Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Spell Variance Returning in Shadowlands

Spell Variance in Shadowlands
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    In an upcoming build, most non-periodic abilities on all classes will have a small amount of variance on the damage or healing of each individual use.

This was standard behavior in WoW for many years (and has its roots in familiar mechanics from many RPGs), but recently was lost as a side effect of some under-the-hood mechanical changes. We’re restoring this behavior now to bring back the small bit of texture, and avoid the result where using the same spell repeatedly results in exactly the same 3- or 4-digit number every time.

We’re keeping the amount of variance small (5% currently), so that the impact on total performance, over the course of a combat with many events, is negligible.

If they're gonna do this they may as well bring back DoT snapshotting.

I, for one, would welcome our new Affliction Warlock overlords.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a very minor change that will not have a major impact to anyone.

So expect a sea of criticism in 1...2...3...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post

No thanks
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wish they would bring back weapon scaling on abilites and weapon speed back, made weapons far more interesting rather than the stat sticks they are now

Yes please! Separate the bads from the goods.

Like...fine, but why? Is this a thing for people who fill their screen with yellow numbers instead of watching the game?

Yes please! Would make DoT based classes interesting again.

Uhm, hasnt Affliction rained supreme the last couple expacs even without DoT snapshotting?

I frankly never noticed. Our characters are riddled with random procs, buffs and debuffs that I don't think Ive hit for the same number twice in a row in the last couple of years.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I love this, I love how much Blizz are doing to poke at the idea of "solving" the game and showing how silly it is. Calm down, play with friends, or solo. All three options are supported.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I frankly never noticed. Our characters are riddled with random procs, buffs and debuffs that I don't think Ive hit for the same number twice in a row in the last couple of years.
    Still have SoO PTSD from afflocks dominance.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Still have SoO PTSD from afflocks dominance.
    Not sure why you quoted me .
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Doesn't matter much, so odd that they would go back and make this change that seemingly nobody was asking for.

If they make the variance too much, it brings too much RNG into the equation (Hello Infinite Stars) and people dislike it and if it is too little variance, it doesn't do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    I really wish they would bring back weapon scaling on abilites and weapon speed back, made weapons far more interesting rather than the stat sticks they are now
    Weapon speed doesn't need to be a thing, it wasn't really that important.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Perfectly acceptable if they can get the balance right, but it's going to feel bad doing exactly the same thing as someone identical to you in every aspect but pulling out less DPS all because you got a string of bad RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I love this, I love how much Blizz are doing to poke at the idea of "solving" the game and showing how silly it is. Calm down, play with friends, or solo. All three options are supported.
    This does nothing of the sort. It's like auto attacking, it averages out to the point that even a min-maxer won't care. All that happens is that they need to determin a (statistical) median value that they need to use instead in their calculations, instead just directly loading the database value.

If I had to classify this change then I would call it pointless window dressing, so that they put another thing onto the "look how RPG we are" list.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-07-22 at 07:51 PM.

Don't really see the point of this, but whatever. It doesn't affect anything.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Some of the takes on this thread are bizarre. 5% variance on a per-ability doesn't, in any way, make it easier or harder to "solve" the game. It has no impact on any meaningful content in terms of RNG. It's essentially a purely cosmetic change.

Not everything has to be about the current hot topic.
    Last edited by Demeisen; 2020-07-22 at 07:53 PM.

I don't like this. There is enough RNG already about random proccs lining or not lining up with your cooldowns.