The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The point you enter hyperspace from realspace is a tunnel into hyperspace from realspace. Hyperspace is mapped to realspace, it's just more compact. If you enter hyperspace at a point in real space - anyone entering hyperspace there will be next to you in hyperspace. So no tracking is needed. Since it was a skip jump - so you enter and exit practically a second later - ending up in a different real space point - far away from the entry point. Tie Fighters could just do the same, just skip jump when Falcon skip jumps. They could easily track the Falcon systems and its hyperdrive firing up.

I have no issues with how they followed Falcon.

What I have issues with is the distance they travelled over such a short amount of time - and that the worm creature survived a hyperspace jump thru its mouth - that's inconsistent with the Holdo Manoeuvre.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Planetary shields would be worthless if they could be bypassed by hyper drives. Because it wouldn't matter if it is difficult if you strap a bunch of bombs to a ship and have it purposefully crash. These are shields that could stop ships from traveling through them. So a weakness like hyper drive is a pretty big deal. Why spend the time and money to shield an entire planet if all it would take is one hyper drive jump into your capital city to effectively wipe out your planet?

We know it isn't that difficult to jump in the atmosphere if the falcon keeps on doing it. It can even skip when it isn't designed for it.
    We are talking about a pin point maneuver here, not just something that could just happen all the time. This seems to be your problem, because someone did something that happen it should be happening all the time ... that makes zero sense. Just because something happened doesn't mean it is capable of happening routinely.

There is nothing wrong with hyperspace tracking. There is something wrong with real time tracking through random hyper drive jumps crammed into a tie fighter. They go from a "new technology" to real time jammed into tie fighters in the matter of months of the NT time line. The release date of rogue one and the last jedi is irrelevant.
    Well, Hyperspace skipping is a bigger lore issue than anything else.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I really wish all the general star wars complaints could return to the star wars movie thread. Maybe there's not a lot to discuss about Mandalorian at this time, but I at least care enough about the series to click the thread when it has new replies and don't need to see any New Trilogy arguments that have nothing to do with anything.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

5+ Year Old Account
    I foresee robert downey jr. will cameo as one of the flying Mandalorians, some hidden iron man easter egg will, possibly, give it away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    We are talking about a pin point maneuver here, not just something that could just happen all the time. This seems to be your problem, because someone did something that happen it should be happening all the time ... that makes zero sense. Just because something happened doesn't mean it is capable of happening routinely.
    If it can happen once, it can happen all the time. That is how things work. There is no pin point maneuver used to get past the planetary shields. It is literally just staying in hyperspace dangerously close to the planet to by pass the shields. Again if that was possible, even if extremely dangerous, then planetary shields would be worthless as a defense. Because anyone who wanted to by pass them could just send a ship with bombs and a hyper drive to go right on through.

Even if what you say is true and it is a pin point maneuver. It would still be something that anyone could attempt to get past a planetary shield. Which means it is worthless defense tool. It falls back to the same thing as the holdo maneuver. Why haven't hyper drives been weaponized before. And why has no one thought of weaponizing them.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

After watching The Mandalorian I have to say I was kind of dissapointed. It seemed oddly rushed, but at the same time very slow. Baby Yoda is a cool character, but overall nothing really said "dang...this is cool," to me. I think if each episode was maybe an hour long it'd provide enough time to get some of the character building done earlier on. Seemed like a lot of scenes were there for time fillers rather than substance.

If it can happen once, it can happen all the time. That is how things work. There is no pin point maneuver used to get past the planetary shields. It is literally just staying in hyperspace dangerously close to the planet to by pass the shields. Again if that was possible, even if extremely dangerous, then planetary shields would be worthless as a defense. Because anyone who wanted to by pass them could just send a ship with bombs and a hyper drive to go right on through.

Even if what you say is true and it is a pin point maneuver. It would still be something that anyone could attempt to get past a planetary shield. Which means it is worthless defense tool. It falls back to the same thing as the holdo maneuver. Why haven't hyper drives been weaponized before. And why has no one thought of weaponizing them.
    That's the problem with ex-machina silver bullets like that - they back writers into a corner. You get a dramatic effect for using it once, but it forever taints the future of your work because so many subsequent problems could just easily be solved in the same way and you have to suddenly explain why they're not.

