I thought the deal was the usual song and dance dating back to the Clinton administration.

55,364 new cases, roughly 3k fewer than last Thursday.

California: 7,876 new cases; 186 deaths
    Texas: 7,236 new cases; 274 deaths
    Florida: 6,236 new cases; 147 deaths
    North Carolina: 2,657 new cases (new record); 66 deaths (new record) **
    Georgia: 2,515 new cases; 82 deaths
    Tennessee: 2,118 new cases; 24 deaths
    Illinois: 1,834 new cases; 24 deaths
    Missouri: 1,491 new cases; 9 deaths
    Arizona: 1,351 new cases; 36 deaths
    Ohio: 1,191 new cases; 24 deaths
    Michigan: 1,167 new cases; 16 deaths
    Louisiana: 1,135 new cases; 41 deaths
    Virginia: 1,101 new cases; 11 deaths
    Indiana: 1,043 new cases; 19 deaths

North Carolina is showing new records for both new cases and deaths today, however I think there must have been some technical error that required them to report yesterday's cases with today's considering they reported only 249 cases yesterday and no deaths. I'm going to call this a fluke and not a true new record as they had, up until this point, been on a slight decline the past week. Elsewhere it's much the same with states like Georgia and Tennessee--who have featured in my lists daily for weeks now--either leveled or beginning to fall off. Indiana continues to be a concern and Michigan had their highest total today since mid-May, so it's a bit of a mixed bag all around. So far there don't appear to be any outbreaks as devastating as what happened down south, but it's definitely still not under control nationally.

Deaths were slightly up from last Thursday at 1,284, putting the total at 170,415. Texas continues having huge numbers primarily because of their ongoing corrections, I believe. At this point I think it's pretty clear the US will easily pass 180k before the end of the month unless these numbers trend down soon and depending on how school openings go 200k is well within sight by the time flu season starts up to complicate things further. The CDC had this to say about it:

A top federal health official is issuing a dire warning: Follow recommended coronavirus measures or risk having the worst fall in US public health history.

"For your country right now and for the war that we're in against Covid, I'm asking you to do four simple things: wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands and be smart about crowds," said Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"I'm not asking some of America to do it," he told WebMD. "We all gotta do it."

Without following the recommendations, this could be "the worst fall, from a public health perspective, we've ever had," he said.
    Bolded for "not in Trump's 'Murica!"

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    If it's a good deal, then we should be happy about it - we have to maintain our intellectual honesty through this or we'll have nothing to come back to when we make it through.

What's interesting is that I'm not seeing a lot of news about this Israel/UAE deal, it's getting coverage, but not a lot of "breaking news". Which is interesting on a number of levels.
    the way it sounds, reminds me of the "Chyna" trade deal framework smoldering wreckage due to Trump needing to endlessly try to pawn his failure to handle COVID on China.

That said, I get what Netanyahu gets, with his corruption troubles, this is a play of "see you need me, so what if I wet my beak a bit, THINK OF THE PEACE!!!"
    but whats the UAE get? weapon deal maybe?
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Elsewhere it's much the same with states like Georgia and Tennessee--who have featured in my lists daily for weeks now--either leveled or beginning to fall off.
    GA opened a lot of schools about ten days ago. So uhhhh, that leveling could go back up soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    So first Obama, than Cruz, now Kamala birtherism and can't be president because, well, racism really.
    The Onion wouldn't even make this crap up. He really freaking went there?!
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Its cute that you all think Trump and the GOP wont be taking part in wide spread and incredibly blatant vote tampering this election year.

Why wouldn't they? When in the last 4 years have they really been held accountable for anything they do? We could have videos of people tampering with the machines in every single state as well as millions of votes by "John Doe" and people will raise a fuss and then not a thing will come of it and Trump will win.

There is no hope, stop thinking he's going to lose. He'll win with 90% of the electoral vote and all that will happen is a fuss will be raised for a month or two and then we'll be on to the next catastrophe.

There is no hope.
    None of us think there won't be vote tampering. Trump's already doing it with the PO.

And if he wins with 90% of the EC, there'll be riots in the street. That's dictator level, like even Lukashenko didn't go that far, and Belarus is already started to go off.

No there's gonna be tampering and it's gonna be ugly in November.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    GA opened a lot of schools about ten days ago. So uhhhh, that leveling could go back up soon.
    Yep, I'm expecting it too. I think early to late September is going to be the start of something pretty awful nationwide.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm seeing the details, but yeah, that is big news. Full normalization of relations between two countries, one of which wanted to wipe the other off the face of the earth is good news. I certainly hope other countries follow the UAE's lead.
    There are indications that Bahrain and Oman will sign a similar deal in few weeks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm glad that Republicans are increasingly throwing off any pretense at respectibility, civility, or decency.

