Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Anyone who would be upset about the magical collared slaves probably weren't going to watch the show anyway.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Well if I was to think like a "woke "journalist"" looking for outrage. The Seanchan are a multi race culture and morr importantly the only leash holders are women so it's women enslaving women not evil white men. I can see that very much not going down well. Also violence against women in general tends to be decried regardless of if being done by the bad guys.

Also they really can't change the gender of the leash holders for multiple reasons but one more important than the rest.
    I didn't follow GoT until I could binge 6 seasons, but do you know if there was much outrage over Sansa Stark's treatment? Given that she was essentially a slave to be sold as a "wife" for most of the show, eventually being raped more than once. Also, GoT had plenty of prostitutes...no one seemed to care about those.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    What always creeped me out most was the pleasure aspect of training damane - it's often not torture that they use, it's reward based conditioning, and it turns people into something like a dog. A Sul'dam's beloved pet, which they care for and take responsibility for. The whole mindset is creepy as hell, and to me seems like a very blunt look at slavery. I'm interested to see how the showrunners handle it as well, because it will be very difficult to navigate. The racial aspect you're concerned about will be muted by the fact that Seanchan have people of different races collared. If I were a betting person, I would bet that Egwene gets collared as a cliffhanger, and is freed by the end of the next episode. Some people probably will complain, and it wouldn't be shocking if there were controversy - hell it could benefit the show. Most of the criticism will eventually be muted by the fact that her being collared isn't just done for shock value, it's a critical piece of the storyline and the trauma of that experience stays with Egwene for the rest of the series. I think the writers can handle it, but of course only time will tell.
    Egwene probably has the most character development in the books, 2nd only to Rand. Really hope they don't shortchange her Seanchan experience with a "get it over with" episode. It is so huge, and would really diminish the meaning of White Tower pt2 and the payoff following.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    I didn't follow GoT until I could binge 6 seasons, but do you know if there was much outrage over Sansa Stark's treatment? Given that she was essentially a slave to be sold as a "wife" for most of the show, eventually being raped more than once. Also, GoT had plenty of prostitutes...no one seemed to care about those.

- - - Updated - - -

Egwene probably has the most character development in the books, 2nd only to Rand. Really hope they don't shortchange her Seanchan experience with a "get it over with" episode. It is so huge, and would really diminish the meaning of White Tower pt2 and the payoff following.
    Why would that be a shortchange? She wears the collar for a relatively small part of book 2 (if we count by words dedicated to the topic); focusing it into one episode, to me, would make it stand out more and let them really deal with the experience. Maybe we're just imagining how it would play out differently. In any case I hope they don't shortchange it as well, or her character. I just finished the “Honey in the Tea" chapter from book 11 and it's one of my favorite parts of any of the books.

Edit: Okay, dug out my copy of the book. She's collared partway through Chapter 40, not mentioned again until Chapter 42, in 43 the girls plot to rescue her, 44 gets no mention, 45/46 are split between what's happening with the boys, and in Chapter 46 she's set free. Doesn't seem like much more than an episode to me.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2020-02-22 at 09:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was some. There was actually more outrage over the part in the last season where Sansa pretty much tells The Hound she was glad she was raped because it made her a stronger person or some crap.

Honestly though, people really only get upset over that kind of thing when it is used as a cheap ploy. When it is used in a meaningful way, as it is in WoT, mostly people are ok with it. You will still get some crazies who will get mad, but there are going to be people upset with just about anything so worrying about it is pointless.

Why would that be a shortchange? She wears the collar for a relatively small part of book 2 (if we count by words dedicated to the topic); focusing it into one episode, to me, would make it stand out more and let them really deal with the experience. Maybe we're just imagining how it would play out differently. In any case I hope they don't shortchange it as well, or her character. I just finished the “Honey in the Tea" chapter from book 11 and it's one of my favorite parts of any of the books.

Edit: Okay, dug out my copy of the book. She's collared partway through Chapter 40, not mentioned again until Chapter 42, in 43 the girls plot to rescue her, 44 gets no mention, 45/46 are split between what's happening with the boys, and in Chapter 46 she's set free. Doesn't seem like much more than an episode to me.
    Haha, ok. That's a good point, thank you for looking into it. My memory had her captured by Seanchan for several weeks, givin the travel times, the girls having to catch up, then having to spend time plotting her rescue. But I can see how that either wasn't the case, or the book time skips a lot.

Haha, ok. That's a good point, thank you for looking into it. My memory had her captured by Seanchan for several weeks, givin the travel times, the girls having to catch up, then having to spend time plotting her rescue. But I can see how that either wasn't the case, or the book time skips a lot.
    You definitely get the impression that there are some time skips, I'd guess weeks too.

