Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

So E3 cancelled because of Corona virus

So yeah probably gonna be some purely online show instead ,cant say i care much as i always watch it online and if there is a crowd or not i dont really mind. Sucks for those that love to go there though.

https://www.pcgamer.com/e3-has-been-...irus-outbreak/
    Do you hear the voices too?

Seems a bit premature. Just hope no ones livelyhood was riding on it. But really it's just a big "look at our crap that is coming out in the next 2 years" show.

Guarantee it is not coming back next year either because most of the large publishers/devs are now planning streams which is pretty much that final nail in the E3 coffins as they are not going to spend all this money to set up a proper online streaming infrastructures at home base for events like this AND also go to E3 next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Seems a bit premature. Just hope no ones livelyhood was riding on it. But really it's just a big "look at our crap that is coming out in the next 2 years" show.
    Peoples livelihoods were already ruined, anyone that relies on travel based markets to make money, including photography have been severely impacted, I know a few personally that have lost about 3-4 months wages already because of clients not willing to travel now.

"Corona virus"...sure. E3 has been free falling and everyone already expected this year to be canceled. It's just convenient imo.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I know a few personally that have lost about 3-4 months wages already because of clients not willing to travel now.
    You just can't recover from that, yes, Corona is nasty, but it's temporary, people are getting lives permanently ruined from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    "Corona virus"...sure. E3 has been free falling and everyone already expected this year to be canceled. It's just convenient imo.
    Yes. They have a standing 10 year contract with the LA convention center, and canceling means they lose out on massive amounts of money as they'll likely be refunding all booth purchases and will not have ticket sales.

It's not "convenient" at all. The ESA doesn't benefit from canceling in the slightest.

You just can't recover from that, yes, Corona is nasty, but it's temporary, people are getting lives permanently ruined from it.
    Some of them had backups but ya a few of them will likely have to move now and and down size.

And nothing of value was lost. Its long stopped being an industry trade show and turned into a dick measuring trailer day like a shittier comicon. Microsoft seems to be the only large company -as the slowpokes of the console biz- not figuring out what nintendo did years ago about how you can produce a something yourself you have total control over rather than risk a live shitshow at greater cost. But the ESA has been desperate to hold onto their little kingdom so this must stick in their craw.

But at least Todd can sigh with relief he doesn't have to go on stage and try and push the exact same shit as last year again and FO76/Blades. Again.

No, they're being temporarily ruined because of this temporary situation. Yes, some folks are much more significantly impacted (plenty of indie devs were scrambling to figure out a future for their games after GDC got canceled and they weren't able to get travel refunds, and couldn't use the show to pitch their games and get some additional funding), but this is a serious virus that needs to be treated seriously.

It's not as if these conferences are just being canceled "just because", there was a lot of anticipation of major E3 attendees pulling out of the show as they did with GDC, and some were in serious discussions to make those announcements.

It's brutal for the folks that rely on these shows (as exhibitors, hosts, or local businesses), but it's also not worth the risk of having a major event that infects people who all return to their home states/countries and bring the virus with them.

My company is one of the ones impacted by this. We're going to miss out on show charges (event organization, prep and planning, staffing etc.) that's a huge chunk of our revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    And nothing of value was lost. Its long stopped being an industry trade show and turned into a dick measuring trailer day like a shittier comicon. Microsoft seems to be the only large company -as the slowpokes of the console biz- not figuring out what nintendo did years ago about how you can produce a something yourself you have total control over rather than risk a live shitshow at greater cost. But the ESA has been desperate to hold onto their little kingdom so this must stick in their craw.

But at least Todd can sigh with relief he doesn't have to go on stage and try and push the exact same shit as last year again and FO76/Blades. Again.
    Wonder Bethesda would even have showed, rumor is ESVI isn't even being looked at for release until 2025

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, they're being temporarily ruined because of this temporary situation. Yes, some folks are much more significantly impacted (plenty of indie devs were scrambling to figure out a future for their games after GDC got canceled and they weren't able to get travel refunds, and couldn't use the show to pitch their games and get some additional funding), but this is a serious virus that needs to be treated seriously.

