Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah it depends, I would never charge someone I know nor family something like rent. Because I am going to assume that if they do need to live with me there something going on where they have no other choice.

Also considering my friends are of good character and the only family I would ever associate are the same. No especially my kids. taking care of loved ones should be an obligation one enjoys, being to help out and allow them to take advantage to better themselves.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    If the house still has a mortgage that $400 could be going towards that. If it's a big issue with you he can always just evict you and get a real renter in there that would pay probably well north of $1k/mo.

I'm not sure. I think like paying for half of the mortgage/taxes, whatever that amounts to would be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm not sure. I think like paying for half of the mortgage/taxes, whatever that amounts to would be fair.
    If his dad doesn't even live there, why should he be expected to split the taxes ?

What's fair would be to pay something approaching the amount his dad could get for renting the unoccupied property to someone else... who would buy their own food and pay their own bills without some sort of presumption that their landlord should be providing room & board.

Since he says he wants to save up for his own place, why not try and enter into some sort of rent to own agreement with his dad ?

Unless he just doesn't really like the house in the first place, in which case... well, it kinda falls on him to find and pay for a place he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talk to dad. We don't know you or him.

What would he do with the house if you weren't living there? Chances are he'd be making money on it (either renting or selling it), so it seems fair that you cover the loss, but we don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What kind of parent would make their daughter or son pay rent? Can't really have a good relationship with them if they do that.
    Yeah you can. I live at home and pay rent, and am in a perfectly fine situation with my parents.

I can afford to pay it, and it's still way less than I'd pay anywhere else, so I can still save up a large amount.

Up to the property's owner, which in this case is your old man. He could charge you nothing or everything, that's entity up to him.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I stopped reading at 33 years old. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    Okay, so.. I'm 33 years old, and live in my dad's house (who doesn't live here). I pay all the bills (water, electricity, internet, trash collecting, etc), buy my own food and order / pay for propane and heating oil when it needs to be replenished.. I also pay my dad 400 / month on top of that as a form of rent, eventhough he doesn't really need to worry about anything in regards to the house in terms of basic payments that you'd expect from owning / living in a home.

Recently, as I'm currently in the process of buying something of my own, I've been questioning if it's "fair" for me to spend that 400 / month on my dad instead of saving it and adding more money to my "own house fund".. What do you guys / girls think?
    Yes, it's fair that you pay rent to live in your dad's house. Depending on where you live he could probably get much, much more than that from another renter.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of parent would make their daughter or son pay rent? Can't really have a good relationship with them if they do that.
    Most parents in western society would charge their 33 year old son or daughter at least a little bit of rent. Most 33 year olds living in their parents house would understand that. Maybe it's different where you are...but this is entirely normal around here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    There aren't many markets in the US where property tax is that high, but that's a valid concern I suppose. I don't charge my elderly mother rent or taxes when she stays with me though, just not in my nature to nickle and dime loved ones, but I do know it's not unusual among Americans to be like that with money.
    Temporarily staying with family while visiting is one thing. Actually living in their house rent-free is another thing entirely. I wouldn't charge my brother to stay in my house if he came up for a visit. If he decided to live in my house full time...that would be something different.

His father could rent that house out to other people and make far more than the $400 a month he's currently charging his kid.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, though, a parent willing to charge their kids rent should probably expect similar treatment if they ever find themselves needing a helping hand from their child though too and shouldn't be expecting handouts when the time comes for aged care, retirement homes, etc.
    To be fair, those parents already spent 18 years providing for their kids.

Also, this does not seem to be a "kid needs a helping hand" situation.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-01-05 at 04:39 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    @Eronath: Any chance you can get your dad to post here? I'd love to hear his side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    To be fair, those parents already spent 18 years providing for their kids.

Also, this does not seem to be a "kid needs a helping hand" situation.
    To be fair, I've seen how a lot of Americans raise their kids, and I'm not surprised they're abandoned in their old age.

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind and whatnot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Fer reals. I know that if—for whatever reason—I lose my house, my parents would be thrilled if I moved back with them, and they’d never ask for a cent. Any of my brothers and my cousin would do he same. And I’d do the same for any of them. They’re family, id never ask them for rent.
    It's culture, bruh. Not one culture per se, but I think Old World cultures are generally much more focused on family sticking together, rather than just cashing in against everyone they can. I used to wonder if it's just Anglo and to a lesser degree Germanic cultures that weren't like that, but I don't think so, it seems to be pretty unique to throw your kids to the wolves at 18 and pull up the drawbridge behind them.

