Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    173 months * $14.99 = $2,593.27.
    Then add the game media, let's say $50 each. So 8 * $50 = $400.

So $3,000 is probably a good general ball park figure. Unless my math is totally out. Which is entirely possible.
    A physical scratch-off 30 day gamecard back in february 2005 when the game came out for us costed what was equivalent to around (current rate) 9 USD here in Iceland. Subscription was even cheaper. It took years for the subscription price to reach current numbers (I don't remember what the numbers were in dollars back in the day but with the icelandic currency's poor strength and stability 15 years ago I can't imagine it was relevant).

Simply put, the price of subscription you're seeing today is much higher than it was in 2004+.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
    A physical scratch-off 30 day gamecard back in february 2005 when the game came out for us costed what was equivalent to around (current rate) 9 USD here in Iceland. Subscription was even cheaper. It took years for the subscription price to reach current numbers (I don't remember what the numbers were in dollars back in the day but with the icelandic currency's poor strength and stability 15 years ago I can't imagine it was relevant).

Simply put, the price of subscription you're seeing today is much higher than it was in 2004+.
    It's been $15 a month since the start, barring buying it in bulk, special deals on game cards, or the promotions they had every few years. When you take inflation into account, that means we're actually paying less than we used to.

Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    lets be real, if it wasnt for so many of these guys exsisting in the first place, classic would NOT be happening right now
    Cmon man lol, the nost petition sped up the process greatly but to think classic wouldnt happen if not for private servers or streamers is not solid logic, blizzard knows how much money is in retro gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine they would need to do an open beta at some point to stress test their server systems right? That seems like one of the more important tests they could do.

remember when Towellie's stream title hype-ups ended up being true?

yeah, me neither

It won't happen, but it would cool to see the Beta function like the Classic demo. during BlizzCon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Cmon man lol, the nost petition sped up the process greatly but to think classic wouldnt happen if not for private servers or streamers is not solid logic, blizzard knows how much money is in retro gaming.
    At best, it made them take another look at the problem.

The core issue was: Getting Classic running on the current WoW server structure without basically maintaining two MMO's at the same time.
    They figured that out, boom, classic happened.

If that hadn't been the case, Classic would have not happened most likely due to maintenance costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Towellie
    lololololol

Do people seriously still follow that slob?

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    lololololol

Towelliee is an entertaining dude but most of his subs are retail players, you need to cater to the crowd that pays the bills.....just like blizzard has to do today.

He also has been brainwashed over the years to think raiding is the only reason to play an MMO, this is why his opinions on it arent exactly representative of someone who loves classic WoW, even tho he did play it much of its magic was lost on him because of that.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-05-13 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    That doesn’t mean that classic will bring people back. It’s targeted to very specific target audience. No lifers and people who refuse to move on.
    So the 10+ million people who bought an NES or SNES classic are just no-lifers who refuse to move on lol? Retro gaming is retro gaming any way you slice it, and there is a massive potential audience for vanilla WoW.

This argument holds no ground my dude, vanilla WoW got the core mmo mechanics right and it has stood the test of time. The things retail does right are very limited in comparison to classic in an MMORPG sense, people have just gotten used to creature comforts and fluff and mistake that for being a better game.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It's coming! A BETA announcement is imminent.

Some signs:

Towellie twitch stream has a 24 hour timer and a heading: "When You Realize SOON…Is Happening | Timers Are Weird"

Another streamer, MrGM, has tweeted an image of a Vanilla Coke with the words "Gonna drink this one on Wednesday I think ☺️"

Get ready guys!
    Towelliee knows fuck all, that guy hated on classic more than everyone and he was so sure in himself and his judgement that he said "Classic will never be brought back"
    And here we are.

Leave Classic for the people who want it like Soda, Asmon, Esfand, Mizkif and so on.

are there 10m playing NES & SNES today?

You don't seem to get my point at all. WoW is an old game, it's 15 years old. there is no way they will bring back the golden age of wow no matter what they do.
    Not sure what you are getting at, you are now talking about "golden ages" when my original response was about how large of a potential audience classic has. WoW had well over 100m unique accounts created up to ~2015 and even if a small % of those people come back classic will be a resounding success. Your statement of it being a "very specific audience" is straight up inaccurate, the scope of potential players for classic well outreaches the audience of todays retail game.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    are there 10m playing NES & SNES today?

You don't seem to get my point at all. WoW is an old game, it's 15 years old. there is no way they will bring back the golden age of wow no matter what they do.
    It definitely won't bring back the golden age of WoW, that has passed. But it can bring back a portion of it.
    People just want old WoW back

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    It definitely won't bring back the golden age of WoW, that has passed. But it can bring back a portion of it.
    People just want old WoW back
    That said, it WILL be the golden age for WoW on twitch

Classic will be the best Wow has ever done on that site, not too shabby for a 15 year old game lol.

Classic will be the best Wow has ever done on that site, not too shabby for a 15 year old game lol.
    Maybe, if enough people reach 40-50 when the real fun - dungeons and PvP - begins.

I doubt thousands will watch some Mage struggle with mobs in the Barrens or STV.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Maybe, if enough people reach 40-50 when the real fun - dungeons and PvP - begins.

I doubt thousands will watch some Mage struggle with mobs in the Barrens or STV.
    Well im speaking for the launch specifically, it will be the biggest thing on twitch for at least a month.

Lets also not forget the patches, AQ gate opening/naxx will be incredibly popular in game and on twitch. Its going to be ups and downs based on patches just like retail, there isnt going to be the mass exodus classic haters predict.

Well im speaking for the launch specifically, it will be the biggest thing on twitch for at least a month.
    BfA launch and first two weeks also had a massive amount of views. The hype will last a week, maybe more. Once people actually realize what vanilla entails and what's it like to play it, views will disappear like a smoke.

If speed running ever becomes a thing in retail classic, I can see some streamers sustaining a few thousand views.

BfA launch and first two weeks also had a massive amount of views. The hype will last a week, maybe more. Once people actually realize what vanilla entails and what's it like to play it, views will disappear like a smoke.

If speed running ever becomes a thing in retail classic, I can see some streamers sustaining a few thousand views.
    That's how hype works my dude, of course the views are going to drop off drastically after a set period. The mere fact a 15 year old game is going to be the top watched game for a small period is the impressive part, it just shows how important this game was to people and how good blizzard got it the first try. And no one but private server kids could give two shits about speed running, that was never a thing in vanilla.....just for people who played a game for too long and sucked the magic out of it for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    lololololol

Of course they do, it's where you can watch the very pinnacle of top tier mythic raiding.
    Like in the below clip...

https://clips.twitch.tv/SeductiveHardJuiceVoteNay

5+ Year Old Account
    PTSD right there for me.