Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How would you feel about "premium membership"

Given that there are many problems currently facing the game, how would you feel about Blizzard giving you the option of paying extra every month for a "premium membership"? Perks could include:

-Priority login queues (important for raiders on patch days and expansion launches)
    -Free race and faction changes
    -Priority server connection
    -(In SL) free instant Covenant changes

Basically it doesn't impact much but gives raiders an easier time adjusting to meta changes.

No. $15 is already premium.

No. the reason why MMO's are so great is that everyone pays the same, thus equal

15+ Year Old Account
    None of those reasons would make me switch to a more expensive sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I'd actually quit if this was a thing.

Paying a bit more monthly for free race & faction changes sounds nice on paper, but it'd open the door to a lot of abuse. Sod off with any sort of queue priority system, though.

No thanks. That'd open a can of worms that should remain closed.

15 euro a month is basically nothing, and should be preserved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. That would eventually just become baseline for anyone who wanted to get into any sort of raiding guild. Especially with things like priority server connections and login queues. I see no reason to have any of Blizz's engineering staff work on stuff that give a tiered sort of setup for those who can afford more.

That being said, I did sign up for the extra membership fee to have mobile AH access when that was a thing, so I'm not opposed to it as an overall idea. Perhaps linking it with free character services, a free store mount every 6 months, stuff like that I'd be more OK with. Just I don't want this to be something that affects gameplay and becomes in essence a requirement to raid.

They already offer "premium membership". Have you looked at the various ways you can buy an expansion? You can buy the base package which is just the game, then they have different tiers above that all the way to a physical box with an art book, mousepad etc.

Given that there are many problems currently facing the game, how would you feel about Blizzard giving you the option of paying extra every month for a "premium membership"? Perks could include:

-Priority login queues (important for raiders on patch days and expansion launches)

Basically it doesn't impact much but gives raiders an easier time adjusting to meta changes.
    I already have been paying 6month subs since TBC, they've taken enough of my Money, so No Thank You.

To borrow a line from Dr Evil, "How about no".

10+ Year Old Account
    Angry and disappointed.
    Everyone's paying monthly, so it's already a premium menbership.
    I'd be more willing to shell out an extra buck or two each month, given that inflation is a thing. But if they decide on doing that they better deliver some serious content.

Some people are not right in the head, Jesus fucking Christ.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Your the reason amusement parks have FAST PASS. Please stop. Go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The first three items seem like they might be a thing some people want, as long as it wasn't one of those things where they call it "premium" but really the premium people get currently normal service whereas the non-premium users get random disconnects and terrible lag. The fourth item confers actual power imbalance that would push this from "premium" to "pay-to-win" in my view of things, so I'd definitely say having a premium tier for that would be a slippery slope.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    Your the reason amusement parks have FAST PASS. Please stop. Go away.
    Technically speaking that's capitalism, not the mmochampion forum poster Wilfire.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as the price would stay so low that it's insignificant, I wouldn't mind having certain perks. Not instant covenant changes and such though.

Max I'd be willing to pay for something before I started thinking it's getting expensive would probably be.. $49? So give me perks for that shiz, sure.
    Hi

No.

WoW has no 'decent' free mode. The 'free' limitations (level cap, mail restrictions, etc) make it not worth playing unless you pay the sub. Until WoW has a true free-to-play mode, no extra subscription tiers should even be considered.

Throwing more money at servers does not solve the problem of login queues. Concurrency is one of the biggest challenges in running any digital service. You can scale horizontally (more servers), vertically (faster servers), both (more fast servers), but you reach a point where you simply have more people trying to access a service that provisioning more resources is extremely time consuming and difficult to manage.

Prioritising one customer over another being able to play the game says that you don't give a damn about those customers who are paying their sub, but not paying for premium. That's a really good way to get people to walk away. People are less likely to accept premium on top of premium these days than they were 5 years ago, especially if there's also still microtransactions.

You seem to believe that this 'premium queue skipping' is a good thing for gaming, yet they don't ever consider the sheer number of people that would buy a service would mean they'd actually still be sat in a queue, just with other premium players. It's been tried with other games, and it does not work for the players.

Changing covenants instantly if you pay for premium is encouraging a pay to win mentality, which we absolutely do not ever want in the game. When the first 'extra' service was introduced (Race Change, back in 2009, during Wrath), we were worried about where it would lead. We made it very clear that we would walk away from the franchise if we ever saw the ability to buy power (e.g. gear) for money. These were reiterated when the level boost service was introduced, but people came to accept that being a crappy-geared max level character wouldn't get you seasonal Gladiator or much success in PVP or raids.

Please don't ever float such ideas ever again.

No, but I'd gladly take an Expansion Pass, where I say pay an extra $200 for the expansion and have a 'subscription' that lasts until the next expansions release.

You lost me at the last one which would give a clear and defined in-game advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.