Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    We'll almost certainly see changes, but just going from right now the covenant is pretty much going to lock you into a spec. The necrolord is just far and away the best for Arcane yet nearly useless for the other two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Night Fae for Frostfire Weave Arcane.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    You're absolutely right, but with Kyrian you get an actuel useful ability (for PvE), and Pelagos gives 5% versa and 5% mastery, that's pretty good
    Kyrian gives you one useful PvE ability, as does Venthyr, and I'd wager Venthyr's will be more important for boss encounters and M+. Both covenants also give one basically dead ability, so it breaks even. In any case, there's still a chance for Mirrors to get fixed, but even without it the soulbind trees for Kyrian has so much bloat and healing focus that any DPS gained from Radiant Spark could be made up through just having Nadja.
    BfA Beta Time

Has the Mage community come to a consensus what covenant is best for raids/M+/PVP?

For me I think Necrolord will be nice for Frost. Deathborne lines up with Icy Veins, and Frost already looking like it will be a monster for cleave fights/M+. The only issue I have with Necrolord is that their conduits/soulbinds look like complete ass for DPS.

Now on the other hand. I'm not a big fan of the Night Fae class ability for mages, but I do think their conduits/soulbinds are looking really good for DPS. Plus the Night Fae covenant ability looking cool as well.

So I'm kind of torn between the two on which I will pick for my Frost Mage. I will look more into the Kyrian stuff later, but my first glance at it didn't really impress me.

5+ Year Old Account
    Thematically, the Kyrians' Radiant Spark fits very nicely with my Arcane mage. The thing is, I'm not too sure I want to spend the next two years in a HoV 2.0, full of goody goody owlbois and blue humans
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Thematically, the Kyrians' Radiant Spark fits very nicely with my Arcane mage. The thing is, I'm not too sure I want to spend the next two years in a HoV 2.0, full of goody goody owlbois and blue humans
    According to Preach, Venthyr is not as useful as previously thought (removal of instant conduit and not really any way to cheese a dungeon), and Kyrian's ability is looking better and better; the raid and some dungeons are nuts full of bleeds and various debuffs that the vial removes

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Yeah am seriously considering leveling a 4th Mage to max level to get all covenants. So when they nerf and buff the covenants mid expansion I already have an alt Mage with the FotM Covenant.
    That is actually smart.

Takes no time to level them anyway, you have 3 fun specs to go and you get to repeat your favorite one lol.
    Gear? please, it takes a day or two to be nearly top equipped around mid expansion

Only the legos and some other stuff like reps might be a pain down there behind..

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Visually Nightfae by far.

It just sucks that it's god awful compared to Necrolord for Arcane.
    how is the night fae awful for arcane? you already have to be in melee for AE, and the cool down reduction lowers all cooldowns so arcane power, PoM, Touch of the magi, shields, evocation. even if it a channel ability, during that time your not casting so you are regenerating mana. i feel the others specs are hit harder than arcane using this ability.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Whoever on beta and playing GS frost, do you feel like any covenants are somewhat useful and which one the most.

Necrolords because S K E L L I N G T O N

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Has the Mage community come to a consensus what covenant is best for raids/M+/PVP?

For me I think Necrolord will be nice for Frost. Deathborne lines up with Icy Veins, and Frost already looking like it will be a monster for cleave fights/M+. The only issue I have with Necrolord is that their conduits/soulbinds look like complete ass for DPS.

Now on the other hand. I'm not a big fan of the Night Fae class ability for mages, but I do think their conduits/soulbinds are looking really good for DPS. Plus the Night Fae covenant ability looking cool as well.

So I'm kind of torn between the two on which I will pick for my Frost Mage. I will look more into the Kyrian stuff later, but my first glance at it didn't really impress me.
    You don't cleave (or do much damage) with your frostbolts though. You take it for the 10% damage unless you're going arcane.
    The Kyrian sure puts out more 1 and 2 target damage for frost and fire as it is now. But thats just numbers at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kreo View Post
    Whoever on beta and playing GS frost, do you feel like any covenants are somewhat useful and which one the most.
    Kyrian for sure. That GS will probably get nerfed though.
    That whole row is poorly balanced as it is now.

None of them are that fun to use though, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post

I am leaning towards Night Fae, since I mainly focus on PvP these days.

The Wild Hunt's Charge conduit turns Soulshape + Invisibility into a poor man's version of the old mage ability Deep Freeze. Even without that meme combo, having yet another blink type ability to kite melee or land polymorph seems appealing. Even Shifting Power seems like it might end up being decent, since you can take it from a 6 second to 3 second channel eventually.

Shifting Power is nature school, too, so it might be useful to bait out interrupts or at the very least gives you a button to press if you get locked on your primary school.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreo View Post
    No one is really playing Glacial Spike since the conduits buff Icy Veins and Ice Lance. TV all day baby.
    BfA Beta Time

Kyrian radiant spark seems to be the best synergy with how I play. However, I prefer the aesthetics and lore of the night faes.

Sooo.. the changes to the night fae ability, how much does that impact considerations?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Sooo.. the changes to the night fae ability, how much does that impact considerations?
    Makes it a tad better for my pvp-ly considerations. Which I like, because Night Fae has a cool aesthetic. Just turning into a soul shape toad, worth it!

While Venthyr seems like the stronger option, the more I see of that covenant, the less I enjoy the edginess of it all. Don't wanna be stuck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    We'll almost certainly see changes, but just going from right now the covenant is pretty much going to lock you into a spec. The necrolord is just far and away the best for Arcane yet nearly useless for the other two.
    Not a chance.... once every 3 minutes is too long, the Kryian one is up for all your other CDs and synergise better with ToM and PoM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Not a chance.... once every 3 minutes is too long, the Kryian one is up for all your other CDs and synergise better with ToM and PoM.
    I posted that two months ago, a lot has changed

After the nerfs/changes mages are in the best position (to me) where basically all the abilities are meh so you can just pick what you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    I posted that two months ago, a lot has changed
    A lot has changed indeed, however that synergy is pretty damned nice.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.