Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am not going to support that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    So, again:

It seems you have a chronic deficiency in your ability to handle opinions different than yours.
    or more likely you have a chronic deficiency for shilling for scumy practices we get it overwolf is paying you.

only a overwolf employee would support such practices

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu fhtagn View Post
    Going to a website that has ads to download them is not free, nor is using a downloader that is monetized in some way. From what i understand WoWup goes around all that without asking the authors of the mods. Even when overwolf is garbage the creators of the mods need to have the choice of not giving out their shit for free.
    Mods have to be free or blizzard will break the api they use in wow lol. Dbm a while back had to ask for support in the form of donations or patreon because it was unsustainable. If one of the most used addons in the game cant survive with the revenue they give out no one is making much of anything from hosting their work and collecting the pittance of add revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    or more likely you have a chronic deficiency for shilling for scumy practices we get it overwolf is paying you.

Overwolf isn't paying anyone here. We sinmply disagree with you.

You clearly cannot handle opinions different than yours. The only thing scummy here is you freeloading off of the hard work of the addon creator.,

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    The addon makers aren't going to turn down money. Curse is paying them. They aren't going to leave money so people can rip them off for free.
    Get outta here with that crap, addons have allways been free for users, and the userbase will never agree to buy addons if Overwolf tries that shit.

Or a person with a more rational view of the situation who doesn't need to resort to condescending insults to try to get a point across, unlike a certain poster whose profile name starts with "niztheu", ends with "ndead87", and has 14 characters in its name.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2020-10-10 at 04:57 PM.

Overwolf isn't paying anyone here. We sinmply disagree with you.

You clearly cannot handle opinions different than yours. The only thing scummy here is you freeloading off of the hard work of the addon creator.,
    freeloading ? like everyone has been doing for years? find another excuse to cover up the malware page

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    Mods have to be free or blizzard will break the api they use in wow lol. Dbm a while back had to ask for support in the form of donations or patreon because it was unsustainable. If one of the most used addons in the game cant survive with the revenue they give out no one is making much of anything from hosting their work and collecting the pittance of add revenue.
    They will be free. No user will ever be charged to download an addon with Overwolf. Overwolf is simply paying the creators from ad revenue. The creators of DBM will now get paid by the site. NOBODY will be charged to download the addon. Therefore, no violation of ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    Mods have to be free or blizzard will break the api they use in wow lol.
    They are free and will remain free.

I'm a bit confused with this and I don't think I care. Wowhead very recently came up with their own addon downloader and I'm using that at the moment. It's lightweight, quick and does the job twitch app did. Why would I need some overwolf instead? Am I missing something?
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

freeloading ? like everyone has been doing for years? find another excuse to cover up the malware page
    I have donated to every mod creator that I have used mods from. Have you? I don't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I'm a bit confused with this and I don't think I care. Wowhead very recently came up with their own addon downloader and I'm using that at the moment. It's lightweight, quick and does the job twitch app did. Why would I need some overwolf instead? Am I missing something?
    Wowhead is using the curse database. That access is going to be cut off.

I have donated to every mod creator that I have used mods from. Have you? I don't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Wowhead is using the curse database. That access is going to be cut off.
    are you going to pay for me since you are so willing to virtue signal here?

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Because that 3rd party addon updater is using curse/overwolf database to download those addons. Without curse/overwolf, none of the 3rd party tools could work. In the recent post from overwolf they are saying that they are no longer providing the 3rd party tools with the addons = all 3rd party tools are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    Get outta here with that crap, addons have allways been free for users, and the userbase will never agree to buy addons if Overwolf tries that shit.
    Nobody is going to be charged to download an addon. The only thing that is changing is that Overwolf is paying the creators. They will pay them through ad revenue and by how many downloads. That means when you download the add on, that increases what the creator gets from Overwolf.

- - - Updated - - -

are you going to pay for me since you are so willing to virtue signal here?
    How about since you are so pro addon creator you donate to them?

If other addon managers want to exist, they can host their own damn files. Or find someone willing to host files whilst their site is completely bypassed (good luck with that).

Addons that exist elsewhere outside of these managers do so because they have their own sites, or are hosted on sites that require you to go to them. That's how it works. If you want to use someone's stuff, you have to be part of how they pay to run that stuff. If you are just yoinking their files and are outside of how they pay to maintain those servers, you are using resources and contributing nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think it goes both ways. Yeah, Overwolf adds and all, but it also hits addon makers, as they get a share of profits from adds there.

There's no simple one sided truth here, addon makers don't get paid for their considerable time investment and this is their only reibusment for time spent that does not require direct donation.

I think there should be some middle ground here. If Overwolf would provide a standalone add-ons client that has adds banner, but does not require installation of their full client, I'd be down for it.

Nobody is going to be charged to download an addon. The only thing that is changing is that Overwolf is paying the creators. They will pay them through ad revenue and by how many downloads. That means when you download the add on, that increases what the creator gets from Overwolf.

- - - Updated - - -

How about since you are so pro addon creator you donate to them?
    can we have proof you actually donated because what you are doing here is pretty much talking out of your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I actually think it goes both ways. Yeah, Overwolf adds and all, but it also hits addon makers, as they get a share of profits from adds there.

There's no simple one sided truth here, addon makers don't get paid for their considerable time investment and this is their only reibusment for time spent that does not require direct donation.

I think there should be some middle ground here. If Overwolf would provide a standalone add-ons client that has adds banner, but does not require installation of their full client, I'd be down for it.
    That is what the curse forge app will be.

Wouldnt What OW is doing violate Blizzard's ToS and force blizzard to give them a Cease and Desist Warning?
    Last edited by Hablion; 2020-10-10 at 05:16 PM.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    Wouldnt What OW is doing violate Blizzard's ToS and force blizzard to give them a Cease and Desist Warning?
    Addons created are not blizzards. Blizzard can not ban/sue you from creating addons and put them behind a pay wall. A good example is zygor, he is doing that for 15 years now.