There is a significant time skip she spends a decent amount of time collared. That book in particular plays around with time a lot. You can figure that the girls go through the waygate about a month to two months through rand's fuckup because Egwene talks about how long Rand has basically disappeared from her thoughts/dreams since he is essentially off the current plane of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    There is a significant time skip she spends a decent amount of time collared. That book in particular plays around with time a lot. You can figure that the girls go through the waygate about a month to two months through rand's fuckup because Egwene talks about how long Rand has basically disappeared from her thoughts/dreams since he is essentially off the current plane of existence.
    Agreed there is a time skip, that doesn't change the amount of screen time, so to speak, devoted to that story element. Time skips can be represented in a show fairly easily as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Onwards to book 12

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Onwards to book 12
    Just made jump as well. Extremely grateful Sanderson was able to finish these books, but the difference when you're reading through like this is so noticeable. It's sad to read, but at the same time exciting, as these last few are packed with good stuff.

Just made jump as well. Extremely grateful Sanderson was able to finish these books, but the difference when you're reading through like this is so noticeable. It's sad to read, but at the same time exciting, as these last few are packed with good stuff.
    I noticed the slight difference in writing when I saw how fast Masema was dealt with permanenly by Faile. The pacing was well done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still at the beginning, but i have a suspicion there's quite less descriptive writing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I noticed the slight difference in writing when I saw how fast Masema was dealt with permanenly by Faile. The pacing was well done.
    First impression of that event had me like "just like that?". Then again masema was mostly an off "screen" character.

I'm enjoying the pace and definitely the absence of paragraph long descriptions of trees, dresses and whatnot.

Right now reading Perrin checking wagon wheels ������

Still at the beginning, but i have a suspicion there's quite less descriptive writing

- - - Updated - - -

First impression of that event had me like "just like that?". Then again masema was mostly an off "screen" character.

I'm enjoying the pace and definitely the absence of paragraph long descriptions of trees, dresses and whatnot.

That's what I love about Perrin, everyone wants him to be a lord and what not, while all he wants to do is fix some god damn wagon wheels, hammer out some horse shoes and enjoy life.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

- - - Updated - - -

Up to the Mat chapters and they are the only ones I find hard to get through. Don't miss the descriptive language either, but I do miss the beauty to Jordan's language. He could afford to be more flowery, just leaned to heavily on it. Cut a lot of his description out would be my only change to the last Jordan books, i don't mind the pacing of them at all. Plus Sanderson lets anachronisms sneak in more often, it's distracting.

Mat is one of the few characters who transitioned poorly though, Egwene is probably the one who made it though the best. Love her chapters just as much as I did under Jordan. Rand seems mostly the same, ditto with Perrin and Faile. Also feel like Sanderson really captures the spirit of the novels well, which is usually the hardest thing to do when a series changes hands like this. Can't wait to get to Dragonmount!

Didn't the publishers "force" Jordan to drag out the books, for more sales? Thus the middle books are long and boring at times.

Might just have been something I heard/read somewhere though, don't have any sources on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Up to the Mat chapters and they are the only ones I find hard to get through. Don't miss the descriptive language either, but I do miss the beauty to Jordan's language. He could afford to be more flowery, just leaned to heavily on it. Cut a lot of his description out would be my only change to the last Jordan books, i don't mind the pacing of them at all. Plus Sanderson lets anachronisms sneak in more often, it's distracting.

Mat is one of the few characters who transitioned poorly though, Egwene is probably the one who made it though the best. Love her chapters just as much as I did under Jordan. Rand seems mostly the same, ditto with Perrin and Faile. Also feel like Sanderson really captures the spirit of the novels well, which is usually the hardest thing to do when a series changes hands like this. Can't wait to get to Dragonmount!
    In what way do you find Mat's transition poor? The chapter(s) i read he just seemed like more whiny over his love concern.

Not related to the authors, but I've said before that the doubt and open communication between trusting characters are their biggest enemies.
    So far Egwene seems to fall prey to this a bit, given how she's distrusting of what Rand has done and all her
    "need to keep the Dragon in check" stuff.

Right now I'm at Gawyns..... Second chapter (?)

In what way do you find Mat's transition poor? The chapter(s) i read he just seemed like more whiny over his love concern.

Not related to the authors, but I've said before that the doubt and open communication between trusting characters are their biggest enemies.
    So far Egwene seems to fall prey to this a bit, given how she's distrusting of what Rand has done and all her
    "need to keep the Dragon in check" stuff.

