Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. If im in a BDO binge I turn it off once a week, if not every morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    The last time I shut off my PC was about a month ago. It takes too long to start it up, so I just let it go into sleep mode instead. Some people swear that you should turn it off, while others say it's best to leave it on. Which boat are you in?
    If you aren't running into any significant issues, and updates are being applied, then you are fine.

Typically, shutting down or rebooting your PC is recommended at a weekly basis for two reasons:

1) Most applications you run are actually "leaky" and hold onto more memory than they are actually using anymore. This gets worse as time goes on. The easiest (and cleanest) way to address this is to reboot your PC.

2) Some updates require a reboot anyway. If your machine and OS is pretty current, then this usually happens automatically. However, sometimes even this doesn't work correctly. Since many updates now include security updates, out of an abundance of caution, they recommend you reboot weekly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I upgraded to a 1TB SSD last year, when they were on sale for $89. Wow, what a difference! And it was the slower, 860 QVO Samsung model. Only SSD's now in any system I buy or build.
    Spinning rust still has its place, but only if you need to store video files or something similar that is incredibly space-filling while not needing to be accessed super fast

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Spinning rust still has its place, but only if you need to store video files or something similar that is incredibly space-filling while not needing to be accessed super fast
    True. My old 1TB hard drive is still in my system for those reasons. But I do not think I will buy another one.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I shutdown every 6-5 months for cleaning dust

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Wtf why do you not shut it down?
    Why would you?

Always. In fact, I have this issue that my Laptop randomly come out of sleep mode, if anybody knows anything about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    its a waste to leave it running. theres no point. shut it off every night before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    If not counting reboots, mine has been on since I last upgraded some parts, which was early last year. I see no noticeable difference in electricity usage if it's on 24/7. Computers are smart, so with good power settings all unused parts are put to sleep automatically. And if you have good fans, it's very cool and quiet in rest mode. But hibernation I have avoided since my old computer started to have issues everytime after going into hibernation.

I've also read multiple times that keeping your computer on 24/7 if you use it a lot is healthier for your computer parts than shutting it off daily. So if you use it daily put everything to go to sleep after X minutes, leave it on and keep your pc working for longer (If it's true what they say! Not sure if there's any proof of it).

Plus, for some reason when I start it up after shutting down, boot time is 3-10 minutes! And sometimes the boot order gets randomly reset, so it doesn't even find the OS then. If I just reboot, boot time is 7-15 seconds and no boot order issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Always. In fact, I have this issue that my Laptop randomly come out of sleep mode, if anybody knows anything about that.
    When my monitor has come out of sleep mode randomly, it has always been USB port related. In my case when I plugged out xbox controller, sleep mode didn't get interrupted anymore. But it could also be a program in the background, so shutting off everything that is not mandatory could fix it.
    Last edited by Kuja; 2020-05-14 at 04:33 AM.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Why would you?
    Helps prevent issues and takes, maybe, 10 more seconds at the beginning and end of your day to properly turn it off and restart it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Likely the trackpad or keyboard registering inputs, or a program that decided it needed to do something so pinged the CPU to wake up

My gaming PC; yesterday right after the raid. It only gets turned on perhaps 3-4 times a week, for raids or any other challenging content of WoW.

My personal laptop; 2 days ago... i don't keep it on for any particular reason outside of it just being easier to close it (sleep mode) when i turn in for the day.

My work laptop; I don't really turn it off unless really required. It's just easier to have most software open and in place when i connect it to the dock/need to use it at home. And the battery just isn't a concern (These thinkpads might be heavy bricks, but the battery just isn't an issue for them)

My main computer is a laptop now, so every time I don't use it, I just close the lid and that put it to sleep but technically speaking, I rarely shut it down completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Helps prevent issues and takes, maybe, 10 more seconds at the beginning and end of your day to properly turn it off and restart it?
    What issues? I'm not being stubborn I really want to know.

15+ Year Old Account
    Last night.
    It boots in about 8 seconds with an NVM-e SSD and hybrid shutdown and no reason to waste electricity leaving it running.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    What issues? I'm not being stubborn I really want to know.
    Memory leakage and other similar things. There's a reason the first step to trouble-shooting PCs is to reboot them.

Why would you?
    Because it will explode.

I turn off my computer only when it runs out of electricity ;P

Had to shut it down yesterday. Windows 10 has this annoying feature, where it automatically downloads updates, and when they're ready, and you put the PC to sleep the bastard will automatically wake it up after a few minutes. So you have to restart it and let it run the updates.

It boggles my mind, why doesn't it just tell me I cannot put it to sleep without running the update? And instead it just lets me put it to sleep, and then it wakes up few minutes later, when I'm in my bed already, waking me up.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Hi Ary, Most computers will resume from hibernate faster than from a full shut downstate, so you’re probably better off hibernating your pc instead of shutting it down. However, some PCs or software may not work properly when resuming from hibernate, in which case you’ll want to shut down your computer instead. It’s also a good idea to shut down or at least restart your PC occasionally. Most Windows users have noticed that Windows needs an occasional reboot.

One more thing if you don’t shut down your pc for a long time it may occur long boot-up time or windows crash it may become a cause of data loss situation. So you should take a backup of your data to avoid this problem. An alternative solution to using third party free data recovery programs like Recuva or stellar data recovery free edition. These utilities are easy to use and recover.

Every night, as it's not in use it is just a waste of power. Even with a mechanic hard drive you can just fill a couple of minutes of time when it boots. Turn it on, go grab a drink and pop your dirty clothes in the laundry basked and it will be good to go when you get back.

Funnily enough I've worked in IT for a long time and a lot of IT workers seem to make it a point of pride to never reboot, despite moaning when our users do the same thing lol. The dopey hybrid sleep mode uptimes in Windows 10 throw a lot of people off though.