Page 1 of 24
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

Bastion is the real hell

So during this preview we learn a lot about how Bastion as an afterlife operates.

When a soul is sent there it loses it’s form.
    That form is then reshaped into a Kyrian.
    The memories of the old soul are torn out. Family, friends, enemies, trauma. Everything that made them who they are is forgotten.
    They become a fully fledged Kyrian, their old mind and body gone forever. The Kyrians basically destroy the souls and identities of mortals in order to reproduce.

Case in point, we see a Tauren who has 'ascended' to become a Blue Human.

We then 'help' him by banishing the memories of his comrades in arms, friends and family. Essentially turning him into a blank slate, destroying all that he was and condemning him to an afterlife as somebody he isn't.

Now this would make a fascinating dystopian afterlife. But that's not how it's portrayed. This is portrayed in an entirely positive light and the player is -forced- to help the Kyrians defile the souls of those unfortunate enough to be sent to Bastion. The Kyrians even admit that they'd do the same to the player if their physical form wasn't keeping them tethered to who they really are, and the player character just seems to be fine with that?

This is during the leveling experience, so it's not even covenant-exclusive stuff.

What the fuck Blizzard?

EDIT: New info

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Step_Back_...dge,_My_Friend

Talking to Eridia

Such an intensive cleansing may require your martial expertise.

Are you prepared to aid me?

Gossip Yes, Eridia.
    Eridia says: Hold this burden in your mind, Acolytte, so the Vesper may cleanse it.
    Acolyte Nikolon says: I can see her... must I let her go?

Five Nikolon's Uncertainties appear.

Eridia says: For eons we hve cultivated the Aspirants in our care. Trust in the process.
    Acolyte Nikolon says: Her memory is a gift! It will allow me to serve you better!

Three Nikolon's Distrusts appear.

Eridia says: You will see her face in those you must serve. Let her go, Acolyte.
    Acolyte Nikolon says: There must be another way!

Two Nikolon's Doubts appear.

Eridia says: She is still to near to you. In time, we can try again.
    Acolyte Nikolon says: There will never be enough time. Never!

Nikolon's Dispair appears.

Acolyte Nikolon says: I will... not... let you... take her! Not ever!
    Eridia says: Acolyte! No!

Acolyte Nikolon becomes Fallen Acolyte Nikolon.

Talking to Fallen Acolyte Nikolon

<The Acolyte breathes heavily.>

This is... I am...

Gossip Are you well?
    Fallen Acolyte Nikolon says: If this is truly the only way, then I will find another.
    Fallen Acolyte Nikolon says: You will cast me out for this. I have seen it before.
    Eridia says: You are beyond our aid, now. You must leave the temple. Go before you are seen.
    Fallen Acolyte Nikolon says: Know this, Eridia. I am not alone.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2019-12-22 at 09:37 PM.

We are the blue man group. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

I'd wager we'll see some slight changes to the lore as we get closer to release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Man, is this the heaven saurfang, baine and shandris were trying to get to?

Goodness, I can't imagine why these particular writers would suggest giving up individuality in favor of a collective... a commune even... is a positive thing. If only we had some idea of how they thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Goodness, I can't imagine why these particular writers would suggest giving up individuality in favor of a collective... a commune even... is a positive thing. If only we had some idea of how they thought.
    I dunno, maybe same reason why we got teary eyed apology this blizzcon for "something"?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post

We then 'help' him by banishing the memories of his comrades in arms, friends and family. Essentially turning him into a blank slate, destroying all that he was and condemning him to an afterlife as somebody he wasn't.

What the fuck Blizzard?
    Felt the need to make that boldened change. Not like you can still be the same after becoming a true blank slate (do we call it brainwashing if it's far more effective than we know of IRL and we know that it is in the soul?). I made that distinction because for the people after the process, they truly are "someone else" in as far as that expression makes sense I think.

I do agree with the dafuck reaction at treating it as a positive thing. Best dystopias are the ones that people treat as utopias.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also daily reminder - sylvanas spared thousands of souls from fate of becoming blue high-potential. Now this is moral grey reveal we were all waiting for.

Eh, for some people, that's what they want. To each their own.

Interesting way to perceive what is considered "hell." I've often said to people who believe in heaven from an atheist's point of view that heaven, ahem, is boring. This idea comes from the point of view that conflict is the fabric of our existence. Without pain, there is no pleasure, without sorrow, no joy, etc. Can you imagine living an ETERNAL afterlife in a place where you're happy all the time? I mean, it sounds good with the every day annoyances, jobs, etc. we have to deal with, but is a spiritual eternal happy life what most of us would really enjoy? It's not like heaven has movie theaters, bike riding, roads for cruising, basketball courts, internet, board games, etc. Don't you get annoyed when you're around people who are overly peppy all the time?

How does this tie into your point? The Kyrians appear to lead an overly orderly existence/afterlife. Everything is preordained and predetermined. You have no choice apparently, to keep your mortal memories, and why? Is it to make you a better Kyrian so you can help others make that transition to enlightenment? I can see why you'd view Bastion as hell when it forsakes everything that makes you, you. That includes everything you learned through life, all of your experiences, good or bad, that shaped you into someone worthy of Bastion to begin with, only... to lose it all? Is it worth it? It means the life you lived is meaningless, like a standardized testy you pass to get to the next grade, or get a job. Except when you pass the test of life to become enlightened, you lose EVERYTHING.

I'd pass too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Also daily reminder - sylvanas spared thousands of souls from fate of becoming blue high-potential. Now this is moral grey reveal we were all waiting for.
    That moment when you go "oh shit, those fuckers pulled it off. Motherf--"

Morally grey 2.0.

"I'm locked in a screaming dark BDSM tower for all eternity in pain and suffering, but at least I have my memories! "

My theory is that Bastion is really heaven for the Taurens. Now Baine and his people can look more like Anduin and his people. May the Earth Mother bless this afterlife.

Case in point, we see a Tauren who has 'ascended' to become a Blue Human.
    so warcraft heaven is .. literally turning into a human (if you werent one) ?

I'll take the Maw any day over this. At least I'll get to see the baddest, most evil, and powerful characters across the multiverse there.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    "I'm locked in a screaming dark BDSM tower for all eternity in pain and suffering, but at least I have my memories! "
    What it worse, to be in pain or to be nothing at all? It’s interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    My theory is that Bastion is really heaven for the Taurens. Now Baine and his people can look more like Anduin and his people. May the Earth Mother bless this afterlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    so warcraft heaven is .. literally turning into a human (if you werent one) ?

This really reminds me of that "heaven" scene from boondocks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    What it worse, to be in pain or to be nothing at all? It’s interesting.
    I will take van darkholme over bastion of potential any day of week.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd still prefer that to becoming a shambling corpse in Maldraxxus...

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is happening everywhere, except maybe in Revendreth, because it is only a transitory place. However, the souls who are becoming Venthyrs are probably losing their previous identities as well.

As I said in another thread, it reminds me of the afterlife in D&D, at least in Forgotten Realms. The souls are stripped of their memories and transformed into an angel, archon, devil or demon, etc.

And I suppose buddhists or hindu do not consider that afterlife "hellish." Individuality is not such a big value for those religions.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Anduin is probably the literal Jesus, not just a metaphorical one

Man, is this the heaven saurfang, baine and shandris were trying to get to?
    Shouldn't Shandris want to get to the hippie reincarnation forest like all the tree elves?

Bastion to me looks like the place where people dedicated to "the light" go and as we know from the Yrel's story light doesn't always play nice.