10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    I honestly believe that the election will be fraudulent... But not from the Democrats.
    Not anywhere near as fraudulent as 1876 though. I really believe any actual voter fraud will be very limited and local. The GOP uses other methods to steal elections, like Gerrymandering, voter suppression, and suing to get ballots thrown out. Actually sending large numbers of fraudulent ballots isn't sustainable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Yeah but Hillary had some emails and I'm mad that Bernie lost.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Well, that's one way to jumpstart a civil war and many would fully support the efforts to correct that injustice.
    There won't be a civil war, for the simple reason that there won't be anyone to truly fight it. Billy Joe from Bumfuck, Mississippi isn't going to fight for anything, regardless of how much he complains on Facebook about Democrats. The average CiViL wAr saber-rattler is a coward hiding behind what their idealized view of what "power" is, however when confronted they crumple like wet napkins.

Well, at least the ones that don't crumble from Diabetes or Cholesterol related complications.

Oh don't get me wrong, there'd be some Wingnut terrorism, but that's no different than right now, and they're too few and far in between to cause any real sustained damage.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Enforcing subpoenas that have thus far not been enforced. We all know the Trump Organization is the target of a massive NYState investigation, and Cohen is likely involved. Considering the state of SCOTUS, it would be 100% fair game to simply take Trump's taxes right now. If Trump wants to stack the deck, change the dealer.
    That would be a very reasonable move on NYState's part, if Trump goes for some shit-stain surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    This did happen once before, in 1876. Three states threw out their popular vote totals because they didn't trust them, and voted for Rutherford B. Hayes instead of Tilden. All three states had Republican Governments, and Hayes was a Republican. Democracy survived, sort of. Reconstruction did not survive, part of the fallout of that was the end of Republican Governments in the south.

That said, the fundamental reasons why those votes were not trusted is very different in 2020 then it was in 1876. In 1876, dozens of prefects were reporting vote totals WAY higher then their registered voters, as White Democrats packed ballots. They were also printing Democratic Ballots with Republican images on them, to scam illiterate voters into voting Democrat by accident. In short, voter fraud was very, very real then, and very, very public. Trump is attempting to pitch the narrative that this election will also be wildly fraudulent, except this time it isn't remotely true.
    I can see Trump and Barr doing exactly that - pushing that election fraud narrative to circumvent the election process.

If that tact works, SCOTUS might back it vis a vis states' rights to pick their electoral process. And the battleground states favor Republican legislator majorities (I think).

10+ Year Old Account
    Civil War or another Brooks Brothers Riot.

Will probably be led by GOP crisis actors.

Media will report, "just some concerned citizens."

One might argue that we're already in the middle of a civil Cold War.
    Government Affiliated Snark

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...d7i-story.html

Eric's attempt to delay his sworn testimony until after the election has been casually discarded by the judge on the case, which is looking into whether or not the Trump family engaged in financial wrongdoing by inflating property values to obtain tax breaks.

He has two weeks to prepare for his testimoney.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Right now the last slim home seems to be pressuring Graham into not moving forward with the nominee in committee in fear of losing his seat. Though I doubt if that will be enough, because as I said with Collins he'll be met with an avalanche of lucrative post-Senate lobbying gigs in an effort to secure his vote while giving him a reward for the end of his career in public office. But that will mean the Republicans are playing with potentially losing Senate seats, so it's more than likely a pointless fantasy of mine.
    Isn't Grassley still on that committee? Since committees are majorities of 1, don't you only need 1 Republican to switch to block it coming out of committee? He's also said in the past they shouldn't nominate someone this close to an election.

Or does it only rely on the Chairman's recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Isn't Grassley still on that committee? Since committees are majorities of 1, don't you only need 1 Republican to switch to block it coming out of committee? He's also said in the past they shouldn't nominate someone this close to an election.

I think he's still on it, but doesn't chair it. He's already come out and said he's not opposed to moving forward with a nominee though.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...d7i-story.html

Eric's attempt to delay his sworn testimony until after the election has been casually discarded by the judge on the case, which is looking into whether or not the Trump family engaged in financial wrongdoing by inflating property values to obtain tax breaks.

He has two weeks to prepare for his testimoney.
    I would bet all my money that Eric never makes that testimony. No way, no how. Trump and his legal team (already at $60M in billables btw - woot deplorables!) cannot allow Eric the-dumbest Trump to get on the stand. Not before the election.

apparently if trump loses he will have republican legislators dictate the electoral votes go to him instead of the popular vote winner in that state
    if you thought the electoral college was bad because of 2016, just wait til it turns out you can win the popular vote in the swing states and still lose,
    and he gets a republican majority on the court, so theres literally nothing we can do. permanent gop rule

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

It's now headed by Graham who, despite his very public quote about using his words against him if there's a vacancy in 2020, has already come out and stated he would support voting and confirming whomever Trump puts forward.