Right now I'm at Gawyns..... Second chapter (?)
    It's probably a case of loving too much, Mat was always my favorite character so I was really in tune with his personality and sense of humor, and it just comes off wrong, like a new character as opposed to a continuation of an old one. The Hinderstap storyline is one I skim over. It's a subtle difference I guess and don't want to complain too much because as I recall Sanderson finds his footing by AMoL.

Gawyn is an interesting character, I wonder how much of his storyline belongs to Jordan's notes. He's frustrating for his lack of growth or good resolution. He's basically a character who thinks he's better than he really is, and never grows past that.

The lack of trust between characters, the way the authors shift from one perspective to another, that's some of the best stuff in the series to me, really enjoy how many different angles these guys are capable of showing things from. It's not that scenario people complain about of "why don't they just talk to each other," rather it shows how difficult communication really is, and how just because a person says one thing, doesn't mean another person hears it the same way. One thing I really enjoy is how often characters are un-self aware about how their own behavior is impacting a situation. Something that stands out about Egwene is that she has her finger on that pulse very well, she's good at controlling her own responses and understands how other people will react to her. It's a skill that very few actual people have, and very few people in these books have. Part of why I love them is how well both Jordan and Sanderson get people; it's really impressive how well Sanderson does at it considering how comparatively young he was when he wrote his parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably a case of loving too much, Mat was always my favorite character so I was really in tune with his personality and sense of humor, and it just comes off wrong, like a new character as opposed to a continuation of an old one. The Hinderstap storyline is one I skim over. It's a subtle difference I guess and don't want to complain too much because as I recall Sanderson finds his footing by AMoL.

Gawyn is an interesting character, I wonder how much of his storyline belongs to Jordan's notes. He's frustrating for his lack of growth or good resolution. He's basically a character who thinks he's better than he really is, and never grows past that.

The lack of trust between characters, the way the authors shift from one perspective to another, that's some of the best stuff in the series to me, really enjoy how many different angles these guys are capable of showing things from. It's not that scenario people complain about of "why don't they just talk to each other," rather it shows how difficult communication really is, and how just because a person says one thing, doesn't mean another person hears it the same way. One thing I really enjoy is how often characters are un-self aware about how their own behavior is impacting a situation. Something that stands out about Egwene is that she has her finger on that pulse very well, she's good at controlling her own responses and understands how other people will react to her. It's a skill that very few actual people have, and very few people in these books have. Part of why I love them is how well both Jordan and Sanderson get people; it's really impressive how well Sanderson does at it considering how comparatively young he was when he wrote his parts.
    Well, I'm nearly finishing the intro to Hinderstap chapter. Something's about to go down at the inn. Regardless, it seems like a response to the conflict Mat's feeling. Even though it's not really life threatening, his new found affection seems to endanger his own character and his activities, by his own estimation.

Gawyn is (or has), a very toned down (or up, depending) version of Egwene's feelings for the Dragon Reborn. Hmm, is that right?

When I'm talking about lack of trust, I'm talking about it amongst the original "cast", the closest of friends. Even if the circumstances changed who they are, they ought to be able to confide in each other. This would be difficult only in regard to Egwene & Rand.

Rand, though, this old fashioned perseverance thing got old fast, to my estimations. "I must be steel."; "Steel isn't strong enough. I must be completely devoid of anything"; "It is done, Min. I have nothing left." 11 and half books in, and I'm still waiting for the moment this dude just breaks down and cries it all out for a moment.

Sanderson is a bit annoying in that regard to, in his Stormlight Archive, in a different manner. His main characters are always going through self doubting periods, well, all the time more like

People grow up...and apart. But they three do come back together and realize they never lost that bond of friendship.
    Rand, though, this old fashioned perseverance thing got old fast, to my estimations. "I must be steel."; "Steel isn't strong enough. I must be completely devoid of anything"; "It is done, Min. I have nothing left." 11 and half books in, and I'm still waiting for the moment this dude just breaks down and cries it all out for a moment.

Sanderson is a bit annoying in that regard to, in his Stormlight Archive, in a different manner. His main characters are always going through self doubting periods, well, all the time more like
    That moment of breaking down comes at the end of the book. The Wise Ones in the next book recognize that "He's abandoned stone, and become the wind" or something like that. At which point he becomes something of a force of nature and scares the bejeebus out of Egwene when he tells her his plans...in the White Tower itself with all the Aes Sedai watching in horror as they are unable to do anything to him with the Power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gathering Storm down

Onward to book 13