Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

So ive watched a bit of raiding in YouTube and twitch

So ive been following the new SL development and new raids and dungeons and been thinking about how Blizz develops them, everything they make nowadays is countered by an addon or help AKA DBM dont stand im fire etc etc and this really just popped into my mind

Thoughts

5+ Year Old Account
    Yep I agree and I've been thinking this for years.

But WeakAuras is even worse. This shit is downright cheating.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2020-09-09 at 11:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringers View Post
    So ive been following the new SL development and new raids and dungeons and been thinking about how Blizz develops them, everything they make nowadays is countered by an addon or help AKA DBM dont stand im fire etc etc and this really just popped into my mind

Thoughts
    An aimbot aims for you, DBM doesn't move you out of fire.

DBM in an FPS would literally just be a big thing that says "Shoot his head!" any time a player comes on screen.

Aimbots on fps games are illegal 3rd party tools that get you banned from multiplayer games. The game is not built with their usage in mind. So no, dbm is obviously nothing like an aimbot, nor any other cheat programme, because it literally is not a cheat. It's allowed, encouraged and to an extent endorsed
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-09-09 at 11:52 PM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post

DBM in an FPS would literally just be a big thing that says "Shoot his head!" any time a player comes on screen.
    Pretty much.

Blizzard have spoken about this before I'm pretty sure, talking about how they had two options: Keep addons/make more challenging fights, or break all addons/make easier fights. As someone who raided both sides of the coin (raiding TBC & a lot of Wrath without addons on simpler fighters & raiding more complex stuff later with addons), I think it's in a fine spot as-is.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Was gonna say pretty much the same thing.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

There is literally absolutely no comparison. Aimbot gives you an unfair advantage where you don't have to do much in order to win. DBM just helps you know what the mechanics are. DBM doesn't move your character for you. People still die to mechanics even with DBM. This is the most asinine comparison I have ever seen. They are nothing alike.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its funny. No addons don't actually move you, but they do everything else. They can tell you what buttons to push to maximize your rotation, tell you whos casting what.. so why is it not considered botting. I think that's one reason I prefer FFXIV gameplay to WoW, just overall better experience in combat.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

Hm, where is the option on DBM/BW that moves your character out of mechanics for you?

Thoughts
    Except your image is wrong in aspects. Aimbots will play the game for you and basically get you the kill. DBM/WA/etc don't play the game for you and can't make you do the mechanics. All it can do is warn you about things, it is still up to the players to do what is needed. Otherwise you would have far more mythic raiders and such with max kills because it would be "aimbotting" for them.

DBM would be the same thing as your raid leader calling out when to move, etc just like what we had in Classic WoW. The only difference is now with the addon is raid leaders can focus calling out more important things / pay attention to other things rather than callouts that the addon can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant remember last time my dbm moved me out of bad shit and did my rotation, maybe i forgot to enable a certain option for that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account

Thoughts
    That's absolute nonsense.

Aimbots do exactly what the name says. DBM doesn't move your toon out of bad shit for you, or interrupt lethal spells for you. All DBM does is alert you to stuff, how you react to those things is 100% on you.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    Its funny. No addons don't actually move you, but they do everything else. They can tell you what buttons to push to maximize your rotation, tell you whos casting what.. so why is it not considered botting. I think that's one reason I prefer FFXIV gameplay to WoW, just overall better experience in combat.
    Because you still have to do the inputs yourself. That's why it's not botting. None of it is automated.

Yall falling for his bait

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

I have recently started to use weakauras in my wow career of 16 years. I just wanted to track some buffs clearly as default buffs at top right is damn crowded cannot figure out in time.

WHat else people use it for? how it becomes cheating? Can you give a few examples? I am really curious to know. No sarcasm here.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I have recently started to use weakauras in my wow career of 16 years. I just wanted to track some buffs clearly as default buffs at top right is damn crowded cannot figure out in time.

WHat else people use it for? how it becomes cheating? Can you give a few examples? I am really curious to know. No sarcasm here.
    It can literally auto assign people to do mechanics, where normally you'd have to do that the old fashioned way in the middle of the fight, greatly trivializing bosses.

@enigma77 oh? sorry for asking but if you have time can you explain more in detail? which boss for example in bfa?
    i am seriously new to this wa stuff. even figuring out how to show the buffs i wanted took huge amount of time. I could never have time for mythic raiding but, through all expansions I have always gotten my aotc quite fast (as a reference with my familiarity with the boss fights)

I laughed at your comment. Genuinely. However do consider this. In an FPS game your reaction and precision are the two most vital things in combat. An Aimbot moves your cursor and locks it onto the target's head for you thus providing those two for you. In a tab-target combat MMO like WoW, the most important things in combat are gear, knowledge and timing (as in your rotation order, when to use CDs, etc). And addons like DBM and WeakAuras provide those for you.

What they do not provide is gear/power. But you can buy gear/power with money (although BoEs are veeeery expensive, technically it is possible). These addons don't give you as much an unfair advantage in WoW as an aimbot does in an FPS, but keep in mind that you are comparing not just two different softwares but two different games. In an MMORPG, knowledge is one of the most powerful tools to have. Take a look at Classic. The supposedly hardcore MMORPG being trivialized like a loot pinata by the now knowledgable playerbase. And these addons provide you that. Where is the fun from discovering things on your own? Only top Mythic players who pave the path for everyone else get to enjoy that. And to be a top Mythic raider, other than ofc having the knowledge, skill etc, you also need to "work" WoW full-time (to grind all the stuff you need to even be considered for a casual Mythic guild).

And ofc, casuals have the choice to form their own guild to progress blindly without using addons or other people's strategies and I've been there in one. They were clearing Normal on first week and Heroic on second week then all go on break till next raid. Was fun times. But how many guilds are like that? It sure is hard to find such a guild. Nobody wants to choose the path of more resistence when there are such convenient options such as WA and DBM and YouTube guides.

We had a fucking Google spreadsheet for Garrosh 25M Heroic. Was that cheating? No. It was a tool we used to help us defeat the boss. Just like DBM is. Just like Weak Auras are. The fact that an overwhelming number of people have these tools and still fail most mechanics is quite literally what separates people playing the game at the highest level from those who do not. This is a non-argument often brought up by people who are barely clearing LFR content and feel like there exists some invisible barrier to playing at high levels.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

I agree, but without these add-ons, the player base would be even worse overall. These tools help bads, become almost average players. And in turn, generate more revenue to help build the game more. It sucks no matter how we look at it.

I wish DMB/BigWigs, were banned. 100%. People need to LEARN the mechanics, not just react to a message saying move over here, or stack with this person etc.