Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The difference is that Sith ghosts are tied to objects they bind their soul to. Jedi ghosts are free to go where ever the Force.

Sith don't become part of the Force so they need an anchor to the world. Jedi give themselves to the Force, so they exist where the Force is.

The advantage of the Sith way is that they can be brought back.
    And there we go. Don't even need clones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Still waiting on luke to turn dark then I guess? Because he wore black in return of the jedi, the 3rd film of its run much like rise is.

And theres no way she picks up someone elses lightsaber in battle or uses whatever is around her like being trapped in a death star with Kylo Ren who might have some red lightsabers laying around for example
    Would be cool if she happens across vaders old blade somehow and uses that.

10+ Year Old Account
    yay new info

yay new teaser trailer or whatever on Monday
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    Would be cool if she happens across vaders old blade somehow and uses that.
    Lucas/Disney/whatever is good at covering lore back and forth. Two things they haven't addressed is how Anakin's (and I guess Vader's first) isn't red and what happened to Vader's final saber. I hope she gets Vaders crystals and that would explain why her saber is red (or Kylo has it and thats why his crystal is cracked).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    Bet she doesn't turn and the dark robes are call backs to Anakin and Luke.
    No, because everything she does is a callback. She completely lacks any personality

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Darth Vaders helmet has been possessed by Palpatine. which is why Ben speaks to it

- - - Updated - - -
    Now Imagine the movie ending with somebody, anybody, puting on the helmet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    No, because everything she does is a callback. She completely lacks any personality
    If by no personality you mean Luke with modern tropes and foresight then yes. TLJ is the most original thing about the trilogy in only that wiped out the good guys at the end of it. Even that's a bit of a stretch because the good guys were also kind of down and out in ESB. I a fan. I love the universe, but I'm confused by the 'SW is ruined' posts when the sequel trilogy is faithful to the OT.

5+ Year Old Account
    If by no personality you mean Luke with modern tropes and foresight then yes. TLJ is the most original thing about the trilogy in only that wiped out the good guys at the end of it. Even that's a bit of a stretch because the good guys were also kind of down and out in ESB. I a fan. I love the universe, but I'm confused by the 'SW is ruined' posts when the sequel trilogy is faithful to the OT.
    Yeah you are definitely confused. Let me explain. Also, this is to explain our side. This isn't to force you to dislike something you do.

Rey with modern tropes. Well modern trope in her case is minimal involvement in the story and no arc. TFA was about returning info on Luke to the resistance. That was originally Poe's job, but Finn took it up. Rey was just kinda along for the ride. She was also not involved in planning the attack on Starkiller Base as she was already imprisoned there. In TLJ while everyone was involved with the long chace, Rey was chilling with Luke and Chewie on Gesundheit and didn't connect with the main story till the last 20 minutes.
    Her arc...Idunno. Her motivation is.....finding her family I guess...and she searches for them by.....well she kinda doesn't do anything to get closer to them. Also her lightsaber, a reflection of her personal style and personality, is just Luke's old lightsaber. Not even the color crystal was changed.

Beside all these and Rey being super strong for no reason a key difference between TLJ and TESB is that in The Last Jedi a significant ammount of screentime is devoted to arcs that don't go anywhere. Like everything Poe or Finn does. Sure it may sound didactic, but the middle part of a trilogy can't just spend most of its time doing pointless stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    And there we go. Don't even need clones.
    Well, "brought back" as in put back into a body. They still need a body. There was a whole EU arc about Palps doing exactly that. I think there was *something something* his ghost was too evil *something something darksdie* that kept the plan from working right.

Lucas/Disney/whatever is good at covering lore back and forth. Two things they haven't addressed is how Anakin's (and I guess Vader's first) isn't red and what happened to Vader's final saber. I hope she gets Vaders crystals and that would explain why her saber is red (or Kylo has it and thats why his crystal is cracked).
    I guess it depends on which lore we're going with. If it's "old lore" she needs red crystals. If it's "Rebels era lore" any crystal can tortured until they turn evil. If it's something else, for all we know just falling to the dark side could make your saber turn red!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rey with modern tropes. Well, modern trope in her case is minimal involvement in the story and no arc. TFA was about returning info on Luke to the resistance. That was originally Poe's job, but Finn took it up. Rey was just kinda along for the ride. She was also not involved in planning the attack on Starkiller Base as she was already imprisoned there. In TLJ while everyone was involved with the long chase, Rey was chilling with Luke and Chewie on Gesundheit and didn't connect with the main story till the last 20 minutes.
    ANH: Luke is a young man on a desert planet tired of his desert life. A galactic conflict comes to his doorstep and he gets swept up into it. He learns he is 'special' but highly doubts himself. He ends up aboard an enemy ship and must escape their clutches. At the end of the movie, his mentor dies and he ends up in a pivotal space battle.

TFA: Rey is a young woman on a desert planet tired of her desert life. A galactic conflict comes to her doorstep and gets swept up into it. Along the way, she finds out that she is 'special' but highly doubts herself. She ends up on an enemy ship and must escape. At the end of the movie, her hero dies and she ends up part of a pivotal battle.

ESB: The Rebels are on the run. Luke goes off to train. Doesn't do so well. Returns to help his friends and stare down the Big Bad. Learns a thing about his lineage but doesn't like it. He loses his fight against the Big Bad but not before the Big Bad tries to get him to flip. The Rebels suffer a great defeat and must retreat to the outskirts of the galaxy to regroup. But there is still hope...

