Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    Blizzard listened to people like you when they made retail wow and lost 70% of their subscribers. The least you could do is let 70% have fun now that their game is back.
    [citation needed] on your 70% claim.

i still play, but what ive heard from others that stopped, is the slow gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Thraendil View Post
    It's not like anyone tried to hide that fact. It's not a bug, but the feature. Why did you try it if you knew you hated that stuff?
    Can't speak for him, but there was always that thought in the back of my head saying I might as well try it. There were quite a few people saying it was slow leveling and slow battles etc, but thats "the beauty" of classic or whatever. Figured I would see for myself and I can confidently say no thank you

On Tuesday i had 11 hours playing the game give or take and a bit more in queue or under the "world server is down" debuff.
    On Wednesday i had just under 6 hours with queues far fewer since i moved early from Pyrewood Village to Nethergarde Keep EN EU.
    On Thursday about 4 hours.
    On Friday i stopped, i did other things!
    Today i have allready 5 hours /played but there will be no more, i am traveling!
    And on my server, the lowest populated normal server, at 9 in the morning CEST, we had 50+ ppl on alliance side from level 5 to level 23 and plenty more at different ones!
    Cant imagine how many will be around during prime time later today!

Blizzard listened to people like you when they made retail wow and lost 70% of their subscribers. The least you could do is let 70% have fun now that their game is back.
    Ah yes, TBC and WotLK lost massive amounts of people and had absolutley no QoL-Changes, faster and more interesting battles (both PvE and PvP), way more interesting rotations/Talents, way better quest design or faster leveling.

I love how someone creates a thread asking why people stopped playing Classic...and when people answer, all the Classic fanboys dogpile them with insulting gibberish. What did you geniuses expect in a thread asking why people stopped, praise for your perfect game that has no problems whatsoever?

Just knowing that you people, and the trolls on the official forums, are in Classic is enough reason to not play it. The less garbage in my games, the better.

i had no lifed vanilla and reached the pinnacle there, I was the biggest vanilla fan boi for years, I wanted a vanilla server so bad so I tried a private server 2 years ago. haha the rose tinted glasses fell off around level 30, but I tried classic again got to lvl 3 and said "fuck this" I just don't have the time to grind levels anymore a few hours a day is all I have. even if I had all day I don't think I would do it, ive seen it all before.

Op posts a topic asking why people that quit did so.

Classicucks swarm the thread with their screeching.

Never change my friends

some guy on bfa told me classic currently has 1.3 million players lol.

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    Why did you stop playing classic?
    Craig, Chase, Luke and Jeff all agreed we would level together.

Jeff fell in love with our new guild leader after we had to leave the guild we were in for a year. So because he was in love with her, and perhaps she loved him back, we had to stay of Herod. Which as you all know has the worst Q times.

I was probably the least likly to enjoy the Classic grind. I truly think if you want a challenging wow experience you should grind M+ or try and progress in raids.

A lot of people think retail is to easy. I disagree, lets see how many pulls it takes Method to down Rag, we'll compare and know the truth.

The challenge in Classic is grinding to 60, and because everyone embraced the challenge, and because Jeff smells poon, we were trapped on Herod.

I don't want to use team viewer to log in early, or avoid AFK macro's, so I spent more time this first week looking at log in server than playing the game. I'm sure most of us who actually follow the rules did.

Game play is the same in either game, I don't play with crappy graphics.

Although I can't for the life of me get Classic to move to my 2nd monitor, it crashes every time.

My hope is Jeff doesn't get his heart broken.
    My hope is I find it inside myself to keep the grind going.

My hope is we come out of classic still friends.

I know it is unlikely all those things happen.

Hi. I'm a guy who plays Classic.

I'm here to tell the retail babies present. Hey, it's ok. Classic isnt for everyone. it IS a boring and tedious slog, the QoL additions that WoW made throughout the years really were fine and some of them really added to the game. Do I miss them playing classic? sure. They were refinements that made a product better. Now that Im playing classic though I find that I did miss some of the slog. Every mob pull is a gamble of survival, the questing is more freeform and sandboxy, without phasing cross server, or dungeon finder, classic has a better feeling of community that even at this early juncture is already starting to grow.

The game is a little harder, and it had it's problems that come from being an unrefined product, but I'm enjoying myself. Not all of the QoL features you miss were bad, but they werent part of the "Classic" experience. Personally I hope that Blizzard takes lessons from both to make an even better expac later. Lets not hold our breath though; the old girl aint what she used to be and she doesnt put out the same quality she used to.

The Classic Elitists here who are ragging on you arent better in any sense of the word. They're just loud and obnoxious people who are acting like playing Classic means something special because it harkens back to a point in their life when they could waste 8 to 9 hours a day adventuring instead of living out the tedium of what is probably a very mediocre life. Even that is probably falling short now that they have adult lives and get maybe 4 to 5 hours tops to play if they're single.