Anyone who thought Grassley, Graham, Romney or the like were going to grow a pair and follow through on their word really hasn't been paying attention to the last 4 years. And I highly doubt that Collins and Murkowski will say no because they're being principled, it's a tactic to try and get a little support from moderates and center-left voters to stay in office. If Graham and Grassley had come out and said they'd be sticking to their word I can almost guarantee you either Collins or Murkowski (or both) wouldn't have come out with a solid answer and then voted to confirm whoever Trump put up.

The "principled Republican" act from these folks is just that, an act. Out of all the times they had a chance to actually stand for the principles they allege to hold, I can think of only one time when they all actually followed through and went against Trump and McConnell. Otherwise they just let the ones who would benefit the most from putting on appearance of "standing up to Trump".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this is what I was talking about before, kind of. The Party of Trump can try to deflect with What If, but Trump's business could actually be charged and shut down.

actually looks (and sounds) better than the real thing

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Now would be a good time for Republicans to remember they are an aging minority in this country, with most of their population in poverty ridden states with some of the worst healthcare in any modern country.

Before they try anything too cute, you know.
    Remember fellas, Marx said :“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

https://www.marxists.org/archive/mar...e/1850-ad1.htm
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...PJa?li=BBnb7Kz

“We need nine justices,” Trump said at the White House Tuesday. “You need that with the unsolicited millions of ballots that they’re sending. It’s a scam. It’s a hoax. Everybody knows that. And the Democrats know it better than anybody else. So you’re going to need nine justices out there. I think it’s very important.”

I think this will end up in the Supreme Court and I think it’s very important to have nine justices,” Trump said on Wednesday of the upcoming election, He added, “And I think having a 4-4 situation is not a good situation, if you get that — I don’t know that you get that I think it should be 8-nothing or 9-nothing. Just in case it would be more political than it should be, I think it’s very important to have a ninth justice.”
    Trump saying the quiet part out loud again. As well as not knowing how the SCOTUS works.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In the ongoing effort to prove what hypocrites they are, several Party of Trump Senators are claiming Hunter Biden's work with Ukraine was unethical.

"Of course, we're ignoring Kushner, Ivanka, and especially Trump himself when we say this," they basically admit. "I mean, Trump said directly that Russia wasn't in Ukraine, then was corrected to his face, and clarified that Russia wouldn't be in Ukraine if Trump had been in charge. Then, Trump did fuck-all about it, and invited Russia to G8 personally. Basically, we have no choice but to be hypocrites, because it is not possible to back Trump in any other way."
    Which is funny, cuz the investigators in Ukraine said that Hunter Biden wasn't even being investigated. Meanwhile, Ron Johnson, signed the letter that Biden sent to Ukraine, to get the corrupt prosecutor fired. And now he is sucking Trump's cock to win re-election with Trump's psycho fanatics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...PJa?li=BBnb7Kz

Trump saying the quiet part out loud again. As well as not knowing how the SCOTUS works.
    Also, isn't saying that you need a tie breaker to make it in your favor MAKING it political/biased?

Like if he never mentions the election, the idea of having a tie breaker is definitely a good idea. But the moment that you mention that you want it for a specific reason, that just flushes reason down the gold-plated toilet.
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2020-09-23 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I mean I no doubt believe he would try. But if electors went against the popular vote within their state, they would become enemy combatants as well as anyone still supporting Trump at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I mean I no doubt believe he would try. But if electors went against the popular vote within their state, they would become enemy combatants and targeted by a mob of angry voters.
    Believe they can't anymore. The "faithless" electors aren't a thing anymore, I believe. https://www.npr.org/2020/07/06/88516...constitutional

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    apparently if trump loses he will have republican legislators dictate the electoral votes go to him instead of the popular vote winner in that state
    if you thought the electoral college was bad because of 2016, just wait til it turns out you can win the popular vote in the swing states and still lose,
    and he gets a republican majority on the court, so theres literally nothing we can do. permanent gop rule
    This might get very scary. With SCOTUS in the bag I am seeing a real possibility of Trump doing everything to rig this election. These are frightening times.

Maybe more in General Election thread but remember as much as we can be comfortable in polls it is till up to this shitty Electoral College so Trump effin a few states is all he needs.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!