Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

WoW devs picked the brains of Diablo 3 devs about rifts to design Torghast

There was a lot of debate about this. I was instantly turned off by Torghast because it reminded me too much of rifts. I fielded criticism that it had nothing to do with rifts, well, now we have official confirmation that WoW devs specifically consulted D3 devs to get insight on designing Torghast. So there is strong rift influence in its design and likely going forward with the game mode.

Definitely not buying SL.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Its just your opinion, we are nor interested on it. For me personal - i liked rifts and grifts.

Nice, I love rifts. Going rifts is much more fun than Island Expeditions.

Definitly b-.. oh wait.. I already did.

Well, goodbye then.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I bet, despite that declaration, it will not be the last thread about Shadowlands made by the OP.

Cya in shadowlands

I enjoyed Rifts in Diablo 3 when I played it so this isn't a bad thing. Torghat itself is looking to be way more "roguelike" than Rifts are so I don't see an issue.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Didn't we already know that? Specificially, that they got help on the technical side of things from the D3 devs, not on the gameplay, since that is actually significantly different.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only thing bad about rifts were the timers. Made it so you could use the builds you liked because they were too slow. So if Torghast is going to be like rifts then thats fine. Far better then being roguelike.

Sure, I get the concern. Overlap between Diablo and WoW is usually never a good thing.

But I'll take it from this post that you played BFA? In no realm of possibility is a GRIFT remotely as bad as Island Expeditions or whatever Warfronts were. And if you were exhausting timers in GRIFTS you were playing OBSCENELY bad.

Part of the plan with torghast is making a seemless proceduraly generated map for players to explore. Why would you like consult the Devs who did that in one of your companies own games? Then they are adding more layers on top of that that aren't like rifts...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I enjoyed Rifts in Diablo 3 when I played it so this isn't a bad thing. Torghat itself is looking to be way more "roguelike" than Rifts are so I don't see an issue.
    The entire Diablo series was originally based on roguelikes. That's fine. I love roguelike games and have played them like, forever. Nothing really else to say about the OP except that everyone has opinions. He/she likely won't be missed.

In any case, actual gameplay in WoW won't be anything at all like Diablo. It will be like WoW so it's dumb to prejudge just based on who someone talked to.

=======================

Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    I bet, despite that declaration, it will not be the last thread about Shadowlands made by the OP.
    Would that it were since he's apparently not going to buy or play it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-07-25 at 05:31 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I was instantly turned off by Torghast because it reminded me too much of rifts.
    And so what? "A reminds me of B" is not a valid criticism without explaining what you don't like about B and how A has similar elements.
    Also, we had Mythic plus for what? Four? Five years already? And those are a) greater rifts adapted to WoW mechanics and b) most popular high-end activity in WoW.

Can I have your gold?

blizz been copying parts of diablo 3 into wow for a long time.
    primarily because they want to make it a mindless cash cow with cheap to make yet very repeatable (and repetitive) content.
    surely thats one of the reason they dumbed down the classes to the point they are simpler than the ones in diablo3.

The rift system (and adventure mode, which is basically an add-on on top of that) basically revived Diablo 3 from being a completely scuffed dead game and made it into an enjoyable experience that it still is until today. I don't see how it's a bad thing to draw inspiration from that. If anything, it's a good idea.

At the same though, this still doesn't mean that torghas is exactly the same as D3 rifts, it means it has elements similar to it potentially, which is kind of obvious to everyone because it's a basic deep dungeon present also in FF14 for example.

Not sure why you think people care if you're buying SL or not, though.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Can I have your gold?
    Dang you already asked.

Well Op if you give me all your gold instead I promise to give you at least 10 gold back when you inevitably return.

Torghast has been one of the best recieved features released in wow. Never have there been more hype and attention around any alpha/beta feature like there has with torghast. So great idea then from the wow devs that talked to the diablo devs. Op is just complaining for the sake of it

You're telling me random generated terrain was helped coming to life by people who understands how random generated terrain works? wow, no way, what on earth, how dare they?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinkie View Post
    You're telling me random generated terrain was helped coming to life by people who understands how random generated terrain works? wow, no way, what on earth, how dare they?
    If it only was about random generated terrain...
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.