Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Don't try too hard to come up with bizarre situations. The point I was making was that groups should be fighting groups in WPVP.

If the OP joins a raid that's already fighting another raid in an ongoing battle, then there's no issue.
    If the OP joins a raid that just sits around in an empty shard with no competition, then there's a problem, yes?

The point of using sharding to control population imbalanced is to facilitate WPVP battles. If it isn't doing that, then I think it's fair to say that it's something that needs to be refined.
    The group he joined has probably already pushed back the alliance in the shard they were in. I guess they could have kept porting the horde group from shard to shard so they could attack every shard that had any alliance in them? Point is that there isn't a problem and everyone wants to think their solution is the end all but they are all thinking "but what about me" when there are 39 others in that group you're joining thinking the same thing.

I think that both raid groups should be placed in the same shard. How that happens under the hood I don't really know. But it seems counter-intuitive to join a raid in order to fight back against an enemy raid, only to have both groups never see each other.
    It doesn't work that way. Why should 39 people should be pulled from the shard they currently are an into the shard of the person that just joined? That would make the group just simply jump shards indefinitely and without control unless the group just stops inviting more people. Imagine the group is in an epic 39v39 PvP fight, and enjoying it, but then someone joins the group, and the whole raid group is pulled from their fight into another shard, likely without any Alliance on sight to fight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asjon View Post
    This isn't a bug. Go back to slurping Blizzard's dick or something, but they stated they shard zones so it's always a 50% between Horde and Alliance players. If your raid gets too big you just zone out to a different shard.

Oh and it's not like I can get some revenge on those motherfuckers that killed me, what are the chances I'll ever zone back into a shard with them? If they are trying to "create a community" they need to go back to servers or stop this stupid server shard bullshit.
    Quality post 10/10

This is why we cant have nice things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    So, because of one specific situation where sharding didn't work the way you wanted it to...the whole thing is a "failed fucking concept"?

Form a group consisting of people from your own server.
    You kind of prove OP's point with your last sentence. Yeah, that's a solution... because just joining a group that you find in the world isn't reliable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It doesn't work that way. Why should 39 people should be pulled from the shard they currently are an into the shard of the person that just joined? That would make the group just simply jump shards indefinitely and without control unless the group just stops inviting more people. Imagine the group is in an epic 39v39 PvP fight, and enjoying it, but then someone joins the group, and the whole raid group is pulled from their fight into another shard, likely without any Alliance on sight to fight?
    That's why shards don't work. Yes, you can balance population with them, but you get weird shit like this. A better solution would be fore OP to never have seen the group - if a shard is balanced (within X range of 50/50), then no one else can see the people in that shard.

10+ Year Old Account
    so what the idea of world pvp, if anytime u try to world pvp, u get moved to different 'shard' ?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    The group he joined has probably already pushed back the alliance in the shard they were in. I guess they could have kept porting the horde group from shard to shard so they could attack every shard that had any alliance in them? Point is that there isn't a problem and everyone wants to think their solution is the end all but they are all thinking "but what about me" when there are 39 others in that group you're joining thinking the same thing.
    Or it could just be that there's an organized group of Alliance roflstomping a bunch of unorganized solo players.

What we have here are two different problems.

As I said, the point of sharding is to control population imbalances. I'm sure sharding does that decently well in terms of absolute numbers, but it does nothing against the sort of situation that the OP described: Where a raid is stomping everyone. I'm not sure there is a good solution to that other than trying to use further sharding to try and clump raids together with each other. If Blizzard can pull that off, great! If not....it'll remain just as frustrating as before sharding.

- - - Updated - - -

Because that's not what I'm suggesting. I didn't say anything about an entire raid being pulled into a single person's shard. I just said that raids should be fighting raids.

But sharding DOES pull people and swap them around in a seemingly random fashion. Why do people think it should be different for groups than it is for individuals?

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    because he did it wrong... he JOINED a RAID and is MAD they did not move to HIS shard
    if he wanted them to join his shard, he needed to make the group.
    Yup. Not to mention the fact that Watcher's already on record stating that there is some things that are causing the shard system to do wonky things. But if no one reports them to Blizzard with times and locations and such, then they have no clue and can't get data on what happened to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    And your source of that is......
    everytime they explained the system, you join their group so you go to their shard.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    That's why shards don't work. Yes, you can balance population with them, but you get weird shit like this. A better solution would be fore OP to never have seen the group - if a shard is balanced (within X range of 50/50), then no one else can see the people in that shard.
    You misunderstand. I'm not saying that the group would be removed from the shard they currently are because it's "no longer balanced", I simply pointed out how the idea that the group should come to your shard instead of you going to their shard is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Yup. Not to mention the fact that Watcher's already on record stating that there is some things that are causing the shard system to do wonky things. But if no one reports them to Blizzard with times and locations and such, then they have no clue and can't get data on what happened to help them.
    the "wonky" things is things like being in a group but different shards, or odd interaction with zoning.

So you joined a random group and it zoned you to the group and out of the shard you wanted to be on. You then left and created a group on the shard you wanted to be on. People joined your group and moved to your shard. Then you killed the Alliance on that shard.

Seems like it's working exactly as intended to me. What kind of crack are you smoking exactly?

