Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Lol do you honestly believe all those rioters were taking "proper precautions" while they were burning down buildings and throwing bricks at police?
    Masks were extremely common at the protests, as was distancing and staying outside.

Pretending that that is worse than a cramped indoor event without masks or social distancing is bizarre, especially when the one fact that epidemiologists have consistently said is that indoor spread is far more of an issue than outdoor spread.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Lol do you honestly believe all those rioters were taking "proper precautions" while they were burning down buildings and throwing bricks at police?
    Regardless of how you define them, they were handing out masks to other protestors. They were not removing social distancing signs, as Trump did with his rally. FYI... Pence cancelled his rallies in Arizona and Florida next week.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I see the protesters as actual activists.

The rioters and looters could have died on the fires they themselves set and we would have all considered them Darwin award winners and no one would cared.

Tearing down old statues of Confederate (traitor) officers is one thing, and something that should never have been put up in the first place, but belong in museums now...

...however Netflix just pulled the Dungeons and Dragons episode of Community around the entire world. Because Ken Jeong, an Asian man, cosplayed a dark elf.

It's of course going to have a Streisand effect where lots of people google this episode, and watch it instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Credibility pending as I couls only find 2 sources and the other one is the daily mail.

Looks like someone decided to travel further back in time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...omplaints/amp/

Coliseum and Pyramids, you're next

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Credibility pending as I couls only find 2 sources and the other one is the daily mail.

Looks like someone decided to travel further back in time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...omplaints/amp/

The Romans would be the first to tell you to tear down statues of prior regimes if you disagreed with their actions.
    - Lars

If they didn't play a major part of the tourism industry, the pyramids would likely have been razed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

Today I learned that the Pyramids are statues. This about sums up the manufactured fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Today I learned that the Pyramids are statues. This about sums up the manufactured fear.
    No, today you learned that statues are but one type of monument.

Statues aren't needed for teaching history. So that argument was dead before it started. Nearly all confederate statues were erected to glorify that person and/or what they did. Some were put up as a general 'fuck you' to blacks and integration. They should be destroyed and in some cases preserved in a museum.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Statues aren't needed for teaching history. So that argument was dead before it started. Nearly all confederate statues were erected to glorify that person and/or what they did. Some were put up as a general 'fuck you' to blacks and integration. They should be destroyed and in some cases preserved in a museum.
    The many many confederate statues in Europe you mean? I suppose there might be some somewhere.. i guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    The many many confederate statues in Europe you mean? I suppose there might be some somewhere.. i guess
    We did have that one dude who was Swedish by blood and confederate by... I don’t remember... something stupid, like virtue...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    sometimes the past is not so long ago; spain removed Franco from his resting place in 2019.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle_de_los_Ca%C3%ADdos

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    spain removed Franco from his resting place in 2019
    Good thing they did it after a long legal process and not because goon swarm decided to raid his tomb

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to be brutally honest, when it came to the Leopold II statue and Belgians actions in the Congo asking for an apology from the Royal house is one thing and i can agree but for me my sympathy ended up vanishing like snow in the sun when the Congolese people and government made this a matter about money.

Going to push an unpopular opinion here and say that they have been getting supported for a long time, the regimes they vote in place are generally corrupt and squander what funds they are given on personal enrichment of the clans in power. And when it comes to violence in the Congo, that violence was not a Belgian import violence has been very common place there and ignoring this and acting as if it would be a land of milk and honey while they were literally cannibalizing themselves in certain regions.

Not going to use the colonial excuse of us bringing civilization there because we raised institutes and nicer looking building, not even remotely but the longer this dialogue goes on the more frustrated i end up getting at the continued complete lack of personal responsibility from the Congolese government and rampant corruption, especially the second we make any comments about it through the government they are not appreciated.

If Congo doesn't watch out all this will really do is create a platform in Belgium to really end up cutting all funding and support.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ng-complaints/

York Minster's Roman Emperor statue being 'looked at' following complaints

The future of a Roman Emperor statue outside York Minster is being "looked at" following complaints and the Archbishop of Canterbury’s call for a review of controversial monuments.

The Most Rev Justin Welby last week said that statues in Canterbury Cathedral and Westminster Abbey are going to be looked at "very carefully" to see if they should be there.

He made the comments in the wake of global Black Lives Matter protests and added that "some will have to come down" but that it is not his decision and that monuments would be put "in context".

Now York Minster is understood to be reviewing the statue of Emperor Constantine, after it received complaints that the Roman Emperor supported slavery.

This shit's getting ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    This shit's getting ridiculous.
    It was ridiculous from the start

7+ Year Old Account
    No shit he supported slavery, he was a fucking Roman emperor. Who is hurt by having a statue of him be up? Where are the people currently affected by his stance on slavery?

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    It was ridiculous from the start
    What's next? Do we need to change any book with names that are "problematic", like Constantinople, Adrianople, Caesarea, Alexandria, etc?

I hope this bullshit stays out of Greece....there's too much history there to destroy in the name of wokeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    No shit he supported slavery, he was a fucking Roman emperor. Who is hurt by having a statue of him be up? Where are the people currently affected by his stance on slavery?
    Maybe some people are offended by the fact that he had a crown.