Like, they're not pretending anymore. They're just being open at their anti-democratic, authoritarian, corrupt desires to wield power for personal gain. This is good, and I hope Democrats are grabbing all this footage they can and including it in attack ads everywhere. This stuff is gold.
    Not everyone around Trump is an idiot, if they are ok with saying stuff like this, maybe they don't actually fear how many will vote for the democrats because it will not be counted anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Soo... it looks like tRump is bringing back the good 'ol birtherism. I have nothing to comment that doesn't get me banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And Turkey for some reason thought it is in the right diplomatic position right now to be opposing this
    Turkey be Turkey, they play their own 4D chess there like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And Turkey for some reason thought it is in the right diplomatic position right now to be opposing this
    Are they wrong though?
    People may call this historic but is it really? To me this is just the confirmation that if Israel wanted they would have gotten peace with there neighbours decades ago, it's just that it wasn't convenient at that time because of fear mongering.

Arab countries are mostly in the pockets of the USA so if the president of the USA pressured the Arab countries even so slightly they would have gotten this peace years ago if the arab countries where the ones that are holding back.
    Instead right-wing Israel leaders like to fear monger "we are surrounded by those that hate us", an argument they use to win for decades and a argument they will lose if you nominalizme relationships.

Read the forward to Michael Cohen's new book:

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/08/1...not-parachutes

Yes, the book which landed Cohen BACK in jail after he was released to house arrest because of COVID. This is our justice department folks, now applying pressure through unlawful incarceration to silence people with damaging information about Dear Leader.

You have a front seat to the end of America, let a golden era of auhoritarianism shower over you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Read the forward to Michael Cohen's new book:

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/08/1...not-parachutes

Yes, the book which landed Cohen BACK in jail after he was released to house arrest because of COVID. This is our justice department folks, now applying pressure through unlawful incarceration to silence people with damaging information about Dear Leader.

You have a front seat to the end of America, let a golden era of auhoritarianism shower over you.
    Dang, that forward actually makes me feel sympathy for Cohen, which I assume he would say is more than he believes he deserves. But holy mother of ducks he mentioned a lot of things which this thread has been speculating and talking about, and that is terrifying.

If nothing, despite all the horrible things that man has done, I hope for his and his family's safety, as there are some loons who would probably try and act because of this book. Now to see if Trump is rage tweeting because of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Are they wrong though?
    People may call this historic but is it really? To me this is just the confirmation that if Israel wanted they would have gotten peace with there neighbours decades ago, it's just that it wasn't convenient at that time because of fear mongering.

Arab countries are mostly in the pockets of the USA so if the president of the USA pressured the Arab countries even so slightly they would have gotten this peace years ago if the arab countries where the ones that are holding back.
    Instead right-wing Israel leaders like to fear monger "we are surrounded by those that hate us", an argument they use to win for decades and a argument they will lose if you nominalizme relationships.
    That's a bunch of baloney to be honest.

The reason for this resent unspoken thaw between Israel and various Arab states is Iran. After all, it's not only Israel that is less than impressed by Iran's encroachment but the surrounding Arab nations too (at least those who are not in Iran's pocket to the varying extent like Iraq and Syria). At some point that is more important for countries like UAE, SA and so on, than the perpetual conflict with Israel.

It's not about "if Israel wanted or not wanted" or "US can just tell them to shut the fuck up and do it" - the circumstances now are changing in favor of it for various Arab nations with Iran encroaching on their doorsteps. They basically have a vital interest in this that is above various squabbles and symbols.

Hmm...
    It seems that Trump is on edge...some form of emotional exhaustion. Like he's giving up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...
    It seems that Trump is on edge...some form of emotional exhaustion. Like he's giving up.
    He is a fat, inactive, 70 year old... you add that arguing Biden/Harris are antifa that are extreme police supporters, is bound to give people an aneurism... it’s understandable... is he unable to go golfing this weekend?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    He is a fat, inactive, 70 year old... you add that arguing Biden/Harris are antifa that are extreme police supporters, is bound to give people an aneurism... it’s understandable... is he unable to go golfing this weekend?
    Trump is starving due to the lack of rallies, he needs to see the legions of his adoring morons to draw energy from them. I think that's what is taking the toll on him, it's not like he does any work and he still golfs every weekend. His morbid obesity, inactivity and unhealthy eating are standard the rallies are the only thing that have changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Trump is starving due to the lack of rallies, he needs to see the legions of his adoring morons to draw energy from them. I think that's what is taking the toll on him, it's not like he does any work and he still golfs every weekend. His morbid obesity, inactivity and unhealthy eating are standard the rallies are the only thing that have changed.
    Why did an image of Pence standing over Trump’s shoulder, saying “have another Big Mac” with a mr burns grin, just pop into my head?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That's a bunch of baloney to be honest.

The reason for this resent unspoken thaw between Israel and various Arab states is Iran. After all, it's not only Israel that is less than impressed by Iran's encroachment but the surrounding Arab nations too (at least those who are not in Iran's pocket to the varying extent like Iraq and Syria). At some point that is more important for countries like UAE, SA and so on, than the perpetual conflict with Israel.

It's not about "if Israel wanted or not wanted" or "US can just tell them to shut the fuck up and do it" - the circumstances now are changing in favor of it for various Arab nations with Iran encroaching on their doorsteps. They basically have a vital interest in this that is above various squabbles and symbols.

So Iran is to blame.....I've kind of gotten immune to this shadow boogeyman argument.
    It;s far more likely that Israeli government, who's right-wing politicians have become more extreme over the years, just found it convenient to nominalizme relationships with certain parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    What you've described is textbook "daddy didn't love me".