Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Plenty of indie studios only work on one game at a time. It all depends on the resources you have available to you.
    We're not talking about indie companies here though.

Unless Game Freak is suddenly indie and I never knew.

You simply said an entire company...
    Context.

We were talking about Game Freak, and the other poster was acting like it was horrible that 100% of Game Freak wasn't working on Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Agreed.

The baby system was fine in Awakening because it fit the story.

Shoving it in for the sake of having the system misses the point.
    I quite liked the kids in Fates, even if the excuse was ridiculous. It's just fun pairing your favorite ships together and watching them interact with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Worst example you could have used, remember when all the devs went off to work on Titan(Overwatch) and heroes.

so the C team (cunts) worked on WoW, and we got....WoD LOLOLOLOLOL.

Different teams are fine, but clearly some teams just aren't as talented as others then you end up with such shit tier quality instead of what you're used to, just look at Legion after blizzard knew they shit the bed with WoD and had to get good devs back for quality content.
    No. WoD's development had multiple problems besides Brook's Law. WoD was high quality, with arguably one of the best X.0 content drops in the history of the game. The problem was that it lacked post-launch support, as Blizzard decided to cut the life support and work on Legion.

Context.

We were talking about Game Freak, and the other poster was acting like it was horrible that 100% of Game Freak wasn't working on Pokemon.
    No one is acting like it's horrible that 100% of Game Freak isn't working on Pokemon. People are dissatisfied with Game Freak's egregious mishandling of the Pokemon franchise for years on end and then get more frustrated when they see them investing effort into other projects, and ask "why can't Game Freak do the same with Pokemon?"

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No. WoD's development had multiple problems besides Brook's Law. WoD was high quality, with arguably one of the best X.0 content drops in the history of the game. The problem was that it lacked post-launch support, as Blizzard decided to cut the life support and work on Legion.
    No they gave up on WoD because it was lacking any substance they knew it was shit everyone hated it but milked it for easy garrison millions and they worked on Legion because they knew saving WoD wasn't going to be worth the effort.

Also best X.0 content? sorry my spec didn't fucking get finished till half way through 6.0 and was completely useless in 6.2. Expansion was so rushed and unfinished it was a joke.

No one is acting like it's horrible that 100% of Game Freak isn't working on Pokemon. People are dissatisfied with Game Freak's egregious mishandling of the Pokemon franchise for years on end and then get more frustrated when they see them investing effort into other projects, and ask "why can't Game Freak do the same with Pokemon?"
    What exactly do you want from those non Pokemon projects? Because they certainly look like tiny budget Game Freak games and don't look like they have any more effort put into them then Pokemon does which is what you seem to be claiming...

Man if only Game Freak put the same effort into Pokemon as they put into Giga Wrecker! What is this take even lol.

Even then your statement is wrong without the qualifier “of sufficient size”.
    You're arguing semantics when literally anyone who comes in here knows we're not talking about indie companies.

Coming in to be like "BUT INDIES!" is just irrelevant.

No one cares about indie companies in this context. It makes no sense to compare to indie companies. And it's not even apt of a comparison.

It would be like hearing two people discussing Apple vs Microsoft to be like "oh but Linux!". Even if you're right, it's not what was being talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    What exactly do you want from those non Pokemon projects? Because they certainly look like tiny budget Game Freak games and don't look like they have any more effort put into them then Pokemon does which is what you seem to be claiming...

Man if only Game Freak put the same effort into Pokemon as they put into Giga Wrecker! What is this take even lol.
    The Pokemon games have been consistently declining in quality since HGSS.

• They removed Secret Bases
    • They removed contests
    • They removed follower Pokemon
    • They removed Battle Frontier
    • They removed the Safari Zone
    • They removed the Underground
    • They removed World Tournament
    • They removed Game Corner
    • They removed Soaring
    • They removed Roaming Pokemon
    • They removed Mega Evolutions
    • They removed Z-Moves
    • They removed being able to use any Pokemon

• The pacing of the games have been increasingly bogged down with cutscenes, teleporting, which is antithetical to the exploration gameplay of the earlier titles, culminating in the mess that was Sun and Moon.
    • The regions have become increasingly less enjoyable to explore. Gone are the interconnected routes of Gen 3 and 4 that you kept coming back to. Now just walk through the road and never return.
    • They have been adding fewer and fewer Pokemon with each generation. Remember when we got 130 to 150 new Pokemon with each new generation? Now we barely get 80.
    • Any semblance of challenge is gone. Pokemon was never hardcore but your choice of Pokemon, moveset, and who you put at the front of the party to level up was important. You also had to conserve items during the marathon routes, such as the trek from Mauville to Fortree to Lilycove, or the trek from Canalave City to Snowpoint City, which felt like an achievement to overcome.

Game Freak has realized that they can just do the bare minimum required (new region, some 60 new Pokemon, some semblance of story content to last 20 hours), ship it, and it will sell millions.

snip
    Not sure what this reply is but you didn't even reply to what I said.

You claimed they where putting some "effort into their side games that they should put into Pokemon" so tell me what you want from those side games in Pokemon?

Don't try to derail with some massive post about issues I really could give a rats ass about because Pokemon is my least concern. I just really want to know what this great effort going into their side projects is that Pokemon doesn't have.