100% fair. The fact you find it unfair speaks a lot of your character.

To be fair, I've seen how a lot of Americans raise their kids, and I'm not surprised they're abandoned in their old age.

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind and whatnot.
    Most people aren't that bad when dealing with their parents in their old age. As long as you weren't actually abusive you've got a pretty good chance that your kids will help you out when you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

Most parents in western society would charge their 33 year old son or daughter at least a little bit of rent. Most 33 year olds living in their parents house would understand that. Maybe it's different where you are...but this is entirely normal around here.
    I don't know a single person that lives with parents, like me, who pay their parents rent. I'm expected to help out with chores and such things and that's it. I get food for free as well if I eat what my mother cooks, if I don't want that I'll have to buy something myself.

Living with your parents until you're married is common. If a parent would charge their son/daughter, they'd probably have a pretty bad relationship and the parent couldn't expect any help as they grow old.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-01-05 at 08:36 AM.

I'd never charge my child rent, especially if I were incurring no costs on the house anyway since said child also paid the bills for the house.

I don't get how some parents behave...
    We have different mind set on parent-child relationship than West, that's why. This will come fucking absurd to a Greek or a Turk.

--

As for topic, no you should not pay your dad rent for the house. It's your fucking house...

I'd never charge my child rent, especially if I were incurring no costs on the house anyway since said child also paid the bills for the house.

I don't get how some parents behave...
    Agreed. As long as they are working/in school/not being a bum. And especially if they were already paying all the bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Parents who don’t want their children at home without some sort of monetary gain are either American or bad parents.

I mean wha are they going to do, kick you out? That’s even worse.

The “every man for himself” attitude has got to stop. This is family we’re talking about here.

I don't know a single person that lives with parents, like me, who pay their parents rent. I'm expected to help out with chores and such things and that's it. I get food for free as well if I eat what my mother cooks, if I don't want that I'll have to buy something myself.

Living with your parents until you're married is common. If a parent would charge their son/daughter, they'd probably have a pretty bad relationship and the parent couldn't expect any help as they grow old.
    Like I said...in the West...this is very common. It does not hurt the parent/child relationship in most cases. Things are apparently different in South Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    Okay, so.. I'm 33 years old, and live in my dad's house (who doesn't live here). I pay all the bills (water, electricity, internet, trash collecting, etc), buy my own food and order / pay for propane and heating oil when it needs to be replenished.. I also pay my dad 400 / month on top of that as a form of rent, eventhough he doesn't really need to worry about anything in regards to the house in terms of basic payments that you'd expect from owning / living in a home.

Recently, as I'm currently in the process of buying something of my own, I've been questioning if it's "fair" for me to spend that 400 / month on my dad instead of saving it and adding more money to my "own house fund".. What do you guys / girls think?
    He would probably charge a whole lot more if it were a random tenant. I don't know how much rent averages in your area. I just can't magine 400 being anywhere near the average rent, so I'm going to assume you're being given quite a break on those costs, allowing you to save more money for your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    We have different mind set on parent-child relationship than West, that's why. This will come fucking absurd to a Greek or a Turk.\
    Absolutely, I couldn't imagine anyone from our neighborhood being like that. I've told the story before, but when I was a kid we got stranded in NYC and had to spend the night to catch a new flight the next morning. Our cash wasn't enough to get us a cab back to the airport the next morning, and multiple American cabbies laughed us off, one even told us to fuck off. Then an Egyptian driver offered to take us for free. My mom had even been offering him and other drivers one of her rings, since she didn't want to be a freeloader, but he refused, and even said we could stay with him and his wife if we couldn't get a new flight. It was humbling and one of my first lessons what things would be like in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    How can we tell if we don't know in what financial situation you or your father is in? Or what your relationship looks like.
    My father would never take anymoney from me - even if I wanted to pay -, and most likely even pay the extra bills.
    But I also don't find it strange that he would take (a low) rent if he wants it.
    wtf does his father's financial situation matter? You live there, you pay rent. Now, if OP wants to be intelligent rather than ask random people on the internet, he should talk to his father, tell him he is planning to buy his own place and see if his dad is cool letting him reduce the amount so he can increase his down payment on his own house.