View Poll Results: Lockboxes - should rogues be allowed to roll "need" in a PUG dungeon group?

Voters
585. This poll is closed
  • Yes

132 22.56%
  • No

453 77.44%
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Locked chests are rogue property.
    Getting to the locked chest is a team effort. So the team should roll for the loot.

The same for bosses, you wont down the boss without a healer, you wont down it without a tank, and you wont down it without enough dps.

Everyone has a key role to fill. Trying to capitalize on it should be a swift removal from the group for the person trying to take advantage.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Getting to the herb node is a team effort. So the team should roll for the loot.
    fixed that

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    the end result is the same unless you expect an engi or BS and other professions to share their nodes with you, dont expect rogue to do the same
    THe end result is not quite the same. THe Engineer and the BS used a crafted item to open that chest...it cost them something. It cost the rogue nothing.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It cost the rogue nothing.
    it cost time, same as any other profession

Not even close to the same amount of time and effort it takes to level a profession.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

It is not a profession though. Rogues dont have to choose between leatherworking and lockpicking.

fixed that
    Well, the herbs cant drop a krolblade... But tbh i would be for rolling on veins/herbs aswell. The game doesnt support other ppl looting those thou, so harder to implement.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

I feel everyone should roll need on lockboxes, that solves that problem quite nicely.

As for locked chests, if only the Rogue can open it I see no moral issues with them getting the contents. If there's more people able to open chests they should roll to open it. As the other party members would not have been able to open this bonus chest without the rogue or Engineer present I don't see how they miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    My rule is always to let the rogue keep what is in the chest except for BoE greens/blues/purples. Those just get a standard /roll.

To the people saying if the rogue wasn't there the chest would never be opened: if the rest of the party wasn't there the rogue would never be able to get there to open it. You're a party and should work together.
    Me and my druid friend occasionally sneak past entire dungeons, so yes if I can sneak past them I can get the chest too.

Let’s not act like rogues actually need to fight to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpharius View Post
    Me and my druid friend occasionally sneak past entire dungeons, so yes if I can sneak past them I can get the chest too.

Let’s not act like rogues actually need to fight to get there.
    You can get to the box...but the mobs you pull when you try to open it complicate the scenario a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Guess then rouges are not entitled to my healings, tanking, buffs, food, summons, portals.

Strange, i thought 5 man instances are about teamwork, every class/role lending their abilities to a common goal. Guess i was wrong.
    do you roll for every ore deposit or herb in the dungeon too? do you split gold for dungeon class quests that other classes can't access? do you demand your share of the disenchanted mats from someone who replaced an item in the dungeon? do you pool gold together for hunter that had to pay for his ammo? no? then locked chests are rogue nodes.

before you ask: No. I play mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Really? You specifically brought a Rogue only for the chests? Did you explain that to the Rogue and establish loot rules for such an invite, or do you just change your reasoning because it suits your current narrative?

- - - Updated - - -
    No, I would definitely not invite a rogue only for chests, same I would not invite a mage only for water, or int buff. I think it's fair to put that extra info on lockbox/chests in the loot rule macro. But good luck being an ass about it on a server where your reputation matters.

Everything takes time. What it doesn't cost a rogue is: anything else. In fact they are often paid for it.

I am a rogue and I voted NO.

In my group I would definitely say everybody should roll for it equally. I would even open it for the person who then won it.

I also tell people to roll for the locked chests inside dungeons. Then I unlock it so the person who won the roll can loot the chest.
    Last edited by Kaver; 2019-09-09 at 11:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Explain why.
    Because its a part of the class fantasy to be a stingy low life who pick pockets and back stabs?

I mean i play it like a real rogue and say i dont have the skill to pick a locked chest, only to come back after the dungeon is clear to claim my reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You can get to the box...but the mobs you pull when you try to open it complicate the scenario a bit.
    distract, sap etc

you have the tools to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Everything takes time. What it doesn't cost a rogue is: anything else. In fact they are often paid for it.
    anything else is time as well, if i as a BS spend my time farming mats for key, it the same as rogue spending time rising his lockpick

anything else is time as well
    That's literally what I just said.
    if i as a BS spend my time farming mats for key, it the same as rogue spending time rising his lockpick
    Incorrect. It's not the same. A rogue can stand still in a city and get paid to level lockpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Lockboxes and Chests aren't exclusive Rogue property.

first week had a Rogue walk to a locked chest in SFK and open it, loot everything, some really nice BOE Blue dropped. Needless to say everyone was mad at him. He said "if its locked its mine".

We went on without him.
    Tbf, when they do open it, it auto loots to them unless they run before the loot table appears. However, saying since it was locked it's his, is wrong.

I'm of the opinion that if the rogue is in the group, they are obligated to let the rest roll on it as if it was a normal chest. I am a damn good tank, if you want to stay in my group, you roll like the rest of us. If not, DPS are a dime a dozen and they can try to get through a dungeon with a tank who literally doesn't know that they should use sunder armor.

Also, one of the people I play with regularly is a rogue, my other friend and I tell him constantly to "do the right thing" when it comes to dropped lockboxes and chests and help the group. He wanted to charge people in our group to open their lockboxes. They are in our party and should be treated as if they were our friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always share everything because i could really care less. That said to people saying "Ah i would kick the rogue INSTANTLY" what if they just say "sorry not high enough skill" and come back on their own? I know some people are trying to complicate with "but the mobs!" But a rogue can just refuse to open.