Of course it doesn't mean it's IMPOSSIBLE to explain those things away. Suicide attacks can be devastatingly effective, for example, but the barrier to using them is very high even for ruthless faction. That's why in real life we have regular suicide bombing attacks, but it's not like they're the first weapon of choice and used all time time; the potential to backfire (in a metaphorical more than a literal sense) is simply too high. But in a work of fiction - where readers/watchers aren't as invested and experienced through living in it - it can often be hard to deliver a satisfying explanation for what was supposed to be a one-time joker you pulled out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Of course it doesn't mean it's IMPOSSIBLE to explain those things away. Suicide attacks can be devastatingly effective, for example, but the barrier to using them is very high even for ruthless faction.
    I mean, SW has robots. If you told an IG droid to ram a planet with a ship full of nukes, why would he care?

The IG droid did suicide bomb afterall.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Why waste nukes?

Just get a cheap FTL drive. Doesn't even have to be a fast one. Then load the ship up with as much mass at it can carry.

It always amuses me how space dramas with FTL drives never use them as weapons. Or on the preciously rare times they do, it's 1) grossly underpowered and 2) forgotten as the most effective weapon ever ten minutes later.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it can happen once, it can happen all the time. That is how things work.
    Correct, but if something has a 1 in a 5 trillion chance of occurring, it isn't going to happen all the time.
    It is like arguing because you won the lotto once, you are going to win it again.

The rest is just garbage because it is an argument built on assumption, not fact.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Correct, but if something has a 1 in a 5 trillion chance of occurring, it isn't going to happen all the time.
    It is like arguing because you won the lotto once, you are going to win it again. The rest is just garbage because it is an argument built on assumption, not fact.
    Of course it is garbage because you don't agree with it and can't come up with anything. Your entire argument is based on assumption and not fact. Because it is not stated anywhere that it is extremely rare. In the movie it is only stated that star killer shields are "fractional refresh rate" and won't stop anything at lightspeed. Which means it is not a 1 in 5 trillion chance but an all the time thing for that shield at least.

It is just one of the many "for plot" things that Disney added that don't really line up with past things that well.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it is garbage because you don't agree with it and can't come up with anything. Your entire argument is based on assumption and not fact. Because it is not stated anywhere that it is extremely rare. In the movie it is only stated that star killer shields are "fractional refresh rate" and won't stop anything at lightspeed. Which means it is not a 1 in 5 trillion chance but an all the time thing for that shield at least.

It is just one of the many "for plot" things that Disney added that don't really line up with past things that well.
    The issue is garbage is because it is garbage. My agreeing or disagreeing with it has nothing to do with it.

Again, your argument "It happened once meaning it should happen all the time!" That's not how things work. Yes, if it happened once it should be able to happen again, but acting like a single occurrence of a rare event discounts everything else is nonsensical. Your argument is garbage and I would think that even if I agreed with you because garbage arguments are garbage.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't Rebels just send an asteroid inside the Death Star thru Hyperspace in Episode 4? They had the technology. I always asked myself that back in the day. Long before The Last Jedi. No one explained it to me. I survived. I gathered - that way the movie would've been boring, you know, about the process of preparing the asteroid, logistics, project managing, and stuff. With an occasional Imperial incursion or two.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Why didn't Rebels just send an asteroid inside the Death Star thru Hyperspace in Episode 4? They had the technology. I always asked myself that back in the day. Long before The Last Jedi. No one explained it to me. I survived. I gathered - that way the movie would've been boring, you know, about the process of preparing the asteroid, logistics, project managing, and stuff. With an occasional Imperial incursion or two.
    So many points, in so many shows, so many movies - where there is an easier, simpler, more logical, answer to a plot issue.

And if they answered the plot problem with that logical, simple and direct answer - all entertainment would be 10 minutes long or shorter.

This isn't just Star Wars, or scifi, this is all plot-driven entertainment.

I lost count of the number of shows/movies where the plot would have been solved in under 20 minutes if any of the main characters actually just TALKED to each other and had a CONVERSATION about the issue. But if they do that -there's no show.

Now, better written shows hide these answers better, or are better about making it appear more complicated to solve - but in the end its often the same reality.

We can accept that and "suspend disbelief" to enjoy the entertainment being given. Or we can destroy it all for ourselves and be bitter and hateful about all of it - usually rather easily. The choice is ours. /sillyhumans.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically...

