I didn't know how to feel with Arya. A character you have seen since she was a child, this was one sexy time I didn't care for. Though I suppose in a way that it is nice to see that she still has some humanity in her.

I hope the next episode starts with a Tormund, Jamie and Brienne spitroast. Any order. While Pod sings Bitches Aint Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    according to what i'm reading in his interviews, he disliked his performance in the show rather then the show itself, becasue he had trouble with following the plot, so he had no real idea of his character motivations etc.

https://www.avclub.com/stephen-dilla...nis-1821031727
    Yep, there's also this one : https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...got-out-of-it/

It's a shame really, because I always thought his perfomance was more than solid. He did a very good job as Stannis, not his fault they butchered his character.
    I wish he was still alive defending Winterfell.

GoT was better when it wasnt that mainstream... too much fanservice. Sadly the average fan nowadays is weird, young and female so they actually want to see shit like Arya banging and an ugly woman side character getting knighted. Meanwhile they ruined big players like Littlefinger/ Tyrion / Varys just to please this group of fans... they all seemed to love LF "getting what he deserved". Smartest player in GoT getting owned by 2 little girls.

Sad they run out of source material.

5+ Year Old Account
    Arya is almost 23, she got bewbs

glorious bewbs

deal with it

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimm View Post
    Pretty sure you still had to be in a higher position (lord, baron, clergy) to knight someone else.
    Also I believe knights could only help their own squires to get knighted at some point.

What we just saw was nonesense...
    >imposing real-life Feudal systems that are already highly varied in the Real World against a Fantasy World.

Come on now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    GoT was better when it wasnt that mainstream... too much fanservice. Sadly the average fan nowadays is weird, young and female so they actually want to see shit like Arya banging and an ugly woman side character getting knighted. Meanwhile they ruined big players like Littlefinger/ Tyrion / Varys just to please this group of fans... they all seemed to love LF "getting what he deserved". Smartest player in GoT getting owned by 2 little girls.

Trying too hard to be edgy m8.

5+ Year Old Account
    I knew Arya was horny af when gendry put that heated piece into the bucket of cold water. Didn't expect a sex scene to come but u could tell she had a dirty mind at that moment

My prediction? Dany goes back to the other side of the world to rule at the end, realizing she has no ties to Westeros other than "muh rights".

Arya dies, Sansa becomes Queen in the North, no Clegane Bowl, and Tyrion becomes lord of casterly rock (Jaime dies).

The show was much better when it was about warring houses, not the undead stuff (This also extends to the books as well though).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post

The problem with the show is that there's too much dialogue - which is fine in the books because the dialogue is:
    1. Actually good
    2. You can see the inner thoughts of the character

but in the show, the dialogue is not only terrible, but the acting is usually bad too. Instead, character growth should be done through actions - see Jaime's "trial" at the beginning of the episode.

Dany - "I hate you, you killed my father"
    Sansa - "I agree"
    Jaime - "Dude war lmao, dealwithit.jpg"
    Brienne - "Muh honor"
    Sansa - "wtf I love Lannisters now"

And that's it. Literally 7 season worth of conflict between the three major houses, condensed into a two minute scene. Why can't Jaime actually prove himself to Dany / Sansa through actions and not have a tier-2 character explain it all away? The other problem with the show is that it devotes too much (when it should devote literally 0) time to tier-3 characters, like the translator girl and soldier guy.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    My only fear is that even though each episode last longer, alot of stuff will be rushed and forced just go get a ending.
    Seems to me like a bit of an odd fear to have.

They reduced season 7 to 7 episodes and season 8 to 6, presumably because they didn't feel they had enough material to fill two 10 episode seasons. It would make absolutely no sense for them to rush to try and fit everything into those 6 episodes when they could very easily have added as many episodes as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Kind of a dumb idea to hide the women and children in the crypts, when the night king can just raise the dead?
    What I want to know is why no one even brought up the idea when Jon returned with Danny to move anyone who could not fight to the docks since if I recall correctly are more south than Winterfell and try to sail them to Essos where it would be safe. Preferably Meereen, since it would be stupidly difficult for the Iron fleet to find them the odds would be in their favour. Daario is likely still in charge of the city and if he had a letter from Daenerys to accept their refuge he'd accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Seems to me like a bit of an odd fear to have.

