10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Corporate has also been insisting a V shaped recovery is coming!
    I got their V shape right here.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

54,199 new cases; about 4k fewer than last week.

Florida: 8,502 new cases; 182 deaths (♪♪ Why you always lyyyyyin'... ♪♪)
    California: 7,031 new cases; 104 deaths
    Texas: 6,892 new cases; 166 deaths
    Georgia: 4,423 new cases; 69 deaths
    Illinois: 2,190 new cases; 18 deaths
    Tennessee: 1,803 new cases; 9 deaths
    North Carolina: 1,699 new cases; 25 deaths
    Virginia: 1,307 new cases; 5 deaths
    Ohio: 1,289 new cases; 15 deaths
    South Carolina: 1,241 new cases; 45 deaths
    Mississippi: 1,210 new cases; 26 deaths
    Wisconsin: 1,165 new cases (new record); 6 deaths
    Arizona: 1,054 new cases; 56 deaths
    Indiana: 1,033 new cases; 13 deaths

5 states reported no data at all and several reported no data for deaths. This has become the norm for more and more of them on Saturdays. It should be rolled into the data for the next few days. Arizona seems to be truly out of the woods for now and may find themselves back under 1k cases soon--which they haven't done since the beginning of June. On the other hand, Illinois is still steadily increasing, hitting 2k for the second time in two days which they hadn't done since the end of May. Wisconsin hit a new record. Plenty of other states hovering around established highs. The first/second wave is still an ongoing concern and looks like it will be when the second/third wave from schools opening hits.

980 deaths, so that's down by a couple hundred since last Saturday. 165,070 total deaths in the US (over 96k of which can be laid at the feet of Trump according to Trump Death Clock). Several thousand others can be chalked up to his fucking ignorant supporters eschewing masks and other precautions. At this point I have little doubt we'll see 200k total dead within 2-3 months as a conservative estimate. Maybe shit will calm the fuck down in the coming weeks to change my mind on that, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Illinois: 2,190 new cases; 18 deaths
    About a month ago when I said Illinois fucked up its reopening. Here it is. The graph of cases is like textbook second wave. It's been frustrating to watch the numbers climb week after week for the past month and a half and the state leaders, who I thought did really well in March, repeat each week "It's getting worse, we really have to be careful" but do nothing. They're now saying "We have to be careful, we super-duper mean it now" while still doing nothing. Part of the issue is the first wave was mostly in Chicago where things could be contained a little better, but now it's spread all over the state and outside of Chicago Illinois is like a deep red state and hard to enforce any rules. It was southern Illinois state reps that sued to force Illinois to open early. Illinois was always going to be screwed though because every state that borders it didn't take it seriously and have all been doing worse recently and helped spread a lot of cases into Illinois (the states that border Illinois are a who's who of poor responses: Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana).
    Last edited by Nellise; 2020-08-09 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Trump is flailing about doing whatever he thinks will get him some votes. Gonna be exciting seeing how much more damage he does in the next several weeks.
    October is gonna be bonkers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, remember when the GOP flipped their shit because of Obama's EOs? Trump is just granting himself powers at this point.

Americans are not welcome in other countries.

https://news.yahoo.com/canada-u-visi...140830170.html

Title: Canada to U.S. Visitors: Please Don't Sneak Across the Border

Excerpts:

I was packing for my road trip from Colorado to Alberta, Canada, when the text came in from a gentleman I’d been helping with groceries during the pandemic.

The Canadians are actually doing damage to vehicles with United States plates on them,” he cautioned, giving me my first inkling that it wasn’t just public health officials who were serious about keeping Americans out of Canada, where the death rate from the coronavirus has been roughly half that of its southern neighbor.

As a dual citizen I was entitled to cross the border, closed to most Americans because of the pandemic.
    It is so bad that it has gotten the attention of prominent officials.

But my friend’s warning proved prescient. Some concerned residents who fear that the virus will be spread to their communities have been taking matters into their own hands, spurring so many reports of intimidation that the premier of British Columbia, John Horgan, reminded angry Canadians to “Be Calm. Be Kind” at a July 27 news conference.

Addressing those Americans who are in Canada legally, he said: “With respect to those who have offshore plates and are feeling harassed, I would suggest perhaps public transit. I would suggest that they get their plates changed. I would suggest that they ride a bike.”

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Here's an interesting study: 35% of all Americans said they would refuse a COVID-19 vaccine.