The Rebels were ass out (on its final legs) in ANH, this before we learned how bad they were doing when they at Scariff.

They didn't know where the Death Star was, let alone had enough resources to rig up an asteroid with a hyperdrive. Then they would have to tow the rock to the Death Star and hope it wasn't obliterated or captured by a tractor beam.

Really though, most stuff in SW is presented first and the in-universe explanation comes a lot later. With most of the OT and PT stuff we're talking years later.

Hell Disney was the one made the strong push to explain and connect stuff as there were introduced. Before that most explanations came from fans trying to piece disjointed information together to construct Wookiepedia articles.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Technically...

The Rebels were ass out (on its final legs) in ANH, this before we learned how bad they were doing when they at Scariff.

They didn't know where the Death Star was, let alone had enough resources to rig up an asteroid with a hyperdrive. Then they would have to tow the rock to the Death Star and hope it wasn't obliterated or captured by a tractor beam.

Really though, most stuff in SW is presented first and the in-universe explanation comes a lot later. With most of the OT and PT stuff we're talking years later.

Hell Disney was the one made the strong push to explain and connect stuff as there were introduced. Before that most explanations came from fans trying to piece disjointed information together to construct Wookiepedia articles.
    They knew where the Death Star was heading, eventually - Yavin 4, they had plenty of time to prepare a massive object with a hyperdrive. In fact, in light of that possibility - there would've been no Death Star, no one in the right mind would invest in it. Emperor should've gone for Starkiller base right away - that can fire across the galaxy or better yet - star destroyers with planet buster cannons...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Why waste nukes?

Just get a cheap FTL drive. Doesn't even have to be a fast one. Then load the ship up with as much mass at it can carry.

It always amuses me how space dramas with FTL drives never use them as weapons. Or on the preciously rare times they do, it's 1) grossly underpowered and 2) forgotten as the most effective weapon ever ten minutes later.
    Really the question is why is everyone running around with slow ass blaster rifles, laser swords and comically impractical walkers when they readily have access to technology that can accelerate objects far beyond light speed. It's kind of like fighting WW2 with clubs and stones while leaving your rifles, tanks, airplaines and nukes in the garage.

10+ Year Old Account
    They knew where the Death Star was heading, eventually - Yavin 4, they had plenty of time to prepare a massive object with a hyperdrive. In fact, in light of that possibility - there would've been no Death Star, no one in the right mind would invest in it. Emperor should've gone for Starkiller base right away - that can fire across the galaxy or better yet - star destroyers with planet buster cannons...
    Exactly. The logical explanation is that SW is dumb and exists in the Hindsight Universe.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Or, as previously aluded to, someone could just get their hands on an old X-Wing or other ship with a Hyperdrive, load it up with as much junk as it can carry, toss in a droid they don't care about, and boom, goodbye Death Star/Starkiller Base/any stupidly large target that's going to get vaporized thanks to the equation F=MA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Really the question is why is everyone running around with slow ass blaster rifles, laser swords and comically impractical walkers when they readily have access to technology that can accelerate objects far beyond light speed. It's kind of like fighting WW2 with clubs and stones while leaving your rifles, tanks, airplaines and nukes in the garage.
    Tell me about it. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing those blasters on-screen. The damn things aren't even breaking the sound barrier, and non-Jedi can't dodge that shit?

The first guy to invent gunpowder is going to rule that galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Or, as previously aluded to, someone could just get their hands on an old X-Wing or other ship with a Hyperdrive, load it up with as much junk as it can carry, toss in a droid they don't care about, and boom, goodbye Death Star/Starkiller Base/any stupidly large target that's going to get vaporized thanks to the equation F=MA.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me about it. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing those blasters on-screen. The damn things aren't even breaking the sound barrier, and non-Jedi can't dodge that shit?

The first guy to invent gunpowder is going to rule that galaxy.
    To be fair, that's an issue in many space operas. The weapons used often don't keep up with the absurd speeds (and thus, potential damage) that ships are capable of. Mass Effect kind of wormed its way around it by making its faster means of FTL dependent on a fixed portal network, and even then Andromeda decided that humanity was capable of just inventing Reaper-tier FTL drives when it was convenient for the plot.