only going to: a.) incense the players who are happy with the game and b.) cause the ones who aren't to pretend they've ascended to a higher level of thought and figured everything out.

In short, welcome to the first page of the next 50+ page circlejerk/anti-circlejerk MMO-C thread.

I'm having a good time, not great but good. BFA feels like the most flawed and unfinished exp pack so far. So many small bugs which used to be below Blizzard standard. It makes me sad and I hope they do not make this kind of stressed product in the future. Since they introduced a lot of new tech with scaling etc I can see why things happened and it makes it more ok but still, a step down in polishness.

More importantly, very young kids have a great time with poor quality toys and their imagination. I think this is true for most of the things we humans do, we can make it fun even if tools are lacking since we make up for it with inventiveness and imagination. So even if it is a bad expansion we compensate by having fun with friends fooling around.

OT:
    Really unsure there... I think it's more about not wanting to let go because you invested in it than unable to recognize.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

No, but lack of perspective and thinking things in vacuum are reasons why it seems so dispropotionally disliked when it's nowhere near as terrible as some really, really bad expansions like WoD and Cata were.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Might be it is why I toy with alts and to my shame have the fineship mount. Bought six months expecting it to be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not pretending anything. There are things in BfA that are disappointing. There are other things that are fine. For now the latter outweigh the former for me. We'll see how the patch affects things. The fact is I don't see BfA as some cosmic catastrophe. It's not the best start for an expansion but for me it's pretty middle of the road average.

I guess that it needs to be pointed out over and over: your opinion of the expansion is a truth for you. It's not a truth for everyone else. We would have better discussions here if folks could understand that truths...opinions...are going to vary widely from person to person and that just because someone enjoys something you're not enjoying they're not stupid or insane.

Or wrong.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-10-16 at 03:15 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    That was a large part of my inability to quit before I did.

I kind of view my WoW time as being in stasis at this point, it was tough for me to walk away from just absolutely massive time spent on alts, cumulative titles (Bloodthirsty, Battlemaster being my hardest to replicate.), being a one man guild for every profession in the game, transmog collecting for numerous classes, mount whoring... the list goes on and on.

When you’ve put that much time into something realizing it’s not going to be fun and is a job, you’re playing to be a completionist or feed your OCD it’s very tough to say enough is enough.

I basically forced myself to complete “X” tasks in PVE and PVP every week until I had full sets of both for 4 max level toons and was so sick of playing WoW I was glad to walk away.

Self-enforced aversion therapy.

I'm enjoying it much more than Legion. I don't dislike azerite armor and I don't dislike the azerite system. You can pretty much ignore it and not suffer much consequences.

The trait requirements scale with the azerite level you have when you acquire the piece. Most people don't know aboit this.

10+ Year Old Account
    BFA feels like a major patch for Legion because the new features are actually terrible.

Legion was good because it's core updates, like M+, Artifacts, Class Campaigns, World Quests and Demon Hunters were all bought into by the community.

Azerite, Warfronts & Island Expeditions have been a complete disaster by comparison. What you are left with is Legion in another setting.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Some aspects of the game are still fun for some people. Personally, the raiding and M+ scene are keeping me interested. I'm lucky enough to be in a wonderful guild with so many awesome fun people to do pretty much anything with. I believe Uldir was one of the best first raids to be introduced in WoW. BFA's start was undoubtedly marred in the eyes of many due to its many bugs and lack of polish. But for us in the EU servers, most bugs spoken of in regards to new features are almost unheard of because they had already been fixed in the US servers. This expansion has just begun, and the equivalent of the first tier of content hasn't been released yet.

I think this expansion, even with its rocky start, can still be improved in the coming patches (Major that is). I'm hoping for good news from Blizzcon.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" ~Einstein
    Wish more people would take that to heart.

Maybe we just think it's fun and completely disagree with your assesment of the game?
    Maybe you've just got a very negative outlook on everything and turn little issues in to massive problems?

Have you ever considered that opinions might differ, and that people are not necessarily wrong because they disagree with you?

Jeez, internet these days.

"This will be the 500th time we've created this thread, and we have become exceedingly ̶e̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ more boring each time it's posted"

Bfa has its problems but it’s still WoW at its core. I still like raiding and m+.

What is it with all the people who are completely obsessed with WoW failing
    Why do they want WoW to fail so much?