It's not as if these conferences are just being canceled "just because", there was a lot of anticipation of major E3 attendees pulling out of the show as they did with GDC, and some were in serious discussions to make those announcements.

It's brutal for the folks that rely on these shows (as exhibitors, hosts, or local businesses), but it's also not worth the risk of having a major event that infects people who all return to their home states/countries and bring the virus with them.

My company is one of the ones impacted by this. We're going to miss out on show charges (event organization, prep and planning, staffing etc.) that's a huge chunk of our revenue.
    I'm talking about the ones who lose a job, then lose a house, yes it's nasty but in the US you have to keep working even if sick.

And still too premature for E3 IMO it's not til June, we don't know the landscape by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I kinda get why are they doing it, but then again, i don't think many people in high risk groups would attend.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    If I replied honestly to this stupidity I would get banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I kinda get why are they doing it, but then again, i don't think many people in high risk groups would attend.
    It's just prevention considering it can take up to 2 weeks to get symptoms, bunch of people could go there without knowing they have it, spread it, and 2 weeks later shit goes crazy. Or maybe nothing happens, but they take the "better safe than sorry" route which is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    the right move
    ppl are really underestimating this virus even with all shit going on, because it has only 2% death rate, ignoring that it has the worst spread of a virus in modern history
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

3+ Year Old Account
    And still too premature for E3 IMO it's not til June, we don't know the landscape by then.
    There's a lot of preparation, organization and travelling required to make E3 happen, you don't just cancel that shit 2 weeks in advance and there's nothing showing signs that the situation will be get good enough by June.

Aren't Obese people and Diabetics at high risk though? not saying everyone but I'm sure its more than a handful of guests.

People are vastly underestimating this virus, and behaving as if they won't be affected. As someone with elderly and sickly loved ones, I am very glad that the authorities are taking it seriously. Well, with a few exceptions...

You can go 2 weeks without symptoms, spreading the virus. That's a LOT of potential spread. In fact, watch the movie Contagion. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes. They have a standing 10 year contract with the LA convention center, and canceling means they lose out on massive amounts of money as they'll likely be refunding all booth purchases and will not have ticket sales.

It's not "convenient" at all. The ESA doesn't benefit from canceling in the slightest.
    There is benefit in virtue signaling, at least in their eyes. Chances of someone contracting coronavirus at E3 and dying? Virtually nil, unless they start carting in elderly and people with compromised immune systems. I'd be more concerned about catching a cold or the flu at E3. Chances of someone dying in a car crash on the way to E3 are vastly higher than catching the coronavirus at E3, let alone dying, yet we don't see them potentially shutting down E3 because of the risk of car crashes.

Sadly, most things that are highly visible and publicized as deadly/dangerous are actually very minor compared to many other threats that are more likely to occur across a broader spectrum of people. E3 being cancelled (and the rash of other similar actions occurring around the US) have nothing to do with actual public safety and everything to do with virtue signaling.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Aren't Obese people and Diabetics at high risk though? not saying everyone but I'm sure its more than a handful of guests.
    Diabetics maybe, but it's mostly immunosupressed young people that are more likely of dying. Like my friend who has to take meds for MS

We have a good idea. It'll get much worse before it gets better, especially in the US, and this ain't going anywhere by June.

No, but with both international travel which is a concern, and the fact that a lot of the gamers that attend have...let's just say "questionable" personal hygiene, it's less about the risk of attendees being directly impacted and more about them being carriers to bring it to others.

Diabetics maybe, but it's mostly immunosupressed young people that are more likely of dying. Like my friend who has to take meds for MS
    ah, somehow i got obesity and heart disease mixed up.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...lications.html