The moral of the story is for you to keep bein you, baby.
    Last edited by raz98; 2019-08-31 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raz98 View Post
    Hi. I'm a guy who plays Classic.

I'm here to tell the retail babies present. Hey, it's ok. Classic isnt for everyone. it IS a boring and tedious slog, the QoL additions that WoW made throughout the years really were fine and some of them really added to the game. Do I miss them playing classic? sure. They were refinements that made a product better. Now that Im playing classic though I find that I did miss some of the slog. Every mob pull is a gamble of survival, the questing is more freeform and sandboxy, without phasing cross server, or dungeon finder, classic has a better feeling of community that even at this early juncture is already starting to grow.

The game is a little harder, and it had it's problems that come from being an unrefined product, but I'm enjoying myself. Not all of the QoL features you miss were bad, but they werent part of the "Classic" experience. Personally I hope that Blizzard takes lessons from both to make an even better expac later. Lets not hold our breath though; the old girl aint what she used to be and she doesnt put out the same quality she used to.

The Classic Elitists here who are ragging on you arent better in any sense of the word. They're just loud and obnoxious people who are acting like playing Classic means something special because it harkens back to a point in their life when they could waste 8 to 9 hours a day adventuring instead of living out the tedium of what is probably a very mediocre life. Even that is probably falling short now that they have adult lives and get maybe 4 to 5 hours tops to play if they're single.

The moral of the story is for you to keep bein you, baby.
    I like your post

Logged in right now in classic, and I have to say one of the most frustrating things so far has been the drop rate on quest items. Fuck you, Skittering Blood. So there you are, killing spider number 20 (and you have 1 out of 6 Skittering blood). This isn't hard, it's just annoying, especially when you have other spiders spawning on top of you
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    I like your post

Logged in right now in classic, and I have to say one of the most frustrating things so far has been the drop rate on quest items. Fuck you, Skittering Blood. So there you are, killing spider number 20 (and you have 1 out of 6 Skittering blood). This isn't hard, it's just annoying, especially when you have other spiders spawning on top of you
    Managed to get a whole level worth xp from killing cougars for 6 paws

The fact that queues are not slowing down. I would not expect this thread to pop up this early. And im not surprised over how the replies turned out.

I really enjoy the game but unless I'm playing at 4 am every single inch of every zone is overcamped with people wanding for 10 miles away to tag the mob that I'd like to stealth behind and garrote. Honestly, this ISN'T the authentic Classic experience - I started on a hugely popular server in Vanilla on day 1 and while it was pretty nuts on launch night, it normalized out over the next couple days where me and my buddies were leisurely romping through quests while encountering handfuls of other players. It was busy and active, but nowhere near this insanity.

Thinking of just holding off for a month or two after the internet hype train has cooled off and I can play normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Nothing grows forever. To be bad it should had gone down, but it didn't, it was the only expansion that had both maximum number of subscribers and an incredible stability of the player base. It was the pinnacle of WoW.
    The pinnacle of wow? lol please never run a business. Growth drop by 2-3 millions by year and this guy calls it the pinnacle. Im dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Most of the QoL changes happened in late TBC and in Wrath, which is where the sub numbers peaked.

To say that ALL of the QoL changes happened around MoP and WoD is a lie.
    TBC was great, it is WoTLK that crashed the game. Both Vanilla and TBC had a subscribers growth of 2-3 millions per year. WoTLK is the expac that killed the momentum. And most QoL got introduced in this expac.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Or people just moved on to other games. WoW was what Fortnite is today. It was THE game to play. Then people moved in to LoL or whatever it was.
    look at the graph again. The subs kept growing even till the end of TBC and stopped shortly after WoTLK got released.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    Why do classic players always act like things taking a ton of time (artificially, even) equals difficulty? There is nothing difficult or exciting about something taking longer to accomplish. And a lot of players (the ones who won't stay in Classic) have grown out of this. Myself included. I simply don't care about the levelling phase anymore, and why should I, when I have levelled countless toons in countless contents already and played since YEARS in endgame. Retail has much harder dungeons (M+) and raids (Mythic, probably HC as well already). WoW does not consist solely of the levelling phase. Levelling is something you get behind yourself to be able to play the really cool stuff. And for this audience, Classic is just inferior to Retail. Some just haven't realized it yet. But they will.
    I always get the impression that Classic fans are somehow overly focussed on the levelling phase when they probably shouldn't, however I get that very casual players tend to never grow out of the levelling phase. Like a colleague of mine, he's fond of Classic. What did he do in Retail? Level a shitton of toons, never did anything in endgame, he isn't even able to... everything above heroic dungeons is too extreme for him. He also never raids except a tiny bit of LFR. This seems to be the ideal Classic audience. Maybe these kinds of players are very numerous. I don't know. I thought it's the other way around. But maybe it isn't.
    The problem is exactly like you described in your paragraph. Retail is just about end game. Get max level in a week. 1-2 weeks you have gear good enough to get invited in a heroic/mythic guild. Log in every tuesday/thursday 6-10pm to do the raids. Everyday you log in 1h to do your stupid homeworks of daily quests, gather potions, food, weekly mythic+. After you kill the first 3-4 mythic boss, your guild face a wall where you need to wipe for 8hours before killing the next mythic boss. This is torture.
    In vanilla, everything you do is a satisfying challenge. The professions, some dungeons, get the 2 handed axe at level 30, survive stranglethorn, WPVP, make money to afford your spells...