They reduced season 7 to 7 episodes and season 8 to 6, presumably because they didn't feel they had enough material to fill two 10 episode seasons. It would make absolutely no sense for them to rush to try and fit everything into those 6 episodes when they could very easily have added as many episodes as necessary.
    I guess you are right. It probably boils down to me not wanting it to end and I wanted more than six episodes. I'll probably start on the books when the shows over.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The show was much better when it was about warring houses, not the undead stuff (This also extends to the books as well though).
    The story was always about the conflict between the living and the dead. Hence the name of the series of books being "a Song of Fire and Ice". The petty warring of the houses was simply a distraction to explain why the world of the living is so ill prepared to face the coming of the Night King.

It may be easy to forget that, but given that the very first scene in the show is about the White Walkers, it is pretty self evident.

The problem with the show is that there's too much dialogue - which is fine in the books because the dialogue is:
    1. Actually good

but in the show, the dialogue is not only terrible, but the acting is usually bad too.
    I have seen enough film and television in my life to know "terrible" dialogue and "bad" acting when I see it. Your use of hyperbole here undermines your credibility.

Instead, character growth should be done through actions - see Jaime's "trial" at the beginning of the episode.
    We've had 7 seasons of Jaime's character growth. I am not sure what further "trials" you expect him to go through at this point.

Sansa - "I agree"
    Brienne - "Muh honor"
    That's a terrible synopsis. Are you sure you were actually paying attention?

And that's it. Literally 7 season worth of conflict between the three major houses, condensed into a two minute scene. Why can't Jaime actually prove himself to Dany / Sansa through actions and not have a tier-2 character explain it all away?
    Because Dany and Sansa are smart and listen to the advice of the people they trust who have better insights than them. As the audience we know and understand how Jaime has, indeed, grown and how Dany and Sansa should accept his aid. Everything we witness as the audience has been witnessed though by other characters in the story like Brienne and Tyrion. Sorry, but to me it would just puerile for Dany/Sansa to demand more of him at this stage. Besides, there is a coming battle and they'll soon see for themselves what he is made of.

The other problem with the show is that it devotes too much (when it should devote literally 0) time to tier-3 characters, like the translator girl and soldier guy.
    I completely disagree. The attention to the "lower tier" characters is a large part of what GoT relatable to the audience and made into the most successful tv show in history, in a genre that had previously struggled to gain even limited traction with audiences. I guess when you get to make your own show, you'll be able to show the rest of us how it should be done though

5+ Year Old Account
    Knights of the Vale...I remembered again, where are those fuckers? Their Lord Royce who represents Arryn, the warden of the east, is in Winterfell but I don't see any troops, did they go home? Will everyone retreat to the Vale if things go bad? The bloody gate is a formidable defense. And Cersei can't take it either.

I noticed that Winterfell sets were bigger for season 8, and I feel the bloody gate was underwhelming but it was due to limited budget, I think it needs to be more imposing.

Lol one youtube comment said robyn arryn should be married to little bear mormont, that would straighten him out!
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-04-22 at 04:09 PM.

My prediction? Dany goes back to the other side of the world to rule at the end, realizing she has no ties to Westeros other than "muh rights".

Arya dies, Sansa becomes Queen in the North, no Clegane Bowl, and Tyrion becomes lord of casterly rock (Jaime dies).

- - - Updated - - -

1. Actually good

but in the show, the dialogue is not only terrible, but the acting is usually bad too. Instead, character growth should be done through actions - see Jaime's "trial" at the beginning of the episode.

Sansa - "I agree"
    Brienne - "Muh honor"

And that's it. Literally 7 season worth of conflict between the three major houses, condensed into a two minute scene. Why can't Jaime actually prove himself to Dany / Sansa through actions and not have a tier-2 character explain it all away? The other problem with the show is that it devotes too much (when it should devote literally 0) time to tier-3 characters, like the translator girl and soldier guy.
    muh honor !!!! for the horde!

This has got to be the worst episode yet, or at least the most boring one. The whole episode only took place in Winterfell while interchanging about 100 different character interactions. Nothing even remotely interesting happened. I do get that they need episodes like these to wrap up the stories and make us care for the characters should they die, but it feels unnecesary to span it over 3 episodes so far (the finale of S7 was also very much a reuniting episode).

I'm still looking forward to see the upcoming battle and whatever Cersei is up to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unexpected Maisie Williams side-boob. I always forget, just because she LOOKS about 12, doesn't mean she actually is. Was still weird as shit, though.

