Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Yeah, I mean for someone who has never played WoW before, how can he know he will prefer classic over modern WoW? He'd have nothing to go on. To such a person without deep understanding of the game, classic and modern WoW are the same thing, it's just WoW. So classic will only appeal to previous WoW players who have an understanding of what the game was like back in vanilla. Not to mention teenagers these days are not the teenagers from back in 2004. The Call of Duty generation is going to place a higher emphasis on graphics, something which WoW has not had at a cutting edge level for 10 years now.
    Graphics were always placed on higher emphasis for me and my friends when we were younger and started PC gaming ca 1998.

It was vanilla WoW that made me realise that gameplay trumps graphics, as it looked quite mediocre compared to other games around that time.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-04-24 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Graphics were always placed on higher emphasis for me and my friends when we were younger and started PC gaming ca 1998.

It was vanilla WoW that made me realise that gameplay trumps graphics, as it looked quite mediocre compared to other games around that time.
    Yeah, true. MMORPGs not known for their graphics. It would stress the machine prolly too much, because so many things have to happen on-screen, like other players and big cities. Still what I mean is Vanilla WoW in 2004 does not look as bad compared to its contemporaries, compared to games coming out in 2019. First-person shooters have higher emphasis on graphics as the selling point generally speaking. Games like Crysis got PC gamers to upgrade their PC just to experience better graphics

Classic won't do shit to retail. Stop being delusional.

It will have it's peak at launch, prolly for a week or two. Then the majority will get back to retail, while some of nostalrius fans will keep on playing vanilla and flooding barrens chat with "vanilla good retail bad" memes. Circlejerk must continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    yes, games like Age of Conan are coming out soon and will also kill WoW.
    Indeed. And don't forget Wildstar. WoW won't have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    This would exponentially increase the amount of different wow versions. What makes you think that will happen?
    Similar logic to why we are getting classic. I think there will be masses of people who will want to go to outlands pre Cata again, and ActiBlizzard will see the $$ and cave. Just my opinion though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    That would be a complete nonsense. Why repeating the same old cycle over and over again?

Classic makes sense because it’s where everything started. Going through all the other expansions again imho is stupid.
    That is your opinion and maybe youre correct but, I think there is a good chance that TBC is an option since the same private server community that pushed for classic has a large TBC pop too. In reality what "makes sense" is whatever will make Blizzard money. I think there's enough nostalgia among players to have the number base to support it though. Using myself as an example, I played in classic but was young and naive when it came to MMOs. In TBC I really began to understand the game and that's where I fell in love with it. To reply that experience would bring me back like classic will for many players.

My opinion though...

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post

We have never heard that one before

------------------------------------------------

It's really hard to say what will happen. Everyone likes different things.

Personally i will resubscribe for Classic. BFA already lost me, because my favorite classes got boring for me.

Will start playing Retail again when the next expansion arrives. Hopefully they will finally add a new caster class this time around. Just please not another melee class...

15+ Year Old Account
    Classic will have a sizable but niche population.

There will be some who play Classic exclusively and others who play both.

There will be considerably more who have no interest in Classic and continue to play Retail, or try it out of curiosity and decide they don't like the time commitment requirements.

Classic will never be "the possible death of current".
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I doubt Classic is going to "kill" live WoW.

At most, I think if Classic is wildly successful, it might encourage Blizzard to take a hard look at what they did different back in the day and apply some of that to newer versions of the game (which would probably be a good thing).

The anticipation of Classic has killed BFA for me... didn't even get to max level before i stopped playing. tried again last weekend but stopped after 1 hour. still 2 levels to go.

One of the things i miss the most: Getting a spell or talent with (almost?) every level.
    And i really hate todays talent trees...

Or maybe i'm just burned out and classic won't change a thing... guess i'll find out "soon".

I hope Classic does well enough they don't regret doing it. But a retro version won't have more than a negligible impact on the modern game.

I don't think it'll happen. There is so much of the vanilla experience that can't be replicated now that it'll be a far more different experience this time through.

So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.
    In that case casuals would probably not play classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Heph47 View Post
    Play it through in a couple of months? Did you mean years? Only a fraction of the content will be available in the first two months, and you won't even be able to get through all of that in a 2 month time frame.
    Pretty sure people mean once its all out it will take that much

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    People eventually as a majority will want new things.
    [citation needed]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    WoW's already dead, the fuck you talking about?
    fucking asmongold's streams draw more attention then the WF race, WoW's been dead for a long time now.

BfA is fucking trash but retail will always be greater than classic.

If you’ve never played classic, you have no idea. You just don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    In that case casuals would probably not play classic.
    as someone who's done every grind and farm in the classic game, and in BFA.
    classic is far more casual friendly with how less of the rewards are time-limited and progression is less time-gated.

one of modern's problems is how irregular it is to actually get what you're doing the action for, classic is more consistent in it's reward structure.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.
    This, i used to unsub for a few months at a time, and generally spent said time playing unofficial tbc/wotlk servers. With classic, i'll remain subbed year long, even though I've remained subbed the longest i have ever been at this point. (since Tomb of Sargeras)

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ...if you're a no-life NEET who can play 8 hours a day, yes.

Even so, with the content release cycle, you literally cannot complete all of the content in "2 months", because only MC/Ony are available in the first phase.
    That's one perspective.

The other is: "this game is so grindy it takes months of play time to do all the stuff! Isn't it fun, guys?".

It will explode in popularity at launch, then, when retail players realize they have to grind mobs for hours to gain a single level (stopping to drink often ofc) they will rush back to BfA. In a few months only a few diehards will be playing it. Took too long for Blizz to capitalize on the vanilla lovers playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Vanilla is limited and not expanding. You can play it through in a couple of months. People will then want to continue their journey on retail.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    oh ya totally just need a few months to level to 60 clear MC, and Ony, and BWL, and AQ, and Naxx. Not too mention it will probably be a few years at least 1 before they even launch Naxx. My hope is after that we get TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Senel View Post
    It will explode in popularity at launch, then, when retail players realize they have to grind mobs for hours to gain a single level (stopping to drink often ofc) they will rush back to BfA. In a few months only a few diehards will be playing it. Took too long for Blizz to capitalize on the vanilla lovers playerbase.
    I do indeed expect a huge amount of people to run back to retail once they realize there is no LFR/LFG lol. But if your grinding mobs for hours to gain a single level yer doing it wrong lol.