Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    This is a step along the way. Proving that the Dragon spaceship can get astronauts into outer space is a step towards the moon landing. This isn't necroing an old thread. The Artemis Program is an ongoing program that will have MAJOR events that happen once every several months. This thread is designed to cover these events as they unfold into the 2030s.
    No, it ain't, going to ISS is a regular job for Russia, but I would never make a claim that that Soyuz is "a step" towards the moon, you need very different rockets to go to moon n mars vs going to ISS. It's a whole different ball game..

I don't make a post every time Russia sends up a rocket, that would be a lot of posts, if you want to make a US Space general thread, go right ahead, but you made a moon/mars thread specifically, and you go n necro with a different subject..Dragon won't get u to Mars..if u can get a mod to change title for you, good, but don't update for 10 years with nonsense that got nothing to do with title..

Myself, I wouldn't mind a Space Megathread...what is more interesting to me personally is that for the last few years we have spotted some very big nasty rocks flying too close to earth for my liking..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-05-27 at 07:30 PM.

T-54:30

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account

the livestream

10+ Year Old Account
    What i find interesting is the plan to make those trips over time sustainable, as in planning to keep people on the moon and on mars.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    What i find interesting is the plan to make those trips over time sustainable, as in planning to keep people on the moon and on mars.
    what is the window for a possible next mars mission ? distance is changing over time and the difference is huge between min/max distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    what is the window for a possible next mars mission ? distance is changing over time and the difference is huge between min/max distance
    In all honestly i wouldn't know, not that well read on this subject just keeping tabs on it from a distance

Read that the moon is the first goal to do that on and keep people there, who knows what plans they might have maybe make a refuelling station there of sorts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Why would anyone name anything after that bitch???
    I always preferred the Greek Gods over "The God", the Greek Gods make sense, a twisted and very human sense, their powers, their domains, their motivations. Unlike "The God who shall not be named" whose "mysterious" ways are self contradictory, illogical and are often nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    July of this year. There's already a Mars rover scheduled to launch at the end of that month. It has a mini helicopter drone onboard to see if it's viable to make a full-size one!

Mars launch windows last around two weeks every 26 months. So the next one will be September 2022. Trip takes about 7 months, though SpaceX are hoping to cut down on that in the future when they can refuel Starship in orbit.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    naaaaah no launch today
    weather is bad

and ok, Mars rover first. mini drone sounds cool
    Last edited by ranzino; 2020-05-27 at 08:24 PM.

See you Saturday...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thunder was so loud this morning I thought someone was banging on my window and hasn't stopped since. Not surprised it ended up being scrubbed, they were already looking at a tight launch window.

Hopefully there will be a break in the clouds Saturday.

WTF happened to Boeing and their program...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Their test flight was spectacular. You don't want a test flight to be spectacular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Things didn't go right on their first unmanned orbital test and they weren't able to dock at the ISS. They're going to try again in October.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing...al_Flight_Test

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    No, it ain't, going to ISS is a regular job for Russia..
    This is about the Dragon spacecraft and proving it works and is safe. This launch is part of the Artemis Program. Yes, it is going to the ISS, but proving Dragon is functional is an Artemis goal at this stage.

The Artemis Program is scheduled to run into the 2030s. We can go 6 to 9 months without anything major happening. This thread isn't being necroed - its just major updates take a long time. Think of it like a thread for a TV show. You have 2-3 months with a season, and then 9-10 months with nothing going on. We're not launching people to the moon everyday.

While I'm here, you might find this fascinating. The Astronauts for the 22nd Astronaut group were selected in January. Some of these people will probably land on the moon and maybe even Mars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_program

On 10 January 2020, NASA's 22nd astronaut group, nicknamed the "Turtles", graduated and were assigned to the Artemis program. The group includes two Canadian Space Agency (CSA) astronauts. The group earned their nickname from the prior astronaut group, "The 8-Balls," as is a tradition dating back to "The Mercury Seven" in 1962 which subsequently provided the "Next Nine" with their nickname. They were given this name, for the most part, because of Hurricane Harvey. Some of the astronauts will fly on the Artemis missions to the Moon and maybe part of the first crew to fly to Mars.[102]

Kayla Barron (born 1987): Lt., U.S. Navy
    Zena Cardman (born 1987): Biologist
    Raja Chari (born 1977): Col., U.S. Air Force
    Matthew Dominick (born 1981): Lt. Cmdr., U.S. Navy
    Bob Hines (born 1975): NASA research pilot
    Warren Hoburg (born 1985): assistant professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics, MIT
    Jonny Kim (born 1984): Lt., U.S. Navy physician, former U.S. Navy SEAL
    Robb Kulin (born 1983): Launch Chief Engineer, SpaceX – Resigned in August 2018 before completing his training.[103]
    Jasmin Moghbeli (born 1983): Maj., U.S. Marine Corps
    Loral O'Hara (born 1983): research engineer, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
    Francisco Rubio (born 1975): Maj., U.S. Army
    Jessica Watkins (born 1988): Geologist, postdoctoral fellow, California Institute of Technology
    Joshua Kutryk (born 1982): LCol, Canadian Armed Forces, test pilot, fighter pilot, engineer
    Jenni Sidey (born 1988): Mechanical engineer, combustion scientist, and lecturer[104]
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...190808958.html

SpaceX's Starship SN4 launch vehicle prototype explodes on the pad in Texas. This is unrelated to the launch of the Dragon spacecraft in Florida, as the SN4 and Dragon are two are different parts of the Artemis Program.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

So, important to note is that this is not in any way related to the Demo-2 mission hopefully being launched this weekend.

With that out of the way, that was a spectacular end to SN4, and sadly the test stand as well. SN5 is all but ready for testing, so the loss of the test stand is probably the worst setback. However, this is why they test often and test hard. Better to have the fireworks now than in a few years when people are sitting in it.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account

livestream of today, if something happens at all.

34 minutes to go. Fueling has started. Weather looking good right now but it's still going to come down to the launch time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    34 minutes to go. Fueling has started. Weather looking good right now but it's still going to come down to the launch time.
    I can hear thunder and there's a cloud off the coast. Hopefully there is a break in them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Everything is on track and we’re rapidly approaching launch time. Over a million viewers for the NASA stream alone.
    at around the 15 minute mark they announced they had over 3 million viewers in total.