Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    https://www.insidegamer.nl/artikel/i...word-en-shield Article about Sword and Shield. Ohmori confirms that the national dex won't be coming back at all.
    Thought this was known a while back, unless I am confusing that with some other Sword and Shield controversy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Thought this was known a while back, unless I am confusing that with some other Sword and Shield controversy.
    It was known that they removed it for Sword and Shield but he confirmed it ain't coming back for future gens unless something changes.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Same. Theres no way this isn't some 'sell the beta build now, release a finished product to double dip later'. The people going "yeah it looks like the worst production quality of any nintendo game on the switch, but its pokemon so i gotta buy it" boggles my mind. But then again i'm a huge Silent Hill fan so i've already seen where the brand loyalty drone lack of quality control road leads.
    At this point fan made pokemon games have more care and thought put into them. Pokemon Reborn is a fanmade game with 807 included.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    oh yeah theres tons of solutions. this is just my opinion in the end, i just prefer closed games. new gen to me should be new pokemon, no carry overs from previous games. This means each new gen could have different move sets, different pokemon sets, different balancing. That is something i personally, would prefer. But i get why others wouldnt.
    Closed games don't make sense, the whole brand and idea of Pokemon is to "Catch em all" and trading is a mainstay in the series, it's probably what keeps many players playing all these years, because they are building towards something that moves forward. Each gen already has difference balancing and new moves, and if they wanted to eliminate overpowered Pokemon from competitive play or limit competitive to current gen Pokemon they can build something around that (like how card games have an open game and a current cards game).

Competitive is probably secondary to "catch em all" anyway, most players probably never participate in it. One of their reasons to dump the National Dex was due to making all the models, but it's been confirmed that many Pokemon in the new games use models from the 3DS games (don't have new models) so that's a lie. Whatever their reasons they are trying to fob off a lower effort lower quality game, I'm guessing they worked on a limited budget with a small team because how else do you explain the laziness? National Dex is only one of the many issues that you could boil down to laziness or incompetence.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Closed games don't make sense, the whole brand and idea of Pokemon is to "Catch em all" and trading is a mainstay in the series, it's probably what keeps many players playing all these years, because they are building towards something that moves forward. Each gen already has difference balancing and new moves, and if they wanted to eliminate overpowered Pokemon from competitive play or limit competitive to current gen Pokemon they can build something around that (like how card games have an open game and a current cards game).

Competitive is probably secondary to "catch em all" anyway, most players probably never participate in it. One of their reasons to dump the National Dex was due to making all the models, but it's been confirmed that many Pokemon in the new games use models from the 3DS games (don't have new models) so that's a lie. Whatever their reasons they are trying to fob off a lower effort lower quality game, I'm guessing they worked on a limited budget with a small team because how else do you explain the laziness? National Dex is only one of the many issues that you could boil down to laziness or incompetence.
    Not to mention they dont have Satoru Ivata anymore to keep them in line. Since he was the person that did the storage coding. (wich also explains the issues with ultra sun and moon duplicate character models in files)

And yes pvp was always secondary, but gota catch them all is the 1.st one.

While some of the problems people are pointing out are deal breakers all on their own, one sticks out to me as a serious "what the fuck were they thinking?" level stupidity.

Not being able to catch pokemon above a certain level unless you have a gym badge for the area? Like... WHY?!

15+ Year Old Account
    While some of the problems people are pointing out are deal breakers all on their own, one sticks out to me as a serious "what the fuck were they thinking?" level stupidity.

Not being able to catch pokemon above a certain level unless you have a gym badge for the area? Like... WHY?!
    Its so you dont get a level 60 before the first gym. sure it beats the point of the area but its no different than other games

That isn't any different then games before it.

Its to keep you from getting lets say a level 60 pokemon when you haven't even fought the level 10 Gym Leader. With older games it was gated as well but in different ways, Like needing HM's to pass a area and so on.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Its so you dont get a level 60 before the first gym. sure it beats the point of the area but its no different than other games
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That isn't any different then games before it.

Its to keep you from getting lets say a level 60 pokemon when you haven't even fought the level 10 Gym Leader. With older games it was gated as well but in different ways, Like needing HM's to pass a area and so on.
    Except this isn't stopping people running out and catching a level 60 pokemon at level 10, it's stopping people from catching level 11 pokemon at level 10 because they don't have the level 10 badge.

Gating is how it has always worked and it worked better because it was part of exploration (though some gates were infuriating at times...).

15+ Year Old Account
    Except this isn't stopping people running out and catching a level 60 pokemon at level 10, it's stopping people from catching level 11 pokemon at level 10 because they don't have the level 10 badge.

Gating is how it has always worked and it worked better because it was part of exploration (though some gates were infuriating at times...).
    Frankly with how easy theyre supposed to be i dont think thats a bad thing

I do. If a wild pokemon appears in front of me I should be able to catch it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do. If a wild pokemon appears in front of me I should be able to catch it.
    Then just play blaze black or something.

I can't believe an item that is required in order to adjust the game's music volume:

1) Actually exists
    2) Is locked behind a late game random NPC

Who the hell is designing these games? How would any game developer, indie or not, think this is a good design decision? It baffles me the way GF operates.

Replicating the quintessential Bongland experience of needing a loisence for something completely mundane.

Game freak made another shitty/lazy game? No waaay...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese Bootlickers View Post
    Replicating the quintessential Bongland experience of needing a loisence for something completely mundane.
    If that were the actual reasoning I would say it's a clever (but still very bad) idea.

I'm not saying IGN reviewers are full of shit...

...but IGN reviewers might be full of shit.

1 word describes how bad it is. Shiny.

I would be miffed if I saw one that was 1 level above my badge, yet I couldn't catch it. Defeats the entire purpose of exploration and makes you want to avoid any wild pokemon in the chance you find something really good, but catch get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I hope the endless crying about the new Pokemon never goes away. Adults acting like children about this has been the best thing about it.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I hope the endless crying about the new Pokemon never goes away. Adults acting like children about this has been the best thing about it.
    Because voicing your criticism makes you a child right? The game is legitimately bad. Combine it with their last game, Little Town Hero, it shows that the development team at gamefreak is not that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I'm not saying IGN reviewers are full of shit...

...but IGN reviewers might be full of shit.
    man... that's really weird.
    I thought they might give it an 8.5 or something, imo it shouldn't really be 9+ and i say that as a pokemon fan since they first started and someone that will play shield asap and have a very high chance of liking it.
    Dragon Quest really should not lose to Pokemon unless it COMPLETELY fucks up, it's too much of an RPG behemoth and has SO MUCH content and love into it, you couldn't really compare the two and say "yeah, pokemon is objectively better".
    There's only one thing where they both are really alike, and that is that both never really strayed away from their core formula and are "basically always the same", Dragon Quest definitely caught up to modernizing it, while not losing itself or alienating any of their longtime fans