Poll: Should flying have DIED with TBC?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Should flying have DIED with TBC?

Garrisons died with WOD. Should flying have died with TBC as well?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

15+ Year Old Account
    My house burned down last night. Should I also burn my car?
    Here is something to believe in!

No. Just owning cool flying mounts and flying around on them is one of the better reasons to play this game.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    The problem with flying is Blizzard can’t be bothered to design around it.
    Pretty much this!

It really wouldn't even take much. Just use the Cloud Serpent rep as inspiration for airborne mini-games (obviously more than just a race), add WQ's and treasures to locations you can only access with a flying mount, etc.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2020-06-19 at 05:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted no. While I’m fine with the rep/exploration achievements for it, it should be available much much earlier in an expansion which also requires Blizz to design around it. Archaeology, however I think wasn’t supposed to last past Cata and should probably be replaced with a new skill at this point.

Flying over vast landscapes on my druid is one of my favorite things to do in WoW. It makes the world feel much bigger to me. It needs to be UTILIZED in design.

Flying is great. It worked well for WotLK where they even designed zones to be vast and Storm Peaks/Icecrown to be mountainous (with Icecrown being littered with undead minions which also added to the atmosphere). You got to level on ground till level 77 which is an ideal approach to make flying accesible while also have your character do the elveling experience on ground. Still prefer it to pathfinding which is just a huge chore every single time. Then Cata came around which made flying accesible at the very beginning, so everyone was just flying from point A to B speed leveling through everything and skipping every mob.

Storm Peaks.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Storm Peaks.
    Did you enjoy Storm Peaks? I didn't even get to Northrend before Cata so I never experienced it while it was cc.

No. Instead it should have been expanded on. Hell even tbc had the dragonmaw races. Other expansions could have added flying combat of sorts and dangers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Should flying have died with TBC as well?
    Flying is the best single thing added after Vanilla.

It only have benefits and not a single drawback.

NOT A SINGLE DRAWBACK. NONE!
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Love flying, one of the best new additions the game has ever had.

Should add more flying exclusive content.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    My house burned down last night. Should I also burn my car?
    apples and pears dude.. apples and pears

Absolutely not.

Zones get more an more convoluted these days and extremely 3 dimensional. Without flying mounts you waste so much time, that I don't consider a WoW without flying fun.

I would maybe trade flying for 300% mount running speed, reduced aggro ranges of mobs and triple flight path speed (or better route calculation). Because I like exploring and experiencing the zones; they are often beautiful.
    But then we have zones like Nazjatar, where you are always in combat with something (this is a general huge problem in WoW), you have mobs everywhere and paths are serpentines filled with obstacles left and right.

No flying mounts was functional in Vanilla, where you had huge open spaces, clear roads and no enemies interrupting your travel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Garrisons died with WOD. Should flying have died with TBC as well?
    Nope, shouldn't die.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Imo flying died with WoD when they added in those obnoxious achievements to unlock it. It should have just been a max lvl gold requirement with the pathfinders giving unique mounts.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with flying is that some people use it as a scapegoat for problems that it is not responsible.

- Flying killed WPvP!

WPvP fans complain flying enables people to avoid WPvP, but somehow they fail to ask why it is that people want to avoid WPvP in the first place.

- Flying ruins immersion and makes the game less fun!

There is merit to the argument that experiencing new content that is designed to be tackled from the ground takes away somewhat from the experience. That same argument categorically does not apply to content that people have already experienced multiple times.

- Flying allows people to skip content!

Travel is a means to getting to content. While it may be argued that the experience of having to make your way to the content is also part of the game experience, it is a part of the experience that grows tired after a while. What makes it interesting is the sense of discovery and exploration and becoming familiar with the new zones, as well as having to survive when you're not well geared. But as the zones become familiar, as your characters progress and become more powerful, travel just becomes a tedious chore that wastes time that could be spent doing stuff that is actually still enjoyable.

The ability to skip this "content" a few months into the expansion is therefore a blessing.

In spite of reading hundreds of pages on forums by people complaining about flying and how it should be removed from the game, I have yet to see a single good argument to support the notion.

Honestly it should have never been added in the first place, but flying is one of those things that, once it was there, it could never be taken back.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    garrisons were a failure

flying was not

Adding flying was a mistake.

For a start, it's mechanically poor. It's just fast swimming in the air. Play the Arkham games and lament at what could have been.

The flight master's whistle and a ton of flight points around a zone would be fine. Couple that with sensible zone design (i.e. not Netherstorm or Stormheim), double jumps for all classes (because of all those pissy little rocks that you snag on).

The ability to glide could have been a mount ability. In fact, it still could be. I don't see why flying mounts can't glide now in non-flying areas. It's not like gliders are hard to come by, and its certainly not like Blizzard actually respects the engineering profession. As proven by losing the glider from our fucking cloak for this last patch.