Brienne being Knighted was a nice scene. Kinda makes me think either her or Jaime, if not both, will die next week.

There needs to be 1000% more Hound in this show. His 5 min, 3 line conversation with Arya was one of the best parts of the episode, can we have more of that please?

Jon dropping truth bombs on Dany at the end there. 100% chance she goes full Mad King and either lets him die, or attacks on her own, once the battle is done. She's spent her whole life trying to get back on the throne, she can let Broody Mc Sulkypants take it now.

Also: Is Gilly pregnant, or just the actress? Because she was CLEARLY pregnant this episode, but no one said a thing about it...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashina View Post
    What tilts me even more is how every review I've seen or read so far is giving it 9/10 and is ecstatic about how good this episode was. Like, am I missing something here? This was an episode of How I Met Your Mother: the GOT edition.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't Jamie the de facto head of House Lannister?
    I agree, both episodes have been slow but I enjoyed the first episode and wasn't really disappointed. The second episode being slow too in a short season is a bit poor imo, I didn't really enjoy this episode, I know there were things here and there that we wanted to see but it wasn't as good as I was expecting for the second episode. I know the next one is going to be chaos, war and death, but I thought this episode would have a bit more progression in it, sort of feels like some scenes were a bit unnecessary/drawn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Don't worry, Theon's got like 4 fingers and 6 toes, he can protect Bran.

It's amazing that Jon can come back and be like, "Hey guys I got a huge army to help us" and everyone is pissed and they debate for 20 minutes, then when their whole plan is to have a cripple guarded by mutilated, traitorous Theon, everyone is like, "all right, fine, cool."
    Well, first of all he said the rest of the Ironborn would also be there, not just him. Second, he's proven to be a fairly capable fighter despite his handicaps, winning a 1 v 1 fistfight and rescuing his sister. He's no great warrior, but he can take a few undead with him if he goes down.

So many edgelords coming out of the woodwork to poopoo this episode when it was probably one of the better ones of the last few seasons. This is their calm before the storm moment when they are potentially all facing their deaths and are coming to grips with regrets, addressing grievances, rectifying wrongs and seeking truths while they still have the chance. There was a lot of development thrown into this that could probably have easily taken two episodes of any other season, but the show runners know everyone's just turning up for the big dead v. living brawl so it was a bit rushed.

The Arya scene didn't creep me out at all. She's also facing death and she's been dealing with it practically nonstop for several years now, either witnessing the death of her family and friends or dealing it out to avenge them. It was good to see she still has some humanity in there somewhere and I think the scene itself was pretty tastefully done, especially considering how overtly sexual most of the show is. It's something she wanted to experience before she potentially dies and she wanted to experience it with a dude she has a bond with. Nothing really all that shocking or offputting about it.

I'm pretty sure at least half the main characters are going to be wiped out in the next episode and they will fail to stop the army of the dead. The survivors will retreat to some other bastion to regroup, grieve and try to regain composure while the army of the dead marches down to meet Cersei's army, setting up the second huge battle. They will, of course, be powerless to stop it since they will not even have armed themselves with the proper weapons (except, perhaps, Cersei's favorite: explosives) and the remnants of the defense of Winterfell will pull themselves together to charge into the enemy's rear much like Stannis did. The third and final big battle takes place and whoever is left alive at the end of the mess will be left to--reluctantly--lead the few survivors into a new era.

All pure speculation on my part, of course, but if they're following RR's outline I think it's totally "him".

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    So many edgelords coming out of the woodwork to poopoo this episode when it was probably one of the better ones of the last few seasons.
    I'm an edgemistress, thankyouverymuch.

I thought it was an excellent episode, just because I sprinkle a little criticism here or there doesn't mean that it wasn't wholly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm an edgemistress, thankyouverymuch.

I thought it was an excellent episode, just because I sprinkle a little criticism here or there doesn't mean that it wasn't wholly enjoyable.
    Pretty sure I didn't single you out. :P There's been plenty of legitimate criticisms in the thread, but there's been twice as much "ugh, who even WATCHES GOT anymore?" too-cool-for-school nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Also: Is Gilly pregnant, or just the actress? Because she was CLEARLY pregnant this episode, but no one said a thing about it...
    Personally I am not sure if Gilly is meant to be, or the actor simply got fat. In that scene with the child her double chin was so prominent that I almost feel it was intentionally presented. I usually don't care about or see those things, so it must have been really outstanding.