Let me guess, it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Let me guess, it doesn't exist.
    In the context of your strawman argument, it does not.

What I did say was that I was lamenting the fact that is a shame to see Game Freak setting aside resources to work on new projects while allowing their flagship series to stagnate in mediocrity.

It’s not just indies. There are tons of smaller companies that work on games for bigger studios. Many only have the resources for one project at a time. And semantics are how you get your actual meaning across. Getting upset about it concedes you failed to accurately communicate what you intended.

And when a studio only have 140 or so employees I’d say one major project like pokemon is about all they have the resources for. So, yeah.
    I'm not "getting upset". I'm saying "I am done with this because it's just off topic at this point and you're just trying to get a 'gotcha!' moment than actually realize you're talking about B as we talk about A".

Again, 140 employees does not make it comparable to an indie company. And size isn't all that matters, it's also about budget. So this is really just reaching even further.

- - - Updated - - -

I quite liked the kids in Fates, even if the excuse was ridiculous. It's just fun pairing your favorite ships together and watching them interact with each other.

There's other ways to incorporate the pairing though than just forcing the children in situations where it's just wonky.

For the second part, honestly could fool me then. Some people I've seen are reacting like Pokemon was their child they left with Game Freak and GF just neglected the kid and led to death or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fates was a god awful game, the children in Awakening went from being products of your personal shipping to a full on eugenics experiment if you did Apotheosis.

Everything I'm hearing about 3h though is making me more excited for it.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Fates was a god awful game, the children in Awakening went from being products of your personal shipping to a full on eugenics experiment if you did Apotheosis.

Everything I'm hearing about 3h though is making me more excited for it.
    Exactly.

My least favorite thing about Fates was despite them swearing that each game would stand on its own, it felt like you were missing the story if you only played one.

Also that is the tiniest Joshua I've ever seen in your sig.

(At least, I think it's Joshua, the tiny sprites are really just by hair at that point)

Fates was such an abomination. It's like they took all the anime tropes they think made Awakening so popular, turned then up to 10000 and also thought they could milk the consumers for money with 3 different games that should of been 1.

3H honestly feels like what Fates should of been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly.

My least favorite thing about Fates was despite them swearing that each game would stand on its own, it felt like you were missing the story if you only played one.

Also that is the tiniest Joshua I've ever seen in your sig.

(At least, I think it's Joshua, the tiny sprites are really just by hair at that point)
    You were missing parts of the story if you played all 3 paths even, cause they had the incredibly bright idea to put some of it in even more DLC instead of just sticking it in the third main path that you had to buy separately anyway.

The one thing Fates has going for it is that the Conquest route in it has good gameplay, everything else is just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    You were missing parts of the story if you played all 3 paths even, cause they had the incredibly bright idea to put some of it in even more DLC instead of just sticking it in the third main path that you had to buy separately anyway.

The one thing Fates has going for it is that the Conquest route in it has good gameplay, everything else is just awful.
    Game pretty much should of been Conquest+Birthright for $40 and then Revelation+the rest of the DLC in one pack for $30. Instead it was basically the worst money grab Nintendo ever tried lol.

But's it's a situation where gamers actually did vote with their wallet... kinda... Awakening by itself managed to out sell all of fates combined. I think Nintendo learned their lesson on that one, don't try to Pokemon a franchise that is built nothing like Pokemon.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-07-16 at 05:28 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will vehemently disagree with you there. Black and White 1/2 were amazing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I will vehemently disagree with you there. Black and White 1/2 were amazing games.
    Problem is, the Nintendo Switch offers a lot of power. Botw turned out amazing because the team took a look at what it could do and decided to take it further. Even delaying it to get more in. Game Freak is limiting how much is in the upcoming games.

Personally, I am hoping for some more, awesome games on the switch. It seems to be able to have a lot on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Problem is, the Nintendo Switch offers a lot of power. Botw turned out amazing because the team took a look at what it could do and decided to take it further. Even delaying it to get more in. Game Freak is limiting how much is in the upcoming games.

Personally, I am hoping for some more, awesome games on the switch. It seems to be able to have a lot on it.
    I don't disagree with the rest of the Game Freak hate, I just think B&W 1/2 were good games lol

-snib-

• The pacing of the games have been increasingly bogged down with cutscenes, teleporting, which is antithetical to the exploration gameplay of the earlier titles, culminating in the mess that was Sun and Moon.
    • They have been adding fewer and fewer Pokemon with each generation. Remember when we got 130 to 150 new Pokemon with each new generation? Now we barely get 80.

Game Freak has realized that they can just do the bare minimum required (new region, some 60 new Pokemon, some semblance of story content to last 20 hours), ship it, and it will sell millions.
    I'm gonna do a little bit of a brown nosing about teleports with the age old adage of saying 'No' when they're prompted. I agree 'bout the cutscenes
    Funny thing about that, until XY came out GSC/HGSS held the record for the lowest amount of new mons.

The story, music, and the Pokemon themselves? Yes. The world design wasn't anywhere near Gen 3 or 4's, and we lost core features like contests, safari zone, and battle frontier (BW2 gave us the World Tournament which was great).

I don't disagree with the rest of the Game Freak hate, I just think B&W 1/2 were good games lol
    Agreed, they are on my favorites list.