TLJ: The Rebels are on the run. Rey goes off to train. Doesn't go so well. She returns to help her friends and take down the Big Bad. She learns about her parents but doesn't like the answer. She fights the Big Bad but loses the fight, not before the Big Bad tries to get her to flip, though. The Resistance suffers heavy losses and must retreat to the outskirts of the galaxy to regroup. But there is still hope...

Where was Luke for the most of ESB? How was the Rebellion looking at the end, hell where were they? The movies mirror each other.

Besides all these and Rey being super strong for no reason a key difference between TLJ and TESB is that in The Last Jedi a significant amount of screentime is devoted to arcs that don't go anywhere. Like everything Poe or Finn does. Sure it may sound didactic, but the middle part of a trilogy can't just spend most of its time doing pointless stuff.
    [/QUOTE]

ESB and RotJ were full of elements that went nowhere and left the viewer with, 'well what about them?'. That's how we got the first EU. TPM is almost an entire movie that can be just thrown out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now Imagine the movie ending with somebody, anybody, puting on the helmet.

I've seen this somewhere before.

Maybe even twice.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I guess it depends on which lore we're going with. If it's "old lore" she needs red crystals. If it's "Rebels era lore" any crystal can tortured until they turn evil. If it's something else, for all we know just falling to the dark side could make your saber turn red!
    For people who dont know the lore:

Old canon - red crystals just meant that the crystals were synthetic. Dark side users didn't have access to the mines the crystals came from so they manufactured theirs. In some sources, the red crystals were also stronger.

New Disney Canon - Crystals are semi-sentient. Crystals bond with their user and reflect their actions. Red crystals are crystals that have been bled and tortured by their user. I believe the user has to murder someone to push the crystal to its breaking point. Red crystals can be purified, Ashoka's white crystals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Could be a red herring but it's also not impossible. Rey isn't a Skywalker after all unless they pull that out of their ass after laying it on thick Rey's parentage isn't special.
    This really doesn't make any sense. We know nothing about Rey's parents.

1> Kylo said she came from nothing, but how the hell would he know? Their minds are connected, but Rey doesn't know, so he can't know something she doesn't, that way. He was just being manipulative.
    2> Even if she did "come from nothing", so did Anakin. Plagueis was involved in that, it's entirely possible Palpatine was involved with Rey.
    3> She could be Luke's daughter. Timeline fits. Again, Kylo saying her parents were nobody isn't something you should pay any attention to; Kylo's just lying to screw with her.

In the end, we literally just know nothing. The one claim was by Kylo, who had no way to know anything about it, and every reason in that moment to lie, even if he did. She could be a nobody, empowered by the Force itself; that's what they thought had happened with Anakin. She could've been "created", as Anakin turned out to be. She could be part of a major bloodline and just not know it. Everything's on the table, nothing's been taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Just to tackle this, Rey was born 11 years after Palpatine died.
    Unless they pull some shit like 'Palpatine is so strong that he's trolling as a force ghost with full powers now', I don't see this plan coming together.
    If we accept at least The Old Republic MMO as "pseudo-canon", since it's relatively "new", the Emperor in there is able to pull off even crazier shit. Let's not pretend that this kind of stuff has no precedent in Star Wars lore.

For people who dont know the lore:

Old canon - red crystals just meant that the crystals were synthetic. Dark side users didn't have access to the mines the crystals came from so they manufactured theirs. In some sources, the red crystals were also stronger.

New Disney Canon - Crystals are semi-sentient. Crystals bond with their user and reflect their actions. Red crystals are crystals that have been bled and tortured by their user. I believe the user has to murder someone to push the crystal to its breaking point. Red crystals can be purified, Ashoka's white crystals.
    In regards to the new Disney Canon, did this prop up in the The Last Jedi? Or somewhere else within the lore after Disney acquisition of the franchise? But that sounds... weird.

As for old lore: I find it that old lore is a bit inconsistent. Maybe I am remembering the book wrong, or maybe Shadows of the Empire (book that takes place between ESB and ROTJ to coincide with an N64 Star Wars game with the same title) is just not canon. But I remember that book explaining how Luke had to synthesize a crystal for his new Light Saber. Then again, it's been years, I say, YEARS since I read it so it's possible that I am not remembering it correctly.

There must always be a Sith king.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    In regards to the new Disney Canon, did this prop up in the The Last Jedi? Or somewhere else within the lore after Disney acquisition of the franchise? But that sounds... weird.

As for old lore: I find it that old lore is a bit inconsistent. Maybe I am remembering the book wrong, or maybe Shadows of the Empire (book that takes place between ESB and ROTJ to coincide with an N64 Star Wars game with the same title) is just not canon. But I remember that book explaining how Luke had to synthesize a crystal for his new Light Saber. Then again, it's been years, I say, YEARS since I read it so it's possible that I am not remembering it correctly.
    New Canon info is from Clone Wars and the Ashoka book.

You're right about Luke's saber in the EU/Legends

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Syn...tsaber_crystal

A Synthetic lightsaber crystal, commonly referred to as a Synth-crystal, was a type of lightsaber crystal that was artificially created, rather than naturally formed by geological processes. Due to the methods used in their creation, they were often formed with a red coloration, though they could be made with any color through special manipulations of either the creation process or the crystal itself, often through the Force, such as the green synth-crystal that powered Luke Skywalker's second lightsaber.[3]

Jedis are murdering thousands of people too

5+ Year Old Account
    Looks like the D23 leaks were correct.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    For some reason a flip light saber seems endlessly silly to me.