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Removing RPG elements and character building from your game, and masking them as "quality of life" changes is a big reason the hardcore mmorpg fan quit. That and age.

Classic WoW came out and became the biggest MMO of all time. BFA might not even be at 1/5th the population of the game at that time. Obviously not literally everyone will come back, but if you think this popularity is solely because of the novelty, you're mistaken.
    WoW became as big as it did because, among other things, it was the casual alternative to the other MMOs. WoW was a perfect storm of timing, interesting popular franchise to back it up, ease of use, and other things. When that perfect storm situation moved on the game began to shrink down to what it would have been from the beginning if not for those perfection conditions. WoW's early success was an anomoloy and not something that could be sustained.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I bought BfA when it came out with gold, but never played it until last week.

When name reservation came up, I re-subbed, and thought I'd level up my main to 120 to see the content while waiting for classic to come. And here is the problem. It took me something like 15 hours to level up to 120, and then I beat the game with only 18 hours /played at level 120.

Not that I have done that much, but I did the weekly quest for the 4 mythics (up to +4), cleared all the dungeons (I had done some during leveling) and cleared the LFR once. I am now ilevel 406, and saw all the content. Without talking to a single person. Ever.

What else is there to do? Re-do the same thing, with increasing difficulty, but with better gear?

That's what is wrong with retail. It is a single player game, that you can never finish. There is no sense of accomplishment, or finish line. It's a shower of epic items, but with different ilevel, so you can never really be happy or done with what you got.

I am really enjoying classic right now, but I will admit that it is a long grind, and it certainly is not as interesting as retail in terms of what you character can do. But at least I get to talk to people, ask for help, interact with others, and when I get to lvl60, I can look up what I need/want to do and set myself some goals.

10+ Year Old Account
    The pinnacle of wow? lol please never run a business. Growth drop by 2-3 millions by year and this guy calls it the pinnacle. Im dead.

- - - Updated - - -

TBC was great, it is WoTLK that crashed the game. Both Vanilla and TBC had a subscribers growth of 2-3 millions per year. WoTLK is the expac that killed the momentum. And most QoL got introduced in this expac.
    It was a lot more complex than that and has to do with the industry as a whole. People seem to believe that WoW operates in a vacuum, not affected by games outside of other MMO's. While this was the case back then, and when it had the most growth, now almost every game on the market has a "keep on playing" design. Back then most games were one and done, so people would always have WoW to come back to. Now? WoW has to compete for time with every other game on the market, and with less QoL it would fare much worse in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    I bought BfA when it came out with gold, but never played it until last week.

When name reservation came up, I re-subbed, and thought I'd level up my main to 120 to see the content while waiting for classic to come. And here is the problem. It took me something like 15 hours to level up to 120, and then I beat the game with only 18 hours /played at level 120.

Not that I have done that much, but I did the weekly quest for the 4 mythics (up to +4), cleared all the dungeons (I had done some during leveling) and cleared the LFR once. I am now ilevel 406, and saw all the content. Without talking to a single person. Ever.

What else is there to do? Re-do the same thing, with increasing difficulty, but with better gear?

That's what is wrong with retail. It is a single player game, that you can never finish. There is no sense of accomplishment, or finish line. It's a shower of epic items, but with different ilevel, so you can never really be happy or done with what you got.

I am really enjoying classic right now, but I will admit that it is a long grind, and it certainly is not as interesting as retail in terms of what you character can do. But at least I get to talk to people, ask for help, interact with others, and when I get to lvl60, I can look up what I need/want to do and set myself some goals.
    Just because you got through things without talking to a single person ever doesn't mean that is the blanket experience for the expansion. For years people clambered for ways that solo players could be able to have progression content and feel rewarded, and the answer was having multiple routes for people to be able to competitively gear up. There's always something to do. You can do this in a group, you can do it solo. You have the choice to group up and talk to people, you just didn't.