No, really.

"Oh, you're going to assume it's the rabid fanbase, aren't you?"

Well, Gallup did find the results by political party so...let's play a guessing game!

81% of Democrats said they'd get the vaccine.

59% of Independents said they'd get the vaccine.

47% of Republicans said they'd get the vaccine.

Guess which percent goes with which political party. Be honest, you were right, weren't you?
    In all fairness, hastily made flu vaccines are known to have issues. Finnish government was forced to pay massive amounts of money to people because teens had massive complications with the vaccine related to swine-flu in 2009 or so. It caused a narcolepsy wave that the people have to suffer from up to this date and they keep getting monetary compensation for it.

I am most definately pro-vaccination but we have real world results where too hasty vaccination results have proven to have extremely terrible side effects.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If the payroll EO actually goes into effect? Most definitely.
    Also, I might be dumb, but how is a payroll tax deferral supposed to help the 10+% of the population who's unemployed?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    In all fairness, hastily made flu vaccines are known to have issues. Finnish government was forced to pay massive amounts of money to people because teens had massive complications with the vaccine related to swine-flu in 2009 or so. It caused a narcolepsy wave that the people have to suffer from up to this date and they keep getting monetary compensation for it.

I am most definately pro-vaccination but we have real world results where too hasty vaccination results have proven to have extremely terrible side effects.
    I cant imagine that in the US. People getting complication but then having no way to get compensated.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Also, I might be dumb, but how is a payroll tax deferral supposed to help the 10+% of the population who's unemployed?
    It won't. And there's also that pesky little problem of how to pay for Social Security and Medicare, which are the whole point of payroll taxes.

Trump also said that "everyone" was asking for the payroll tax deferral. Which is funny, because literally no one (aside from his own dumb ass) was asking for it, because it's such a moronic idea.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Dems should sue and stop trumps executive orders
    they are illegal
    Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I'm also curious where the money behind those executive orders is supposed to come from. More reallocation from the military budget?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Why bother?
    reps spent 8 years sabatoging obama, we should sabatoge trump
    and if anything dems have been crazy in the fact theyve been giving republicans more money than they even asked for
    after 8 years of republicans telling us we couldnt spend a dime
    nancy should just let bad policies go through and if their effects are bad we can gain in november

nancy should just let bad policies go through and if their effects are bad we can gain in november
    Problem with that if Biden then wins. The republicans will start blaming all the bad stuff happening (as most policies won't have a vissible impact until 6-18 months after being signed) on the Democrats... like always

reps spent 8 years sabatoging obama, we should sabatoge trump
    and if anything dems have been crazy in the fact theyve been giving republicans more money than they even asked for
    after 8 years of republicans telling us we couldnt spend a dime
    They dont have the power to is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Super accurate campaign video for Trump 2020. If only Democrats were this good.
    WOW that's a good ad. Completely and totally awesome.

More honest than anything the mainstream media puts out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    WOW that's a good ad. Completely and totally awesome.

More honest than anything the mainstream media puts out too.
    Blame the mainstream media all you want, they're like this because so many idiots were crying that their side was being treated poorly when the truth of them was reported on while the other side fell right along with it saying that the news needed to be fair, failing to realize that it was and reporting on a political party being dicks isnt political, but truthful.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Super accurate campaign video for Trump 2020. If only Democrats were this good.
    "Authorised by the Department for Sacrificing Teachers to the Great BullGod to Make Line Go Up" perfectly summerizes Trump right now.
    All in all, that was incredible. The voice over, the complete disregard for human life, the fact that Portland and Chicago was excluded. It is so creepy that this ad felt like it was made by the Trump administration if everyone got their filters removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    In all fairness, hastily made flu vaccines are known to have issues.
    Perhaps. The exact question was "If an FDA-approved vaccine to prevent coronavirus/COVID-19 was available right now at no cost, would you agree to be vaccinated?" just so we're all clear, however.

Perhaps. The exact question was "If an FDA-approved vaccine to prevent coronavirus/COVID-19 was available right now at no cost, would you agree to be vaccinated?" just so we're all clear, however.
    I would. I would pay 100 bucks just to hook it to my veins
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

The FDA is not a nimble organization. I'm all for vaccines, but if the FDA approved one right now, there's no way it went through the proper testing. Some of these vaccines are being done with untested methods like the Novavax one and we really don't know what they do long term (Novavax hasn't had a single product released to the public).