Because that's not what I'm suggesting. I didn't say anything about an entire raid being pulled into a single person's shard. I just said that raids should be fighting raids.
    So what happens if a PvP raid is formed... but there is no PvP raid from the other faction available to fight them? The game doesn't, and shouldn't, make distinctions between a raid of 40 players, and a group of 40 individual players, when it's balancing the shards. For two reasons: one, it would force the game to make more calculations to make a proper balance. Second, because, as I pointed out earlier, your group would find itself being moved from shard to shard as the groups on the opposite faction on your shard changes. The 40-man PvP group from the other faction broke up? Then your group will be sent to another shard that has a 40-man group to fight.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying that the group would be removed from the shard they currently are because it's "no longer balanced", I simply pointed out how the idea that the group should come to your shard instead of you going to their shard is not a good idea.
    That sort of depends on the situation. If the tech is smart enough to recognize that you're trying to join a raid, and your shard already has an opposing raid, then it would make sense for the friendly raid to come to you. Not because you decided to join, but because that's where the opposing raid was.

Like I said earlier, if Blizzard has the tech and programming to make that sort of thing happen, then alright. Cool! Otherwise it's just going to continue to be groups farming individuals and creating angry players like the OP, who probably just stop using War Mode all together(which defeats the purpose or incentivizing and trying to push players into war mode).

- - - Updated - - -

So what happens if a PvP raid is formed... but there is no PvP raid from the other faction available to fight them? The game doesn't, and shouldn't, make distinctions between a raid of 40 players, and a group of 40 individual players, when it's balancing the shards. For two reasons: one, it would force the game to make more calculations to make a proper balance. Second, because, as I pointed out earlier, your group would find itself being moved from shard to shard as the groups on the opposite faction on your shard changes. The 40-man PvP group from the other faction broke up? Then your group will be sent to another shard that has a 40-man group to fight.
    Or as other raids form on other shards, they're brought to your existing raid shard since you're already established.

I'm not a mathematician or a programmer, so I don't know how this would all hash out in the code. It might very well be impossible to do in a way that feels good to WPVP players.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire989 View Post
    How do you know he didn’t bug it as well before coming here? Are you physic?
    I think you mean Psychic.
    Wouldn't hurt to take a look in a dictionary once in a while.

That sort of depends on the situation. If the tech is smart enough to recognize that you're trying to join a raid, and your shard already has an opposing raid, then it would make sense for the friendly raid to come to you. Not because you decided to join, but because that's where the opposing raid was.
    But what if the raid you're joining do not want to come to your server? What if they formed a raid just to be able to protect themselves, or they formed the raid specifically to do go gank individual players and aren't interested in "many X many" pvp fights?

Like I said earlier, if Blizzard has the tech and programming to make that sort of thing happen, then alright. Cool! Otherwise it's just going to continue to be groups farming individuals and creating angry players like the OP, who probably just stop using War Mode all together(which defeats the purpose or incentivizing and trying to push players into war mode).
    Or... he could try to form the group himself. If he's the leader, then the group will stay in his shard. Problem solved.

Or as other raids form on other shards, they're brought to your existing raid shard since you're already established.
    So, say you have a 20-man PvP Horde group. An Alliance PvP group forms on a different shard. When they reach 20, they are forced into your shard. Then another joins their team, or one of theirs leave... and boom. The group is gone from your shard.

I'm not a mathematician or a programmer, so I don't know how this would all hash out in the code. It might very well be impossible to do in a way that feels good to WPVP players.
    You don't need to be a mathematician or a programmer to know that the more variables you add into an equation, the more complex the equation becomes.

Doesn't know how the tech works. Must be a failed concept. Good one op. Get yourself into a lather and have a rage online. This will show blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    So you joined a random group and it zoned you to the group and out of the shard you wanted to be on. You then left and created a group on the shard you wanted to be on. People joined your group and moved to your shard. Then you killed the Alliance on that shard.

Seems like it's working exactly as intended to me. What kind of crack are you smoking exactly?
    No he did this
    " you joined a random group and it zoned you to the group and out of the shard you wanted to be on. You then left, returning to your shard and got killed, then came to the forums and cried that it was broken"
    he didnt make his own group, he joined another then left and got killed
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

why is it considered failed? I shart all the time after KFC or Taco Bell, and so did this game. seems like they did exactly what they wanted; tbh

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire989 View Post
    How do you know he didn’t bug it as well before coming here? Are you physic?
    because its not a bug.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    so what the idea of world pvp, if anytime u try to world pvp, u get moved to different 'shard' ?
    no you arnt getting what he is saying or what happened.

he found a group of 40 alliance
    he joined a group of 39 horde hopign they could kill them for him.
    he moved to the shard that the other 39 people are on...
    because he joined THEIR group he joined THEIR shard.

if he wanted help to kill the alliance he needed to invite people to HIS group.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

With sharding, the only method of working world PvP is to form a group / raid FIRST and then kill random people you come across. Targeting specific groups to World PvP against isn't supported. I agree it lacks soul because you'd like to defend a base or a key area because its fun, and you'd like to fight regular people instead of randoms, but that's not what Blizz offers.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.